gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:01:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: We Three Kings  (Read 6475 times)
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2008, 05:19:35 PM »

Hey everyone,

I was just watching this clip from the youtube clip.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zhTP_iCkc

If you haven't seen it, its from a Christmas special and at 1:04 The Beach Boys interupt Marvin Gaye with an amazing acapella version of "We Three Kings of Orient Are."  Does anyone have any info behind this?  Is this actually live or previously recorded... its different from the one on the Christmas album.  This one has 4 voices (even though it shows all 5 BBs) instead of 2 on the album.  I'm assuming that Brian arranged this.. or is it a Four Freshman grab?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 09:01:18 PM »

I don't have any answers for you, but damn that was gorgeous.  Better than the album version I think.  Thanks for posting that!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 09:01:52 PM »

Yes, it's amazing. I always thought it was live, but the way it's interspersed in there, it almost makes you think it was pre-recorded. It's a treasure; there aren't many a capella video clips of the guys from that time period. I would love to see the whole performance. That Christmas special (whatever it was called) must've been on a tight time schedule to edit that down to 1:04.

Not to go off topic, but does anybody know what songs the current Beach Boys perform at their Christmas shows?
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 09:22:25 PM »

When I saw the Christmas show they played The Man With All The Toys, Santa's Beard (I think), traditional r&r tunes (rockin around the Christmas tree I think was in there), Little Saint Nick of course, can't remember any others at the moment (that was in 05, it's probably the same currently).

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 09:35:52 PM »

Thanks, DBD. I was curious if they attempted any of the slower songs like "We Three Kings", "White Christmas", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", or even "Auld Lang Syne".
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 11:10:57 PM »

Fascinating footage.  According to Bellagio 10452, this was originally broadcast 12/23/64, the date of Brian's breakdown on an airplane.  It was filmed either the 14th or 21st of December.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 11:13:22 PM »

Thanks, DBD. I was curious if they attempted any of the slower songs like "We Three Kings", "White Christmas", "I'll Be Home For Christmas", or even "Auld Lang Syne".

You're welcome. yeah I wish they would have done "We Three Kings" and especially "Auld Lang Syne"

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 11:32:42 PM »

Well, if we're posting youtube links, look at this television '76 performance of "Good Vibrations" by Brian in a 'sandbox':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydj86dfm-zA&feature=related

It might be cool to see him playing this song, but talk about not caring. He simplified it to a ridiculous level, playing the chords but the melodic parts are so rudimentary or 'blah' sounding, like a beginner just learning how to play the song. When the chorus comes in at around 1:45, it almost seems like he's about to give up playing the song. He definitely wasn't feeling good vibrations during this performance. He also makes a couple of noticeable mistakes during the song that are pretty jarring. You wonder if it's just him fighting severe depression on air or if he's trying to make some kind of statement by playing one of his most classic songs like that, the song that also happens to be his last great accomplishment before his career collapsed in his eyes.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 07:56:14 AM »

I've always loved Three Kings, it's easily my favorite tune on the Christmas album besides On Christmas Day (which to these ears has to be their single most gorgeous Christmas original). Three Kings is just such a great example of what made the sixties Beach Boys vocal sound so perfectly unique, the melancholic blend of young Brian harmonizing with the other guys still in such marvelous shape.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 08:09:56 AM »

I didn't think the Good Vibrations performance was THAT bad, all things considered.  That song isn't meant to be played solo with just a piano.  What he was playing was indeed simple, but he was just basically doing what the organ was doing on the recording.  I'm sure his nerves didn't help much either.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2008, 08:45:22 AM »

I've always loved Three Kings, it's easily my favorite tune on the Christmas album ...

How's this for useless trivia?  "We Three Kings" was written in Williamsport, PA, the same location of a university called Lycoming College where Bob Moog received a doctorate degree -- & I think Mr. Moog was somehow involved with building the fake Theremin used on "Good Vibrations"!  See, it's all connected!   LOL

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
SG7
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2008, 04:42:51 PM »

I've always loved Three Kings, it's easily my favorite tune on the Christmas album ...

How's this for useless trivia?  "We Three Kings" was written in Williamsport, PA, the same location of a university called Lycoming College where Bob Moog received a doctorate degree -- & I think Mr. Moog was somehow involved with building the fake Theremin used on "Good Vibrations"!  See, it's all connected!   LOL

Thud I go to Mansfield U. and that is only an hour and a half away!! That is really weird!!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 04:46:38 PM »

I didn't think the Good Vibrations performance was THAT bad, all things considered.  That song isn't meant to be played solo with just a piano.  What he was playing was indeed simple, but he was just basically doing what the organ was doing on the recording.  I'm sure his nerves didn't help much either.

I agree. Saw the performance the night it was broadcast, and, despite the wince factor, there was/is something eerily fascinating about this. Whenever I watch the clip, I can't help but wonder what was going through Brian's mind. Is that the most bizarre trio of songs performed in front of a hip audience on national TV? "Back Home", "Love Is A Woman", and "Good Vibrations" with only a piano? Those were the daze...

Back to "We Three Kings"....That is a song, like a few other BW/BB classics like "In My Room", "God Only Knows", "Sloop John B", "This Whole World" - THAT I NEVER GET TIRED OF HEARING! The Beach Boys' Christmas Album could've been even better with just a couple more FAST Christmas songs (on Side 2) with the sleigbells, saxophones, and the rest of The Wrecking Crew doing their thing. But....I still find the album underrated in some ways because it contains some of the very best Brian Wilson lead vocals ever. His voice might've been at its clearest and purist; vocals don't get much better than BW's leads on "Blue Christmas", "White Christmas", and his high falsetto on the fast stuff.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 07:48:35 PM »

Back to "We Three Kings"....That is a song, like a few other BW/BB classics like "In My Room", "God Only Knows", "Sloop John B", "This Whole World" - THAT I NEVER GET TIRED OF HEARING! The Beach Boys' Christmas Album could've been even better with just a couple more FAST Christmas songs (on Side 2) with the sleigbells, saxophones, and the rest of The Wrecking Crew doing their thing. But....I still find the album underrated in some ways because it contains some of the very best Brian Wilson lead vocals ever. His voice might've been at its clearest and purist; vocals don't get much better than BW's leads on "Blue Christmas", "White Christmas", and his high falsetto on the fast stuff.

I completely agree Sheriff, I love the Christmas Album.  The second side is a bid dreary, but there are plently of beautiful moments.  For my money, "Blue Christmas" is one of Brian's best non-falsetto vocals.  Like you said, clear and pure, just amazing.  The harmonies on "I'll Be Home For Christmas" give me chills.  Same with "We Three Kings".  A few faster songs would have been nice, but the first side was pretty upbeat, so I suppose it balances out. 
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »

RE: the performances in the "sandbox"... were these from Saturday Night Live?
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2008, 08:21:05 PM »

Back to "We Three Kings"....That is a song, like a few other BW/BB classics like "In My Room", "God Only Knows", "Sloop John B", "This Whole World" - THAT I NEVER GET TIRED OF HEARING!

I totally agree Sheriff, We Three Kings is beautiful... I have always longed for a release of the backing track and an a cappella version... without doubt my favourite song on the Christmas Album.
SG7
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »

The a cappella coda at the end just kills me everytime I hear it.
Wilsonista
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 01:11:28 PM »

RE: the performances in the "sandbox"... were these from Saturday Night Live?

Yes.
Wilsonista
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 01:13:58 PM »

Fascinating footage.  According to Bellagio 10452, this was originally broadcast 12/23/64, the date of Brian's breakdown on an airplane.  It was filmed either the 14th or 21st of December.

Wasn't this a Shindig episode? I swear I remember the Shindig guy (can't remember his name) introducing the BB during Little Saint Nick.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 04:44:13 PM »

Wasn't this a Shindig episode? I swear I remember the Shindig guy (can't remember his name) introducing the BB during Little Saint Nick.

Yeah it's from Shindig.. I'm not sure if it's from the same episode as when they did Little Saint Nick and Johnny B. Goode.
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 07:40:00 AM »

Thanks to you guys for turning me on to this clip...we did this arrangement a capella last night for the first time! 

Scott
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 08:09:55 AM »

Serious?! Now that's pretty cool... never thought that uploading that video on YouTube 2 years ago would result into this.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »

Thanks to you guys for turning me on to this clip...we did this arrangement a capella last night for the first time! 

Scott

Wow, would've loved to have heard that!!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 09:37:17 AM »

Scott

Incredible...  would have loved to have been there to hear it. 

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »

Serious?! Now that's pretty cool... never thought that uploading that video on YouTube 2 years ago would result into this.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Hey thank you!  I sent Bruce the link and he was knocked out by it.  I taught Mike his part (or reminded him I should say) on the bus ride to the gig, he really is a quick learner.  He seems to really like the arrangement.  So did the audience.

Scott
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx