gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:13:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Postcard From California  (Read 39825 times)
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »

Any news on this getting released?  Didn't Al initially announce this album sometime in 2007 by asking people to join his mailing list?  Is this project dead in the water?

Thanks,
Matt
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »

It's never going to come out. It's inappropriate music. The tapes have been destroyed.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:41:43 AM »

It's never going to come out. It's inappropriate music. The tapes have been destroyed.

Al is considering completing it in 2044. And do a première run at the Royal Festival Hall in London.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 11:18:54 AM »

Touring with Brian has hurt him emotionally. No release date till he recovers.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 11:52:14 AM »

I hear he's contacting a well-known shrink-to-the-stars with musical aspirations. Name of 'W.C. Handy' or something to that effect. On the Fiji Islands.
Stay tuned.

JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 12:48:24 PM »

Maybe the Postcard has been returned to sender. Who knows? At any reate, I hope Al manages to get it released.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 03:35:11 PM »

I wanted to make a joke about a song causing a building near where Al lives to burn down, but it probably wouldn't be funny considering there were actual wildfires in Big Sur within the past year.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 07:38:13 PM »

Watch it become the truth!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »

What does that mean anyhow?  A Postcard from California? Don't f*** with the formula, Al.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 10:50:19 AM »

What does that mean anyhow?  A Postcard from California? Don't fudge with the formula, Al.

It's a title suggested by Mike. It went thus:
Van Dyke Parks compared the finalized SMiLE in 2004 with a small set of beautiful stamps from California.
Enter Mike, 2007. He's on the phone with Al.
'And hey, Al', sez Mike, ever the philantropist, 'while we're at it: don't call that album 'You Can Call Me Al'. Who'd ever call a piece of music that?
Name it: 'Postcards From California'. If Fat Brian and that little Nerdy Perfester Friend of his bring stamps to the world, then you'll bring Postcards. Got that?'
Al: 'Gee, Mike. That is great. I appreciate that, I really do. You are so good. Thank you Mike, thank so ever so much!'

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 12:05:16 PM »

I really hope it'll come out soon. I'm looking forward to it.

But I don't see what's taking him so long to just bring the thing out. It's 2008, it's very common nowadays to release a CD by yourself and 'distribute' it through your website. Sure it won't sell millions of copies (probably not even a five digit number), but I'm sure there are quite some Beach Boys fans (and maybe a few CSNY/America/Steve Miller/Red Hot Chili Peppers collectors) who'll get it...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:18:50 PM by shelter » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 12:07:24 PM »

Odd - Al may well be the one remaining original Beach Boy who kept his vocal chords in the best of shapes. Am I right?

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 01:13:59 PM »

Believe the album is done and Al has been looking for a record company deal.  I imagine there was a pause by people to see how TLOS sales went.  Maybe Al will be forced to do it independently like "Live in Las Vegas".

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 07:13:09 PM »

I have a feeling it could go the way of Unleash The Love. Maybe he wants to wait a while so he can redo Help Me Rhonda into a 2009 version. This could be the biggest hurry up and wait job since Ed Macmahon cancelled his tour.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 11:48:11 PM »

It's so good that it makes Pet Sounds stink! Cool Guy

(seriously, hope you're able to find a label, Al. Hey, I rhymed! I'm depraved on account of I'm deprived!)

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 02:47:04 PM »

C'mon Al, get it released.  Can't wait to hear the full Don't Fight the Sea!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 04:42:05 PM »

I'd be happy just to hear his remake of "Honkin' Down the Highway."  That's the only reason I want to hear the album, and I hope I can download that track somewhere (paid, of course).
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 12:26:46 AM »

I'd really like to hear that as well.

Alan Boyd persuaded him to play it live once with him and it was pretty damn good! Smiley

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 04:16:06 AM »

I hear it was returned to sender - insufficient postage.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2008, 11:08:20 AM »

Re- Honkin' Down The Highway

I saw Al perform this track three times in Vegas earlier this year.  Wonderful to hear it live.  The first night they flubbed the structure of the song (only slightly).  All the vocalists were cracking up as they hadn't rehearsed it that much.  Al talked about Brian coming in and helping out with vocals on the new studio version.  Sounds liked they both enjoyed themselves.

I hope Postcard does come out soon as I am looking forward to it.  I know Al has taken some shots for the retreads on the cd, but am I the only one that thinks the new version of Lookin' Down The Coast is killer?  I love it.  Great production.  This new version has a majestic sound that is IMHO much better than the already good 70's version of the track.  I am not a big fan of the new Help Me Rhonda, but Don't Fight the Sea has me excited too.  Nothing wrong with a little Carl Wilson vocal.  Nice.  Trisha Campo was kind enough to let me hear the then unreleased Dennis Wilson POB/Bambu as well as a bunch of Al's new cd and I think Postcard from California will be an enjoyable listen.  No revolutionary new musical statement or new ground breaking effort, but does it need to be?  His vocals are still top drawer, great stuff.  Bring it on!
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 04:22:11 PM »

I have told Trish that Al's voice and spirit have not changed since the 60's. An honest observation. Heck, if you listen to him over the years, he really never did sound different.  Grin He obviously takes good care of his voice.

As for the album, I have already reserved both dollars and a space in my collection for it. Whenever the "powers that be" make it available, I will gladly buy it. There is a lot of things that an artist needs to get done to get their album released. Especially when they are not already on a label.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »

It's going to be launched here.....eh...soon!

http://www.beachboyscentral.com/

Razz Razz Razz
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 11:33:44 PM »

It's going to be launched here.....eh...soon!

http://www.beachboyscentral.com/

Razz Razz Razz

in ......2030 ! Grin
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 11:11:16 AM »

I'd like to hear the remaining boys get together with some of the best of their new material over the past years.
There is a new BeachBoys album just waiting to happen.  They don't have to tour together.  They could just release a BeachBoys album.   Would sell better than the sum of al their solo stuff!  They could guest on each others tours and promote the songs in three seperate bands and tours.  With the combined talent in those 3 bands you could get one hell of a sound on a record!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 12:33:59 PM »

I'd like to hear the remaining boys get together with some of the best of their new material over the past years.
There is a new BeachBoys album just waiting to happen.  They don't have to tour together.  They could just release a BeachBoys album.   Would sell better than the sum of al their solo stuff!  They could guest on each others tours and promote the songs in three seperate bands and tours.  With the combined talent in those 3 bands you could get one hell of a sound on a record!

Now that Mike and Al are friends again, they are probably working on it and that's the reason for the delay....  Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx