gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:58:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262364 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »

In case you didn't know, i compiled almost all the concerts/sessions info for agd's site and i am responsible for that info. It comes from a hit parader article and was confirmed by an article in a  contemporary yonkers newspaper

Yes, I thought that you probably had input with that but wasn't sure and hoped that you would reply to my posting. Guess it was obvious enough  Cheesy
I wondered though if a TV station was named (ARD, ZDF?) or something else that would give a hint where one could ask. At that time german TV had only two or three stations I believe and maybe there's still something in the vaults. On the other hand, maybe it was not for a TV station but for another project.

metal flake paint just gave me some infos regarding the '77 Central Park show. At least snippets for six different songs were filmed by different TV stations. Not sure about whole songs but I guess it is possible.

If there really were only 2 or 3 stations at the time ( and those still exist) it would seem a fairly easy task to find whether they have anything

Well, it depends on if they were shooting for a TV station or something different. A "camera crew" doesn't have to work for a TV station. But since german TV had some interesting programs for music in the 60s (Beat Club for example) I'd hope for something that maybe might get found.

You're probably just the one to find it!  You're in the right location, are you not?  That's a big step. Just talk your way into all the vaults/ find the folks that were in charge at the time....

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2013, 11:32:43 AM »

You're in the right location, are you not?  

Well, I'm in Germany but that's all  Cheesy
First we have to know who filmed it and get some more infos. In case one of the TV stations was responsible for it I wouldn't really know what to do but I could try.

EDIT:

But first, could you give me more infos for these two performances? I believe the first one is from "Fridays" and they alyo palyed a medley of GV and "Gon' on". Did they do any more songs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS22jq-GDDk

And what about that concert of which you can see parts in the "Goin' Platinum"-special? Obviously during "School days" the studio version was played. But did they also play live and what?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLqvRpN_bSE
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 11:43:46 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2013, 01:27:40 PM »

First we have to know who filmed it and get some more infos. In case one of the TV stations was responsible for it I wouldn't really know what to do but I could try.

I don't think knowing who filmed it is part and parcel; what we( you) need to know is what stations were around then, and if they're still around. Then, if they're close enough to you, you just go and find who to talk to/ who handles their archives and see if  they have anything. maybe you'll find they have something else you'd like. or nothing at all....

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »

EDIT:

But first, could you give me more infos for these two performances? I believe the first one is from "Fridays" and they alyo palyed a medley of GV and "Gon' on". Did they do any more songs?

AFAIK, only those three songs.

And what about that concert of which you can see parts in the "Goin' Platinum"-special? Obviously during "School days" the studio version was played. But did they also play live and what?

Apparently they did play the six songs live but for whatever reason decided not to use those performances.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2013, 03:56:11 PM »

EDIT:

AFAIK, only those three songs.

Apparently they did play the six songs live but for whatever reason decided not to use those performances.

I'd forgotten how great Carl's vocals were on Oh Darlin!   
But who knew Mike and Al wore the same size clothes?

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 31, 2013, 06:25:21 AM »

Ok-so I looked in my archives:  The German film crew is not named specifically-but the article in the Yonkers paper from February 1965 explains that members of the Yonkers Rock and Roll Auto Club were contacted by a German film crew who said they were making a movie and wanted to film them (Having heard about them from someone).  Members of the club went to see the BBs perform in NY and the film crew got footage of the boys meeting the BBs.  The Hit Parader article-confirms that backstage scenes were filmed-and indeed in one photo you can see Brian looking at the Surfer Girl album-with what may be a camera filming him.  But that's it-obviously American media had little interest in the specifics.  Looks like it may have been for a documentary film rather (perhaps on American youth culture?) though perhaps for TV.
By the way-the BBs filmed a TV app for the "German Second Program" network while in Munich on Nov 13 1964-according to Billboard.  I have always wondered if that footage survives..They probably played "When I Grow Up" and "Dance, Dance, Dance" but you never know.  They taped a show in Italy two days earlier for RAI TV-and they played "The Lonely Sea" of all tunes!! The reason-it was a hit record there.  Would be interesting to see these-but I never was able to get an answer about this. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: May 31, 2013, 10:37:19 AM »

Thanks Ian! Great info!

Ok-so I looked in my archives:  The German film crew is not named specifically-but the article in the Yonkers paper from February 1965 explains that members of the Yonkers Rock and Roll Auto Club were contacted by a German film crew who said they were making a movie and wanted to film them (Having heard about them from someone).  Members of the club went to see the BBs perform in NY and the film crew got footage of the boys meeting the BBs.  The Hit Parader article-confirms that backstage scenes were filmed-and indeed in one photo you can see Brian looking at the Surfer Girl album-with what may be a camera filming him.

But we're still talking about concerts that were filmed, aren't we? Not only backstage stuff, etc?

By the way-the BBs filmed a TV app for the "German Second Program" network while in Munich on Nov 13 1964-according to Billboard.  I have always wondered if that footage survives..They probably played "When I Grow Up" and "Dance, Dance, Dance" but you never know.

Now, that sounds like it could be done (if it still exists). I might try to contact the ZDF and ask about their archives and if there's a listing.
Thanks bgas for the tip!

Thank you! Do we have a date for that show?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 31, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »

It would be very interesting if somebody could be able to get some info on the Seattle 1980 pro shot film that's listed on a tape trading website. My gut instinct is that it's mislabled, but it could be worth the effort.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 01, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »

It would be very interesting if somebody could be able to get some info on the Seattle 1980 pro shot film that's listed on a tape trading website. My gut instinct is that it's mislabled, but it could be worth the effort.

Almost certainly May 1983, not 1980.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 01, 2013, 10:35:03 AM »

If your talking about the video of them-in which they all come out in cars and take the stage with a clean-shaven (extremely bloated) Dennis and a relatively trim, bearded Brian (who does a dual lead on Runaway with Al and dances awkwardly) than that is May 1983.  I believe a very brief clip is in Endless Harmony (Carl introducing "My brother Dennis Wilson"-who waves shirtless.  Also has Mike doing "Imagine" as a tribute to Lennon.  There is, however, footage from Seattle 1977 that appeared in the unreleased Our Team film. I assume that the show was filmed and it is possible a complete 77 concert is in the Brother vaults.
Nicko1234
« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »

This show from 1983 is now on Youtube in its entirety I believe.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2013, 10:52:31 AM »

This show from 1983 is now on Youtube in its entirety I believe.
Yap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5uA58mO6t0
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »

Noticed that on your list-the 1966 London show without sound should say  Nov 14 not Nov 16. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

Noticed that on your list-the 1966 London show without sound should say  Nov 14 not Nov 16.  

It does now  Smiley

The Seattle '83 show is on the list and features even a link to the whole show.
So, do you say the 1980 date for another filmed Seattle show is probably wrong? As mentioned before, I got it from a "trading site" and therefor it's very possible someone didn't know the right date. But if you say the '77 Seattle show was filmed (or in parts) I'd just change the date on the list

BTW I wrote to the ZDF and asked if there are chances of such Beach Boys material from '64 may be in their archives. Will let you know what their answer will be.

EDIT:
Oh and Ian, metal flake point gave me a date he has for the Goin' Platinum show but he also wasn't sure about it. Do you know when and where the live performances were recorded?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 01:43:44 PM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2013, 04:09:12 PM »

Also on april 19 1980 abc tv filmed a show at university of north Carolina at chapel hill for the 20/20 show
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2013, 05:04:12 AM »

Cool. I added it. Also changed the Seattle date to '77.

There are still some dates open at the moment that I hope you (or whoever) can answer if you got the time.

- what about the show for the Goin' Platinum special? Is the date on AGD's and Ian's list for the broadcast of the recording?
- Brian's show at Capitol in May 2008 (on which day)?
- and this Beachago stuff that was just re-uploaded: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy7UZ5nYdmU
It must be from between June 24th and 28th 1975 because the reporter mentiones the Capitol Center

Hope I didn't overlook anything.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:20:48 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2013, 01:57:27 PM »

Just curious, I only know of the christchurch and Melbourne shows being filmed in 1978. Are you certain those other australian shows were filmed?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2013, 09:30:39 AM »

Just curious, I only know of the christchurch and Melbourne shows being filmed in 1978. Are you certain those other australian shows were filmed?

No. I can't remember but I think it was listed somewhere. I will change that.
I'm very thankful for your corrections. I like the idea of that list and want it to be as accurate as possible. That way I can contribute something worthwhile to the board. So if you got more corrections, etc. just keep them comig.

BTW I got an answer from the ZDF. They said that they'd need more information like a show title for example (regarding the dec. '64 appearance).

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2013, 08:26:06 AM »

Since you list TV appearances before live audiences-I think you have to add The Steve Allen Show-taped in San Diego, CA on March 12, 1964 before a live audience (a portion was used in Endless Harmony-but the full show survives). They played "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Surfin' USA."
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »

In regards to your earlier questions.  I have a Goin Platinum DVD that has that date on it-so that just means the special was completed by that date-don't know when every segment of it was taped.  As far as the 75 footage-it comes from those gigs but can't be more precise. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2013, 08:34:30 AM »

One more thing-BBs played before a live audience at the Rockin' New Years Eve TV Special with Chicago.  It was taped Nov 26 1974 at MGM Studios in LA.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »

Since you list TV appearances before live audiences-I think you have to add The Steve Allen Show-taped in San Diego, CA on March 12, 1964 before a live audience (a portion was used in Endless Harmony-but the full show survives). They played "Fun, Fun, Fun" and "Surfin' USA."

Oh yeah, I believe Fun Fun Fun from that show is on youtube; it was at least at some point. I think this show could be added but not the Ed Sullivan shows. There's something different about those although they also play in front of an audience on Sullivan. I don't know how to explain that. Maybe it's because there's not a real stage in the way of Ready, Steady, Go or because you can't see the audience IDK. I guess at one point or another I'll have to change the specifications of the list...

One more thing-BBs played before a live audience at the Rockin' New Years Eve TV Special with Chicago.  It was taped Nov 26 1974 at MGM Studios in LA.

Totally forgot about that!

- Jack Rieley
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

I wish the Beach Boys would do more archival DVD releases like The Who and the Stones have been doing a lot in recent years.  A lot of clips that were in Endless Harmony and American Band that I would want to see in their entirety (and in the quality they appeared in those respective films).  I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2013, 01:48:55 PM »

I wish the Beach Boys would do more archival DVD releases like The Who and the Stones have been doing a lot in recent years.  A lot of clips that were in Endless Harmony and American Band that I would want to see in their entirety (and in the quality they appeared in those respective films).  I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Absolutely! Would love a DVD of their TV appearances.

I don't know if this video about the Beach Boys' memorabilia was posted before but I hadn't senn it. There's a small snippet of them doing Cal. Girls in the early 90s I guess. Does anyone have more info?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nXlSZCHDnB4#t=116s

- Jack Rieley
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2013, 04:09:55 AM »

If that's Stanley T. playing guitar behind Mike, this show can be roughly narrowed down to sometime between August 1990 and May 1991.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 22 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx