gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:38:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alleged TLOS demos...  (Read 35335 times)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2008, 05:32:23 AM »

Having said that, if Al or Mike release a solo album, I will get those too!! More solo albums for everyone. I wonder if it's common for great artists to go through a resurgent period late in life, or if Dylan and Brian Wilson are anomalies(among anomalies)?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 10:02:00 AM by lance » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2008, 04:57:08 PM »

Wow, how did this end up 'out there'?  Brian or Mel must have had a hand in it. Maybe to appease the masses because of the delay in recording the album.

The Demos are pristine quality and a lot of effort went into the B/R vocals.  Yes, some midi but make the "Love You' demos sound like garbage (quality wise).

Just burned the tracks to CD (37 minutes).  Understand Brian has added some songs - hopefully 'CWTL' will be fleshed out to atleast a couple minutes - so hopefully the album will be over 45 - 50 minutes .

The quality of the writing makes me wish the album would feature guest appearances by the Beach Boys.  I can hear David singing the opening verse (Rudy Vallee style), Al in spots; Bruce and Mike too.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Jason
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »

Wow, how did this end up 'out there'?

Oh, it's the story of many an unreleased item. Person A gives something to Person B, Person B gives it to Person C, Person C makes it public knowledge.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2008, 11:21:12 PM »

Just listened thru again on my car stereo.  Great, great sound! (gotta love technology and 'FLAC', which beats MP3s by the way)   Could really hear a lot of nuances I didn't hear in the live versions  (and some variations from the live arrangements).  Brian, Scott, VDP, others really put considerable effort into this.  Going to be a VERY good album with the full band (though some members / Taylor on one?/ seem to be adding b/r vocals on a few tracks.)

Yes, I know these things get passed around but in the history of BB boots, I've never heard anything like this quality.  And all 'out there' freely available.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 01:31:45 AM »

Wasn't Bri-Mel holding out for major label distribution, rather than the self-released option, which is why the long delay in finally getting around to a proper studio recording of TLOS?

If this is the case, then Bri-Mel  likely made high quality "home demos" that they then shopped around the (crumbling) major labels.

Any leak likely came from some guy at a label.

i haven't heard the demos, but i don't mind waiting for the real thing. As long as it comes eventually.

Any chances of a real piano being used this time around? That was the one thing that annoyed me (slightly) about Smile 2004, that the piano and harpsichord timbres i loved so much from the 60s were replaced by keyboards.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 04:52:20 AM »

Wasn't Bri-Mel holding out for major label distribution, rather than the self-released option, which is why the long delay in finally getting around to a proper studio recording of TLOS?

If this is the case, then Bri-Mel  likely made high quality "home demos" that they then shopped around the (crumbling) major labels.

i haven't heard the demos, but i don't mind waiting for the real thing. As long as it comes eventually.

Any chances of a real piano being used this time around? That was the one thing that annoyed me (slightly) about Smile 2004, that the piano and harpsichord timbres i loved so much from the 60s were replaced by keyboards.

Actually...REAL pianos (both grand & upright) were used for Smile 2004.  The only "faux" instrument was the harpsichord, which was a custom-programmed Kurzweil.  The Kurzweil company sent one of their programmers over to work with Darian on the sound until Brian, Darian, etc. agreed it sounded like the real thing.  At least that's what it says in the article from either EQ or SoundOnSound (or maybe both...).
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 08:11:56 AM »

I think these demos were made last summer for bandmembers to familiarize themselves with songs/running order, etc., and possibly to show progress to the folks at the RFH  Why would Melinda use a demo with a BB track in it to shop the project to a label?  I don't think she would.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 11:17:26 AM »

Seeing as Brian's people were spitting feathers and pitching blue fits about the demos being 'out there', I seriously doubt they had any hand in leaking it. There's one very obvious reason, if you think about things for a little while. Not saying it's the right reason, but works for me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
dsl
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 01:43:58 PM »

I still can't believe they got out. Is Brian's camp really going beserk (like they should)?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »

I still can't believe they got out.

You can't? I'd be a lot more surprised if they hadn't gotten out.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »

Seeing as Brian's people were spitting feathers and pitching blue fits about the demos being 'out there',
Gee AGD, I missed the Melinda Wilson/David Leaf thread where they posted their unhappiness.  I for one, as a BB 'outsider' fan, find it a bit tiresome where 'insiders' come up with these things after the fact; or claim to have insider knowledge on goings on but can't divulge the facts (IE: Al Jardine not going on Brian's UK tour).  From hearing them, I think Susan is right that the tracks were put together for band members to learn the songs.  But it is naive to think, after making disks for so many people, that they wouldn't get out there.  Do you have any actual Mel quotes??? Nothing on the Blue Board.

With all due respect to you, by the way, AGD.   (I am just dying to find out why Al didn't tour)

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2008, 03:06:53 PM »

For my cd, I added Brian's  'Heaven" as a bonus track and then  "TLOS"  live in London . About 73 minutes.  I am one happy camper right now as this will get me thru till POB/Bambu, Then the reissue of 'The Real Beach Boy', Then 'PostCard',  then the studio version of "TLOS'.  2008 is shaping up to be a very good year!

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2008, 04:24:29 PM »

Well, whatever the reason for these things being leaked, they at least have the benefit of making the project seem exciting. Brian sounds with it and was obviously involved in playing instruments and singing leads and backgrounds. Add some strong material, and there's a strong case for the suite.

To my mind, this kind of leak just pressures the BW camp to release something already. That, or some band member is trying to sabotage the commercial release -- but why would anyone do that?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »

That, or some band member is trying to sabotage the commercial release -- but why would anyone do that?

How would leaked demos affect eventual sales of material?  The "Free As a Bird" demo was available, yet Beatles' Anthology I certainly sold well. It's not like someone leaked the actual album--that hasn't even been (completely) recorded yet. The only way it would hurt sales would be if the songs sucked so badly that people decided not to buy, as opposed to being disappointed by an eventual release of those terrible songs. And in the case of TLOS, that isn't true--the songs are generally really good.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2008, 05:10:37 PM »

Luther -- I don't think that's the case -- I was just trying to play AGD's little puzzle -- why would the material be leaked? What's the purpose? He seems to suggest that there's a fairly obvious reason (aside from BW's inner circle letting it out for their own purposes). I was trying to figure it out. Perplexing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2008, 01:14:02 AM »

Seeing as Brian's people were spitting feathers and pitching blue fits about the demos being 'out there',
Gee AGD, I missed the Melinda Wilson/David Leaf thread where they posted their unhappiness.  I for one, as a BB 'outsider' fan, find it a bit tiresome where 'insiders' come up with these things after the fact; or claim to have insider knowledge on goings on but can't divulge the facts (IE: Al Jardine not going on Brian's UK tour).  From hearing them, I think Susan is right that the tracks were put together for band members to learn the songs.  But it is naive to think, after making disks for so many people, that they wouldn't get out there.  Do you have any actual Mel quotes??? Nothing on the Blue Board.

With all due respect to you, by the way, AGD.   (I am just dying to find out why Al didn't tour)

Their unhappiness wasn't posted on any MB, but was made plain in emails. Why do you think that there was very little discussion when the tracks first leaked, or why certain threads rapidly vanished ?

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2008, 02:02:51 AM »

How would leaked demos affect eventual sales of material?

They won't. Anyone that's curious enough to download demos is probably a fan and will get the official thing anyway. I'm sure that even if they'd put all the demos on BW's site as free downloads, it wouldn't hurt the sales of the album the slightest bit.

I can understand though that the BW camp is not happy with songs leaking out that haven't been approved yet as being finished.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2008, 05:50:22 AM »

How would leaked demos affect eventual sales of material?

They won't. Anyone that's curious enough to download demos is probably a fan and will get the official thing anyway. I'm sure that even if they'd put all the demos on BW's site as free downloads, it wouldn't hurt the sales of the album the slightest bit.

That was my point.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2008, 07:55:51 AM »

That was my point.

I know. Can't a person reply without disagreeing?  Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2008, 08:37:56 AM »

I won't stop you.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2008, 09:38:58 AM »

Wow this thread had more legs and ran further than I thought it would.  LOL
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »

Hmm must access google....

I remember when threads on this subject first appeared, then disappeared sometimes within hours! Clearly someone with influence genuinely does NOT want this discussed....ergo the leak has no approval (tacit or otherwise) from Brian/Melinda. They don't want it out there...and the only reason I can think of is that the final product will sound very different. Still, I am sure AGD's little puzzle has a different answer.

Personally, even if they posted the entire album as free downloads, I'd still buy the official release....twice if its available on vinyl....but then I was one of the loons who bought the vinyl box set of Radiohead's album last year...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2008, 02:27:46 PM »

I think the final product may well sound quite different.  Huh

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2008, 02:28:46 PM »

edit.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 02:33:40 PM by claymcc » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2008, 02:32:52 PM »

I think the final product may well sound quite different.  Huh

What does that mean? They're bringing in some awful "hitmaking" outside producer?
Brian and Melinda, it's not going to be a hit. Just accept that. He's 65. 65-year-olds don't have hits. Just make the music Brian's way, and it will be beloved. Beloved is better than Top 40.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx