gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:55:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Redwood- tell everything you know!  (Read 16587 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2006, 08:37:35 PM »

alright, i was reading in BW's WIBN My Own Story (I do know the story of how Redwood got together) and Brian was saying he was teaching those guys 4 songs (including Time to Get alone & Darlin), so the question is....what are the other two? I know that in the SS/WH two-fer booklet, it mentions A Thing Or Two being apart of the Redwood sessions if I'm not mistaken. Maybe Here Comes the night as well? that's just a stab in the dark...also, on the following page in that book...it tells a story of working with the Philharmonic and Brian asking Marilyn to get Binaka for all the string players...was this Time to Get Alone sessions?
If you know of any other details of dates/places recorded and good stories, tell me!  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Chris D.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 08:40:42 PM »

The other song you're after is one that never came out, I think.  I can't remember the exact title at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it has "Maiden" in it.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 09:26:25 PM »

Sunflower Maiden?

Watch out for snakes!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 09:31:05 PM »

Were any of these songs ever recorded/released?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 09:35:56 PM »

Yes.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 09:40:31 PM »

Sunflower Maiden?

Yeah.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »

YAH!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2006, 10:51:22 PM »

A BDW/VDP collaboration. Never recorded as far as I know. Someone once told me - waaaay before the 2fers came out, 1983 or so -  that "A Thing Or Two" was originally intended for Redwood.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 05:23:34 AM »

really? awesome.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:15:51 AM »

I'd bet you dollars to donuts several of the songs on Wild Honey were originally earmarked for Redwood, at least in Brian's mind, accounting for the change of style.

I asked Van Dyke about "Sunflower Maiden," and he said he'd ask Danny Hutton next time he saw him, but he never got back to me about it. Maybe I'll nag him and see.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »

I'd bet you dollars to donuts several of the songs on Wild Honey were originally earmarked for Redwood, at least in Brian's mind, accounting for the change of style.

I asked Van Dyke about "Sunflower Maiden," and he said he'd ask Danny Hutton next time he saw him, but he never got back to me about it. Maybe I'll nag him and see.
Isn't it strange how the songs intended for Redwood are back-to-basic (Darlin' & assuming other Wild Honey material), but Time to Get Alone, the major song recorded and later released is more of a big production and in some ways, Smile like?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:11:04 PM »

I highly doubt Brian was forced out crying by big bullies Mike and Al. The Wild Honey sessions were quite joyus.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:02 PM »

Al? He's less than 5-5, he's probably never bullied a person in his life lol Grin

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 10:32:19 PM »

Al? He's less than 5-5, he's probably never bullied a person in his life lol Grin
Maybe D. Marks  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »

I highly doubt Brian was forced out crying by big bullies Mike and Al. The Wild Honey sessions were quite joyus.
i thought i read where it was Mike and Carl...or maybe I'm confusing that with later (a lot later) years.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 03:05:12 PM »

I, for one, believe Brian was bullied and forced out crying.  Why would the member of 3 Dog Night make that story up?  He told it years after it happened, and he had no axe to grind, seeing as the group made it big on their own.  In fact, they probably had a much better career on their own than they would have had with Brian's help.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 03:28:33 PM »

I, for one, believe Brian was bullied and forced out crying.  Why would the member of 3 Dog Night make that story up?  He told it years after it happened, and he had no axe to grind, seeing as the group made it big on their own.  In fact, they probably had a much better career on their own than they would have had with Brian's help.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

The only source for this is is a recent autobiography (Wells or Negron, I forget which), and I find it odd that in the intervening 40-odd years, the usually loquacious Danny Hutton never said a single word about any such incident.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »

I don't think that's the kind of story that I would tell about my friend to reporters, though, so I can understand Danny not mentioning it.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 04:02:54 PM »

I, for one, believe Brian was bullied and forced out crying.  Why would the member of 3 Dog Night make that story up?  He told it years after it happened, and he had no axe to grind, seeing as the group made it big on their own.  In fact, they probably had a much better career on their own than they would have had with Brian's help.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

The only source for this is is a recent autobiography (Wells or Negron, I forget which), and I find it odd that in the intervening 40-odd years, the usually loquacious Danny Hutton never said a single word about any such incident.

It was Chuck Negron.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 04:19:24 PM »

It's bull.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »

Redwood wanted to record an album but Brian only signed them for singles.

Negron supposed knew what all was said while admitting he couldn't hear what was said.

Brian "borrowed" a BBs' track and let Redwood record vocals for it.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »

In the Brian Wilson: Songwriter DVD, Hutton says that Mike was pissed when he found out that Redwood were recording Darlin' (and that he understood him being upset).  Danny suggests that the lyrics were written for him, as he was always calling people "Darlin'."  But didn't Mike write the lyrics?
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »

I think Brian was attracted to Redwood because Lake Arrowhead is redwood country. Just guessin'.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 06:57:58 PM »

what if Brian had used Redwood to finish SMiLE

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 07:22:28 PM »

I think that Brian's envisioning of the album as a Beach Boys album from the start (one that would fool Mike & Murry & all else who thought along square lines) and his sticking to that perfect vision prevent such questions from even being considered.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx