gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:05:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on Jay Leno  (Read 14693 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »

A bit of honesty on TLOS and associated promotion on this board is like a breath of fresh air.  Cool
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 08:39:13 PM »

Ah, it's the old "negativity is the only honesty" trick.

So the people who like it aren't being honest? Or not as honest as the people who do?

The only true Brian Wilson fan, you see, is someone contemptuous of Brian Wison.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2008, 08:41:47 PM »

I too was the letdown by Brian's performance--but I wouldn't call it a flop, it was just relentlessly average. Obviously, this is a fantastic and very catchy song, but Brian's voice was not in good form at all and his vocal mic could've had some tape echo to it-would've made up for a lot.

At first I thought Brian's performance was totally stiff, but when I rewatched it today it wasn't that bad, especially near the end on the fade, where Brian visibly loosens up. Still, he's a bad stage performaner on this cut, or at least is for a majority of the time, especially when he's on TV. (Obviously, this is still heads and shoulders above Mike Douglas or the SNL attrocities (by which I mean "Good Vibrations mainly")

But the thing that let me down was that the Live From Abbey Road performance was so good, seriously good as well, "Southern California" is a great song and was uplifted by a superb vocal performance. He's capable of good performances, but was suffering from stage-fright on "Goin' Home." Hope he does better next time.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wilsonista
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2008, 08:47:16 PM »

The band always sounds great. I thought Brian was a disaster.

The effect they went for, with "That Luck Old Sun" segueing into "Going Home" (a la "Our Prayer" into "Heroes And Villains", another idea recycled) was completely lost because Brian couldn't project vocally. Brian tried to sing "Going Home" almost entirely in a low register, which he is not good at; he seemed very unsure of himself. He couldn't keep up with the "At 25 I turned out the lights...." part. He was late coming with his "rock, roll, rollin' down the river" part. His hand gestures were all over the place; the cameramen had to do acrobatics to cut away from Brian to save him from embarrassment. Again, forced smiles, deer-in-the-headlights, never touched a piano key, same old stuff.

What was so great about this performance? Other than "Night Time" from Lettermen in 1988, I thought this was his worst.

Worse than Farm Aid '98? Last night wasn't a good night for Brian, but "worst ever" is a bit of a strecth.  But of course  I;m talking to the guy who wishes that Brian's album were Beach Boys albums,,,,
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »

Rob...Damn right the Farm Aid 98 was worse. Hell, I'd rank that up with Long Beach 1981 for worst ever Brian performance, as at least back then he had an excuse.

Viewing it online right now. I'm so sick of that Friday's ad.

Ehh...not one of Brian's best performances. Great song choice, but he sang it way too reserved. If he'd have busted out his "Drive-in" style vocal, it would have been better.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2008, 09:16:31 PM »

I mostly agree. SJS and I tend to differ on most things, but I really don't think anyone who isn't already a fan, or who isn't interested in the back-story, or who isn't a bit of a sadist, really seeing live BW performances and thinking "yep, THAT GUY is the one I want to get into!" He isn't very good live, most of the time. And obviously, he's very, very awkward at best. It is with no disrespect to my favorite pop musician ever that I say there's a pretty good chance the band would have better success live among non-fans if he weren't there, and the group were fronted by Scott, Taylor, Darian, etc. In television, appearances count--quite possibly too much. The band is spot-on regardless of Brian, but he's shaky musically and a disaster (to a non-fan) visually. I can almost see Landy with the "smile!" placards off in the wings, the way he awkwardly busts out crazy grins here and there (between pointing at his head, his mouth, making an "I don't know!?" gesture and a few other ones). Before anyone comes down on my negativity, I repeat: Brian Wilson is my single favorite pop musician. Maybe favorite musician overall. I'd be thrilled to see him live with TLOS if he brings it this way. But if we're talking about winning over new fans, it's a tough road for him on television without some context.

I see what you mean but as far as making new fans goes, if his performance is a turnoff I'd wager TLOS just wouldn't work for them period.  Brian's a quirky guy.  That either pushes you away or, well, brings you here.  I don't think there's a lot of middle ground.
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2008, 09:31:33 PM »

I really wonder sometimes just what Brian Wilson would have to do to please some people these days.

From the Pet Sounds tours, Smile tour (anyone in London that week will tell you how that went!) - then the Smile album, Glastonbury, TLOS tours (UK and Oz), assorted successful festivals and now this CD - which by and large has been very well received - and certain "fans" have knocked them mercilessly one after the other.

I just don't get it - what exactly do people expect at this stage of his life? - and if you don't like anything he does - don't watch it, buy it or go to the shows!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »

What strikes me as odd is that here and elsewhere, fandom seems to be defined as an all-or-nothing proposition. That's fucking ridiculous. I can like three of ten, seven of ten or ten of ten songs. It's irrelevant to number eleven. I don't find any particular "cool" factor in insulting Brian Wilson, or feel the need to kiss his ass. There are quite a few numbers between zero and 10. People's rankings of anything fill the spectrum. It isn't an insult to anyone. Sometimes boards are as bad as the dumbfuck convention that--thank gods--is finished up tonight across the river here. It's all "with us or against us" sh*t.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2008, 10:26:47 PM »

I don't think it's all or nothing at all.

I didn't watch the show because I've seen enough of Brian live on television, and he's seldom that great. It was once novel, and now it's not so unusual.

I just take issue with the attitude that because someone doesn't like something Brian does, that means they're "finally telling the truth" or "finally seeing through the hype." That's an attitude that excludes a lot of folks -- including those in the middle.

That being said, I think Luther has a point. Who knows if this will make anyone buy the album. Does Brian just seem too odd to put it over? That's certainly a legit question when an album like TLOS is aiming for mainstream success.

And Luther -- nice GOP reference . :-)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:30:28 PM by claymcc » Logged
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2008, 11:07:16 PM »

but how many copies will sell in Alaska? Wink
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2008, 12:03:51 AM »

I just watched it on NBC.com... the intro was a little rough, but he sounded fine for the rest of it.  But most importantly - Brian SMILING?!  When was the last time we saw THAT?  Smiley

Whether or not it sells any CD's... well, the more I think about it, the more I have to agree with others.  Now, this is coming from someone who is a hardcore Beach Boys fan and *gets* Brian,  and understands what he does, so be warned in advance - no... you know what, I won't.  I typed a whole spiel here, but I had to delete it.  As someone who has dealt with mental illness as well, I have no right to critique.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2008, 01:04:14 AM »

Can someone post a link to this video? I can't find it on NBC.com anywhere.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chloepaintings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2008, 01:06:11 AM »

Gahh! Someone put it on youtube! NBC.com isn't letting me watch THAT episode because I am in the wrong country. However it did for some reason let me watch the one before with Russell Brand. Hmm, maybe it doesn't us foreigners watch the LAST one for some reason.

I think it's lovely that Brian goes on TV still. I know some untutored folks might look askance at him. I can sympathize with both sides of the argument. But sometimes the oddness or the context-missmatch is part of the delight for those of us who enjoy him. He's still there dammit! And broadly speaking, he seems pretty happy at the moment.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2008, 01:11:08 AM »

It's the MUSIC that matters. Putting aside how remarkable it is for him, at his age and the
wear and tear that he has been through, to produce work as good as TLOS, his modern
songwriting, so far, has not had the kind of universality and resonance with current mainstream audiences that would generate large sales figures or attract many new listeners.

If he could tap into that vein of magic again, his performance and personal awkwardness
would be largely irrelevant. TLOS is a great achievement for him, but it's not likely to lift the bar of his popularity much higher. His music has grown more iconoclastic over the years, and now has a simple, sunny optimism that, while unique, unfortunately has a somewhat limited appeal to the masses.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 07:01:13 AM »

I have to agree with Sheriff JS.  Brian's TV performances are always uncomfortable to watch.  But I've often wondered why they don't work on his stage presence.  Everyone in the biz works on that to some extent.  Nothing wrong with that.  Just somethng simple.  Like keep the hands on the keyboard, glance at the keyboard once in a while as if actually playing,  return gaze to the audience.  Stop with the I'm a little teaapot gestures, Use broader gestures, something like a Paul Schaeffer arm in the air.  Move a little with the beat.

If Brittany Spears can be taught to sing AND dance, Ringo can front a band, and Tom Petty can do the Superbowl, surely Brian could be coached in how to enhance his stage presence and appearance just a little more.

Respectfully submitted,

Don
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2008, 07:47:44 AM »

I just watched the show on the tonite sight ....just a little patience brings it right up.

Most of you have seen that old promo video of I Get Around from back in the day.  The band sitting around a woody tailgate without their instruments lipsynching the song.  Brian gestures pointing to his head (I'm a real cool head) and slides his fingers together as if flashing money (I'm makin real good bread)

Well, he's still doing that after all these years.  That part, is nothing new.  He needs to keep his hands busy someother way, playing a dead keyboard or something.

Just sayin.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2008, 10:48:56 AM »

I don't see how that's any different than Mike turning up the radio dial, doing the chicken dance, and whipping a horse in Fun, Fun, Fun.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »

It's unrealistic to expect BW to a) not look wooden on stage and b) suddenly have mainstream appeal. If you're waiting for these things to happen I think you're going to be a continually disappointed BW fan. I'm a fan of BW now purely because I'm interested to hear what beautiful, uplifiting melodies he's still capable of writing. After hearing TLOS and the bonus tracks I've been thrilled to find that I love about half of his new songs. To my ears he still has the same songwriting ability that he did in the late 80s (well, almost), which I find really exciting. Maybe for some that is nothing special but on this basis I am really eager to hear the next album if this current creative spree is enough to generate one.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2008, 01:54:18 PM »

I don't see how that's any different than Mike turning up the radio dial, doing the chicken dance, and whipping a horse in Fun, Fun, Fun.

Its a subtle difference I think...Mike looked like an idiot, Brian looks more disturbed, and not doing it on purpose.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2008, 02:14:46 PM »

He needs to keep his hands busy someother way, playing a dead keyboard or something.

Just sayin.
Agreed.  I'll be frank:  at this stage of the game, Brian's voice isn't what I tune in to hear.  But these TV & concert set-ups make it seem as though that's the draw, and it ain't.  I'm just happy to see the guy, but then I'm a fan.  Give the guy a bass or a tambourine at the very least for God's sake!  His hand gestures are, I'm afraid, disturbing; it's like watching your lil' old Mom dance in her sitting chair when a good tune comes on...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2008, 02:23:20 PM »

Heck, even if Brian was playing the piano and singing by himself it would be an improvement. Keep in mind I'm just talking about for TV appearances. But if they had Brian & the piano turned to the side (so brian doesn't have to look directly at the audience) and Brian was just banging away on the piano & singing, it would be a 1000x imrprovement. When ever there's a documentary, or an interview piece, or anything like that, where Brian's singing & playing the piano, he sounds good 95% of the time.

Then again, anything beats his early solo appearances where he was just  mashing his hands against a turned off keyboard like a stroke victim.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

Exactly.  Have him as part of his band, not the feature presentation itself.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 02:31:00 PM »

I'm curious as to what the opinion of the board is to this wacky notion:

'That Lucky Old Sun' by Brian Wilson & the Douchebags (or whateva)
Songs by Brian Wilson, Scott Bennett and Van Dyke Parks
Produced by Brian Wilson & Scott Bennett
Arranged by Brian Wilson, Paul Von Mertens, Darian Sahahnaja and Scott Bennett

Would that make the album less than what it is already, i.e. a good album?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 02:58:10 PM by Compost » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 02:34:49 PM »

I know but that's unrealistic, whether you like it or not, Brian Wilson is, and needs to be, the focus. His band, however talented, are session musicians, not personalities, and nobody wants to watch session musicians. If he was to the side on a piano people would be wondering who they were watching. The fact is he is a casualty - that's part of the Brian Wilson brand. So he has to be the focus, warts and all. That's why every bit of publicity from his team stresses the 'he's been to hell and back' backstory - it pre-empts the inevitable "what the hell is wrong with this guy?" questions from the uninitiated.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »

I know but that's unrealistic, whether you like it or not, Brian Wilson is, and needs to be, the focus. His band, however talented, are session musicians, not personalities, and nobody wants to watch session musicians. If he was to the side on a piano people would be wondering who they were watching. The fact is he is a casualty - that's part of the Brian Wilson brand. So he has to be the focus, warts and all. That's why every bit of publicity from his team stresses the 'he's been to hell and back' backstory - it pre-empts the inevitable "what the hell is wrong with this guy?" questions from the uninitiated.
Point well made, but would it really hurt?  As SJS suggested, his TV appearances aren't exactly of the "reel 'em in" variety.  A billing of Brian Wilson & the Wondermints might just (and justly) raise his backing band from the mere "session musician" status they are ascribed to that of "contributing members", thus becoming a minor draw themselves, and it would take the pressure off of a clearly uncomfortable BW.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx