gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:21:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Sunflower
5 - 155 (73.8%)
4 - 45 (21.4%)
3 - 8 (3.8%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunflower  (Read 168715 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2006, 01:54:06 AM »

Got it today.

5 stars...stunning

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2007, 10:23:55 PM »

I like this album a lot, but I only gave it a 4. I think that all of the songs are very well done, but none of them really knock me out. Like on Surfs Up (Til I Die, Life of a Tree and Feel Flows). Although, unlike Surfs Up there are no weak tracks. I have a hard time listening to Add Some Music though.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2007, 02:30:27 PM »

A BIG 5 stars from me. This is my favorite all around BB album. Many little-known gems are hidden on Sunflower...the first time I heard it I was in Heaven.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2007, 04:37:00 AM »

I really like this album. I also have a soft spot for it because this was my first real exploration in to becoming a fan of the boys. Believe it or not before I got into the band I had no idea of ANY of the bands songs. I didnt know who Wouldnt It Be Nice, California Girls or Fun Fun Fun or any songs were by? But this album was what started it for me. I took the CD out of my dads collection about a year and a half ago and I put on the song Forever (after it was suggested to me) and I fell in love with it. I didnt stop playing that song for ages. Then I heard Tears In The Morning and although I know a lot of people dont particularly like that song it was better than a lot of garbage I had been listening to previously and therefore it made me think to myself - "man ive never heard either of these songs yet they're so great, maby these guys have more unheard gems like this" and so there is where my desire to explore their albums/songs in more detail began. So I hold a soft spot for Forever and Tears In The Morning. I love pretty much every song on this album:

Slip On Through - fantastic opener. Sets the tempo nicely for a great album
This Whole World - a great BW composition and production. Classic song
Add Some Music - a great group effort (in terms of vocals - though I dont think Dennis gets a turn at lead? or am I wrong there?)
Got To Know The Woman - not the best cut on the album but a bit of harmless fun and pretty good nonetheless
Deirdre - can get a bit old and boring but still decent enough and still a pretty decent composition
Its About Time - another decent song though nothing spectacular
Tears In The Morning - already covered this one above. I will add though that I really love the piano section at the end of the song
All I Wanna Do - a fantastic song. Brilliant
Forever - no doubt one of the bands best songs ever in my opinion (though of course Im biased due to the reason I mentioned above)
Our Sweet Love - a fantastic song
At My Window - again a bit of harmless fun. I really dont mind this song though its certainly the low point of the album
Cool Cool Water - slendid composition once more. Rounds off the album nicely.

Overall brilliant singing, brilliant engineering/production and generally brilliant songs. An easy 5
thomasogg
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2007, 03:37:46 PM »

4 of of 5. An undeniably great album, but I personally prefer Surf's Up and Holland. Dennis' songs are all great of course, though they really shouldn't have left off his magnificent 'Lady', a ballard even better than Forever (ideally they could've included it in place of either 'Deirde' or 'At My Window'. Preferably Deirde - I hate Bruce!) Anyway, I'm also not overly keen on 'Add Some Music..', but the rest of the album - 'Our sweet love', "cool cool water', 'this whole world' - is pretty great, and 'All I Wanna Do' is probably Mike's finest hour in the bands entire career. For 2 and a half minutes it's genuinely possible to fogot just what an absolute c*** the bloke was! All in all, a great record! Not in my top 5 perhaps, but definately ten ten!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 04, 2007, 02:20:22 AM »

This would be a perfect album if not for one line: "do the chicken".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 04, 2007, 02:29:44 AM »

This would be a perfect album if not for one line: "do the chicken".

So does that mean that you didn't give it a 5 just for that?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 04, 2007, 03:21:22 AM »

No, I still gave it a 5. Nothing's perfect.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 04, 2007, 09:28:49 AM »

Yeah I gave it a 5 of course... I agree though, nothing is perfect kind of like in "You Still Believe In Me" how it has the bicycle bell etc.. Im used to it but I would have preferred Brian had left it out (I know it was impossible unless he re-recorded it but still) and "come on and do the chicken" kind of bugs me aswell
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 04, 2007, 02:12:01 PM »

Well, a 5 on a 5 scale is. By definition, right?  Wink

You're right about that line, though. Just plain embarrassing. (Obviously, very good album despite them. But I didn't give it a 5. I forget what I gave. It was long ago when I voted.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2007, 07:34:43 PM »

I actually quite like the bell in You Still Believe in Me.

But anyway, yes, five out of five is indeed perfect. But there's no, you know, 4.9.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 04, 2007, 07:37:31 PM »

But anyway, yes, five out of five is indeed perfect. But there's no, you know, 4.9.

I'm no mathematician, but there must be: it comes between 4.8 and 5.0, right? Or between 4.89 and 4.91. Or...aw, damn, math sucks. I shall now return to music.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2007, 11:53:22 PM »

I forget what I gave. It was long ago when I voted.)

Luther I'm pretty sure that if you look up the top at the results of the poll, the number that you voted for is in bold whereas the others aren't, atleast thats how it is for me.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 05, 2007, 12:01:33 AM »

Yeh I still like the bell but only because thats how I know the song to be. I just think it would have been better without it. But yeh I still like it all the same, it doesn't tarnish the song for me or anything like that, whereas "come on and do the chicken" sort of tarnishes GTKTW, I mean I still like the rest of the song but I just cringe when that line comes up.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2007, 08:13:30 AM »

Funny thing is, I hear Do the Chicken, along with that beat, and I automatically go into chicken mode. 
Good Funky Pretty.  Much better than the Manilowesque syrup slathered on some of the tracks. Razz
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2007, 01:07:30 PM »

Mmmm, syrup.

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2007, 01:43:52 PM »

A well-deserved fiver, and a deep bow for this album.
Robav63
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »

I've just got hold of Sunflower/Surfs Up via eBay...its a "twofer" but 12" vinyl version in a gatefold sleeve. At 99p its a real bargain Grin

I didnt know this had been released and I've never heard of it before.

I wont get it for a week or two, so can anyone throw any light on its year of release/country of origin???

If I Could Live My Life Again........
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2007, 07:13:27 PM »

Just got the album today.....it is very optimistic sounding, and very different from anything else I've heard by them....at the moment I give it a 3.5- 4 out of 5.......something just doesn't seem quite right about the album though....
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2007, 01:59:41 PM »

After a # of listens, I'm not impressed with this album the way other people are....BJ's music kills it....Dennis' songs, with the exception of "Forever", sound rather dated to me, but OK....."Forever" being to the Beach Boys what "Something" was to the Beatles, IMO.

This Whole World is pure genius.

All I Wanna Do sounds cool...

Cool Cool Water is cool....

All in all I prefer Love You, Holland, CATP, and Surf's Up(kinda), to this album...

I give this album a ......3

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 01, 2007, 11:13:22 PM »

After a # of listens, I'm not impressed with this album the way other people are....BJ's music kills it....Dennis' songs, with the exception of "Forever", sound rather dated to me, but OK....."Forever" being to the Beach Boys what "Something" was to the Beatles, IMO.

This Whole World is pure genius.

All I Wanna Do sounds cool...

Cool Cool Water is cool....

All in all I prefer Love You, Holland, CATP, and Surf's Up(kinda), to this album...

I give this album a ......3

I love Sunflower, even Bruce's songs. Took me a while to get past the corniness, but they are enjoyable or me to listen to now. Cool Cool Water is fucking breathtaking. Forever is great. I love Dennis' other songs. So what if they sound dated, a dated-sounding song from 1970 still sounds a hell of a lot better than dated-sounding stuff from the 80s. Add Some Music has some iffy lyrics, but that's just a minor distraction. Steve Desper did a great job making Sunflower sound awesome.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »

I agree with Ascrodin. Sunflower is an absolute creative peak for all of the beach boys. Dennis Wilson opens the album and sets pace for the whole album. Dennis' songs are amazing and sensitive and he was always getting better.

But by this point Brian Wilson was making far fewer songs, but everything he did was as genius as his Pet Sounds days. This Whole World is incredible. The breakdown "when girls get mad at boys" is beautiful enough to bring you to tears.

And the sort of corny Add Some Music To Your Day is outstanding, especially if you let the song get past the first and second verses, when the amazing backing vocals come in. The Beach Boys were singing and blending together better than ever.

Things only get better from here with Dennis' 50s rocker, Got To Know The Woman. And it quickly segues into my favorite song of the album, Bruce's beautiful ballad Deirdre. Whether you know it or not, Bruce Johnston is an outstanding singer, songwriter and pianist. Deirdre is an amazing high point of this album, and my second daughter will be named Deirdre (right after Caroline   Wink).

And the album never lets up, the next few songs bring you offerings from Dennis and Bruce and Brian, and even Carl and Al helped write some of the songs. I really love the songs All I Wanna Do and the sensitive Brian, Carl and Al piece, Our Sweet Love. These songs are very moving.

Obvious highlights are Dennis' Forever, and Bruce's Tears In The Morning, with their strong song writing and beautiful instrumentations. This album was definitely a little ballad heavy, but the result is an extremely sensitive and moving album.

I guess the weirdest part of the whole album is the ending with the story book like At My Window and Cool, Cool Water. But these 2 songs are still just as amazing as everything else.

I guess all I'm trying to say is, dismissing this album as anything less than outstanding, and one of their best albums is evidence of someone with no ears, or highly dysfunctional ones. This album has all the instrumentation of Smile, the sensitivity of Pet Sounds, the relaxing vibes of Friends, and one of the last true Beach Boys albums we have.

The album f
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2007, 04:34:48 PM »

This album represents the pinnacle of their progression in the studio to me...true stereo sound, 24 track recorded on the best mics and gear, well, pretty much ever. An audiophile album in the same league as Pet Sounds and Smile for me personally (at least in terms of production and sound, perhaps not lyrics and hooks though). The more I listen to this album, the more it opens up in terms of sound and I am left blown away by all the little nuances and minute details each time I listen to this album. It really does feel like their last kick at the can in terms of an artistic album being produced by a more or less cohesive unit. Things would never be this way again imo...an easy decision to rate this album a 5.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2007, 07:40:37 PM »

I guess all I'm trying to say is, dismissing this album as anything less than outstanding, and one of their best albums is evidence of someone with no ears, or highly dysfunctional ones.

With all due respect, I disagree with that statement........  there is nothing wrong with my ears if I can't bear to listen to Bruce's songs, or if Denny's contributions sound dated to me....except Forever, which I have much love for.....I like his songs alot, they are "nice", but sound dated..

Add Some Music is a good idea, but bores me to listen to it...I especially can't stand Mike's lead vox on that one....

Our Sweet Love is an incredible tune, don't get me wrong...but it just doesn't thrill me the way most any of Brian's other tunes do...it's just kind of like..."eh"...

This album has all the instrumentation of Smile, the sensitivity of Pet Sounds, the relaxing vibes of Friends, and one of the last true Beach Boys albums we have.

Again, with all due respect, I disagree with this statement.....
all the instrumentation of SMiLE!?Huh nope...

the sensitivity of Pet Sounds??? little here compares to the musical representation of human sensitivity as the immortal Pet Sounds does......

the relaxing vibes of Friends??? not on the whole....

one of the last true BB albums???   well, what about Surf's Up, CATP, Holland, and Love You?? Those don't count??

Nothing wrong with my ears, Warnakey, just different tastes....

P.S. Did I mention how much I can't stand Bruces' crap?? There is nothing Bruce wrote that belongs in the category of "Rock and Roll"......Give ME ROck, or Give me Death...anything except Bruce Johnstons garbage  Evil
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:45:23 PM by noname » Logged
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2007, 08:03:35 PM »

One last thought...I do love the sound quality / nuances on this record, and I think Mr. Desper needs to be commended for his efforts...... Rock!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:32:30 PM by noname » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx