gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:03:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Steven Gaines Thread  (Read 82856 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2008, 07:51:31 PM »

I'll see your wink and raise you a drunken grope.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »

And we've chased away yet another honored guest.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2008, 08:22:37 PM »

And yet, despite the abuse hurled his way, Andrew Doe continues to honor us with his presence!
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2008, 08:51:23 PM »

Mr. Gaines -- Your presence here is/has been greatly appreciated.  Ian has been a serious biographer of the groups' history (since 1961) for the last three or so years.  See AGD'S Bellagio site (http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/).   Not knowing him personally but...knowing him...I am POSITIVE he wasn't trying to 'correct you', per se.  He was just doing what he's done for a long time now. 

Please don't think it was an attack on you or the book.  Or the info in the book. 

Hope to see you back here in a couple days...
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2008, 09:48:33 PM »

Ah, yes. The geeky tendency of this board to obsess over the tiniest minutae has once again served its intended purpose.  I mean, some people mean well, but before pointing out the flaws in someone's work, why not read earlier post where the person specifically acknowledges said flaws and tries to move past them? I can just see if Brian came on here:

Hey everyone. I thought I'd come by and answer some questions. Is that cool with everyone? Groovy. So let's get started!

Brian, when did you record the vocals for Sloop John B.?
Uh, I don't know. Sometime in early 1966, I guess.
Actually, it was 1965. 
Oh. Okay.

Brian, what year was your gorgeous falsetto replaced by a croaky shadow of its former glory?
Um...  1976?
No, we've discussed this at length and believe it was 1975.

Brian, is your marriage to Melinda a sham?
No, I love Melinda, and she loves me.
Wrong again, Brian.

Brian, is it true that Mike Love is an asshole?
Sometimes. Yes, yes he is.
No, Brian. He's not. He's misunderstood, and you're overrated. Go back to the blueboard.

Brian, when was... Brian? Brian? Where'd Brian go?
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »

Ah, yes. The geeky tendency of this board to obsess over the tiniest minutae has once again served its intended purpose.  I mean, some people mean well, but before pointing out the flaws in someone's work, why not read earlier post where the person specifically acknowledges said flaws and tries to move past them? I can just see if Brian came on here:

Hey everyone. I thought I'd come by and answer some questions. Is that cool with everyone? Groovy. So let's get started!

Brian, when did you record the vocals for Sloop John B.?
Uh, I don't know. Sometime in early 1966, I guess.
Actually, it was 1965. 
Oh. Okay.

Brian, what year was your gorgeous falsetto replaced by a croaky shadow of its former glory?
Um...  1976?
No, we've discussed this at length and believe it was 1975.

Brian, is your marriage to Melinda a sham?
No, I love Melinda, and she loves me.
Wrong again, Brian.

Brian, is it true that Mike Love is an furo do burro?
Sometimes. Yes, yes he is.
No, Brian. He's not. He's misunderstood, and you're overrated. Go back to the blueboard.

Brian, when was... Brian? Brian? Where'd Brian go?

Haha! . . . This is a very funny and revealing post.

But as was said earlier, you have to take all views in context.

There's minutiae on the one hand . . . and the bigger picture on the other. And they both do matter. In a perfect world, the meeting of the two in the middle brings major enlightenment to the less informed.

The question, from my perspective is . . . Does lack of knowledge and accuracy in the former lead to flawed perspectives in the latter? I would say yes and no, depending on the info and circumstances (and the writer). The devil can lie in both the details and the larger social context. It all depends on the writer, his/her sources, and his/her abilities to communicate in writing.

Readers (myself included) will make their first-look, knee-jerk observations . . . regardless. But if we can then go beyond that . . . and further dissect the material, we can often come away with something more than we had before.

But yes . . . absolutely . . . mistakes and factual errors (large and small) are a pox on any writer and/or historian. It happens to all of us, regardless of subject matter.

M.

MBE
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2008, 10:28:32 PM »

I too feel bad he is gone, it was so unbelievable that he was even here if only because I never heard him discuss the book with fans. I must stress I don't think Ian meant to offend at all, I certainly think he found value in the book from what he posted.  Perhaps it would have been better to post the info in the Heroes and Villians review thread, but Mr. Gaines wrote a controversial piece that some fans will take issue with. I myself wrote a review of the book which was critical about the music info, but have written a new one in lieu of his open frustration with the errors. I understand and respect his decision to go, and I think he certainly made us all have a new respect for him and a work that has proven to have a lot of insight. I think we all welcome him back if he chooses to post again.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:12:21 AM by MBE » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2008, 10:44:52 PM »

Steven,

since I've never read Heroes & Villains (it wasn't published in my country, I just gave it a quick look on a bookstore during a holiday overseas. I saw the movie, but I try to remember it just for laughs -that Planet of Apes facial hair!) but The love you make was, if not my first Beatle book, the first serious Beatle bio I read, I'd like to take this chance to make some comments/questions about it.

1. I think is a valuable book when it comes to the private lives and inside stuff of the business, especially the stories that Peter Brown brought to it, although it draws heavily from the Hunter Davies and Philip Norman books (you even repeated a mistake of Norman, writing that the original version of The Long and Winding Road, before Spector's involvement, was just Paul with an acoustic guitar)

2. As you wrote on this thread, your field of writing is not music, but I think you did a disservice to Ringo's reputation with the groundless claim that his drums were usually replaced by Paul's. I mean, even today some journalists repeat that non-fact.

3. As I said before, Brown's insight was one of the main assets of the book, though I think  his attitude was basically unethical to a group of people who trusted him (not that such things as ethics matters when it comes to this kind of tell-all books). My question is, why -bordering on hypocrisy- Brown talked at lenght about Brian Epstein's sex life, but didn't say anything about his own. Other sources claim that  not only Brown is gay, but he also had a relationship with Epstein. Can you confirm/deny this? Are you still in touch with Brown?

4. And the last. Why did you try to make the book look -on the introduction and Brown's publicity press- like it was officially sanctioned by The Beatles? George and Paul's disowned it and with reason: to name an example, I can't imagine Harrison endorsing a book which was going to include his affair with Maureen Starkey.

Anyway, I reread several parts of it recently, and I still think it's an entertaining, interesting, if very flawed look at one side of the Beatles' lives

Why in the hell would you bring that up here? This isn't a Beatles board, and serves no purpose other than to further tick the guy off. Nice.

I too feel bad he is gone, it was so unbelievable that he was even here if only because I never heard him discuss the book with fans. I must stress I don't think Ian meant to offend at all, I certainly think he found value in the book from what he posted.  Perhaps it would have been better to post the info in the Heroes and Villians review thread, but Mr. Gaines wrote a controversial piece that some fans will take issue with. I myself worte a review of the book which was critical about the music info,  but have writen a new one in leiu of his open frusteration with the errors. I understand and respect his decision to go, and I think he certainly made us all have a new respect for him and a work that has proven to have a lot of insight. I think we all welome him back if he chooses to post again.

I would too. At the time he was the only one with the balls to  actually paint a true picture of the band, and didn't shy away where others did.Actually, you could probably take the "at the time" part. I mean, I love Peter Carlin's book, but it seemed like he was trying to be too nice in parts.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2008, 11:45:00 PM »

Mr. Gaines -- Your presence here is/has been greatly appreciated.  Ian has been a serious biographer of the groups' history (since 1961) for the last three or so years.  See AGD'S Bellagio site (http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/).   Not knowing him personally but...knowing him...I am POSITIVE he wasn't trying to 'correct you', per se.  He was just doing what he's done for a long time now. 

Please don't think it was an attack on you or the book.  Or the info in the book. 

Hope to see you back here in a couple days...

I second that, and would add that I don't think anyone sees the book as having error-issues, unless maybe the author himself, to his credit. Andrew had even spoken to its basic accuracy recently, and it's withstood twenty-two years of additional research extremely well, especially for a book of that scope.

This is especially frustrating for me, because this book is a GREAT topic for this place, and (surprisingly) one of the few things that hasn't (to my knowledge) already been beaten to death by four generations of posters.

TO give you an idea of what was in play here, think of this: in the Fall of 1961 Murry and Audree went to Mexico for the weekend with an English business associate of A.B.L.E. Machinery, and returned to find that the Beach Boys had been born out of the meal money they left. The English guy apparently came into the house with them and witnessed that moment and heard them play "Surfin' ".  Steven Gaines talked to the English guy.

There also won't be any more fresh interviews with Gary Usher, Roger Christian, Mae or Irving Rovell, Audree, any of Murry's siblings, Fred Vail (?), Nik Venet...Dave Marks' parents...Shawn Love, Karen Lamm, (are any on that list living?).

This guy talked to an absolutely stunning list of people and his research can never be duplicated.  He had even expressed an openness to possibly posting selected audio excerpts for us.

He was not here shilling a new edition. He was just fielding questions from us.  I was working up to asking some slightly tougher or more subjective ones, but in light of recent developments I am considering changing that approach and openly kissing his ass.

In all seriousness, and I hope you're reading this, I think we'd be willing to have the discussion of Heroes & Villains on whatever basis you're comfortable with- though now you know you're among obsessives. And if you don't feel inclined to leap back into the ring with us, I'd like to propose that you consider being available to Endless Summer Quarterly or some other publication like that, because there is extremely high interest in your work.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2008, 01:15:49 AM »

Well said.

It was a rare and fascinating window of opportunity that we all had (and hopefully may
have again someday) to hear unique anecdotes and insights, and clearly the requisite
tactfulness was not shown.

I was looking forward to hearing his response to having his work plagiarized, and his
recollections (maybe even recordings) of irreplaceable interview subjects. I'm sure no harm was meant by Ian (his research is commendable and as
he said, his date corrections were not meant as criticism), but the effect was predictable
and understandable.

Let's all learn from this and be more courteous and less obsessively detail-oriented and
nitpicky if similar situations should arise again!

Shane! Come back!

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
MBE
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2008, 02:15:33 AM »

Well said.

It was a rare and fascinating window of opportunity that we all had (and hopefully may
have again someday) to hear unique anecdotes and insights, and clearly the requisite
tactfulness was not shown.

I was looking forward to hearing his response to having his work plagiarized, and his
recollections (maybe even recordings) of irreplaceable interview subjects. I'm sure no harm was meant by Ian (his research is commendable and as
he said, his date corrections were not meant as criticism), but the effect was predictable
and understandable.

Let's all learn from this and be more courteous and less obsessively detail-oriented and
nitpicky if similar situations should arise again!

Shane! Come back!

We could have done the same thing to Peter Carlin with errors and we didn't do it to him. Which was good because it was very interesting when he was here too. Again Ian wasn't trying to upset anyone, but it's just unfortunate.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:17:15 AM by MBE » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2008, 02:32:14 AM »

There also won't be any more fresh interviews with Gary Usher, Roger Christian, Mae or Irving Rovell, Audree, any of Murry's siblings, Fred Vail (?), Nik Venet...Dave Marks' parents...Shawn Love, Karen Lamm, (are any on that list living?).

Unless I have missed something I'm pretty sure Fred Vail is still alive.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2008, 02:33:03 AM »

Shane! Come back!

umm.. who's Shane?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2008, 06:04:35 AM »

See George Stevens' classic SHANE (1953) starring Alan Ladd. "mutedtrumpeterswan" is feeling the little boy's heartbreak at the end of that film.
Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2008, 06:14:23 AM »

I Feel Very Old
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2008, 06:20:02 AM »

Oh thanks for that. I thought mutedtrumpeterswan was calling Steven "Shane"...
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2008, 08:14:14 AM »

Certainly hope you're right.  I was most unsure of that one, hence the question mark.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2008, 09:36:59 PM »

Certainly hope you're right.  I was most unsure of that one, hence the question mark.
I swear I saw Vail in Billy Hinsche's doc about Dennis.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2008, 09:54:58 PM »

Fred was certainly very much alive a few weeks ago. That or they've got email in heaven.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
holeypeacoat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2008, 01:31:24 PM »

he's very alive.  i see him around town all the time.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2008, 02:50:06 PM »

Dave Marks' mom is still with us too.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2008, 03:18:31 AM »

I'm a bit flabbergasted that Steven is, in the Eagles' words, 'Already Gone'. That is sad. And it wasn't necessary. I for one, if I'd have a list of potential errors in my head, would've kept it to a PM at best. If I'd have thought that those errors were important in the first place, that is.
Writing is a most difficult process and even with others who do sort of a post-editing job, things can go unnoticed.
For me, the book is so valuable because at the time (1986?) it was the very first description how Denny spent his last days. Up to that point, I only knew that he drowned at the spot where supposedly keepsakes and stuff from the 'Harmony' had sunk.

Can I ask mr. Gaines politely to reconsider? Yes, I can.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2008, 08:59:52 PM »

When did Shawn Love and Karen Lamm die?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2008, 09:50:43 PM »

When did Shawn Love and Karen Lamm die?

Karen Lamm - July 2001
Shawn Love - September 2003
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2008, 08:38:52 AM »

COMMENT:  Fred Vail is still active at Treasure Island Studios.  You can read his Bio by going to the below sight, click on "about us" and then "Fred Vail."   I spoke with him only a few months ago.  Great guy!    ~swd

Treasure Island Studios >>> [ http://www.treasureislenashville.com/ ]
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx