gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:38:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 168735 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2006, 04:13:42 PM »

I cant believe so many people dislike Tears....its one of my favorite tunes. Its so beautiful to me, even though the lyrics are sad Razz

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2006, 04:39:11 PM »

Yep, I used to be one of them, now I'm one of you.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2006, 11:31:23 AM »

Mostly good.

'Tears in the Morning' is a nauseating concoction of treacle and dogmerda.
'Got to Know the Woman' is...lame.  Sorry, it's cheesy.  Way too Jerry Lee for me.
'At My Window' is very forgettable.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2006, 03:27:48 PM »

Seriously, even after millions of listens, I still forget the lyrics to most songs, including "Stoked".  Lyrics just don't register on a deep level.

I'm glad about that, too.

I skipped Got to Know the Woman without even listening for more than 20 seconds, because it seemed so typical.  Then, for some reason, I decided to listen to the whole thing, and I'm glad I did, because the "choruses" are really interesting and cool.  It doesn't fit with the "bar-room romp" feel of the rest of the song, which I like, and the womens voices bathed in reverb and Mike's ridiculous-as-usual bass mutterings are typically brilliantly silly.

I normally don't pay attention to lyrics in songs; I'm just not lyrically inclined. That probably explains why out of roughly 200 songs I have recorded in 5 years, every last song save one is instrumental.

I love Sunflower. This, Friends, and Holland happen to be my 3 favorite BB albums. And, yes, that includes Pet Sounds. I *love* PS, but I get the most enjoyment from these 3.

Got to know the woman...call me crazy, but it sounds like a proto-Ben Folds Five song to me. Love it. Actually, there's not a single track on this album that doesn't appeal to me in some way. Yes, even "At My Window". Hell, at times, esp. "At My Window".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »

I have the album on now. And I cannot even begin to explain how amazing the actual sound of this album is. Is there anything comparable (non Beach Boys) that I could listen to?

I don't think i've ever heard anything with such rich sound.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2006, 04:57:16 PM »

Yep, I used to be one of them, now I'm one of you.

What happened Ian?  Bruce Johnston and Peter Allen whooped your ass? Wink  I think "Disney Girls" is better than Bruces two tunes here, but I like them nonetheless... The massed "I've got tears, I've got tears, I've got..."  is quite powerful.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2006, 04:58:33 PM »

Bruce Johnston and Peter Allen whooped your ass?

Yep, and they "don't use jelly".

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2006, 05:05:37 PM »

ROFL!  Shocked

BWAHAHA...

Oh dear, but seriously what made you reevaluate mate?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 27, 2006, 05:10:13 PM »

I opened my heart. And closed my snide and ironic nature.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 27, 2006, 05:11:34 PM »

'ey, that's touching mate... but never froget who y'are.

Is it based on fact, 'tears'?  Autobiographical...
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2006, 11:35:13 AM »

Another album that would be a masterpiece if not for some awful song choices.

"Got To Know the Woman" ruins the first side for me.  "Slip On Through," "This Whole World," "Add Some Music," and "It's About Time" are all great. 

I'm not big on "Tears in the Morning."  Overly emotional Bruce there.  "Forever," "Our Sweet Love," "Cool Cool Water."  Superb!   4 out of 5 stars!
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2006, 11:53:37 AM »

My only gripe (sp?) about this album is that they should have opened it up with "This Whole World". Other than that, that's pretty much it. This album moved to my top three. Beaten by Summer Days, and Pet Sounds. I don't know, I enjoy "Got To Know The Woman" a lot. A great lead by Dennis (didnt even know it was him on lead at first) I love the backing vocal on it especially Mike's "mmahmmahmmahmmowmow" during the chorus. "Deirdre" is great. Love the backing track with the trombone, flute, percussion, etc. Great lead from Carl on "It's About Time" but then again, has Carl ever given a bad lead? Lovin' the beat of the drums and percussion in the back. "Tears In The Morning" - great instrumental track with the acordian mixed in there, always enjoy a good Bruce lead. His voice fits perfectly in his leads, imo. "All I Wanna Do" has a good melody too it. All in all, I give it a 5.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2006, 08:55:05 AM »

You mean you can't ignore the words and listen to the most convincing BB rockers of all?  Because the two Denny tracks you dislike are the most credible all-out rocker type songs that the band ever did.  And I love them for that reason. GTKTW has a great rising chorus with some nifty Mike bass vocals, and the congas/drums on IAT are convincing.  Plus Carl gets a real solo for a change.  What's not to like?  I listen to how those songs are sung, not what is sung.

Oh I know..  everytime Dennis says "do the chicken," I merda myself.
No really..  that song is like "Octopus's Garden" on Abbey Road.  Ruins it!
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2006, 06:33:17 PM »

dennis say "DO THE CHICK-AHH!!!"

man alive...denni w gettin his groove on,boy.

a little bckgrnd on sunflower here. 1992/93 continuing on my Bb freakdom.

at first, i was embarrsed by it. i thought slip on, was too hollywood sounding, especially after i smoked a j, then was driving around thinking the background harmonies haad to be women!!!!
i could see them on some f**in' Krofft pupppet show singing "belive,belive" while Denny wa bbeing seriously lustful.
kinda the same way as on here comes the night the wild honey version. the overall lust made me yes, uncomfortable.

then i had a unrealistic anticipation for tihs whole world by Brian. see according to the todd gold bio;
Brian desciberd this tune similar to Surfs up!!!
so when i heard the chugga gtr, immediately, i thought what the f? ui was expecting introspective ruminations, instead i get more Krofft variety show???

to be continued...
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2006, 05:34:01 PM »

"add some music"- loved the group vocal

"got to know the woman"-dennis gettin his groove on
"deirdre"-someone read my BJ appreciation post
"its about time"- a denny inspired reading from Carl, perhaps moved by Brian. an excellent blacksploitation
outtake!!! or starsky and hutch.

Side 2
"tears"- a girlfriend once lamented how wimpy guys can get when faced w/ a cold and lonely bed.
i like Bruce's reading. It took balls to utter the word dAMN a a BB lyric i bet!!! wonder if this why the song didn't chart?

"alli wann do"- to date Mike & Brian's LAST GREAT SONGWRITING COLLAB. IMHO
beautiful production & you can distinctly hear all the bb vox individually.
funny would Mike Love allow his voice to be so bent on a new vox track ever nowadays?Huh

"forever"-beautiful chords, full o'heart from Denny & the gang, Brian falsetto rules.
 when i did first hear the song, for a spell, i thought maybe they were coping the descending chord structure of the day...HOWEVER, this is considerinh, probably the only otyher time they used this was for time to get alone.
so, there, a minor critique of Forever. oh, and DENNY WILL HAVE HIS REVENGE ON JOHN STAMOS!!!

"our sweet love"- GOD ONLY KNOWS rewrite in my book. beyond beautiful sung by Carl. tears my heart out!!!
when did Brian write this, doctor??? i dont think it was on the last capitol disk, nor the landlocked versions eh??
the lyric about the child w/his new toy brings a choke of grief to me.

"at my window"- i won no new Bb converts w/ this one. !st i thought sung by Alan, then i listened closer, and said ahhh, it is my friend Bruce!!!
awesome florish at the end w/ Bass Gtr and harmonies at the fade. i wonder if this tune & add some music were recorded at a similar date???

"cool cool water"- Brian's funny relief at the end of L.p.'s seems to have morphed on this track. I'd like to start a post series on the comedown of Sunflower by using cool water last!!!
Brilliant use of moog synth, they sound like raindrops. reminds me of Pitterpatter the gtr lick sounds like falling rain also!!!
Brian and Mike probably buried the hatchet on this tune, smoked reefer and let it go.

well these are my first recollections of the beach boys Magnum opus SUNFLOWER, now please reply...
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2006, 01:56:37 PM »

It really irks me when people say, "this album would be great if only they replaced song A with song B, and switched C & D around in the line-up."  Make yourself a mix cd and shut the f*** up already.

Dennis didn't write the lyrics to "It's About Time", Bob Burchman did.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2006, 04:04:38 PM »

"Forever" verses always reminded me of "Day in the Life"... what's limiting about ascensions and decensions...  Still, both ripper songs.
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2006, 05:48:32 PM »

That's your opinion and I respect that.  Grin

There is no such thing, however, as BB music that is too sweet for me.  Sunflower is sweet yet soulful. Slip On Through is what "Wild Honey" SHOULD have sounded like. This Whole World is one soulfully kickass Brian rocker that holds its own with the likes of I Get Around or any heyday BB track. Plus there are comtemplative numbers like Add Some Music, Our Sweet Love, and (especially) Forever.  Hell, I even like Bruce's songs (Deirdre more than Tears..) Cool Cool Water tops everything off with inventiveness reminiscent of SMiLE (hell they even use SMiLE's water chant to boot!). I put this as one of my top 10 "desert isle" BB discs and I stand by this.

5 out of 5.

Or 6 out of 5?
summerinparadise.flac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2006, 06:36:18 PM »

4/5
I love alot of it, Slip On Through was probably the first Beach Boys song I really flipped over. I don't like the two Bruce contributions, but they are pleasent enough not to bother me.
All I Wanna Do has one of my favorite Mike vocals.
My only complaint is the backing vocals sometimes sound harsh to my ears.

"I'll haunt you like a ghost"
-Brian Wilson, the Ruby song from Party.

Please support the Beach Boys without being a rude dude or grumpy gus.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2006, 07:50:58 AM »

"When Girls Get Together" should've been included or used to replace one of the subjectively lesser-thought of songs. I've been listening to it all night and it's amazing. The lyrics of course are terrible in every way, all except the last bit;

'One bright springtime morning
I over heard an elderly lady's voice
As I walked by her bench she told her friends of her great loss

After they'd gone away
Three little girls came skipping through the park
Talking of little boys and getting home before it's dark'

I think those two sets are pretty nice the way they bounce off from each other. The song's production is so spiritual; trombones, cellos, horns, woodwinds, and that wonderful sleepy little guitar part. This is one of those songs that really makes me sit up, makes me feel like crying from such a great feeling. I'd take this song over any on Sunflower to be honest.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 07:52:54 AM by HeroesandVillains » Logged

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 14, 2006, 05:04:57 PM »

"When Girls Get Together" . . . . I've been listening to it all night and it's amazing. The lyrics of course are terrible in every way, all except the last bit;

'One bright springtime morning
I over heard an elderly lady's voice
As I walked by her bench she told her friends of her great loss

After they'd gone away
Three little girls came skipping through the park
Talking of little boys and getting home before it's dark'

I think those two sets are pretty nice the way they bounce off from each other. The song's production is so spiritual; trombones, cellos, horns, woodwinds, and that wonderful sleepy little guitar part. This is one of those songs that really makes me sit up, makes me feel like crying from such a great feeling. 

Amen, brother.  I think Sunflower is perfect as is (so I guess I disagree with you on that point), but boy do I agree with you on "When Girls Get Together."  What an absolutely beautiful song.  You're right on target about the "spiritual" production/arrangement.  And you're right, those last two verses are very poetic (although I like all the lyrics).  I also particularly love the vocals -- the simple two-part harmony is rare for the Beach Boys and sounds very sweet.  I can't tell if it's Mike double-tracked harmonizing with himself or Mike and Brian (if it's Brian singing harmony his vocal is really buried in the mix, but AGD's liner notes say it's Brian).  Either way it's a beautiful vocal, very soulful in its way.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »

I have to give this a 5. The album everyone thinks Abbey Road is.

Do you mean an attempt to recapture the magic?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2006, 01:55:05 PM »

No, but yes!

The Trader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 11, 2006, 07:33:31 PM »

Sunflower is bliss from the second its starts till those closing notes of Cool, Cool Water. Definately one of my favourite record of all time.

I love it so much that i actually resist listening to it, until ive done something positive. and then i reward myself with a Sunflower listening session.  Tongue
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2006, 03:04:21 PM »

I can't tell if it's Mike double-tracked harmonizing with himself or Mike and Brian (if it's Brian singing harmony his vocal is really buried in the mix, but AGD's liner notes say it's Brian).

It's Brian. You can hear him a little better on a good pair of headphones.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx