gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pro Shot Beach Boys Concerts  (Read 262423 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: September 27, 2022, 07:44:47 AM »

Saw some "new" semi-pro footage allegedly from August 1977 although I'm not sure about that date, plus an interview with Mike.

Vintage KSDK: Beach Boys play the Mississippi River Festival in Edwardsville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqioxsZwcBc
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 07:48:52 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: September 27, 2022, 08:59:05 AM »

Saw some "new" semi-pro footage allegedly from August 1977 although I'm not sure about that date, plus an interview with Mike.

Vintage KSDK: Beach Boys play the Mississippi River Festival in Edwardsville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqioxsZwcBc

They did play the festival on that date, 8/21/77, but it does appear to be wrong.

Bruce is there, so definitely not 1977. Looks like Meros is on keyboards which would put it at 1979, and Bobby Figueroa is on drums. Looking at other times they played that festival, it looks like they played on 8/19/79, and that would have been during the time Dennis was out. So I'm guessing they looked up dates for BB shows at this festival, and grabbed the 8/21/77 date instead of the 8/19/79 date.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: October 10, 2022, 02:00:43 PM »

So, does anyone know the date for the 2004 Vocal Group Hall of Fame induction concert? Al appeared for two song with the Lettermen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvd2SpX8ZVI

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: October 10, 2022, 04:13:44 PM »

How about actually a year later on July 7, 2005, according to this article from the Suburban News North newspaper in Mahwah, New Jersey? I found no relevant results for 2004 or other years on Newspapers.com. Go to the second column, second paragraph to see the sole reference to Jardine [the publication date and newspaper are identified on the far right]. 5th Dimension alum Florence LaRue, who welcomes Jardine to the stage, and the Lettermen had shows the day before @ the VGHF. Maybe they stayed in town for another day? Lettermen co-founder Tony Butala put together the VGHF so makes sense that they would be there for all three days of the ceremony.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 04:17:11 PM by jeremylr » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 14, 2022, 03:42:27 PM »

The Mississippi River Festival footage is from the August 7 1980 appearance. Bruce Johnston was not touring with the BB in 1977.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 14, 2022, 03:45:04 PM »

I suppose it could also be the 1979 appearance-I will check my files for a photo
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 14, 2022, 03:59:52 PM »

Noticed the post on the previous page asking where the footage of Brian singing In My Room in 1970s seen in American Band comes from. I wrote an article in ESQ years ago where I noted that the footage of Brian singing in my room and Dennis singing you are so beautiful in the film come from the April 14 1978 show at the Summit in Houston. It was one of the early venues to have a Jumbotron screen and the video comes from that feed.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 14, 2022, 04:04:23 PM »

By the way the footage of the January 1977 Maryland show with Brian also was from a Jumbotron feed
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: October 15, 2022, 02:00:46 AM »

How about actually a year later on July 7, 2005, according to this article from the Suburban News North newspaper in Mahwah, New Jersey? I found no relevant results for 2004 or other years on Newspapers.com. Go to the second column, second paragraph to see the sole reference to Jardine [the publication date and newspaper are identified on the far right]. 5th Dimension alum Florence LaRue, who welcomes Jardine to the stage, and the Lettermen had shows the day before @ the VGHF. Maybe they stayed in town for another day? Lettermen co-founder Tony Butala put together the VGHF so makes sense that they would be there for all three days of the ceremony.

That looks right. Thank you! I didn't think this through. Of course the show for the class of '04 would be held in '05 and not during '04.

Noticed the post on the previous page asking where the footage of Brian singing In My Room in 1970s seen in American Band comes from. I wrote an article in ESQ years ago where I noted that the footage of Brian singing in my room and Dennis singing you are so beautiful in the film come from the April 14 1978 show at the Summit in Houston. It was one of the early venues to have a Jumbotron screen and the video comes from that feed.

By the way the footage of the January 1977 Maryland show with Brian also was from a Jumbotron feed

I'm not familiar with this technique. So the Jumbotron feed was saved/archived, hence the clips we have? This certainly doesn't look like someone from the audience filmed the display. IIRC "Endless Harmony" showed a short clip from the other show in Maryland and it looked fantastic. Are these things in the Beach Boys' vault?

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 15, 2022, 09:04:13 AM »

Right-the venue filmed the concert and broadcast that to the audience in the venue-for the people with less of a good view -standard today but a new development in 1977-78. Apparently they often are not preserved (possibly by the artist’s request) but those videos were saved.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 15, 2022, 09:05:43 AM »

Others are similar-like May 1983 Seattle show, etc
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: October 29, 2022, 08:39:18 AM »

This comes from the 2011 Reagan celebration. You may remember that this was the first time in years that Al joined Mike & Bruce (which added to a great performance - see link on the list) and could be seen as the start of the reunion. This clip features Mike paying tribute to Ronald Reagan and a rendition of "Happy birthday".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n5n7-OqUno

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: December 28, 2022, 12:03:42 PM »

There's a new entry (with link to video) for Dec. 27th 1976. It features Brian in his "bathrobe" outfit as seen in the 15 Big Ones/Love You twofer booklet a.o. and an interview with Dennis.

The Beach Boys in San Diego 1976

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNtfgQ3xLjU

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx