gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:16:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rare song -- Brian playing "Susie Cincinnati" and "Little Child" in Holland!  (Read 58564 times)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2006, 11:20:44 PM »

I must remark, though, just how *good* of shape Brian's voice appears to be on this tape.  He sings in falsetto throughout the songs, and it doesn't sound nearly as nasal as the Brian voice of circa 1971.  I would disagree, though, about the Jim Pewter interview.  To my ears, Brian's speaking voice sounds like the Brian of old on this tape....but on the Pewter interview, he sounds more like the late 1970's Brian...a bit of a gravely voice.  When I first heard that tape, I thought it was MUCH later than it actually was...maybe even early 1980s.

Speaking of dates, I was wondering if we could try to narrow down the date of this tape.  When were the Beach Boys actually in Holland?  Just 1972, or were they also there in 1973?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2006, 11:40:58 PM »

Andrew, listen to Brian doing the Fairy Tale music on "Get The Boot" through your spatializer.  If you come back and tell us that sounds like Al Jardine, too, then we'll have our answer. 

Hot damn... why didn't I think of that ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2006, 11:42:31 PM »

I love the line about "if children had wings, we wouldn't need birds."  That's sooo Brian.

Seeing as Brian didn't write the song, your arguement kinda falls apart right there, wouldn't you agree ?  Grin

Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2006, 06:57:28 AM »

I love the line about "if children had wings, we wouldn't need birds."  That's sooo Brian. 

Remember, "Little Child" is NOT a Brian Wilson composition.  It's apparently a traditional French song with new and/or translated English lyrics.  You can find recordings of the song elsewhere.  Here is some more info on the song...

-------------------

Liner Notes

George Winston

"Forest"

Track 7. Mon Enfant (My Child) 3:20
A traditional children’s piece, also recorded as a guitar solo for the
soundtrack SADAKO AND THE THOUSAND PAPER CRANES, with narration by Liv
Ullmann (Dancing Cat Records). Great versions of this song have also
been recorded by guitarist Ralph Towner (DIARY – ECM Records) and by
guitarist Wes Montgomery (TEQUILA – Verve Records, under the title
Little Child, Daddy Dear), with strings arranged by Claus Ogerman.

Then there were these additions to the original liner notes on the web, too...

Track #7 - Mon Enfant (My Child)
New Paragraph: A traditional French piece which also goes by the title The Little Boy and the Old Man. The song was also adapted and given new lyrics by composer Wayne Shanklin in 1954 with the title Little Child (Daddy Dear) - (Wayne Shanklin also composed the song The Big Hurt which was a hit for singer Toni Fisher in 1959. I also recorded this as a guitar solo for the soundtrack SADAKO AND THE THOUSAND PAPER CRANES, with narration by Liv Ullmann. Great instrumental guitar versions of this song have also been recorded by Ralph Towner on his album DIARY, as a guitar solo (ECM records) under the name Mon Enfant and under the same title by guitarist Wes Montgomery on his album TEQUILA, under the name Little Child (Daddy Dear).

-------------------

From the ASCAP website...

LITTLE CHILD (DADDY DEAR) (Title Code: 420047247)
Call the ASCAP Clearance line at: (212) 621-6160.

I called the number and asked who the composer was and they said Wayne Shanklin.

-------------------

The song "Little Child" can be found on the Verve Records
album "Tequila" by Wes Montgomery.

--------------------

« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:59:51 AM by Dan Lega » Logged
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2006, 02:53:53 PM »

I'm a skeptic that this is a "Holland" era recording.  Maybe 69 or 70...around Sunflower.  Doesn't look like there is anything to support the date other than the posts on a website.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2006, 03:37:18 PM »

Well, the guy who claims to have given Brian the recorder certainly is a Nederlander, unless he's writing in perfect Dutch just to fake out the Beach Boys fanbase.  Somehow the tape ended up in Holland.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »

I'm a skeptic that this is a "Holland" era recording.  Maybe 69 or 70...around Sunflower.  Doesn't look like there is anything to support the date other than the posts on a website.

...and his voice, which matches his vocals on the Fairy Tale demo.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2006, 09:03:45 PM »

I'll give a listen to the Fairy Tale demo.  I think it would be interesting to know more about the origin of this tape...and what is "Han's" connection to Brian Wilson.  All in all it's plausable....I'm just a natural cynic.

One thing that occured to me last night when re-listening to this demo.  The piano, the actual instrument, anyone notice anything familier about it's timbre?  Does this sound like a spinet type instrument one would likely find in a rented home in the Netherlands?
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2006, 02:38:23 AM »

One thing that occured to me last night when re-listening to this demo. The piano, the actual instrument, anyone notice anything familier about it's timbre? Does this sound like a spinet type instrument one would likely find in a rented home in the Netherlands?
It sounds like a slightly out-of-tune piano, certainly the kind of instrument you'd find in a rented home in the Netherlands. Alternatively, it also sounds like a piano Brian has tuned to "his ears", which he could have done himself, or had shipped over from  LA with the moogs, console, and all the other "Holland" equipment.
Toby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2006, 04:55:12 AM »

I'm more than likely the person who first brought up Patty Cake in relation to the snippet in the Brian bio documentary. It now turns out that that snippet is not Patty Cake, which is strange, because that was the belief of the documentary's director. I discussed it with my dear Dumb Angel Gazette editor on the phone some three years ago.

Oh well, I guess we all stand corrected.

There IS a song called Patty Cake, though, and written about the gorilla giving birth in a NYC zoo.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2006, 05:04:49 AM »

Yeah, but is it any good?
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2006, 07:12:11 AM »

I found the post below at Susan's board, where I first read about the snippet. 

(PS -- Andrew, how's it going with the Spatializer and "The Fairy Tale" tape?)    Smiley

----------------------------

jossainjoku

Re: Brian in Holland
« Reply #12 on: 05 Feb 2006 »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I mailed Hanszun,the owner of the original demo,just to let him know people are talking about this tape.This is a quote from his mail:           

will you tell mikey, thanks

and everybody else it was brian, it was on my own recorder.

marilyn and i became friends during that time, my wife baked bread for both brian and dennis
and his family, and brian  and marylin even came to my house in amsterdam, where i gave him some albums by the dutch group Supersister which he liked apparently.

when you go through the archives of my blog you ll find a christmas card that brian and marilyn
send me...                                                                                                                                                   

Here´s that card if you´re interested: http://hanszunblog.blogspot.com/2005/12/december-1-merry-xmas-from-brian.html#links   
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2006, 07:15:26 AM »

When I can find my copy of the boot, I'll surely tell you.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2006, 10:23:28 AM »

btw, the 'whistling' I think is just leakage from another channel on the tape...I dont think anyone is whistling while Brian is actually playing...

thats what it sounds like to me...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »

Once again, from Susan's board comes correspondence from the gentleman who owns said tape in question...

---------------------------

jossainjoku

Re: Brian in Holland
« Reply #21 on: Today at 02:33 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got a mail from Hans.  Here it is:

with a little bit of wonder and amusement i follow the discussions on the groups about my sound snippet.

I was  a pop journalist at the time, writing for the dutch magazine OOR (ear).
and in that capacity, anfd thru my friendship with the people at Warner Bros, I met Diane and Marylin, when they did press in Holland for their then released album SPRING.  they gave me a nice Beach Boys record bag, with rhinestones which i still have, and we had a great time, They both signed my SPRING album,
a picture you can find at: http://rapidshare.de/files/12749011/sign2.jpg
--
the album it self is in my archives.

after  a while when the boys moved to holland , marylin called me to come over to the house in Laren.  It was there that i first met brian, and when he told me, that he did not have a recorder there, i lent him mine.  the tape was on it, when he came back..

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2006, 07:12:11 PM »

OK, it's obvious that there are 2 people in the room...

it sound like Brian to me. I mean, if it was Al, don't you think that Al would be able to play one of his own compositions without stumbling the chord changes? Even if it was on an unfamilar instrument?
SurferGirl7
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2006, 01:56:39 PM »

From my understanding it was Brian and Al sharing the song and then it was Brian playing piano on SC.  Huh
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2006, 07:26:57 AM »

From my understanding it was Brian and Al sharing the song and then it was Brian playing piano on SC.  Huh

Sorry, but I'm confused as to what you mean by this.  Are you talking about the Holland tape or the Beach Boys' recording of the song?  Thanks.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2006, 12:55:23 PM »

Here's another snippet of an instrumental version of the song, given a heavy dramatic treatment:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000NKL/sr=8-1/qid=1139517920/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-9172633-8540964?%5Fencoding=UTF8

I'd love to hear another vocal version, particularly whichever version caught Brian's ear, but after hearing his great voice on it I imagine any other would be disappointing.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
SurferGirl7
« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2006, 01:54:04 PM »

The demo, Dan.
MBE
« Reply #95 on: March 23, 2006, 11:39:22 PM »

Can somebody here send me this recording every link I tried is broken
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2006, 07:40:30 AM »

I'll do it when I get off work. PM me with your email addy.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2009, 06:01:54 AM »

A recording of Brian in Holland!  I found a link to this on
Susan's Shut Down board.  It has Brian trying to sing a song
apparently called "Little Child". It also has Brian doing "Susie Cincinnati".

Bump!

How did I miss this when it was first posted back in ’06? I think I might have been on a mountain in New Zealand!

“We live in divisive times.”
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »

i've been dying to hear this for myself
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »

i've been dying to hear this for myself

Me too...is this the snippet from the A&E Bio??? Could anyone possibly send me a PM??
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx