gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:47:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262383 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: April 08, 2021, 12:37:43 PM »

For some reason I seem to remember that we mentoned something of an A&E special and that I already had a lnk to it on the list, but it seems not to be there anymore (if it indeed was '92/'93). Anyway, here's the thing. Can anybody tell me the date and place of the show?

The Beach Boys - A&E Special 1993 (DJ L33 HD Stereo Remaster)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OUv8O_bSxA

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: May 02, 2021, 01:30:41 PM »

Added a link for the show on May 12th 1985 in San Diego.

EDIT:

Anyone know when this is from?

https://youtu.be/5HGhm9IjyZ0?t=255
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 10:11:41 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 03, 2021, 06:08:50 PM »

Brian Wilson
BB Kings Nov 2000

https://youtu.be/5Nh0OJQCyao
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #503 on: May 04, 2021, 02:48:41 AM »

Brian Wilson
BB Kings Nov 2000

https://youtu.be/5Nh0OJQCyao

Thanks, but this is not professional footage. Probably done by someone in the audience.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: May 05, 2021, 01:31:44 AM »

Here's a TV report about Dennis and Brian from '84:

Brian Wilson & Eugene Landy on an unknown TV show 1984. Please comment if you know the show's name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-IKBvJM1DM

The clips of Dennis and the live portions seem to come from the same show in '83. Anyone know the date? I guess Mike's outfit could be a hint at least I wouldn't know anything else to go by. But then I'm not familiar with the location(s).

EDIT:
Looking at the footage of Brian and Dennis (and the Surf Nazis?) walking along, it looks like this picture comes from the same event:

The picture is dated as being from May 1983 on this site:

https://orkinpod.wordpress.com/2013/03/27/the-beach-boys-the-war-on-drugs-and-the-heteroamerican-dream/

EDIT 2:

I just saw another picture of the same show (I guess) and it seems to be the one from May in San Diego. We already have a link to that one.

Also the whole show in Seattle from '75 was uploaded:

The Beach Boys - December 15th, 1975 Seattle Center Coliseum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBOPfHGPLjk

00:00 "sloop john b"
3:33 "do it again"
7:30 "help me rhonda"
12:08 "in my room"
15:46 "sail on sailor"
19:59 "california saga"
22:38 "take a load off your feet"
26:14 "wishing you were here" (a Chicago song)
31:16 dennis takes the mic!
32:15 "surfer girl"
35:00 "hereoes and villains" (loved this one)
40:45 "be true to your school" (no wheeen)
43:30 "catch a wave"
46:32 "i get around"
50:05 "california girls"
53:47 "wouldn't it be nice"
57:56 "surfin usa"

1:01:25 "good vibrations"
1:09:20 "you are so beautiful"
1:13:02 "little deuce coupe"
1:15:15 "barbara ann"
1:18:30 "fun fun fun" + "jumpin' jack flash"

"Basically we're one of the hornier groups in the world."

Does this give more ideas about the origins? Doesn't seem to be professional, but then it doesn't look amateurish either.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:47:13 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: May 10, 2021, 02:44:09 AM »

Added links for the shows on August 27th 1984 and July 4th 2001; the latter one being the complete show.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 02:48:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #506 on: May 12, 2021, 01:24:00 AM »

The whole show of May 6th 1998 was uploaded so I updated the link. This is a Mike, Bruce, David, Matt Jardine show.

EDIT: Also an entry and link was added for the show on Capitol's back lot in August of 1993.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 03:51:10 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: May 13, 2021, 02:57:07 AM »

Lately some complete shows were uploaded to youtube. So I could now add a link to the whole show of July 4th 1995.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: May 29, 2021, 03:57:58 AM »

At 6:13 mins. is a short clip of Brian performing "In my Room". Does anybody know where that comes from?

Brian Wilson on ABC's Good Morning America, July 3rd, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2IO5cL37Lk

And speaking of "In my Room", the "An american Band" doc has 70s footage of the Boys doing that song with Brian on bass. Where does that come from?

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 08, 2021, 05:41:41 PM »

The whole show of May 6th 1998 was uploaded so I updated the link. This is a Mike, Bruce, David, Matt Jardine show.

Interesting. I thought that it was said this concert took place on the 9th and that it was Al’s final show with the band? Does anyone have any more information? Thanks!!

EDIT: Apparently I can’t type or autocorrect insists that Muhammad Ali did a show with the band in 1998.  Grin. Edited to correct.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 11:00:27 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: June 09, 2021, 05:15:18 AM »

Interesting. I thought that it was said this concert took place on the 9th and that it was Ali’s final show with the band? Does anyone have any more information? Thanks!!

Al's last official Beach Boys show (until a guest spot in 2011) was reportedly a benefit for the American Cancer Society in Detroit on May 9th. I've seen different dates for this Kentucky Horse Park show, including May 6 and May 30.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 05:16:59 AM by c-man » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 09, 2021, 11:01:20 AM »

Interesting. I thought that it was said this concert took place on the 9th and that it was Ali’s final show with the band? Does anyone have any more information? Thanks!!

Al's last official Beach Boys show (until a guest spot in 2011) was reportedly a benefit for the American Cancer Society in Detroit on May 9th. I've seen different dates for this Kentucky Horse Park show, including May 6 and May 30.

Thanks c-man, I think I must have confused them when I saw that this was a private performance as well.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: June 09, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the confusion about the date. Eric has it as May 6th, AGD as May 30th. I'll make a note besides the entry. Maybe Ian can add more if he sees this.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: June 09, 2021, 11:37:47 AM »

While this if far from definitive, May 6th, 1998 fell on a Wednesday, while May 30, 1998 fell on a Saturday.

A corporate gig for employees would probably more likely happen on a weekend. Again, not definitive, but I'd lean towards the 30th.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 09, 2021, 03:10:16 PM »

As far as the date we have on bellagio. That comes from a member of the bands personal itinerary for the tour (which also includes the flight number and hotel they stayed at!) Eric is aware that his site had lots of date errors-which is only natural as his whole idea was to have fans contribute info about shows they saw and they were often hazy about the exact date.  It remains a really cool site but if you want correct dates I am not being egotistical when I say that our sessions and gigs info at bellagio is your go to
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: June 10, 2021, 12:52:48 AM »

As far as the date we have on bellagio. That comes from a member of the bands personal itinerary for the tour (which also includes the flight number and hotel they stayed at!) Eric is aware that his site had lots of date errors-which is only natural as his whole idea was to have fans contribute info about shows they saw and they were often hazy about the exact date.  It remains a really cool site but if you want correct dates I am not being egotistical when I say that our sessions and gigs info at bellagio is your go to

Thanks Ian! I'll change the date to May 30th

While this if far from definitive, May 6th, 1998 fell on a Wednesday, while May 30, 1998 fell on a Saturday.

A corporate gig for employees would probably more likely happen on a weekend. Again, not definitive, but I'd lean towards the 30th.

That certainly makes sense. Thanks for that information!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 12:54:08 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: July 05, 2021, 01:43:00 AM »

While looking for videos of this years 4th of July appearance by Mike & Bruce I came across this. Scroll down to see a video. Do you know from which performance this comes?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/reviews/john-stamos-performs-with-beach-boys-on-cnns-fourth-of-july-special/ar-AALM0ze

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 05, 2021, 05:00:53 PM »

You mean the fundraiser clip?

https://www.oc-breeze.com/2021/06/13/198729_beach-boys-touring-group-kicks-off-fundraiser-for-illumination-foundation/?amp=1
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: July 06, 2021, 03:27:35 AM »

Yes. Thank you! So June 4th it was and the show was "[v]iewable online" as the article states?

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: January 22, 2022, 08:32:30 AM »

Finally the performance on the Steve Allen Show from '64 is back online. See first site for a link

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: August 26, 2022, 10:48:04 AM »

Does anyone know the date for Brian's "That lucky old Sun" AOL Session?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BJOdhfbYfs

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: September 23, 2022, 01:50:22 PM »

Here's a clip from American Bandstand. Dick Clark is announcing that next on is "Happening" with the Beach Boys and Raiders live. Were they just to appear on the show or was that a whole show? Clark's announcement sounds like something more than just a TV appearance.

https://youtu.be/n42DNIdLHHc?t=1288

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: September 23, 2022, 02:07:02 PM »

Here's a clip from American Bandstand. Dick Clark is announcing that next on is "Happening" with the Beach Boys and Raiders live. Were they just to appear on the show or was that a whole show? Clark's announcement sounds like something more than just a TV appearance.

https://youtu.be/n42DNIdLHHc?t=1288

It was an entire episode dedicated to the Beach Boys, if you search my post history you'll find a previous discussion where I posted some tv listings from various papers about that series and episode.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: September 23, 2022, 02:14:25 PM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26557.msg649365.html#msg649365

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: September 24, 2022, 02:47:52 AM »

Ah thank you! I remember that thread. I'm just not very familiar with those american TV shows from the era so I get confused very easily.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx