gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:51:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Who  (Read 39128 times)
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2008, 03:21:56 PM »

Here's a band that i was never into...until recently. I don't know why i never gave them a chance when i was younger, but i'm glad i did now. I can't stop listening to The Who Sell Out and Who's Next, (both completely different albums, but equally brilliant). To my ears, they were way ahead of their time and made some of the most fresh and exciting music of their generation. Watching old clips of Pete trashing his guitar into amps and Keith Moon exploding his drum set makes me wish i was around back then. I'm looking forward to delving further into their catalogue. Any other Who fans out there?
MBE
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 07:57:42 PM »

I am and they really do have some great stuff. I recomend the 2 LP version of My Generation that had the original LP plus a whole album of bonus cuts. Who's Next recently got a 3 LP treatment with outakes and a nice concert. My favorite album is A Quick One. I really like them in their pre Tommy period best, though I think the only album with Moon that was less then stellar was Who Are You. Scoop volume one by Pete Towshend is demos from 64-84 and many of them great.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 11:21:50 PM »

Where ya been, man?  I  had Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy when I was eight years old and have loved these guys for about as long as I can remember.  When I was in high school- the Kenny Jones era- I was totally obsessed. My three big groups from childhood onward have been the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Who. The Kinks, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Sinatra, and many others got on board as I went along...

Now you need to own everything- everything Moon played on.  I'm tempted to suggest the box set, but maybe go for the deluxe Live At Leeds and Tommy, if you haven't already.  Then Odds and Sods to add a little spice to the mix, and then hold your breath and dive into Quadrophenia. Their BBC set is great.  The Kids Are Alright soundtrack is a must.  It's all a must.

It's tragic anytime anyone waits later than high school to discover Quadrophenia- I'm not sure it can have its full impact on you when you're older.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 07:46:33 PM by Surfer Joe » Logged

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:00:49 AM »

This is respectfully dedicated to bonnie and horse: :=)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DWaX9kK6TE

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
KDS
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 01:38:22 PM »

Where ya been, man?  I  had Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy when I was eight years old and have loved these guys for about as long as I can remember.  When I was in high school- the Kenny Jones era- I was totally obsessed. My three big groups from childhood onward have been the Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Who. The Kinks, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Sinatra, and many others got on board as I went along...

Now you need to own everything- everything Moon played on.  I'm tempted to suggest the box set, but maybe go for the deluxe Live At Leeds and Tommy, if you haven't already.  Then Odds and Sods to add a little spice to the mix, and then hold your breath and dive into Quadrophenia. Their BBC set is great.  The Kids Are Alright soundtrack is a must.  It's all a must.

It's tragic anytime anyone waits later than high school to discover Quadrophenia- I'm not sure it can have its full impact on you when you're older.

I first listened to Quadrophenia at 19, and didn't really immerse myself in it until 22.  But, I was still dealing with a lot of high school eqsue social stuff at my job at the time, so Quadrophenia rang true, especially Jimmy escaping to Brighton to try to recapture something he'd lost.  I had similar experiences a couple of times in my 20s, driving by myself to my local seaside town, while cranking the Quadrophenia album.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 02:50:12 AM »

I must have left Quadrophenia too late. I tried it a few years back after seeing a documentary about it but it didn't make much of an impression. Maybe Surfer Joe's right...

The Who made some fantastic singles! As for albums, my favourites are The Who Sell Out and Who's Next.

I only came to appreciate Tommy once I'd chopped out a bunch of stuff and made a single LP of it. Grin 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 11:35:22 AM »

The greatest rock 'n' roll band of all-time.
KDS
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »

I got to see The Who perform Quadrophenia in 2012 (with John and Keith guesting via the video board).  Amazing.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »

The Who are, simply stated, the greatest Rock&Roll on earth. I was able to meet Roger, Pete and John through the Make-A-Wish Foundation in 1996. The pictures of me with them are on my Facebook page.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2017, 08:49:05 PM »

My favorite non BeachBoys music is an even split between The Who and Little Feat. Any Who fans should have Quadraphenia and Tommy.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 07:04:50 AM »

There's album Hollywood Dream by Thunderclap Newman, iirc the Who's road manager. It's well-crafted, maybe not well-sung but it weirdly sounds good with those arrangements, melodies etc.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 07:11:26 AM »

There's album Hollywood Dream by Thunderclap Newman, iirc the Who's road manager. It's well-crafted, maybe not well-sung but it weirdly sounds good with those arrangements, melodies etc.

Yes, that's a good one. I listened to the whole thing a short while back. Highly original!

KDS
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 07:36:27 AM »

My favorite non BeachBoys music is an even split between The Who and Little Feat. Any Who fans should have Quadraphenia and Tommy.

And Who's Next. What a trio of back to back to back albums
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 09:43:28 AM »

Quadrophenia is incredible, but I don't listen to the studio Tommy at all. I think that one only came alive when performed live - see the Leeds concert, the Isle of Wight one etc. Who's Next is great but it should've been a double as originally intended. Too many great songs were left out. My favorite Who album besides Quad and the live stuff is The Who by Numbers. And all the early non-album singles are great as well.
KDS
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 10:10:39 AM »

Quadrophenia is incredible, but I don't listen to the studio Tommy at all. I think that one only came alive when performed live - see the Leeds concert, the Isle of Wight one etc. Who's Next is great but it should've been a double as originally intended. Too many great songs were left out. My favorite Who album besides Quad and the live stuff is The Who by Numbers. And all the early non-album singles are great as well.

I agree that the early 70s live versions of Tommy blow the studio version away.  That was when The Who were really becoming a premiere hard rock powerhouse, which translated on their early 70s studio output. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 03:30:06 AM »

I saw The Who twice in their original lineup, once in London some time in 1973 and then in Rotterdam on October 27, 1975. A curious fact is that a song performed on that latter occasion called "The Day I Gave Up Booze" (famous last words!), sung by Townshend accompanying himself on acoustic guitar, is only mentioned once on the internet----by me! Was it "However Much I Booze" with new lyrics? After listening to "HMIB" on Youtube, it doesn't seem likely. (See here for more information on The Who's 1975 tour.)

"You'll note that Mr Moon hasn't joined me in my venture", Pete added after introducing the song, and to be sure, Mr Moon didn't give the impression that he had. LOL

It would be great to have all this confirmed by someone, somewhere, but I fear the chances of that are fairly slim...

KDS
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 05:52:46 AM »

I saw The Who twice in their original lineup, once in London some time in 1973 and then in Rotterdam on October 27, 1975. A curious fact is that a song performed on that latter occasion called "The Day I Gave Up Booze" (famous last words!), sung by Townshend accompanying himself on acoustic guitar, is only mentioned once on the internet----by me! Was it "However Much I Booze" with new lyrics? After listening to "HMIB" on Youtube, it doesn't seem likely. (See here for more information on The Who's 1975 tour.)

"You'll note that Mr Moon hasn't joined me in my venture", Pete added after introducing the song, and to be sure, Mr Moon didn't give the impression that he had. LOL

It would be great to have all this confirmed by someone, somewhere, but I fear the chances of that are fairly slim...

You quite lucky.  Unfortunately, Keith died two years to the day before I was born. 

I was fortunate enough to see them with John once before he passed, in 2000. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 09:23:41 PM »

You were very lucky! Unfortunately, your memory is a bit off. Pete often introduced HMIB by saying that he wrote it "the night I gave up drinking". Pete didn't start playing acoustic guitar on stage until 1989, except a one off appearance in 1970.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 11:50:12 PM »

It's strange; although the Who are ranked in the upper echelon of British Invasion bands, they don't seem to have the elite status of the Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. Personally, I prefer them to any of those bands - and I only have a couple of their albums! I know, I know...where have I been? But their best work is right up there with the best of the best IMO. Just got a copy of Who's Next recently, and it is definitely a classic. There's a reason they had a tough time continuing after Moon died; his drumming would have been totally wrong for, say, the Kinks, or the Beatles, would have just sounded like some crazy guy trying to attract attention to his playing, but it works perfectly in Pete's songs. And I like how so many times Pete has that acoustic rhythm in the bed of the track. They had a totally unique sound. The only knock against them I can see is that their catalog is rather small compared to the Kinks or the Stones (the only British Invasion bands of similar longevity I can think of). They've got more comps than studio albums.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 02:26:45 AM »

You were very lucky! Unfortunately, your memory is a bit off. Pete often introduced HMIB by saying that he wrote it "the night I gave up drinking". Pete didn't start playing acoustic guitar on stage until 1989, except a one off appearance in 1970.

H'mm. I bow to your greater knowledge (seriously!). But. I'll only concede 100% when I hear it from someone who was there. Grin

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:41 AM »

H'mm. I bow to your greater knowledge (seriously!). But. I'll only concede 100% when I hear it from someone who was there. Grin
It's You that needs bowed down to! You saw the original Quadrophenia tour! I'd love to pick your brain about it.  LOL Regarding the 1975 Rotterdam show, there is an actual recording of the concert. I haven't heard it though. It is circulating among fans, so you might be able to track it down.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 03:37:29 AM »

It's You that needs bowed down to! You saw the original Quadrophenia tour! I'd love to pick your brain about it.  LOL Regarding the 1975 Rotterdam show, there is an actual recording of the concert. I haven't heard it though. It is circulating among fans, so you might be able to track it down.

In a way it's a pity I wasn't familiar with Quadrophenia at the time (or even now). But I do remember Townshend announcing that the hero attended a concert by a band and that band was "the 'oo"! And that Moon sang and played timps on one track...

But the "booze" issue is now resolved. This is from the same tour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrOFbqn_-sA

I remember he made a "little speech" in Rotterdam. I evidently mixed up his description with the title. And he swapped guitars, which may have affected my memory of it. So one last bow in your direction, haha.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 04:36:48 AM »

This report in Dutch includes some great pictures of that day (and later days):

http://philipgroenendijk.nl/pagina34.html

There's a funny bit about The Who's thunderous music producing ripples in the water of the toilet bowls...   

KDS
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2017, 05:23:21 AM »

It's strange; although the Who are ranked in the upper echelon of British Invasion bands, they don't seem to have the elite status of the Stones, Floyd, Zeppelin, etc. Personally, I prefer them to any of those bands - and I only have a couple of their albums! I know, I know...where have I been? But their best work is right up there with the best of the best IMO. Just got a copy of Who's Next recently, and it is definitely a classic. There's a reason they had a tough time continuing after Moon died; his drumming would have been totally wrong for, say, the Kinks, or the Beatles, would have just sounded like some crazy guy trying to attract attention to his playing, but it works perfectly in Pete's songs. And I like how so many times Pete has that acoustic rhythm in the bed of the track. They had a totally unique sound. The only knock against them I can see is that their catalog is rather small compared to the Kinks or the Stones (the only British Invasion bands of similar longevity I can think of). They've got more comps than studio albums.

I agree in that, in the terms of 60s rock bands, The Who tend to be a tad underrated.   I have a few theories:

1.  They were not as prolific as The Stones or Pink Floyd.  (Though if you measure quality over quantity, they have the Stones beat easily).

2.  Unlike The Beatles and Zeppelin, they continued to go on after the deaths of key members, therefore losing a bit of their mystique, which as much as I really like Zeppelin, I don't think there's a classic band that thrives more on mystique then them. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2017, 10:20:11 PM »

I agree in that, in the terms of 60s rock bands, The Who tend to be a tad underrated.   I have a few theories:

1.  They were not as prolific as The Stones or Pink Floyd.  (Though if you measure quality over quantity, they have the Stones beat easily).

2.  Unlike The Beatles and Zeppelin, they continued to go on after the deaths of key members, therefore losing a bit of their mystique, which as much as I really like Zeppelin, I don't think there's a classic band that thrives more on mystique then them. 
I would have been just fine with things if The Who had really ended with their farewell tour in 1982. Some would say they should have stopped when Keith died; a valid perspective. I agree, in terms of quality, they have the Stones beat. I'd say the Kinks have both bands beat in both departments, but I accept that my opinion is a minority one. God Save the Kinks!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx