gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680776 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 03:16:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: whiskey a go go  (Read 5679 times)
michael
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2006, 01:09:50 PM »

I was just listening to this live disc.Horrible acoustics but very historical,question who is singing lead on John Barleycorn and who is playng the flute?And the first few cuts by the Flame,were any of the Beach Boys playing back up?
 Aloha,
 Michael
Jason
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 01:28:51 PM »

That's The Flame. The Flame opened and closed this set of four shows at the Whisky-A-Go-Go.
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 02:04:09 PM »

What is the background on this?  Sorry, but not a BB scholar here. BBs on stage with Jum Morrison and/or traffic perhaps?
michael
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 04:11:24 PM »

Well that makes sense.I didn't realize the Flame open and closed too.Any chance that was Charles Lloyd on flute?
Jason
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 04:15:05 PM »

Charles Lloyd didn't come on until the 15 Big Ones period.

The Beach Boys played a four show run at the Whisky-A-Go-Go in Los Angeles in August 1970, I believe it was. Carl had just discovered The Flame and produced their first album for Brother Records. He asked The Flame to open and close for the band and these were the shows for which The Flame opened.

The Flame songs on this tape are as follows -

Beginning Set
I'm So Happy
See The Light
Gimme Shelter

Ending Set
Johnny B. Goode (with the BBs)
I've Got A Feeling
John Barleycorn Must Die
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 05:10:32 PM »

Didn't Chuck Lloyd play of Surf's Up LP?  Or are you saying live.

That must have been a neat way to see the Beach Boys.  It's such a classic venue.  Only driven by, never been in.
zyzzyballuba
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 01:30:55 AM »

the Lloyd association goes back as far as an extensive Mike/Al/Carl/whoever appearance on his Warm Waters LP in 1971.  that's him on Feel Flows, no?  then he's all over Holland.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 01:37:32 AM »

Really ? Then who's playing flute on "Feel Flows", then ?  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 05:07:23 AM »

"Charles Lloyd didn't come on until the 15 Big Ones period."

I wish you wouldn't be so authoritative, especially when you're wrong.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 05:23:38 AM »

The Beach Boys played a four show run at the Whisky-A-Go-Go in Los Angeles in August 1970, I believe it was. Carl had just discovered The Flame and produced their first album for Brother Records. He asked The Flame to open and close for the band and these were the shows for which The Flame opened.

The Flame songs on this tape are as follows -

Beginning Set
I'm So Happy
See The Light
Gimme Shelter

Ending Set
Johnny B. Goode (with the BBs)
I've Got A Feeling
John Barleycorn Must Die

The Whiskey gigs, as is well known, were November 4-7th.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 06:24:33 PM »

They were some of the finest shows I've ever had the pleasure to hear live.  Man I am getting so old.
Jason
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 06:26:58 PM »

The Whiskey gigs, as is well known, were November 4-7th.

Thanks for the clarification, Andrew.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 08:47:31 PM »

It's a virtual certainty that the flute playing at the Whisky gig is Ricky (Fataar).
He also played flute live with the Boys ("Caroline, No" and the intro to "Sloop John B."  Also
a nice little improved (as in "improvational", not "improved") version of "Heart and Soul").
As well as pedal steel ("Calfornia Saga", "Marcella", and "We Got Love" after Blondie's departure).

FYI, just saw Ricky (on drums) with Bonnie Raitt a couple months ago.  Great band, great drummer.

FYI, Charles Lloyd played the Boston Commons with the Boys in Aug. '72...only he played maracas, having not brought his flute or sax with him.

C-Man
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2006, 02:14:26 AM »

It's a virtual certainty that the flute playing at the Whisky gig is Ricky (Fataar).
He also played flute live with the Boys ("Caroline, No" and the intro to "Sloop John B."  Also
a nice little improved (as in "improvational", not "improved") version of "Heart and Soul").
As well as pedal steel ("Calfornia Saga", "Marcella", and "We Got Love" after Blondie's departure).

A Friend of mine who is a Flames-collector asked me to forward this.

Klaas Jelle

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve once read a review of a Flame-concert in London during which Ricky did play flute, so probably he did at the Whiskey-a-go-go as well.

And finally: the last song they played was a rewritten version of “John Barleycorn Must Die”. As the lyrics tell about the Flame’s arrival in America, I tend to call it “The Ballad Of The Flames”. The larger part of the lyrics are already known, but due to the quality of the tape I own some words aren’t clear yet. So if you feel challenged to complete the lyrics please visit www.the-flames.com an then go to “Live Flames” under the menu. Or surf directly to: http://home.planet.nl/~molle565/docs/live.htm

greetings, Bas

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx