gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:23:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alleged TLOS demos...  (Read 35215 times)
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2008, 06:20:27 AM »

I have seen something floating around the net claiming to be demos for TLOS.  The files are in FLAC format, so if I had them in my possession I would have no way to play them at this moment.  Has anyone heard of these "demos" and does anyone know what they are?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 06:32:04 AM »

They are just that - there's been discussion about them here and on other boards but much of it has been stopped.

There was an MP3 download available for just a few days on a Singapore website and since then a boot has been pressed. I think attention was drawn to it when someone began posting spoof jokey threads about bonus tracks, since said to be a red herring, but who knows.

But any mention of either online seems to be eradicated very quickly - I think Melinda's pulling out the stops to have this suffocated; God Only Knows how it came to be leaked but no doubt someone's had a surf board inserted where the California sun's never gonna shine.

The demos were superb quality, though the BBs' version of Can't Wait Too Long was used, a few vocals snippets are done by band members rather than Brian and there's the odd crude edit. Other than that it is STUNNING... or so I heard.

As AGD has reported elsewhere that recoding has started properly, you're probably as well awaiting for the finished product - on the strength of what was out there ever-so-briefly, it's going to be simply breathtaking.

And don't be surprised if this thread vanishes before long!

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:49 AM »

Here's some artwork... I don't expect that'll be around long either.

http://www.giginjapan.com/scan145/brian-wilson-that.htm

Before you ask, I'm afraid I don't have a copy.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 06:51:33 AM »

This is the tracklist of another reputed bootleg - but the bonus tracks would surely make it a 2CD set, not a single (note that Lucky Old Sun is usually listed as tracks 1 & 2):

FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES
That Lucky Old Sun
Morning Beat
Narrative: Room With A View
Good Kind Of Love
Forever She’ll Be My Surfer Girl
Narrative: Venice Beach
Live Let Live
Mexican Girl
Narrative: De Mayo
California Role
Narrative: Between Pictures
Oxygen To The Brain
Been Too Long
Midnight’s Another Day
That Lucky Old Sun
I’m Goin’ Home
Southern California

BONUS TRACKS (sources as identified by AGD over on the Shutdown message board -  thanks Andrew...)
ive Let Live - alternate version from Arctic Tale soundtrack
Speed Turtle - from CD included in kids book: not BW composition
What Love Can Do - from New Music From An Old Friend
God Only Knows - ditto
Heaven - from the Bloo
The Spirit Of Rock ‘n’ Roll - probably from the Hallmark CD Songs From Here & Back
You Are So Beautiful - from Carnie's lullabyes CD A Mother's Gift
Believe In Yourself - from the Duck Dodgers cartoon, also an ESQ CD Under God
Rodney On The ROQ - from the Mayor Of Sunset Strip soundtrack

Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 06:58:01 AM »

Thanks for the info.

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:55:57 AM »

I've heard it. It's definitely genuine - about the same quality as the 2 demos on Brian's site last year.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 09:51:27 AM »

Dont know if that Melinda comment is true or not.. I do know that private emails flew back + forth + everyone decided NOT to talk about it,,,If Melinda is involved she has that right...It must be frustrating to keep new work private...We all know that doesnt happen..  And its gone on forever..BW is such a revered figure in music..The music is so geniune That the fans want everything ...!!!!!         BUT.. And a BIG BUT... Melinda must know anybody that has those..will.. STILL .. Buy the FINISHED product.... The true fans SUPPORT the music in all its forms..... But yes their privacy has been invaded...
SG7
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »

Speaking of the demos I saw this on the blueboard. Wonder if this is true or not. I kind of hope not  Angry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Ethrington Any Truth . . . ?

(posted by Gary Carson on May 1, 2008 at 7:38 am)

You semed to be very dialed into the BW Camp. I heard from a friend in L.A. who works in the studio where TLOS was being recorded that The Band has offically changed? The Tastey Brothers are NO MORE?! Bob Lizik and Jim Hines are no longer in The Band?! Please say it isn't so?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 09:56:44 AM »

I love that comment about inserting a surfboard ...Pure Genius..!!!!!!!!!!!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:08:06 AM »

Dont know if that Melinda comment is true or not.. I do know that private emails flew back + forth + everyone decided NOT to talk about it,,,If Melinda is involved she has that right...It must be frustrating to keep new work private...We all know that doesnt happen..  And its gone on forever..BW is such a revered figure in music..The music is so geniune That the fans want everything ...!!!!!         BUT.. And a BIG BUT... Melinda must know anybody that has those..will.. STILL .. Buy the FINISHED product.... The true fans SUPPORT the music in all its forms..... But yes their privacy has been invaded...

Fully appreciate what you're saying Mr Wilson, which is why I'd not be upset if this thread went the way of the others.  And I can understand why Brian and/or Melinda (or who-ever) might not want demos in circulation -  if anyone saw what I'm working on right now, I'd never get another job in my life!

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 10:21:49 AM »

Speaking of the demos I saw this on the blueboard. Wonder if this is true or not. I kind of hope not  Angry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Ethrington Any Truth . . . ?

(posted by Gary Carson on May 1, 2008 at 7:38 am)

You semed to be very dialed into the BW Camp. I heard from a friend in L.A. who works in the studio where TLOS was being recorded that The Band has offically changed? The Tastey Brothers are NO MORE?! Bob Lizik and Jim Hines are no longer in The Band?! Please say it isn't so?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think so. That rumour was also out a few years ago and nothing happened.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 11:32:44 AM »

I've heard them.

Simply stunning. Some of Brian's best solo work ever!

I can't wait till the official album comes out. It's mind boggling that this can sound even better.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 11:56:33 AM »

I've heard them.

I can't wait till the official album comes out. It's mind boggling that this can sound even better.

I think you're right! I'm hoping that the CWTL section will be expanded considerably or re-recorded as a bonus track, hopefully in the way Brian intended back in the '60s, with lyrics, as TLOS will make for a short CD album in itself.

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 12:02:56 PM »

I've heard them.

I think you're right! I'm hoping that the CWTL section will be expanded considerably or re-recorded as a bonus track, hopefully in the way Brian intended back in the '60s, with lyrics, as TLOS will make for a short CD album in itself.

Sorry for my ignorance, what's CWTL stand for?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »

Can't Wait Too Long,

or

Been Way Too Long
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 12:19:20 PM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 12:28:43 PM »

God Only Knows how it came to be leaked but no doubt someone's had a surf board inserted where the California sun's never gonna shine.
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 12:41:48 PM »

Well, Jimmy Hines wasn't in the band originally -- that was Todd Sucherman (now Mr. Taylor Mills).  Todd played most of the drums on the GIOMH album, and he seems to be close to Scotty Bennett (they co-produced Taylor's solo CD), so he might be on the album. Who knows? As for Bob Lizik, he seems like one of the less critical members of the band -- but that's just my opinion.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 02:11:02 PM »

Can't Wait Too Long,

or

Been Way Too Long

Doh! Should've known that.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »

I've been lucky enough to hear the demos, (though only a couple of times because I don't want to spoil the real thing) and they are good, some better than others, while some of the instruments sound a little MIDI-ish to me - particularly the title track.  But what do we expect - they are demos.

That said, when fully produced I expect TLOS to be a great triumph for Mr Wilson...the demos show the potential...and with the full orchestrations from the live shows I don't think I have looked forward to the release of (m)any albums more than this (I missed the SMiLE anticipation).

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 04:07:57 PM »

while some of the instruments sound a little MIDI-ish to me

I think there is a good reason for that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
michael
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 09:52:44 PM »

I recieved these recording a few weeks ago.My first impresion twas that it was a Love Song Suite to California with heavy Mt Vernon overtones.
 I like the way it sound as is. No need to mess with it any more.IMHO
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2008, 12:43:46 AM »

I recieved these recording a few weeks ago.My first impresion twas that it was a Love Song Suite to California with heavy Mt Vernon overtones.
 I like the way it sound as is. No need to mess with it any more.IMHO

I reckon you should try having another listen - I believe you'll find its actually about the Wilson family, its relationaship with California (after all it did help create the image of California) and more importantly about Brian, his youth, his brothers and his redemption. Its far more than "a love song suite to California". Isolate the Californian songs (and narratives) from the rest and the songs then follow the timeline of the rest, the timeline is the key to the family/Brian story.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2008, 01:48:31 AM »

Heard, its great! particularly like california role, morning beat, MAD, southern california

really looking forward to hearing the official release

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2008, 03:09:02 AM »

Love the way the mouth organ is being used in Going Home. Unlike How Could We Still Be Dancin', Desert Drive et al, this song really does rock.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2008, 05:29:31 AM »

Haven't heard a single note of it, so I'm eagerly awaiting it's release. Great news that it's being recorded after the halt earlier this year. Sweet. It may indeed be a very good year with the POB reissue, none of which I've really heard.

I hope Mike doesn't sue Brian upon release!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx