gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:51:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alleged TLOS demos...  (Read 35331 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2008, 04:44:47 AM »

In the corporate world, a "dismissal" is often spun (for media consumption) into a "voluntary departure to pursue other interests".  I think we've seen some of that in regards to Mike's band.  Could that possibly be what's happening here? 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2008, 05:51:27 AM »

In the corporate world, a "dismissal" is often spun (for media consumption) into a "voluntary departure to pursue other interests".  I think we've seen some of that in regards to Mike's band.  Could that possibly be what's happening here? 

Of course that could be what's happening, or the management might actually be telling the truth? People do quit. Weren't Bob and Jim session musicians in Chicago? Maybe they wanted to work with other people, as management suggests.

Why don't we just rename this board "conspiracytheories.com" or "wifeandmanagerareevil.com"?  Grin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »

... or the management might actually be telling the truth?

Hmmmmm... interesting concept. I'll examine the possibility.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2008, 09:07:32 AM »

Of course that could be what's happening, or the management might actually be telling the truth? People do quit. Weren't Bob and Jim session musicians in Chicago? Maybe they wanted to work with other people, as management suggests.

Why don't we just rename this board "conspiracytheories.com" or "wifeandmanagerareevil.com"?  Grin

I'm not one who's generally prone to conspiracy theories.  I wasn't alarmed when Darian didn't make the 2003 and 2006 summer tours, or when Darian, Scott, and Bob didn't make the 2007 summer tour (Bob made the European leg of it).  And if it were just Jim & Bob departing at this time, I wouldn't necessarily think it wasn't of their own free will, especially considering they live in Chicago not California, and they do keep busy as session musicians there.  But considering Alan Jardine decided at the last minute to stay home from the European tour last year to dedicate himself to finishing a solo album that still doesn't have a release date that I'm aware of, and considering that two of the main tech guys are leaving at the same time as the Tasties smacks of what the corporate world calls a RIF (Reduction In Force), ususally motivated by financial concerns.  Which, BTW, I totally understand, considering the price of gas & everything else these days...you do what you must to ensure your business survives, and it's nothing personal. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »

Which, BTW, I totally understand, considering the price of gas & everything else these days...you do what you must to ensure your business survives, and it's nothing personal. 

So Brian's hurting for cash ?? Even given that he only gets the mechanicals (not the publishing) from the classic songs, I have a hard time believing his income is less than seven figures a year. Maybe someone's made a bad investment.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2008, 11:50:51 AM »

Well, I doubt BW (or his business, that is) tours out of charity. It's done, I assume, to make some amount of money, however small. And the U.S. is reeling right now -- slipping further every day into recession or depression. The real estate crash has slammed the entire economy. I'm assuming it affected the BW outfit the way it's affected all of us here in the states.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 11:53:08 AM by claymcc » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2008, 12:16:48 PM »

Not counting the three/four date tours and one-offs, Brian's US tours have historically lost money, with the possible exception of the series in 1999 (where the merchandising made up the shortfall) and, of course, the 2001 tour supporting Paul Simon. The 2000 US Pet Sounds jaunt was a financial disaster - I've heard it lost close to $500,000. Overseas it's the promoters who have taken a bath.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2008, 12:55:12 PM »

Well, assuming Brian is heavily invested in real estate (I know I've read he's picked up various homes in various spots over the last 10 years or so), he might be really feeling the pinch right now. Some big markets have seen 20-30 percent drops in property values.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2008, 03:05:33 PM »

I wouldn't worry about BW's finances just because of the U.S. having its troubles. It seems to me that in such times, the poor get poorer, the middle class become poor and the rich, well, they might get a little less rich. I think he's got enough cash on hand to cover the rent...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »

Oh, I don't doubt that. My one point is that he may well have less spare cash floating around, and his inner circle might be less prepared to subsidize a money-hemorrhaging tour.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2008, 07:19:20 PM »

If the real estate market is down, it doesn't harm somebody's cash if they're not actively selling real estate.  Brian owns several homes because he's incredibly wealthy.  He's not renting them out or anything, they're vacation homes.  It doesn't matter if the homes are worth less now or not, because he's not trying to sell them.  Even if he's borrowed up to his eyeballs on the homes, their relative value to the loans wouldn't matter because again he's not selling them and taking the hit on the loss.  His bills this month are the same as his bills last year when the houses were worth more. 

Also, about the U.S. economy.  They tell me on the news every night that the economy is horrible, yet we haven't had a single month of negative gdp growth, much less the 6 months in a row we need to make it a recession, lines at Disney World are longer than ever, and Movie Ticket sales are through the roof.  If we're in a recession, people sure are spending a lot of money. 

Also you can't fire the drummer and the bassist to save money if you have to hire another drummer and bassist to take their place.  This is all a bunch of drama over nothing.  How big is his band, anyways?  10 or 15 people?  We're supposed to be shocked that after 9 years a couple of them left? 

Lets put this in another perspective: Bob and Jim left the band after 9 years.  Brian Wilson himself stopped touring with the Beach Boys 3 years in. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 07:21:42 PM by Ron » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »

Also you can't fire the drummer and the bassist to save money if you have to hire another drummer and bassist to take their place.   

You can if you can pay the new guys less.  Which is why I think Adrian Baker, Mike Meros, Mike Kowalski, and Chris Farmer were all let go from the Mike & Bruce band.  Like I said, if Bob & Jim were the only ones leaving, I wouldn't necessarily doubt it was all their idea.  But two of the top tech guys "leaving" at the same time?   
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »

Baker was 'let go' because he wasn't being a team player, and Kowalski, well, his drumming had become worse than a joke.

MBE
« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2008, 01:34:10 AM »

In your opinion had he ever been really good to start?
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2008, 03:12:00 AM »

Kowalski was one of the premier drummers of the 1970s.  He played with a lot of first-rate artists, including Island Records' Nick Drake.  David Marks tells the story of talking with him years later - late '90s - and discovering the MK was the drummer on one of DM's favorite obscure songs from 30 or 40 years ago.  According to David, whose judgment in such matters i trust, Kowalski was a monster drummer.  As he aged it became much more difficult physically for him to keep up, but in his younger days, yes - he really WAS good.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
MBE
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2008, 04:35:50 AM »

Thanks for answering.  I just asked because I don't hear bad drums on any Beach Boys seventies shows myself.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2008, 05:42:27 AM »

Yes, very good - in his days with the pre-1998 Beach Boys he was never less than excellent, but as the years went on, he frankly lost it (due in part to a painful back problem, granted) and by 2004 was a complete embarrassment. In stark terms, he wasn't doing the job he was being paid to do.

mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2008, 06:00:04 AM »

Yes, very good - in his days with the pre-1998 Beach Boys he was never less than excellent, but as the years went on, he frankly lost it (due in part to a painful back problem, granted) and by 2004 was a complete embarrassment. In stark terms, he wasn't doing the job he was being paid to do.

I remember someone saying he had a heart problem or something. Am I dreaming this or is that true?
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2008, 12:48:10 PM »

Thanks for answering.  I just asked because I don't hear bad drums on any Beach Boys seventies shows myself.

Well, in the 70s shows, they also had guys like Dennis Dragon, Ricky Fataar, and Bobby Figueroa playing drums along with Kowalski (and Dennis W.), though they did use Kowalski as the replacement for Dennis in the 80s, and he didn't seem too bad then.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2008, 07:00:27 PM »

His back was still healthy then...the '70s are a long way from the '00s [pronounced AWTS].

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2008, 07:56:33 PM »

His back was still healthy then...the '70s are a long way from the '00s [pronounced AWTS].
"awts"? I've just always called this decade the 2000s.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
MBE
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »

I have some shows from early this century but haven't got around to playing them I have so many live shows to still hear. Thanks for more info everyone. I heard people saying his drumming wasn't that great but only the last seven years or so. Now I know why.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2008, 09:04:33 PM »

... or the management might actually be telling the truth?

Hmmmmm... interesting concept. I'll examine the possibility.  Roll Eyes

The ultimate nutty conspiracy theory.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2008, 10:18:44 PM »

The people living in the years 1900 to 1909 referred to that decade as the "aughts" or the "aughties", aught meaning zero. Many people refer to this decade as the "two-thousands", but "aughts" is just as correct.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2008, 10:49:40 PM »

The people living in the years 1900 to 1909 referred to that decade as the "aughts" or the "aughties", aught meaning zero. Many people refer to this decade as the "two-thousands", but "aughts" is just as correct.

I've never heard of that...it sounds strange. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx