gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:14:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian on Jay Leno  (Read 14669 times)
blazer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2008, 07:42:12 PM »

Brian is scheduled to appear on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Wednesday September 3rd.  Any guesses on what his song selection will be? 

I am going with "Good Kind of Love", though "Forever My Surfer Girl" would not surprise me.  Thr Venice Beach narrative would also be cool.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »

It's been announced as "Goin' Home," I believe.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 08:41:38 PM »

Perfect song, as to me that would be the perfect choice as Brian really rocks on that one.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 08:46:06 PM »

Yeah it is a good choice, probably the song mostly likely to catch the ear of the casual listener.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 08:19:17 PM »

Not too much longer to wait...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 09:50:32 PM »

Probyn rockin the Les Paul.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 09:58:12 PM »

I was hoping at the end he would've said, "Happy Birthday, Al".... police
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 10:02:42 PM »

Brian sounded pretty good (except one bum note or two during the "Lucky Old Sun" intro), as did the band.  "Goin' Home" rocked just like the record.  It's like any other time Brian is on TV though...we all enjoy it, but the casual viewer who happens to catch his performance probably finds his movements to be quite bizarre and doesn't really focus on the music as a result.
?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »

Do you think casual viewers that are unfamiliar with his history notice things like that as much as we do though?

I liked it, they sounded great.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:18 PM »

I missed it..DVR didn't record the whole show. Grrr....

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 10:23:30 PM »

Do you think casual viewers that are unfamiliar with his history notice things like that as much as we do though?

I liked it, they sounded great.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do...you don't see other performers looking that uncomfortable and making odd gestures while singing.  I could be wrong, but I just think that if you don't know his history and aren't used to seeing him perform, someone watching might find the whole thing pretty odd.

They sure did sound great though, I'll agree with you there.  Good song choice I thought.
blazer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 10:30:58 PM »

At the end of the daily ESPN sports talk show Pardon the Interruption (PTI) , Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon always close with their reccomended t.v. viewing for the evening.  Tony reccomended "Watch the genius Brian Wilson on Jay Leno".  Michael came back with "A genius? I thought Brian Wilson was a Beach Boy". Tony replied "What?  You can't be a Beach Boy & and a genius?".  Way to go Tony!!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 01:52:52 AM »

Just read on the blueboard - it was Going Home.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:54:24 AM by elnombre » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 05:23:54 AM »

Probyn rockin the Les Paul.

Yes...a VERY sweet Gold Top.
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 05:27:43 AM »

I missed it..DVR didn't record the whole show. Grrr....

You can watch the complete (if you want to put yourself through that) show on nbc.com---go to the tonight show and find the date---at least that's what they said during one of the commericals last night.  I thought his performance was too short.
SG7
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »

The band seemed a lot livelier then I have seen them before, which is a good thing Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 03:45:35 PM »

I think casual viewers would think "who the hell is this old guy? why is he acting weird? what's with the gestures and facial expressions? He's weird." But hopefully they'd listen to the song, too, because I think it's a really good one that any rock 'n' roll fan can like.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 06:08:20 PM »

I think casual viewers would think "who the hell is this old guy? why is he acting weird? what's with the gestures and facial expressions? He's weird." But hopefully they'd listen to the song, too, because I think it's a really good one that any rock 'n' roll fan can like.

You do realise that he was introduced as a founding member of the beach boys

So there would be no 'who the hell is this old guy'

No need to come across so harsh.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 06:32:18 PM »

Yeah, nobody could possibly come in a second after that was said, for example. Or, in the case of young viewers, think "who are the Beach Boys?" I didn't mean anything harshly. I was saying what I think most casual viewers would think. Is this the blueboard? Am I going to be chased away by threats of "Brian is reading! You're hurting his feelings!"?

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »

I've been biting my tongue about TLOS, the album, but Brian's TV appearances cannot be rationalized.

Brian Wilson is one of the few artists, whose TV appearances, intended to promote his albums and increase sales, in reality, produces the opposite effect. I can not envision many people viewing Brian's TV performances, dating all the way back to David Lettermen in 1988, saying, "Wow, that guy's great. I'm gonna buy that CD". Or, "What a great song. I want more of that". I think the reaction is entirely the opposite, except for the "freak show" factor, which attracts some, much like Brian's re-emergence in 1976.

Brian would be best served if he did no TV publicity.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »

At the end of the daily ESPN sports talk show Pardon the Interruption (PTI) , Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon always close with their reccomended t.v. viewing for the evening.  Tony reccomended "Watch the genius Brian Wilson on Jay Leno".  Michael came back with "A genius? I thought Brian Wilson was a Beach Boy". Tony replied "What?  You can't be a Beach Boy & and a genius?".  Way to go Tony!!

Tony's a BIG Beach Boys. He's mentioned them before.

Also, he's a BU alum. GO BEARCATS!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 07:19:28 PM »

I mostly agree. SJS and I tend to differ on most things, but I really don't think anyone who isn't already a fan, or who isn't interested in the back-story, or who isn't a bit of a sadist, really seeing live BW performances and thinking "yep, THAT GUY is the one I want to get into!" He isn't very good live, most of the time. And obviously, he's very, very awkward at best. It is with no disrespect to my favorite pop musician ever that I say there's a pretty good chance the band would have better success live among non-fans if he weren't there, and the group were fronted by Scott, Taylor, Darian, etc. In television, appearances count--quite possibly too much. The band is spot-on regardless of Brian, but he's shaky musically and a disaster (to a non-fan) visually. I can almost see Landy with the "smile!" placards off in the wings, the way he awkwardly busts out crazy grins here and there (between pointing at his head, his mouth, making an "I don't know!?" gesture and a few other ones). Before anyone comes down on my negativity, I repeat: Brian Wilson is my single favorite pop musician. Maybe favorite musician overall. I'd be thrilled to see him live with TLOS if he brings it this way. But if we're talking about winning over new fans, it's a tough road for him on television without some context.

CarCrazyCutie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 07:32:46 PM »

I honestly think he sounded great (and I'm not blind to the fact that Brian has had his share of not so great sounding performances, so I'm not just saying "thats great" solely because it's Brian Wilson). Even my stepmom, who usually has little to no taste in good music, saw it and was impressed. There were even moments where I would swear it sounded like Brian 40 years ago. Anyway I'm so so happy for Brian. I think both he and the band were amazing and the entire album is incredible Grin

Oh, and what kids, even today, don't know who the Beach Boys are Huh lol     I certainly don't know any Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 07:34:28 PM »

I thought they sounded really good, too.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »

The band always sounds great. I thought Brian was a disaster.

The effect they went for, with "That Luck Old Sun" segueing into "Going Home" (a la "Our Prayer" into "Heroes And Villains", another idea recycled) was completely lost because Brian couldn't project vocally. Brian tried to sing "Going Home" almost entirely in a low register, which he is not good at; he seemed very unsure of himself. He couldn't keep up with the "At 25 I turned out the lights...." part. He was late coming with his "rock, roll, rollin' down the river" part. His hand gestures were all over the place; the cameramen had to do acrobatics to cut away from Brian to save him from embarrassment. Again, forced smiles, deer-in-the-headlights, never touched a piano key, same old stuff.

What was so great about this performance? Other than "Night Time" from Lettermen in 1988, I thought this was his worst.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx