gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:40:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262352 times)
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: July 14, 2019, 03:39:43 AM »

Interview and footage at the Starlite Festival in Marbella, Spain.
July 11, 2019

https://youtu.be/FIMDJwfCJ_Y

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: July 14, 2019, 07:57:56 AM »

Interview and footage at the Starlite Festival in Marbella, Spain.
July 11, 2019

https://youtu.be/FIMDJwfCJ_Y

Thank you! I'll add it in a minute.
Is it just me or do the vocals sound really that bad?  Shocked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 15, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »

Mike is 78. Bruce is 77. For their age, in my opinion, they sound remarkable. The band is instrumentally tight. Perhaps, the soundboard mix doesn't do the group justice, but it is refreshing to hear a sbd mix, over sh*tty youtube audience footage. Sure, Mike doesn't sound like he did in the 60's or 70's, but I'd consider myself blessed if I could sing that well at 78.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 15, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »

Thanks for the link, but that's not a pro-shot but amateur. Now, if anybody knows more about the A&E show posted above....

Don't pretend to be an authority, but Carl had started taking on a different (older) look by 1994. My best guess is this concert was in either 1992 or 1993.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: July 15, 2019, 01:11:39 PM »

Mike is 78. Bruce is 77. For their age, in my opinion, they sound remarkable. The band is instrumentally tight. Perhaps, the soundboard mix doesn't do the group justice, but it is refreshing to hear a sbd mix, over sh*tty youtube audience footage. Sure, Mike doesn't sound like he did in the 60's or 70's, but I'd consider myself blessed if I could sing that well at 78.

I wasn't really talking about Mike and Bruce specifically. It was the whole group in these video clips that was sounding unusually bad to my ears. I've heard them sound much better.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 16, 2019, 05:38:59 AM »

Mike’s group never seems to come across well with these live shot appearances or TV ones they have done like DC on the 4th recently . They have a thin sound that doesn’t translate well but in person in a smaller venue it sounds much better .
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 19, 2019, 10:31:48 PM »

That was very rough and top heavy indeed. Mike's leads were consistently sliding off center from the pitch too.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: August 30, 2019, 01:54:49 AM »

Looks like the Internet Wayback Machine has the two 1982 Candlestick clips archived. It took a bit of work to get to these direct links, but these should work:

https://web.archive.org//web/20160609154927im_/http://footage.framepool.com/mov/414-114-139.mp4

https://web.archive.org//web/20160519154256im_/http://footage.framepool.com/mov/368-508-390.mp4

Here's a new youtube upload of a Candlestick clip (3:16 mins).

The Beach Boys - Live at Candlestick Park, San Fransisco CA (1982-09-18, Brief Video Footage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru33A3b4gQU

Check out that user's channel.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:00:36 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: August 31, 2019, 08:06:13 AM »

Great to see this again (these or similar clips were posted on the 'tube a couple of years back). Despite his less-than-perfect condition, it's still a joy to see Dennis bashing the drums at this point. He didn't start to look REALLY bad until the following year.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 31, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »

It's always puzzled me that he looked fairly good up to a year before he died, and then seemingly took a very serious and rapid tailspin downhill.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: September 01, 2019, 09:00:02 AM »

Yes, I loved the clip of Carl on TJ Hooker.  Nobody hams it up like Shatner.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: September 01, 2019, 10:37:00 AM »

It doesn't count as a "concert", but I really hope somebody uploads the entire Merv Griffin appearance from 1982. There is a c!ip of it on YouTube, but there used to be a video of their entire portion of the episode on. The full thing included an interview, and even some brief words from Dennis, amazingly enough.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #437 on: September 01, 2019, 10:42:10 AM »

It doesn't count as a "concert", but I really hope somebody uploads the entire Merv Griffin appearance from 1982. There is a c!ip of it on YouTube, but there used to be a video of their entire portion of the episode on. The full thing included an interview, and even some brief words from Dennis, amazingly enough.

Which one is that? I don't remember.
And if it is like the '80 Mike Douglas Show appearance I would count it as a concert for this list.

BTW I really should try to write down what kind of footage I think should go on the list because right now I include TV footage, which probably would be called semi-pro.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 01, 2019, 10:54:12 AM »

The thing about the Merv Griffin is that while they did "perform" , it was mined to the album cuts. So I personally wouldn't include it. I wish I could remember which songs were done! The one clip that is still on YouTube has Brian lip syncing to Good Vibrations, if I remember correctly. I remember that Al "played" an acoustic guitar to one of the songs. I think it was Lady Lynda.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: September 01, 2019, 02:34:45 PM »

The thing about the Merv Griffin is that while they did "perform" , it was mined to the album cuts. So I personally wouldn't include it. I wish I could remember which songs were done! The one clip that is still on YouTube has Brian lip syncing to Good Vibrations, if I remember correctly. I remember that Al "played" an acoustic guitar to one of the songs. I think it was Lady Lynda.

They mimed to their then-current hit "Come Go With Me", along with "Lady Lynda" and apparently the recent hit "Beach Boys Medley" (I don't recall that part, but if Brian is seen lipping to "GV" from that show, then obviously so). When discussing the success of "Come Go With Me", Dennis humorously chastised a music-industry insider guest (I wanna say it was Kal Rudman, but am not certain) for previously saying the Beach Boys would never have another hit. The show was taped in December '81, prior to their departure for South Africa (their upcoming trip to which is mentioned in the course of the interview, but not much is said about it).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: September 02, 2019, 01:49:41 AM »

They mimed to their then-current hit "Come Go With Me", along with "Lady Lynda" and apparently the recent hit "Beach Boys Medley" (I don't recall that part, but if Brian is seen lipping to "GV" from that show, then obviously so). When discussing the success of "Come Go With Me", Dennis humorously chastised a music-industry insider guest (I wanna say it was Kal Rudman, but am not certain) for previously saying the Beach Boys would never have another hit. The show was taped in December '81, prior to their departure for South Africa (their upcoming trip to which is mentioned in the course of the interview, but not much is said about it).

Ah, ok. Yeah, lip-synchs don't get on the list. But I don't think I've seen that footage of "Lady Lynda" and "Come go with me".

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 02, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »

I just looked it up on youtube, and they lipsynced to the medley. The interesting thing(to me, at least) is that Dennis seems fully engaged and actually seems to be trying to follow along to the beat. Given his feelings for stuff like this, I'm surprised he showed up.

BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 04, 2019, 05:29:30 PM »

The footage of Come go with me and Lady Lynda is in my collection.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: September 11, 2019, 11:22:59 AM »

I updated a couple of links that were not working anymore - there certainly are still some bad ones, because I didn't go through all of the list. Also I added a new description of what the list is supposed to feature. Nothing fancy but I guess it's enough.

- Jack Rieley
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 12, 2019, 12:15:14 AM »

The sad thing about YouTube these days is that if you see something interesting, save/download it as things do not hang around. Copyright strikes and so on.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: September 15, 2019, 05:05:21 AM »

Came across this clip that I had totally forgotten about. I guess 1981, Dennis looks pretty good and heathy. Does anyone have more information where it comes from and if there were more songs played by the band? It looks similar to the setup for the 1980 Mike Douglas appearance.

Beach Boys Be True To Your School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJNlB47QQyg

EDIT:

I also added the August 29th 1964 show including a youtube link. Although it fits the semi-pro category, this is something like an exception, as we don't know if any complete songs were filmed. According to Ian's website there were a couple of shows and two of them were broadcast on radio (I wished we'd have those recordings).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 06:03:07 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 15, 2019, 11:41:15 AM »

Came across this clip that I had totally forgotten about. I guess 1981, Dennis looks pretty good and heathy. Does anyone have more information where it comes from and if there were more songs played by the band? It looks similar to the setup for the 1980 Mike Douglas appearance.

EDIT:

I also added the August 29th 1964 show including a youtube link. Although it fits the semi-pro category, this is something like an exception, as we don't know if any complete songs were filmed. According to Ian's website there were a couple of shows and two of them were broadcast on radio (I wished we'd have those recordings).

One of the comments on that video claims it was the 4th Annual National Cheerleading Competition in Miami, FL, May 26, 1981. Considering the theme, I would bet BTTYS was the only song performed.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #447 on: September 15, 2019, 12:36:30 PM »

EDIT:

One of the comments on that video claims it was the 4th Annual National Cheerleading Competition in Miami, FL, May 26, 1981. Considering the theme, I would bet BTTYS was the only song performed.

Thanks for pointing that date out! I looked at AGD's Shows & Sessions section, that Ian also added to, and it says for May 26th: 26 - People Are Talking with Maury Povich TV show So it is possible that they played more songs. Maybe Ian will chime in.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 15, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »

Maury povitch aired that day but was probably taped earlier. I think they played more songs
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: September 15, 2019, 04:34:59 PM »

That performance of "BTTYS" is definitely from the National Cheerleading Competition show - I saw the original broadcast and remember it well. The hosts were (then couple) Victoria Principal and Andy Gibb. The Boys also performed "Surfin' U.S.A." during the closing credits roll.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx