gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:21:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The M.I.U. Album
5 - 12 (7.9%)
4 - 22 (14.6%)
3 - 57 (37.7%)
2 - 42 (27.8%)
1 - 17 (11.3%)
0 - 1 (0.7%)
Total Voters: 138

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The M.I.U. Album  (Read 125165 times)
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2012, 06:56:16 AM »

Not the worst album they ever made, but close. Very poor indeed. I'm slightly baffled by some of the enthusiasm expressed here for what is such an atrocious record but each to their own I suppose... There's a few highlights (She's got Rhythm is ok-ish, My Diane is a good, solid track) but mostly it's just appalling. LA was a big, big improvement and doesn't deserve to be stuck on a two-fer with MIU.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »

Not the worst album they ever made, but close. Very poor indeed. I'm slightly baffled by some of the enthusiasm expressed here for what is such an atrocious record but each to their own I suppose... There's a few highlights (She's got Rhythm is ok-ish, My Diane is a good, solid track) but mostly it's just appalling. LA was a big, big improvement and doesn't deserve to be stuck on a two-fer with MIU.

I agree about L.A being a whole lot better. I, personally, feel like in heaven when the boring beyond belief  'Winds Of Change' ends and I hear Carl's amazing voice kicking in with 'Good Timin' '. It's just the best breath of fresh air a Beach Boys fan can get.

A few good songs, namely 'She's Got Rhythm' and 'My Diane' and a couple of decent tunes : 'Sweet Sunday Kinda Love' and 'Hey, Little Tomboy' surrounded by boring, uninspired and dissapointing efforts. A 2.6 rounded up to 3.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »

Also, I prefer the Adult Child material by far. 'Life Is For The Living', 'It's Over Now', 'Everybody Wants To Live' and 'Still I Dream Of It' are definitely better than almost anything from M.I.U. .

Especially 'Everybody Wants To Live', I can't believe how much potential that song has. Just imagine all guys joining Brian for the chorus. It could've been absolutely magical...
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »

I don't really understand why people hate this so much.
Not that it's the greatest thing they ever did...but the majority of the tracks are solid. (In fact, don't tell anyone, but I prefer it to most of the other 70s albums!)

Favorites
She's Got Rhythm
Hey Little Tomboy
Kona Coast
Wontcha Come Out Tonight
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
Matchpoint of Our Love

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2012, 12:41:37 AM »

Anyone heard the Adult Child version of Hey Little Tomboy? 'Ok, now shave your legs for the first time'. Oh. My. God.

How is it not a single member thought to say 'Er... hang on, isn't this massively inappropriate, even for 1978??'
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2012, 02:33:16 AM »

Anyone heard the Adult Child version of Hey Little Tomboy? 'Ok, now shave your legs for the first time'. Oh. My. God.

How is it not a single member thought to say 'Er... hang on, isn't this massively inappropriate, even for 1978??'
I can just imagine Brian and Dennis grinning like two very hairy Cheshire cats throughout the writing/recording process.  Grin I think all their songs about little girls are kinda cool (and there are a few). Sue me. Peggy Sue me.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2012, 03:38:46 AM »

Sweet Sunday Love is great!

I think Matchpoint of our Love is also genuinely great now and this disturbs me a little bit.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2012, 07:07:58 AM »

I listened to this on vinyl again, all the way through, and (don't hurt me, please), I find this a solid album. There's some cheese, yeah, but I enjoy this a lot more than Holland or Carl/Passions, or hell, Surf's Up. Of course, Surf's Up's highs (title track, Til I Die) are much higher, but in terms of a unified, pleasant listen, I would choose this.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »

I quite like this album....prolly more than one should. I just like the slick production that never shows up anywhere else in the catalog....it's no Love You and it's no L.A....it's coulda been a happy medium type of thing. It's an album that doesn't sound like it's had any left overs from other albums...all the songs sound like they're from one era.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: May 19, 2012, 02:30:41 AM »

it does though, doesn§t it_ come go with me and peggy sue are from 15 Big Ones, MY Diane and Hey Little School girl were recorded late 76. But soundwise, they dont really stick out, if that is what you mean.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2012, 05:12:41 AM »

it does though, doesn§t it_ come go with me and peggy sue are from 15 Big Ones, MY Diane and Hey Little School girl were recorded late 76. But soundwise, they dont really stick out, if that is what you mean.
exactly

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »

I've avoided this album for a long time now, but finally caved and listened to it without any expectations a few weeks ago.
It might be blasphemy, but I think that "She's Got Rhythm" (yes, I LOVE the forced falsetto on it), "Wontcha Come Out Tonight?", "Pitter Patter", and "My Diane" are on par with any of their better tracks that were actually written in the 70s. Smile outtakes excluded.
Mark H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »

I've always enjoyed MIU and think that (production aside) most of the B.Wilson tracks here would fit perfectly on Love You.

The two covers, Belles of Paris and Winds of Change I can take or leave whilst Pitter Patter I love!

I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5.  As a 'start to finish' listening experience I would put it on par maybe with L.A, above 15BO (too many covers for me) and below Love You.

Nice to read some M.I.U love in this thread though Smiley
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:04 AM »

Nice to read some M.I.U love in this thread though Smiley

Agreed, it's an album I enjoy and it's not very often you hear much positivity about it.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »

listened to it right now, it's a true 2. If one looks at it with reason that is. all you fanatics giving it a 4 and stuff is quite hilarious.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2012, 06:28:18 AM »

Why the f*** am I enjoying some of the stuff from this album so much today?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

After 2 years since reading in Carlin's book how BAD this album is, I finally broke down and bought the album tonight.

I don't see what's so atrocious about it. I actually thoroughly enjoy it!

She's Got Rhythm is a fantastic opener to the album. The coda for Kona Coast is a nice throwback, and they pull it off well. The chorus of Belles of Paris is really catchy, Pitter Patter is great!

MY DIANE. Had I known there was a song this good on this album I'd've bought it 2 years ago. So good.

You can tell a lot of work went into this album - the vocals are polished, every backing track is fantastic. I'm glad I bought this!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »

Agree with you on everything besides Belles of Paris. that song's one of my least favorite Beach Boys songs. and I'm a Mike Love apologist!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2012, 10:59:51 PM »

After 2 years since reading in Carlin's book how BAD this album is, I finally broke down and bought the album tonight.

I don't see what's so atrocious about it. I actually thoroughly enjoy it!

She's Got Rhythm is a fantastic opener to the album. The coda for Kona Coast is a nice throwback, and they pull it off well. The chorus of Belles of Paris is really catchy, Pitter Patter is great!

MY DIANE. Had I known there was a song this good on this album I'd've bought it 2 years ago. So good.

You can tell a lot of work went into this album - the vocals are polished, every backing track is fantastic. I'm glad I bought this!

On first listen, back in '01, I was also suprised and perplexed as to why MIU had such a bad rap, and I felt the experience was very enjoyable.

However, this enjoyment deteriorated rapidly, nay, evaporated the very next time I played it and it's rare for me to seek out anything other than My Diane  from this little baffler.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 09, 2012, 11:26:21 AM »

@Aegir: Mike's lead is terrible, but I love this backing track and chorus!

@Alholio71: Perhaps it will lose it's luster, but after my 3rd listening I'm still enjoying this album. Obviously not Pet Sounds material, but it has a charm to it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »

@Alholio71: Perhaps it will lose it's luster, but after my 3rd listening I'm still enjoying this album. Obviously not Pet Sounds material, but it has a charm to it!

Good for you, Rab! Rock!  I hope it never loses it's sheen for ya

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 10, 2012, 06:37:10 AM »

I've liked this album since the first time I heard it. I don't listen to it often, but I don't think it's an album that fades over time if you like most of what's on it.

Manchini
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 10, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »

I love MIU. "She's Got Rhythm" is an awesome opener, love that first note. Both covers kick ass: "Come Go With Me" was one of my favorite songs in my early fan days, and "Peggy Sue" is a great production. "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" is one of my favorite Beach Boys songs in all around. I skip "Belles of Paris" but I still think it's a nice track and nice vocals, just not much of a melody there. "Winds of Change" is a wistful tune, I think it's a good closer.

Oh, and "Hey Little Tomboy" is a f***ing good song. I've seen people say that not only is it tasteless, but it's not a good song. I don't get that - I think it's a really cool melody, and the chord changes are undeniably clever.

I'm not even convinced that MIU is worse than LA (Light Album). Now, I love LA Album, but not a single track on MIU bores me as much as "Going South" and "Baby Blue" do. The disco "Here Comes the Night" is fun but too long and mostly useless, and the LA version of "Shortenin' Bread" is total fucking dogshit compared to the Adult Child one.

Overall, not quite as consistent as Love You, and not as good as a release along the lines of Adult Child would've been, but I could easily give it 4 stars.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:24:45 PM by Manchini » Logged
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2012, 02:42:28 PM »

Oh no, now I discovered 'MIU'...my life continues to change, my BBs obsession is driving friends away, work colleagues to look weird at me and my girlfriend to get mad whenever I put 'Matchpoint' on replay mode.

Thank you very much Smiley board  Embarrassed

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2012, 02:53:55 PM »

LOL
Dude, get a match, strike the point, and set fire to whatever medium you're using to play that horror - it's your only option
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 03:09:31 PM by Alholio71 » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx