gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:39:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rare song -- Brian playing "Susie Cincinnati" and "Little Child" in Holland!  (Read 58460 times)
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2017, 11:01:29 AM »

This is the incorrect speed, right?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 31, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »

I've come to believe that it's actually both Brian and Al trading lines on Daddy Dear. I think perhaps it's a case where they were both sitting around a piano, and one was teaching the song to the other, and said person started singing once they became familiar with the words and melody.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:35:05 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2017, 01:44:23 PM »

This is undoubtedly Brian. Go and listen to the '75 In The Back Of My Mind demo, then this, then tell me whether you still think it's Al!

I don't hear any trading of lines personally. The only other person I hear on the tape is Bruce reacting to Brian demoing this.

Wow. That is SO Brian Wilson. Did we find out if it's an original?

Do you mean the first song? It's 'Little Bird - Daddy Dear' apparently composed in the 30s by Cab Calloway:

https://youtu.be/b85EPad0yPw

I wonder if Brian heard this version from the Lawrence Welk show:

https://youtu.be/-R2QKmuqkZU
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 01:45:34 PM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 31, 2017, 01:52:56 PM »

I've come to believe that it's actually both Brian and Al trading lines on Daddy Dear. I think perhaps it's a case where they were both sitting around a piano, and one was teaching the song to the other, and said person started singing once they became familiar with the words and melody.

Same here. You hear  a second voice kind of singing along part of the way through.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 31, 2017, 01:53:42 PM »

Thanks for the links Buddhahat!

Absolutely beautiful song...No wonder Brian was tinkering with it! I'd love for this community to assemble a list of songs that Brian was interested in throughout the years. A playlist for both Spotify and Apple Music (and Youtube) would be great. It would probably help our understanding for his evolution of musical ideas throughout the years (especially the time between Smiley Smile and Love You).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 31, 2017, 02:00:46 PM »

Thanks for the links Buddhahat! Absolutely beautiful song...No wonder Brian was tinkering with it!

You're welcome! It is a beautiful song and I would have loved to hear how Brian might've produced this, at any point in his career.

I'd love for this community to assemble a list of songs that Brian was interested in throughout the years. A playlist for both Spotify and Apple Music (and Youtube) would be great. It would probably help our understanding for his evolution of musical ideas throughout the years (especially the time between Smiley Smile and Love You).

Good idea - get on it!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 31, 2017, 02:23:58 PM »

If the demo was in Holland, it can't be Bruce he was never there. Likely Brian and Al.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 31, 2017, 02:26:29 PM »

Put this on the damn bedroom tapes! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 01, 2017, 02:06:01 AM »

If the demo was in Holland, it can't be Bruce he was never there. Likely Brian and Al.

Fair point. That "mmm" at 1.50 sure sounds like Bruce to me though.

I've listened again and I'm struggling to hear any trading or doubling of lines. Somebody else occasionally whistles but that's the only secondary input I can hear.

Put this on the damn bedroom tapes! Grin

Amen!

Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2017, 03:26:18 PM »

It is Brian. 
monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2017, 02:10:08 PM »

Wow there are hardcore BB fans than think this is Alan rather than Brian?
It sounds exactly like Brian, and like Shortenin' Bread, who other than Brian would be obsessed with an inconsequential obscure tune such as Daddy Dear in the early 70s?
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2017, 05:15:13 PM »

As well as obsessed with a B side his friend wrote 4 years earlier?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2017, 09:03:27 AM »

Wow there are hardcore BB fans than think this is Alan rather than Brian?
It sounds exactly like Brian, and like Shortenin' Bread, who other than Brian would be obsessed with an inconsequential obscure tune such as Daddy Dear in the early 70s?

Is there any evidence Brian was "obsessed" with a song of which we have one single sketchy home recording?

Al wasn't exactly going mainstream by riffing on stuff like "Raspberries, Strawberries" by the Kingston Trio in that same era.

Whether this tape is Brian or Al, or both, the songs selected and performed on the tape don't scream "Brian" to me at all. If anything, it's hard to argue that Brian doing "Susie Cincinnati" makes at least a *tiny bit* less sense than Al doing it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2022, 02:00:52 PM »

Well gang, we now have a HQ version out on the new box set. I was always Team Brian, but I’ll be darned if I haven’t changed my stance. The talking is unmistakably Al to me. I don’t have a physical copy of the set, is there any info given in the liner notes?
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 07, 2022, 04:12:18 PM »

here's the info given for both songs  Wink

Holland home recording - previously unreleased
lead vocal: Brian
recorded Summer 1972 at Brian Wilson's home in Laren Netherlands
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 07, 2022, 07:08:54 PM »

It's Brian 100%. No debate

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2022, 06:22:27 AM »

There are one or two spoken lines during that tape where Brian does sound remarkably like Al. I think all of the singing has always been easily believable as Brian. I think a bit of the speaking is what has thrown a lot of people off (in addition to a bit of Al-esque verbiage, and the weird choice of one singing one of Al's songs), to the point of various theories (such as both of them being on the tape and somehow both speaking at the same volume on the tape without talking over each other at all).

My big takeaway from this has always been that, rather than being some sort of pedantic, cranky debate, it's actually a good reminder of how much Al and Brian could sound like each other during the first 10-15 years of their career. Especially remarkable considering they're not related.

I think all of these guys, either just weirdly coincidentally, or because they picked up bits of singing style from each other, could almost all sound like various other members at times. Mike and Al could sound similar in the right circumstances, and even Mike and Brian now and then, especially circa '67.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2023, 11:57:33 PM »

There are one or two spoken lines during that tape where Brian does sound remarkably like Al. I think all of the singing has always been easily believable as Brian. I think a bit of the speaking is what has thrown a lot of people off (in addition to a bit of Al-esque verbiage, and the weird choice of one singing one of Al's songs), to the point of various theories (such as both of them being on the tape and somehow both speaking at the same volume on the tape without talking over each other at all).

My big takeaway from this has always been that, rather than being some sort of pedantic, cranky debate, it's actually a good reminder of how much Al and Brian could sound like each other during the first 10-15 years of their career. Especially remarkable considering they're not related.

I think all of these guys, either just weirdly coincidentally, or because they picked up bits of singing style from each other, could almost all sound like various other members at times. Mike and Al could sound similar in the right circumstances, and even Mike and Brian now and then, especially circa '67.

Well said, I had an earth shattering realization a few years ago when I realized several vocals on the ‘Friends’ album were by Al that I had always attributed to Brian.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx