gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680844 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 08:37:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Will Wild Honey Ever Be Given A Stereo Mix  (Read 13390 times)
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »

But please, stop with those stereo remixes. Please let me wonder + Then I kiss her in stereo also fail to recapture the original magic.

I must be in the minority, because I like the stereo mixes for both of those songs, perhaps even better than the mono versions.

I'm with you.
HoneyBee
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 09:12:31 PM »

I'm not bashing the remixers, but for me it's like repainting Mona Lisa with 3D effect, removing one eye and then sell it as Leonardo da Vinci's work. Combining two instruments on one channel creates a special sound, just a small separation creates another sound. Let the bees make honey organ missing, that's one eye. The contrasts, expressions of the mono mix are part of the song's identity and in this case not reproducible.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 10:01:37 PM »

I'm not bashing the remixers, but for me it's like repainting Mona Lisa with 3D effect, removing one eye and then sell it as Leonardo da Vinci's work.

It's not at all like that since those responsible for the remixes have taken pains to explain that they are by no means trying to pass the remixes off as Brian's work.

Combining two instruments on one channel creates a special sound, just a small separation creates another sound.

Exactly.

Let the bees make honey organ missing, that's one eye.

If you miss the organ, listen to the original mono.

The contrasts, expressions of the mono mix are part of the song's identity and in this case not reproducible.

I disagree.  Those contrasts and expressions you mention are not part of the song's identity but rather part of the identity of the production peculiar to the original Wild Honey LP mix.  For instance, there are several highly-praised live recordings of "Let The Wind Blow" that lots of fans would take over the LP version.  Is performing a song live taking away an "eye"?  Would a recording of Brian simply singing the song with his own piano accompaniment be an abomination to your ears?

I don't understand the sacrosanct exclusivity that you require.  It would be another matter if the original mono masters were burned and listening to the original mixes were prohibited by law, but they're still there--in print, at your local record store, and presumably nobody's forcing you to listen to the stereo remixes at gunpoint.

So why complain?

HoneyBee
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 06:06:38 AM »

I know what you mean aeijtzsche and I also enjoy listening to new stereo remixes of products in process.
This was meant in context of the complete Wild Honey album. I buy an album and then want to hear the untouched message the artists wanted the listener to hear. A recording is more than just a song, it's art. Good Vibrations is still a great song performed on Banjo, no question.
I'm sure most people don't care for such details, just my unchangeable view. Smiley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 08:36:35 AM »

I'm not bashing the remixers, but for me it's like repainting Mona Lisa with 3D effect, removing one eye and then sell it as Leonardo da Vinci's work.
That would be a cover.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »

When Pet Sounds was remixed into stereo, this groundbreaking music was heard in a new and wonderful way.....people complained.

When a few key BB songs made their stereo debuts on some well compiled, uh, compilations new light was shed on the workings of these old favorites....people complained.

When the Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack came out with those much needed remixes, some of us stereo fanatics hollered out for more (and still do)..........people complained.

"That's not how I remember it growing up!"    "They ruined the feel of the songs!"  "There's too much reverb!"    "There are instruments missing!"    and on and on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with anyone making observations about remixes.  Heck, I've got a few myself, but they are so minor, they don't ruin my appreciation of what I'm listening to.  I just get a little rattled when some folks seem to imply that the engineer messed up.  Believe me, he knows what he's doing. 

And if these new mixes don't do it for you, like Josh said, nobody's forcing you to buy them. 
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2008, 10:28:14 PM »

I've often seen these two boots claiming to be "stereo" - does anybody know the story??

Link to "stereo" Wild Honey: http://asia.geocities.com/nikjo1818/beach-honey.htm

Link tp "stereo" Smiley Smile: http://asia.geocities.com/nikjo1818/beach-smile.htm
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2008, 11:04:52 PM »

Hmmm.  Never seen those before.  Keep in mind that these two albums were originally marked on the album cover and labels as "stereo", even though they were reprocessed.  I'm wondering if these are simply those fake stereo versions.  The ad mentions it as originally being available as an open reel tape, which would have been the fake stereo version as well.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2008, 06:33:10 AM »

When Pet Sounds was remixed into stereo, this groundbreaking music was heard in a new and wonderful way.....people complained.

When a few key BB songs made their stereo debuts on some well compiled, uh, compilations new light was shed on the workings of these old favorites....people complained.

When the Beatles Yellow Submarine Songtrack came out with those much needed remixes, some of us stereo fanatics hollered out for more (and still do)..........people complained.

"That's not how I remember it growing up!"    "They ruined the feel of the songs!"  "There's too much reverb!"    "There are instruments missing!"    and on and on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with anyone making observations about remixes.  Heck, I've got a few myself, but they are so minor, they don't ruin my appreciation of what I'm listening to.  I just get a little rattled when some folks seem to imply that the engineer messed up.  Believe me, he knows what he's doing. 

And if these new mixes don't do it for you, like Josh said, nobody's forcing you to buy them. 

Hit the nail on the head there.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2008, 06:39:57 AM »

Hmmm.  Never seen those before.  Keep in mind that these two albums were originally marked on the album cover and labels as "stereo", even though they were reprocessed.  I'm wondering if these are simply those fake stereo versions.  The ad mentions it as originally being available as an open reel tape, which would have been the fake stereo version as well.

Yes, these are the "fake stereo" versions that were originally released on LP along with the mono versions.  I believe these were "electronically reprocessed" instead of duophonic - if I remember correctly, duophonic involved one channel having delay/reverb while reprocessed was simply directing the low frequencies (bass) to one channel and high frequencies (treble) to the other.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2009, 12:02:28 PM »

Hey, I didn't find an answer in this thread, if an answer is somewhere else please post the link.
Is it possible to remix WH into stereo without losing too much of the original tracks?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 12:39:32 PM »

Broadly speaking, yes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »

I hope this will never happen. Wild Honey is one of my favorite BB records, but compare the stereo remix of Let the wind blow to the mono album version. There's an organ part missing or buried deep in the mix so the original effect isn't there anymore, Carl's vocals are way too loud, the dynamics of the original creation are destroyed. It's rewriting history and not even in a good sense. They obviously put a lot of effort in mixing back in 1967 and it shows. The one thing I would love to hear is the original mix without the technical noises, for example in Country Air or the fade of I'd Love Just Once To See You. But please, stop with those stereo remixes. Please let me wonder + Then I kiss her in stereo also fail to recapture the original magic.

HoneyBee, I understand your view but if you don't like them you aren't forced to buy it or listen to it (if it's on a set like Hawthorne, CA). I do agree with you that some of the stereo mixes fail to reproduce that magic in the original mixes (as I said before Please Let Me Wonder is one of the main ones that I prefer the mono version by a LONG way - not even close) but I still find them interesting listening experiences and of course if I don't like them then I just listen to the original. Easy.

I also perfer the mono mix of "All I Want To Do"...omg it sounds killer in mono! So much raw energy!!!

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »

I'd go beyond the stereo and put in a call for more 5.1 mixes. If it can be done with Pet Sounds, then can it not be done for most if not all post-PS releases? I love the Pet Sounds 5.1 and even Imagination comes alive in that format.
As the author of 3 or 4 sparsely-commented on "Beach Boys in 5.1" threads on this here board, I agree with you. I would love to hear more Beach Boys / BW mixed in surround. I love the differences between the Imagination surround mix and the original stereo mix.

Unfortunately, it's not something we're going to see any time soon, at least not on legitimate releases. Surf's Up was scheduled to be released as a DVD-Audio at one point, not to be confused with the "Surf's Up" compilation released circa 2005.

Luckily, there are 5.1 mixes of albums like Surf's Up floating around out there, and they're pretty well done for being unofficial and existing only in my imagination.

b00ts

- B00ts
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »

I also perfer the mono mix of "All I Want To Do"...omg it sounds killer in mono! So much raw energy!!!

Strictly speaking, there is no mono mix of "All I Want To Do" - the 'mono' 20/20 released in the UK isn't a pukka mono mix but a simple fold-down of the stereo mix. That is to say, no-one mixed the master in mono from the original 8-tracks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2009, 01:35:15 PM »

Beach Boys songs remixed in stereo can be hit or miss, but it's always nice to have them available.  I love Brian's original mono mixes, but on albums like Wild Honey, they can be quite muddy.  Stereo mixes bring out more of the details that are lost in mono mixes, details which are usually really cool to hear. 

I say bring them on whenever technically possible.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2009, 01:39:34 PM »

Pukka?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2009, 02:12:13 PM »

Genuine, authentic, proper, etc.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »

Ahh...okay LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2009, 06:08:40 AM »

Broadly speaking, yes.

That's good. But since the album is so short I guess if there ever will be a release of the whole album it has to be maybe the mono version plus the stereo mix and session outtakes. I'd love that.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
LittleSurferGirl
Smiley Smile Associate

.Got To Know The Woman.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2009, 12:10:11 PM »

Strictly speaking, there is no mono mix of "All I Want To Do" - the 'mono' 20/20 released in the UK isn't a pukka mono mix but a simple fold-down of the stereo mix. That is to say, no-one mixed the master in mono from the original 8-tracks.

Thanks I didnt know that!

"And If you knew how much I love you baby, Nothing could go wrong with you"

www.myspace.com/beachboys4ever [my Beach Boys fanpage]
www.myspace.com/foxybritny [personal page]
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »

Thanks I didnt know that!

You understood that, it's like french to me..

Wish I could talk music  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2011, 12:10:18 PM »

Tunestony has just posted the following at the Hoffman board:

Quote from: tunestony;7020149
I've heard that version - and it IS that good.  There's an emotional quality to it that was missing in his earlier piano demo.

Also, my interview with Mark Linett sheds a little light on where that version came from.  Apparently, while working on the first-ever stereo mix of Wild Honey, they found a few run-throughs of "Surf's Up" with just Brian and a piano, AFTER Smile had been aborted.

Tony

I think he posts here. If so, Tunestony - any further info on the above?!!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »

he'll be posting his Linett interview soonish, he mentioned it in another thread.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »

I just made a thread about this but let's use this one because I made this one too

I'm so happy!!!  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx