gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:37:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postcard From California  (Read 39890 times)
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2008, 11:46:01 AM »

It's going to be launched here.....eh...soon!

http://www.beachboyscentral.com/

Razz Razz Razz

in ......2030 ! Grin

In January.  It's certain to move 1 million copies...in January! Smiley
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?etc
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2008, 02:01:45 AM »

I'd like to hear the remaining boys get together with some of the best of their new material over the past years.
There is a new BeachBoys album just waiting to happen.  They don't have to tour together.  They could just release a BeachBoys album.   Would sell better than the sum of al their solo stuff!  They could guest on each others tours and promote the songs in three seperate bands and tours.  With the combined talent in those 3 bands you could get one hell of a sound on a record!

Now that Mike and Al are friends again, they are probably working on it and that's the reason for the delay....  Wink

You just never know?

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/oct/19/beach-boys-co-founder-not-ruling-out-reunion/

Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2008, 04:43:45 AM »

Undecided Note the subtle "dig" at Melinda at the end of the article. I always hold out hope, but something like this, needs to be wholly on THEIR terms. No PR stunt. There has been so much bad blood in the group over the years if it doesn't happen by them, it might drive them further apart.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2008, 04:56:04 AM »

you call that "subtle" !!!
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2008, 05:07:10 AM »

OK, I was trying to be nice to Mike. I'm like that. I try to show respect to everyone.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »

I'd love to see Mike and Al get back together, not just for professional reasons, but also personal ones. We discuss Mike and Brian's relationship a lot, but Mike and Al were very close for many years, and probably shared more together than any other two Beach Boys. I think it will happen.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2008, 08:29:56 AM »

Actually, it just might. I'd be way more likely to see Mike Al and Bruce than I would Mike and Bruce.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »

I'm not interested in the touring entity either way, but (while I am afraid of the production possibilities, neither of them having impressed me in that capacity in about 35 years) I'd gladly give a chance to another Mike-Al-Bruce collaborative album, whether it's Beach Boys or just in their names. I wasn't too thrilled with most of what I have heard from Postcards From California. Maybe a reshuffling of performances on it, or some new songs injected into (or taken from) it would help. (So would production that doesn't sound like 90s adult contemporary, but hey, that's my own taste.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2008, 08:47:02 AM »

Yes, an album of some sort would be great, but I think it's more realistic that Al (and, hopefully David Marks, too) will reunite on the road. Which creates a bit of a problem - too many guitar players! police
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »

That last sentence in the article – "Brian is on a solo path pretty much masterminded by his wife," says Love. "But if Brian and I are alone together with a piano, nature just takes over" -  troubles me.

I mean, when was the last time these two sat at a piano together?

Nature might have taken over a couple of decades ago but how does Love know what would happen if the two sat at a piano today?

(At their age I guess the CALL of nature would take over!)

“We live in divisive times.”
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »

Yes, an album of some sort would be great, but I think it's more realistic that...
But keep in mind, both Al and Mike have albums that are complete. It's a lot easier to make an album when you have two completed sets of tracks as a starting point. It might even cut down Al's "refinement/production" period to, say, another nine or 10 years, rather than the otherwise prerequisite 30.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2008, 11:43:56 AM »

Jeez, I hope not.  I want Al's album now.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »

That last sentence in the article – "Brian is on a solo path pretty much masterminded by his wife," says Love. "But if Brian and I are alone together with a piano, nature just takes over" -  troubles me.

I mean, when was the last time these two sat at a piano together?

Nature might have taken over a couple of decades ago but how does Love know what would happen if the two sat at a piano today?

(At their age I guess the CALL of nature would take over!)
Maybe he means they do it.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 01:08:24 PM »

It's funny, the article doesn't even mention Bruce as being part of the touring band!

Mike and Al used to be pretty close, check out this video at around 5:30 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uehyh57k2_E

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2008, 02:00:23 PM »

Any idea just what kind of line-up would legally constitute the group to be able to use "The Beach Boys" on a album cover? Does it need the ok from Brother?

Remember the Nascar deal was "of the BBs".
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »

Any idea just what kind of line-up would legally constitute the group to be able to use "The Beach Boys" on a album cover? Does it need the ok from Brother?

Remember the Nascar deal was "of the BBs".

If I remember, there has to be at least 1 Wilson in the group to be called The Beach Boys. AGD can correct me on this though.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 09:11:01 AM »

C'mon, Al, release the damn album!
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2008, 06:02:27 AM »

There's no holdup on Al's part. He wants the album out. The trouble is is that he's going for a major label release and the labels (what are those again???) that are showing the most interest want it for a Spring 2009 release -- nothing sooner. He wants it to have distribution above an "indie" only release. Trust me, he's more frustrated about the situation than anyone on the board.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »

Has Capitol no intrest in releasing it ?
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 01:47:52 PM »

There's no holdup on Al's part. He wants the album out. The trouble is is that he's going for a major label release and the labels (what are those again???) that are showing the most interest want it for a Spring 2009 release -- nothing sooner. He wants it to have distribution above an "indie" only release. Trust me, he's more frustrated about the situation than anyone on the board.

I can't believe that any major label would want to have anything to do with an Al Jardine solo release.  I don't meant that as any disrespect to Al, but let's face it, his name doesn't have the same industry power and doesn't garner the same respect that Brian does or that a Beach Boys album would at this time.  I really want this to get released, so I wish Al would let it see an indie release. 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 03:10:52 PM »

Oh, you don't think Al deserves attention from major labels? Did you forget that he sang "Sloop John B" and came up with extra chords for the song? Or did you not notice how his new album's production sounds like a modern MIU, which Al produced, the very same brilliant production that brought to life some of Brian's last great songs for the Beach Boys ("My Diane","Wontcha Come Out Tonight?", and several others) ? This is a masterpiece.  Don't fight the sea, man. A tidal wave of Al Jardine love is coming to us all.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2008, 03:13:11 PM »

It's ludicrous for Al to think he in any way deserves a new release to have the financial backing of a major label. Fewer and fewer artists have that kind of backing, and most who do are flash-in-the-pan hitmakers or longtime stars (Dylan, P. Simon, etc.). Al was in a band that fits that definition, but that band no longer makes new music for commercial release. He ought to bite the bullet, swallow his pride and get the best deal he can. Besides, it's not as if indie labels suffer from poor distribution. Many have distribution through (their parent-company) majors anyway.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2008, 03:24:33 PM »

It's ludicrous for Al to think he in any way deserves a new release to have the financial backing of a major label. Fewer and fewer artists have that kind of backing, and most who do are flash-in-the-pan hitmakers or longtime stars (Dylan, P. Simon, etc.). Al was in a band that fits that definition, but that band no longer makes new music for commercial release. He ought to bite the bullet, swallow his pride and get the best deal he can. Besides, it's not as if indie labels suffer from poor distribution. Many have distribution through (their parent-company) majors anyway.

I have to agree.  Brian is the only member of the band who warrants major label backing, and even that doesn't come too easily for him anymore.  As much as I like Al, his music has extremely limited appeal...not exactly what any label (let alone a major label) is looking for.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2008, 05:47:32 PM »

If the 'legend' himself had to sell his own Roxy CD to get things moving I'm afraid Al is going to have to do the same.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx