gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:59:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Velvet Underground and its members  (Read 13846 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 26, 2005, 11:20:13 AM »

While in many ways, they sound like the opposite of the Beach Boys in every way (often raw, unpolished recordings; general emphasis on lyrics over melody or arrangements, NYC vs. LA, etc.), I gravitated toward VU at the same time I did the Beach Boys -- the mid-to-late '90s. And, amusingly enough, Thurston Moore says he also lumped them together (although a long time before I did).

I think Lou Reed is one of America's greatest rock/pop songwriters, and love not only almost all of VU's material, but several of his own albums over the years, such as Transformer, Berlin, New York and Ecstasy. (My favorite VU album, I admit while acknowledging the heresy, it probably Loaded, and specifically the Fully Loaded edition, which includes the Ride Into The Sun outtake from that era).

What does everyone else think?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 12:28:14 PM »

I agree with you on everything, especially on the fact that Sister Ray is their best song.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 12:34:16 PM »

I agree with you on everything, especially on the fact that Sister Ray is their best song.

OK, we're not having THAT discussion again.

The five songs that most blatantly stand out as far superior to Sister Ray:

Ride Into the Sun (outtake, mentioned above)
Sunday Morning (ah, the celeste...)
I'm Waiting For My Man (my favorite, a great, heavy rocking tune)
Candy Says
Pale Blue Eyes

and, just for good measure: Sweet Jane, Who Loves the Sun, WHite Light/White Heat and Beginning to See The Light. And the Ocean.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 12:35:37 PM »

HAHA!
You forgot Venus In Furs, I'll Be Your Mirror, Femme Fatale, All Tomorrow's Parties, Jesus and I Found A Reason.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 12:39:22 PM »

I do like the bulk of those far more than Sister Ray, now that you mention it.

Wink

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 12:39:40 PM »

And, by the way, apparently nobody else likes VU much...

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 01:05:48 PM »

That's just because we've had a few threads. They'll come, let's just keep this thread afloat.

Jason
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 01:06:08 PM »

The Velvets are absolutely essential listening. A cornerstone in the formation of punk, along with Suicide and the New York Dolls. The third album is the best by far. Sure, the first album had Brian Eno's classic comment attached to it, but it doesn't even come close to the third album.

Has anyone here heard the Squeeze album? I heard it the other day (the beauty of bit torrent) and boy did it suck. There should be no conjecture as to who the real genius was in the VU.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 01:08:57 PM »

I'm a first two VU albums person, as opposed to a last two.
I love the third, but it's too toned down in a reactionary way, and it inspired too many morons like REM.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 01:42:14 PM »

I love the third, but it's too toned down in a reactionary way, and it inspired too many morons like REM.

Cpt. Howdy, two big hits in one day. Very amusing.

Jason
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 01:43:23 PM »

The third album influenced the awesome, underrated Galaxie 500. That's proof enough for me that it's a great album.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2005, 03:23:51 PM »

Cpt. Howdy, two big hits in one day. Very amusing.

*blows*

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2005, 03:32:06 PM »

Grin

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2005, 03:43:42 PM »

My favorite VU album, I admit while acknowledging the heresy, it probably Loaded, and specifically the Fully Loaded edition

Yup, and yup. Me too. Screw "heresy," its their best album songwriting wise, no question. "Who Loves The Sun," "Sweet Jane," "Rock n' Roll," "Oh! Sweet Nothin,'" "New Age," "Hold Your Head Up High," "Train Round The Bend," the gorgeous gorgeous "I Found A Reason" -- hoo boy. That's a lineup. And yes, "Ride Into The Sun" is essential as well, a magnificent song that shoulda been on the LP.

My second favorite is probably the first album, but I really rate the "lost album" as well, and the third one, and hell, White Light!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2005, 03:45:07 PM »

All four original albums AND the "lost album" are essential, in my opinion. I can't imagine anyone considering him- or herself a well-educated pop fan without having at least absorbed them (if not liked) them.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2005, 03:46:35 PM »

Yep, Luther. Good on ya.
Loaded may be their best album songwriting-wise, but that's not necessarily what the VU were about. And any album without Maureen isn't really the VU, as Lou, Sterling and Doug have said.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2005, 03:53:55 PM »

While we ask, let's find out what Doug would say about any album without Cale!

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2005, 03:56:38 PM »

Cale was pretty essential as well, IMO.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2005, 03:58:49 PM »

The funny thing is, as much as I appreciate his musical abilities and lineage, I never really liked much of what Cale did on his own. Reed, on the other hand...

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2005, 04:00:34 PM »

The funny thing is, as much as I appreciate his musical abilities and lineage, I never really liked much of what Cale did on his own. Reed, on the other hand...

Same here, with the exceptions of Paris 1919 and Vintage Violence. Reed cleans him out though. Cale has nothing like Berlin or Magic And Loss in him.
What a great producer is Cale, though! Patti, Stooges, Modern Lovers etc.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2005, 04:12:17 PM »

Agreed to all...except Vintage Violence, which I put right near the rest of his solo stuff other than Paris 1919 (which I do like).

Jason
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2005, 04:12:57 PM »

Listen to the Brian Eno/Cale collaborations.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2005, 04:17:33 PM »

I have. Not a fan.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2005, 04:19:27 PM »

I have. Not a fan.

Me either, unfortunately. And I'm a big Eno guy. His stuff with Fripp and Byrne is far superior to my ears.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2005, 04:20:49 PM »

I'm not an Eno guy at all. If I were feeling more sarcastic at the time, my response would've been "two wrongs dont make a right." But I'd hate to have anyone talk about what I may or may not be b!owing...

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx