gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:26:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postcard From California  (Read 39894 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2008, 01:24:33 AM »

There's no holdup on Al's part. He wants the album out. The trouble is is that he's going for a major label release and the labels (what are those again???) that are showing the most interest want it for a Spring 2009 release -- nothing sooner. He wants it to have distribution above an "indie" only release. Trust me, he's more frustrated about the situation than anyone on the board.

Howie, don't know if you have inside-information (being close to the source, but is there a reason an "indie"-release is out of the question? What are the selling-expectations for a (major) label release? Is it a guarantee for better sales than on an indie-release? And do the labels that are interested in a Spring-release fall under that category "major"? Just curious ...

Frustrating as it is, if Spring 2009 is a realistic date, I guess I can wait ...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2008, 02:16:23 AM »

I can wait too, but an indie label would be more sensible - although there are clearly assholes out there who aren't interested in any kind of release...
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »

First, Al has to consider the album finished before it gets released. We're assuming it's finished, but maybe it's not yet.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »

I've interviewed many alternative and punk rock bands through the years, several of those bands were on major labels, had been on major labels or had rejected offers by major labels. And it seemed that almost all of them agreed that, unless you sell hundreds of thousands of copies of an album, you're much better off on an indie label than a major label. Cause if you're not Beyonce, Mariah Carey or Kanye West or someone like that, they will let you know you're not a priority but just a number in their catalog. And what's worse: if your album doesn't sell, it could go out of print forever within a couple of years because the labels that owns it simply doesn't care about it and probably forgot it ever existed.

An Al Jardine solo album won't sell big. I wouldn't be surprised if it would sell less than 10,000 copies. I really can't wait to hear it and I'm sure I'll like it, but I think that's how it is. So I think Al would be MUCH better off at a dedicated indie label where people sincerely care for his music...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2008, 01:30:22 PM »

I just wish that Al would take the time in order to go back to the studio in order to record one or two more original compositions to be placed on the album instead of Help Me Rhonda. Well, wishful thinking...  I'd even prefer dodgy rewrites like PT Cruiser over a remake like that. Honkin' Down The Highway however, there's no need for that one to be replaced, of course.  Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2008, 04:19:54 PM »

The trouble is is that he's going for a major label release and the labels (what are those again???) that are showing the most interest want it for a Spring 2009 release -- nothing sooner.

I would've thought the Christmas buying season would've been better than Spring 2009. Does a Spring release mean a tour or trying to link it to the "summery" Beach Boys' music?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2008, 03:13:10 AM »

Does a Spring release mean a tour or trying to link it to the "summery" Beach Boys' music?

It probably just means that all the labels have their schedules full until Spring.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2008, 08:41:09 AM »

Does a Spring release mean a tour or trying to link it to the "summery" Beach Boys' music?

It probably just means that all the labels have their schedules full until Spring.

Don't the major labels pretty much only put out "greatest hits" albums and other stuff they know will sell a lot during the holidays?

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »

According to Bruce, Mike added his vocals to "Don't Fight The Sea".
Aegir:
Mike recently put his vocals on "Don't Fight The Sea" with Scott Totten engineering.
Now you have Al, Brian, Mike & Carl singing all 'together' again on something kinda 'fresh' most likely sounding very pre-1965 classic BB vocal blendish........I think it's a cool move and I can't wait to hear it.

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 30, 2008

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2008, 10:38:58 AM »

Pity Bruce didn't add his vocals - and David.  Once last time...

Honk! Honk!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2008, 11:01:05 AM »

Don't Fight the Sea sounds great (from what I heard), they should really go all out with this song...!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2008, 01:31:07 PM »

Come on! Make it the new Beach Boys single! It has the potential to be their last great song. Maybe that's what Al had in mind all along - he's always been the most enthusiatic about a hypothetical reunion.

Let's hope the lawyers don't get in the way!  Tongue

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2008, 03:30:27 PM »

Aegir:
Mike recently put his vocals on "Don't Fight The Sea" with Scott Totten engineering.
Now you have Al, Brian, Mike & Carl singing all 'together' again on something kinda 'fresh' most likely sounding very pre-1965 classic BB vocal blendish........I think it's a cool move and I can't wait to hear it.

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 30, 2008

Whoa, this is huge! Now we're getting somewhere!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »

Huge is right! It's the actual, honest-to-God Beach Boys. Man, I'm pleased to be able to say that.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »

Awesome news!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2008, 03:27:22 AM »

Aegir:

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 30, 2008

I feel proud for having given him impetus to give an official word on that.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 03:28:17 AM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2008, 05:44:09 AM »

These are great news ! Can't wait to hear the new Beach Boys-song (man, it feels good to say that)

I must admit, I was a little worried that Carl's unreleased recorded vocals weren't used for something like this. Brian did "Soul searching" erasing all the other BBs voices and I feared that this would be the case with DFTS too
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 06:12:59 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2008, 06:08:09 AM »

Aegir:

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 30, 2008
Al is a genius. What a concept, a Beach Boys reunion and Brian isn't back in bed. Wow.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »

Bruce is a really tough guy to talk to online, he always sells himself short. Everyone's asking him why he wasn't on the track and he says that the Beach Boys vocal blend sounds better without him. From reading his posts, it seems the only thing from his entire musical career that he's proud about is Disney Girls.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2008, 03:11:47 PM »

I saw that.

Also, I can't register on that board for some reason, but I thought it slightly odd that he hasn't seen an outtake picture from the Summer Days cover...I'm sure there's on with him on it in the CD booklet, and on the "Back Through The Opera Glass" there definitely is.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2008, 03:59:31 PM »

Yes, it's exciting that we have a "new" song with the Beach Boys' vocal blend on it. I'm extremely excited about that. No offense to Al's sons, but I'd rather hear a song with Brian, Mike, Carl, and Al, than the same song with Al, Adam and Matt. I've been beating that drum for years; enough of this solo stuff.

Anyway, when I said it was huge, it had more to do with the prospect of true reuniting. This "vocal engineering" on "Beyond The Sea" or whatever it is is nice, and I'll take it, but it's not really a reunion. I'm not even sure I want to call it The Beach Boys. It's huge because Mike and Al talked, and Mike acted. It opens the door, and yes, it is a little healing. Just a little. It's huge because of what it can ultimately lead to.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2008, 02:40:04 AM »

These are great news ! Can't wait to hear the new Beach Boys-song (man, it feels good to say that)

I wonder if that is the response they are looking for now as they shop around for a deal. Not a bad selling point.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2008, 10:17:39 AM »

I don't want to negate the joy of having some living and dead BBs on a song again, but I wish the vocals could be recorded all at once. The BBs sound much better that way than each one on his separate track(s).

I am very much looking forward to Al's album, but I in no way want a BB reunion. The BBs are dead. By all means collaborate together, but leave the name and "brand" alone.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2008, 11:04:32 AM »

Except the name and brand isn't left alone.

Even if this wasn't happening, there's still been a "Beach Boys" schlepping Be True To Your School around the world for the last so many decades; it ain't gonna make Mike and Bruce stop. In that case, I'd rather have a Beach Boys consisting of Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Alan Jardine, David Marks and Bruce Johnston.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2008, 10:10:16 AM »

maybe al will turn this into a beach boys album?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx