gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:54:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Beach Boys In Concert
5 - 47 (51.6%)
4 - 37 (40.7%)
3 - 5 (5.5%)
2 - 1 (1.1%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 1 (1.1%)
Total Voters: 81

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys In Concert  (Read 63605 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2006, 02:27:07 AM »

Carl and the band made Heroes and Villians rock bigtime.  It's nothing short of amazing.
Sold pretty well, and I see why!

Dan

Yeah.  I'm ignorant...was Denny the drummer on this album?  ... whoever the drummer was eats up the little breakdown before the fadeout, sounds awesome.  The drum break into "LA LA LA LA!!! LA LA LA LA LA!!!" is great, too.  Drums really push this song along.

Al's "Help Me Rhonda" and especially "You Still Believe In Me" are some of the coolest bb's stuff ever. 

edit: Sorry, just noticed the last half of this thread was all about answering my drummer question, lol.  I'm no pro but I think the drums at least on h&v sound kick-ass and it works in at least that one songs' content. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 02:31:17 AM by Ron » Logged
drlandy
Smiley Smile Associate

HONKIN' DOWN THE HIGHWAY

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2006, 01:07:09 PM »

Yeah, it's great. I just wish Leaving This Town and Funky Pretty weren't included.
Sorry but LTT is one of my favorites, especially the ecstatic organ solo. I prefer this version to the original one from Holland.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2007, 04:05:01 PM »

One of my top favorite Beach Boys albums EVER! We Got Love is really catchy (to me), REALLY great renditions of all the songs (I would prefer the standard version of Help Me Rhonda myself, but I guess it wouldnt fit the setlist). But MARCELLA blows me away everytime I listen to it on this one. I was humming the guitar solo in my head while I was out today and caught my self whistling it. Although I agree there should be some Denny tunes, it's still a great album "5" hands down.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 11:56:16 AM »

I wish Surf's Up, Wonderbill, Long Promised Road, Only With You, River Song and even Jumpin' Jack Flash had made hte cut instead of some of the other stuff here.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2007, 11:02:34 PM »

I wish Surf's Up, Wonderbill, Long Promised Road, Only With You, River Song and even Jumpin' Jack Flash had made hte cut instead of some of the other stuff here.

I read that the released version of In Concert was their second submission.  Anyone know what tracks were on the first version?  Any of the above?   
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2007, 12:22:50 AM »

I read that the released version of In Concert was their second submission.  Anyone know what tracks were on the first version?  Any of the above?   

I hope Andrew doesn't mind citing from his highly informative webpage:
http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/unreleased.html

The Beach Boys In Concert (single album)
projected release date fall 1973
Recorded summer 1972-spring 1973
Produced by the Beach Boys
Wouldn't It Be Nice - Leavin' This Town -Heroes & Villains - Marcella - You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone: Let The Wind Blow - Do It Again - Wild Honey - Fun, Fun, Fun - Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Once again, The Beach Boys had an album rejected by Reprise, although most fans would find the above listing highly listenable. It's unclear if all the six titles that made the transition to the released version are the same recordings, but according to the liners of Endless Harmony, the recording of "Heroes & Villains" on that compilation is from the single album configuration, and different to the track on In Concert.
Possibility of release: probably only as part of a hypothetical live box set.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2007, 07:58:56 PM »

Thanks for the link! 

So is there a good soundboard recording of River Song in circulation?  Any comments on how it came off live?  Would really like to hear it...

« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 05:49:41 PM by NightHider » Logged
pendletone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2007, 12:40:12 PM »

Yeah, it's great. I just wish Leaving This Town and Funky Pretty weren't included.
Sorry but LTT is one of my favorites, especially the ecstatic organ solo. I prefer this version to the original one from Holland.

Yes, I also think this version of LTT is amazing! And Trader just blew my mind... love the harmonies on that one!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »

Excellent! Only problem is that there are no Dennis songs.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2008, 09:59:25 AM »

This album is so great. It makes me wish I were alive in the 70s. The band on this album is so great. The first time I saw the Beach Boys in concert was in 2006 in a bar on the boardwalk at 6 AM. They played California Girls three times and Kokomo twice and the rarest song was Surfin' Safari. Someone shouted "BOO, YOU GUYS SUCK! BRING BACK THE JIMMY BUFFET TRIBUTE BAND!" Scott Totten grabbed a girl from the audience and put in her in between him and his guitar and grinded against her while playing a solo. Carl had been dead for eight and a half years.

Why couldn't I have seen the Beach Boys in 1973? This album is AMAZING. I wish they had included Steamboat or something, but this is a five star album all the way.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
nobody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

You know ... I almost like "You Still Believe In Me" on here better than Pet Sounds.

Al's voice is AMAZING. Pretty much always, actually. Al never disappoints with his voice. He reminds me of Gram Parsons, that kind of voice here.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2009, 12:14:16 PM »

Yeah, this is a great listen, a side to the band most people don't get to hear. I'll give it a four.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2009, 01:11:42 PM »

I just listened to this for the first time in a LONG time--probably 2-3 years--while driving to my family Christmas celebration. It's awfully good, and while they weren't playing original arrangements, etc., it is really great evidence that the Beach Boys could really perform wonderfully. I know people here don't need the reminder, but this album would do well with the public at large to fight the "Brian's music deserves the respect and care that only his band can give" line that the BW camp has put out the past 10 years or so. They were a great band, with this era being one of my favorites (live and on record).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 10:32:47 PM »

The version of "Don't Worry, Baby" on here is easily more gorgeous than the regular version.
There, I said it.
I mean, Al and Carl practically weep the song out.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:42:44 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
ukulelejesus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »

This album taught me how great Carl's voice really was.

Over and over the crow cries uncover the lifehouse lifehouse lifehouse
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »

I freakin' LOVE this album. The band are smoking. The only way you could improve it is if you chucked Help Me Rhonda in favour of a Dennis tune...

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »

Hell no, man! Rhonda is one of the best songs on "In Concert". Are you kidding me? That thing cooks! One of the best guitar solos I've ever heard anywhere on any Beach Boys album! Is that Carl, Blondie, or Ed Carter playing that? I think it's Ed.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »

Speaking of "cooks", I think Heroes & Villains fits that bill, as well. After the original, this is the best version of that song that I have ever heard. Great tempo for a live version. It flat out rocks. I still regard In Concert as their best live released album.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:36:32 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »

Amen. Sure miss Carl. While his writing skills were admittedly limited, his singing voice and his ability to perform live are what made the Brian-less Beach Boys shows still enjoyable. He was quite the musical workhorse and quite a perfectionist. Sort of like another deceased "brother", Maurice Gibb. Carl and Maurice were so much alike in their roles and talents.

I'll always love Carl for him firing Ernie Knapp after he rejoined the BBs in '82.

Who is Ernie Knapp ? I'm glad he fired Adrian Baker, too....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 06:38:10 AM »

My Favorite of ALL the Beach Boys albums!!
And "Let The Wind Blow"...if this song doesn't send shivers up your spine,well...you just ain't Human!!  Carls BEST vocal ever.

Totally with you on this one - it is such a good performance by Carl. There is so much soul in his voice here!

Does anyone know if there are any videos available of this gig?
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »

Probably some in private collections ... Dennis, Billy H and Ed Roach all made homes movies (albeit silent footage) during these early 70's tours, but you can see some additional pictures over at my album covers site ...
http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/1973-la-show/4532469771 is the page you need ...  Smokin

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 03:13:56 PM »

Probably some in private collections ... Dennis, Billy H and Ed Roach all made homes movies (albeit silent footage) during these early 70's tours, but you can see some additional pictures over at my album covers site ...
http://www.pipeline-operaglass.moonfruit.com/#/1973-la-show/4532469771 is the page you need ...  Smokin

Thanks! There really should be more Beach Boys gems on the internet and on youtube! There are plenty of mainstream, repetitive videos around but as far as I know there are few good live vids, very little behind the scenes footage and generally not enough of Carl!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »

Man oh man, I got a really nice pair of Sennheiser headphones for Christmas and even though I have listened to this album a bunch, it sounds so much better. You can really hear the great bass playing. In Sloop John B someone is playing some nice country rock licks on the guitar. Man, I wish I was around to see them during this period.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »

Man oh man, I got a really nice pair of Sennheiser headphones for Christmas and even though I have listened to this album a bunch, it sounds so much better. You can really hear the great bass playing. In Sloop John B someone is playing some nice country rock licks on the guitar. Man, I wish I was around to see them during this period.
I saw them 4 times from early 72 to late 74. Fantastic! The first time with Bruce, Blondie & Ricky. The next two with Blondie & Ricky and the last one with Ricky. The shows were all excellent. It was great time to be a fan for many reasons. This was the time when they were beginning to get popular again here in the U.S.. Those live shows were truly exciting and fun affairs. They rocked the house.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Michael Edwards Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 05:01:27 PM »

I just picked this one up and am enjoying it immensely.  I bought the 1991 Epic CD and am now wondering if I should pick up the 2000 Capitol remaster?  Can anyone advise as to whether or not the 2000 release is an improvement on the prior one in any way?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx