gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:06:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: C.W. Trbute concert at Roxy: any reviews/comments/feedback/anecdotes?  (Read 5142 times)
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:41:25 AM »

Wasn't able to make it to the show . Sounded like a great lineup/cause/event. Any reports we unfortunate
non-attendees could vicariously delight in? 3D

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:39:25 AM »

I just got back.  It was an incredible night...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »

Well worth the price paid!  A concert I will never forget.  I'll post more details soon, if no one beats me to it!  I drove over 400 miles yesterday and got 4 hours of sleep before spending the day at work stumbling around in a daze!  Cheesy  But it was well worth the ticket price and a day of stumbling around!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 05:57:42 PM »

It was great, three founding Beach Boys onstage at the finale (along with everyone else). Adam Marsland and the Chaos Band rocked the house with a great Carl and Dennis set. More later, after I get back home (still in CA) ....

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:21:46 PM »

They should film these CWF tribute concerts and then sell the DVDs for $50. Everyone would buy one.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 11:50:17 PM »

I just finished posting an extensive blog -- with pictures -- about the show at my myspace page (www.myspace.com/adammarsland).

It's from my perspective, so I probably missed a lot from the audience's point of view.

A great night that I'm honored to have been a part of.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »

They should film these CWF tribute concerts and then sell the DVDs for $50. Everyone would buy one.

seconded. surely this gig would be the closest anyone is going to get to an early 70s-style beach boys concert in 2008?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 01:12:01 AM »

I just finished posting an extensive blog -- with pictures -- about the show at my myspace page (www.myspace.com/adammarsland).

It's from my perspective, so I probably missed a lot from the audience's point of view.

A great night that I'm honored to have been a part of.

Great review, Adam, thanks! I wish I could've experienced this tribute concert from up close (now what about a CW-tribute in Europe in 2009?!), but your review made it possible to at least get a good idea of what a great happening it was. I hope to be able to see a show of yours in the future.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 05:24:26 PM »

Adam, thanks for relaying your thoughts and feelings on a memorable event. It succeeded in making me feel like I was there! And thanks for all of your contributions in honoring and paying tribute to the great Carl Wilson.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »

Excellent review, thanks for posting it!  I really enjoyed reading it.  Sounds like it was a fantastic experience.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 06:51:42 PM »

A great night it would seem. The last few years the golf scramble seems to have been the main event with the CWF so three cheers to have the music back.

Thanks for the hard work.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 04:59:47 PM »

Photos from the concert are now up on the CWF's MySpace site at http://www.myspace.com/carlwilsonfoundation. There will also be a photo essay up on the main CWF site in the next few weeks.

variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 07:44:37 PM »

Photos from the concert are now up on the CWF's MySpace site at http://www.myspace.com/carlwilsonfoundation. There will also be a photo essay up on the main CWF site in the next few weeks.

This one really blew my mind: http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=224013343&albumID=961431&imageID=13875942

that coupled with listening to the Hang on to your Ego sessions where Brian can be heard having this conversation with someone: "i'm cutting here this sunday in this very room.. a song i wrote today. its called god only knows"  "what?"    "god only knows what i'd be without you."  "that's good!"
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 02:54:23 AM »

Evie Sands just alerted me that there's audience video (looks like from a cell phone) of a lot of the CWF event just posted on youtube.  Al's set is up, as is Carnie's and Wendy's, and one each from the Honeys, Brian and our band.  I just checked a couple out...sound quality is not bad.

Glad somebody got a record of this gig!
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 08:57:13 PM »

Can't find the CW Tribute clips on Youtube.  Can someone please post links to them in the BB YouTube thread perhaps?
Lady
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »

Here are the C.W. Tribute clips on You Tube:  (They can also be found by searching "carl wilson foundation" on You Tube.)  Hope this helps:

Carnie & Wendy Wilson - “Good Timin’”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVhx9I-eKxU

Carnie & Wendy Wilson - “Full Sail”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zWiHYiqV5I

Adam Marsland's Chaos Band – “Keepin’ the Summer Alive”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeoE4HbELfU

Brian Wilson – “Midnight’s Another Day”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EP9nEesFbU

Alan Jardine – “Honkin’ Down the Highway/Drivin’ - Medley”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-woezuGpLk

The Honeys – “I Can Hear Music”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEwFw_7pBjE

Alan Jardine – “A Postcard from California”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swG5OdaUVmk
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 11:59:24 PM »

Wow, thanks to youtube user "friendly76", whoever that fine person may be!  Wink
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:00:23 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 07:38:59 PM »

Am I the only person who gets a slightly cruel chuckle out of the fact that none of Carl's songs from his solo albums were played? It's like "We love you Carl....but not that much".  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 08:20:55 PM »

Am I the only person who gets a slightly cruel chuckle out of the fact that none of Carl's songs from his solo albums were played? It's like "We love you Carl....but not that much".  Grin

I think "Heaven" is a really good love song, the only one of Carl's solo tracks that I really like, but maybe no one wanted to do it because it might have been seen as a downer.  It's romantic, but it's taken on associations with Carl's death because of the title.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 08:23:04 PM »

Carl's recording of "Heaven" was played at the concert, as the soundtrack to Billy's slideshow of Carl pix.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »

Part of that was our fault.  We were asked if we'd be into doing it, and we worked it up partially, and basically said to Billy, "we can do a mediocre version of 'Heaven' or a really good version of something else."  So you can blame it on us...I'm sure they would have loved to have had it played.
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 05:51:15 AM »

I really don't think it had anything to do with not liking Carl's songs...just the opposite, actually. Singing lead on a Carl Wilson song is not an easy thing to do - especially in a room full of 300 of his closest friends, family and fans!  Billy asked David to do Long Promised Road and like Adam, he didn't want to do a song like that and not give it proper justice.  Instead, he opted to do Summertime Blues, which they sang together on the Beach Boys first LP.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »

Great pictures from the show! Wonderful to see the Honeys back and singing. Marylin looks terrific.
Which, by the way, I was wondering, did Brian and Marilyn meet up again at the show? That would've been interesting...

Wow, wish I was there. The picture of Jeff with the 'God Only Knows' sheet music notes blew my mind.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx