gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262365 times)
KDS
« Reply #275 on: March 01, 2016, 08:40:45 AM »

Digging the Getty Images pics of the event. Brian was trying out an alternate "look" apparently.  3D

Gotham City PD Detective Harvey Bullock is on the case. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: March 01, 2016, 12:01:35 PM »

The band did a live set on the Easter Seals Telethon in 1979. According to Getty Images pictures of the event, it took place in Los Angeles. Getty Images dates the pics to March 25, while AGD's Bellagio site shows May 25 as the date.  There's only apparently a very short clip on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob7ILaSvW4w

But I have the entire show buried away on VHS somewhere. This is the show where *Mike* sang the lead vocal on "Good Timin' for some inexplicable reason. I think they did at least three songs. "Good Timin'", "Surfin' USA", and I believe "Good Vibrations."

Thank you! Totally forgot about that show!
I also remember a picture of this event with Carl and Joe Esposito (of Presley's Memphis Mafia) chatting backstage.
Have added it now!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: March 01, 2016, 01:59:28 PM »

I think the Esposito photo is on Getty Images as well.

I'm still wondering if there was a particular reason why they had Mike sing "Good Timin" even though Carl was standing there right next to him.

All of the obvious possibilities don't seem likely. Was Carl's voice in bad shape that day? I don't think so; he sings "Good Vibrations" just fine. Were they trying to divvy out equal lead vocals? Doesn't make sense; Mike sang "Surfin' USA" and part of "Good Vibrations."

Perhaps it's a simple as "trying something different", but having Mike do a pretty weak job on their new single on a TV appearance doesn't seem like the best scenario to try something weird out.

Did Carl just arbitrarily refuse to sing it or something? If so, why not have Bruce or Brian or Al sing it?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 21, 2016, 07:12:15 AM »

Mike and Bruce at the TV Land Awards

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/videos/1018927608186080/?fref=nf
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: April 21, 2016, 07:35:35 AM »

Thank you! Did they play more songs than this one?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: April 21, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »

They played a hits medley too, but I think it has not surfaced yet.

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 21, 2016, 06:55:19 PM »

ah! good ol' Barbara ann.  If this song were a cow, I would hate to be its udder and teats.
I'd be feelin pretty sore by now  Cry
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2016, 09:21:10 AM »

They played a hits medley too, but I think it has not surfaced yet.

Ok, thanks. Then I'll add it to the list

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »

One more for the list at the end of the month.

http://pagesix.com/2016/04/28/beach-boys-to-headline-memorial-day-concert-in-dc/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »

Cool, thank you! I just added it  Smiley

- Jack Rieley
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 29, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »

ah! good ol' Barbara ann.  If this song were a cow, I would hate to be its udder and teats.
I'd be feelin pretty sore by now  Cry

That is one of the best and most hilarious analogies I have ever heard!  LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: May 22, 2016, 02:26:21 PM »

I just found a video on youtube with some footage from Nov. 28th 2015. Hadn't seen that before. The link also features an interview with Mike and Bruce, so check it out

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 22, 2016, 03:25:53 PM »

I just found a video on youtube with some footage from Nov. 28th 2015. Hadn't seen that before. The link also features an interview with Mike and Bruce, so check it out

We'll find it ourselves shall we?  LOL
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »

We'll find it ourselves shall we?  LOL

Oh you mean the link?  Cheesy
It's linked to in the list on page 1

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 23, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »

Sorry Rocker. I forgot you started and manage this thread. My misinterpretation.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 23, 2016, 05:03:57 PM »

On the  subject of pro shots, did we ever figure out where that 1982(?) footage is from?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 23, 2016, 05:14:11 PM »

How about this. A picture from the concert in question.

https://sfgiantsphotos.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/beachboys_tif.jpg

The scoreboard behind has the Padres vs the Giants.

The Padres schedule for 1982.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teamstats/schedule.php?y=1982&t=SDN

Game 149. At SF Sept 18

I think thats a home run! LOL
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:33:45 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 23, 2016, 05:40:11 PM »

Yep at Candlestick Park.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: May 24, 2016, 10:54:07 AM »

Cool, I have removed the remark. Thanks for clearing it up!

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 24, 2016, 01:29:31 PM »

Does this count?
Lip synced medley but live acappella Barbara Ann
German TV "Die Goldene Kamera - ZDF HD", 06th February 2016

https://youtu.be/f2uckN9U6Vo

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 25, 2016, 05:32:28 AM »

It occurs to me that if you are using TV concerts before a live studio audience that you are missing the two Ed Sullivan appearances and the concert done in Amsterdam for Twien on December 14 1968. Clips of this show in American band documentary don't show the audience but you can see the whole show on YouTube and there was a audience
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: May 25, 2016, 11:41:15 AM »

It occurs to me that if you are using TV concerts before a live studio audience that you are missing the two Ed Sullivan appearances

I was thinking about the first one. But the tracks weren't performed in a row, were they? And the stage set-up kinda makes it lose that "concert"-feel.

and the concert done in Amsterdam for Twien on December 14 1968. Clips of this show in American band documentary don't show the audience but you can see the whole show on YouTube and there was a audience

Do you have a link to that? I only remember the lip-synced footage but maybe that was overdubbed for the movie.

Does this count?
Lip synced medley but live acappella Barbara Ann
German TV "Die Goldene Kamera - ZDF HD", 06th February 2016

https://youtu.be/f2uckN9U6Vo

Thank you! But if it's lip synced then not. And only one song doesn't count.
Don't you hate german television? This is stuff that we actually pay for. Makes you throw up... (I'm not talking about Mike&Bruce in particular but about these kind of shows).

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: May 29, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »

Just found a link to this show that wasn't on the list either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iukjCxiiFw

It features Blondie as well
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 02:12:06 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 04, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »

Do these count?
Recent M&B clips recorded directly from the stage (GoPro, likely).  Exact date unknown.

Catch A Wave: https://youtu.be/m6zpnf0WfAE
You Still Believe In Me:  https://youtu.be/dPRQ_7-HC30

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: July 04, 2016, 01:27:43 PM »

Do these count?
Recent M&B clips recorded directly from the stage (GoPro, likely).  Exact date unknown.

Catch A Wave: https://youtu.be/m6zpnf0WfAE
You Still Believe In Me:  https://youtu.be/dPRQ_7-HC30

Nice!
Looks kinda fitting, doesn't it?
What is GoPro?

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx