gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 10:42:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys & the Ramones  (Read 10153 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 30, 2008, 07:21:20 AM »

I've said this countless times and I'll say it again- the Beach Boys and the Ramones (in my opinion) are the two greatest, and most important bands in rock n' roll; and for anyone who's listened to both bands you know that the Ramones took a lot of influence from the Beach Boys. And pretty much every great band that has come since has been influenced by both legendary groups.
-Josh
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:03:01 AM »

.... and they both benefited from the tender gentle touch of Phil Spector.  Evil LOL Evil
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 09:25:32 AM »

I don't think the Ramones were influenced by the Beach Boys that much. I think it's more that they were both influenced by Spector.
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 09:30:38 AM »

I LOVE the Ramones and I know this could be misconstrued as a dig, but the Beach Boys connection is clear to me- Joey Ramone made a whole career out of re-writing Little Honda a million times.

Gabba Gabba Hey!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 11:17:42 AM »

I could easily picture the Ramones covering stuff like Surfin' Safari and I Get Around.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 11:49:21 AM »

They do cover Surf City on thier late 80s covers album.  It's pretty neat too!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 12:45:08 PM »

I don't think the Ramones were influenced by the Beach Boys that much. I think it's more that they were both influenced by Spector.
You gotta be kidding. The Ramones have cited the early Beach Boys as one of their major influences over and over, and the proof is in the attitude and template of so many of their songs like Sheena and Rockaway Beach. Its tongue in cheek, its faster, but it so obvious, and way more garage than Spector ever was.
KokoMoses
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 12:57:17 PM »

I've said this countless times and I'll say it again- the Beach Boys and the Ramones (in my opinion) are the two greatest, and most important bands in rock n' roll; and for anyone who's listened to both bands you know that the Ramones took a lot of influence from the Beach Boys. And pretty much every great band that has come since has been influenced by both legendary groups.
-Josh

Couldn't agree with you more. And I'll argue this all the way down the rabbit hole!

As for The Beach Boys influencing The Ramones!!!! How is it even arguable?
In End Of The Century, Dee Dee talks about how he and Tommy bonded over both liking The Beach Boys!

Tell it Dee Dee!!!!!!
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »

"Be True to Your School" is like the Ramones before the Ramones existed.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 01:40:36 PM »

I could easily picture the Ramones covering stuff like Surfin' Safari...

They did, it's a bonus track on Acid Eaters. The Ramones also covered "Do You Wanna Dance" and "Surfin' Bird".

A morbid comparison is that both bands lost members way too early...
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »

ALL SUMMER LONG seems to have been the benchmark for the Ramones template, at least as far as the Beach Boys influence went. Spector might have produced "Do You Remember Rock And Roll Radio?", but the song is clearly inspired by the Beach Boys' "Do You Remember?"
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 02:30:55 PM »

"Do You Remember" is pure KICKS magazine genius. The best title ever is "Carl's Big Chance." That is the very definition of rock n' roll.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »

Ramones -Surfin Safari

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azfCrBFVzGk

Check it out!!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
49ersphil
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 05:43:52 PM »

Don't yell at me too much  Cheesy but there are similarities between the live shows of Da Brudders and the Mike & Bruce Boys.
The recent UK dates featured about 55 songs (no medleys) many of which were played buzzsaw-like.

Close your eyes and lean back and listen to wind chimes
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »

Be True to Your Rock 'n Roll High School . . .

"I Wanna Be Sedated" has the Berry-esque "Ba Ba Ba-Ba's" . . .

Dig the "Jan & Dean Shirt" (style) in the "Rock 'n Roll High School" video.

M.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 10:47:02 PM »

I am not into punk myself, but I would have to admit that the Ramones are good. But I can only take so much of that stuff. Its all short and simple. Its not like the Beach Boys (65-73), Beatles, Pink Floyd, U2 or Radiohead where you can listen a million times and still find something new.

In fact I can only take so much of the Beach Boys (61-64)!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 05:09:16 AM »

You gotta be kidding. The Ramones have cited the early Beach Boys as one of their major influences over and over, and the proof is in the attitude and template of so many of their songs like Sheena and Rockaway Beach. Its tongue in cheek, its faster, but it so obvious, and way more garage than Spector ever was.

Musicians often tend to name bands that they like as influences, even if they don't necessarily sound like them. And I definately hear way more Spector than Beach Boys influences in the Ramones' sound. But that's just my opinion then.

And for the record: I played guitar in a Ramones cover band a few years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with their music.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 05:11:48 AM by shelter » Logged
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »

Well, yeah, that rock n' roll rebel/beatnik sensability inherent to Dion or Phil Spector is so aparent in the Ramones. There is no striped-shirt vibe at all in the Ramones.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »

At the very least, Joey loved the Beach Boys. Never heard of any of the others saying much either way.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:40:56 AM by elnombre » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »

Musicians often tend to name bands that they like as influences, even if they don't necessarily sound like them. And I definately hear way more Spector than Beach Boys influences in the Ramones' sound. But that's just my opinion then.

And for the record: I played guitar in a Ramones cover band a few years ago, so I'm somewhat familiar with their music.  Wink
I'm sorry, but in my opinion...your "opinion" is not a well informed one. And please lets not exchange resumes.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 12:40:32 PM »

Oh jeez. C'mon guys!

You know, it seems as if we're talking about Joey here anyway, because he's the one that was enamoured with early '60s rock 'n' roll. I've never read or seen an interview where Dee Dee talks about anything but the New York Dolls or the Stooges or bands like that.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 12:45:15 PM »

I'm sorry, but in my opinion...your "opinion" is not a well informed one. And please lets not exchange resumes.

First of all: an opinion is mostly a matter of personal taste, so being informed or not has nothing to do with it. Someone can for instance say that "Good Vibrations" is a bad song. Than you can't say that that's not a well informed opinion. Even if every music critic in the world writes an essay about how brilliant the chord changes of "Good Vibrations" are or how amazing the arrangement is, if someone just doesn't like the way the thing sounds, than it's that person's opinion that it's not a good song and there's nothing anyone else can do about that. Maybe some Ramones members said that they were influenced by the Beach Boys, that's fine by me, but I just don't hear the resemblance. Spector's girl groups: definately, Beach Boys: hardly. That's just what my ears hear.

Second: you may be better informed than me when it comes to all things Beach Boys, but I'd like to note (not meaning to bragg) that I write for one of the biggest Dutch rock magazines and that punk rock is my 'specialty'... And, like I said, I played in a Ramones cover band, so I know their music. I won't pretend like I'm some kind of authority on the Ramones, but please think twice before you call someone you don't know 'not well informed'.

Third: for the magazine I write for, I've interviewed many bands and read many press sheets and bios, and one of the things I've learned is that bands often just name the 'influences' that they think sound intesting. For instance: almost every emo band nowadays names The Smiths, The Cure and Joy Division as their main influences. They never name any other emo bands. And yet, pretty much every emo bands sounds more like all the other emo bands than the bands I just menitoned.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 01:21:13 PM by shelter » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »

First of all: an opinion is mostly a matter of personal taste, so being informed or not has nothing to do with it. Someone can for instance say that "Good Vibrations" is a bad song. Than you can't say that that's not a well informed opinion. Even if every music critic in the world writes an essay about how brilliant the chord changes of "Good Vibrations" are or how amazing the arrangement is, if someone just doesn't like the way the thing sounds, than it's that person's opinion that it's not a good song and there's nothing anyone else can do about that. Maybe some Ramones members said that they were influenced by the Beach Boys, that's fine by me, but I just don't hear the resemblance. Spector's girl groups: definately, Beach Boys: hardly. That's just what my ears hear.

Second: you may be better informed than me when it comes to all things Beach Boys, but I'd like to note (not meaning to bragg) that I write for one of the biggest Dutch rock magazines and that punk rock is my 'specialty'... And, like I said, I played in a Ramones cover band, so I know their music. I won't pretend like I'm some kind of authority on the Ramones, but please think twice before you call someone you don't know 'not well informed'.

Third: for the magazine I write for, I've interviewed many bands and read many press sheets and bios, and one of the things I've learned is that bands often just name the 'influences' that they think sound intesting. For instance: almost every emo band nowadays names The Smiths, The Cure and Joy Division as their main influences. They never name any other emo bands. And yet, pretty much every emo bands sounds more like all the other emo bands than the bands I just menitoned.
I just wonder why you had to state that you played in a Ramones cover band in your previous post as if that gives your somewhat questionable opinion added credibility? You are bombing me with the resume stuff...I have no idea why. I do know a little something about the Beach Boys, and Spector and hey yeah even the Ramones too. I played in a band that was doing Ramones covers in 1978, I went to my first Ramones show in 1978...I saw them 6 times between 1978 and 1981. I met and talked to Joey and Johnny multiple times, I interviewed Dee Dee, I saw Rock and Roll High School the day it hit the theaters...do i win? Or does that just make me old. I'm not sure if any of that stuff...or who you wrote for, or how many books and articles i've written really mean anything here. Its just the opinion you stated, which was very clear...simple...to the point...we can all understand it...that opinion just made me say "you gotta be kidding?" You just blew off the fact that The Ramones have a serious BB's element to their sound and format as if its even arguable. Wow, and then the next guy mentions stripe shirts which clearly shows his context is waay off too...stripe shirts didn't happen until mid '64 dude...the Ramones lift came from the '62/'63 BB's(that's almost like confusing mod with rockabilly) ...but anyway...I'd surmise that any rock journalist, or fan that is well informed would not say what you did. Its like saying Oasis doesn't really have a Beatles vibe, they have a much greater Joe Meek vibe. huh? Sorry but it just stood out to me. I don't normally call people out on their opinions and i don't mean to be cranky...but that one really caught my attention.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 04:20:10 PM »

While I do hear the Beach Boys in the Ramones, I don't think Oasis sounds like the Beatles at all.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 04:31:20 PM »

I hear a little Beatles in Oasis, especially the second song on "Morning Glory." Not too familiar with their catalogue after that album, though.

As far as the striped-shirts go... well, I made the comment. Abd believe me, I can hear the Beach Boys influence on the Ramones. The latter covered the Beach Boys' version of "Do You Wanna Dance," there can be no doubt about that. But, well, "Surfin' Bird" and "California Sun" might be in the same genre as the Beach Boys (i.e. surf music), but they are more garage-band than the Beach Boys had been since the "Surfer Girl" LP. I can see the correlation between the Pendleton uniforms and the leather jackets worn by the Ramones... hell, just the idea of a uniform in general. I was only pointing out that the Ramones bear a striking resemblance to the rock 'n' roll rebel look of Dion, on an East Coast level.

Anyway, this is all stupid. Who can't hear equal parts Beach Boys and Phil Spector in the Ramones? It's a ridiculous notion. I think the discrepency here is that the Beach Boys came across more squeeky-clean in their early image.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx