gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:02:20 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who's Idea was it to put Sloop John B on PS--Brian's or Capitol's?  (Read 21692 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2006, 01:37:26 PM »

You trivia-pwned him.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2006, 01:39:22 PM »

This guy isn't a troll.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jason
« Reply #102 on: February 14, 2006, 01:40:49 PM »

You trivia-pwned him.

With an easy question, no less.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2006, 07:14:55 PM »

Brian could have left caroline no off of Pet Sounds and it wouldn't of bothered me one bit.

Shocked
My original CDR that I burned of Pet Sounds that supposedly had all the songs on one soundfile doesn't even have Caroline No! Took me almost two years to notice!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2006, 07:16:52 PM »

(must..resist...comment...can't...resist....aaagghhh....)

Why download the album when you can buy the bloody thing?  Download unreleased stuff, but when you pirate, you ruin it for everyone
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2006, 07:36:19 PM »

I'm sorry, I have no excuse. I admit it; I'm a song-stealer.

I buy lots of albums, but the ones I think I can easily find through other means, I do.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2006, 06:47:43 AM »

I just want to chime in and say this has turned into a very good thread! I love the fact that the SJB bashers are, for once, in the minority. It fits it's spot on PS to a T!!! Fact!!!

Alright, let me try to get it the other way, then!   Grin

I love "Sloop John B", but it doesn't work at all on the Pet Sounds album for me.  It feels totally out of place and one of these days I'm going to finally burn me a copy that doesn't have "Sloop John B" and has the speed corrected version of "Caroline, No", then I'll have my perfect version of "Pet Sounds".    Cool

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2006, 08:54:43 AM »

Dan, it's your option to do so. But -- it'll be pretty darn short AND you'll lose the upward key-changes that are built into the structure of the album.

(Now that the key thing has been made apparent, I wonder if THAT is the actual reason for speeding up Caroline no?)

I still don't understand why it feels so out of place for some -- the travelogue-themed tunes began two cuts earlier, and the sentiments in GOK certainly seem to be 'arrived at'. By that I mean the character/narrator of PS had to get out and have some experiences, some very bad, before getting to that place where he truly appreciates what she means to him in real terms rather the fantasyland notions that started everything in Wouldn't It Be Nice. This in turn makes the bittersweet ending, where SHE has grown, changed, and in fact moved on all the more poignant, IMO.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2006, 09:26:13 AM »

I love SJB.  It sounds great on Pet Sounds.  It fits with that youthful angst and searching theme of the album in a whimsical sort of way.

It was the TITLE TRACK that was thrown in and doesn't particularly fit one way or the other.

I've been watching the James bond festival on cable and I think that Run James Run not being used in a Bond movie was a great loss to our nation and to 60's pop culture Angry
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2006, 03:06:43 PM »

Okay, I just want to put in my three cents on "Sloop John B."

I really doubt that Al was THE reason that Brian even recorded it. I really think it was probably on his radar screen for a long time, but that maybe it was Jardine's suggestion that basically made Brian decide "Okay, if one of my bandmates thinks we should, then let's do it." Brian is known for wanting to do things but not actually doing them without support from other band members. [Cases in point: Smile, and a couple of on-the-road decisions in recent years that he was afraid to make without his other band members assuring him his ideas were okay.]

Dig...."Sloop John B" was a popular tune anyway. If you read Carlin, you'll see that BRIAN HIMSELF sang it before with friends. Also, didn't they record it during the Recorded "Live" at a...Beach Boys' Party! sessions? Which of course were September 1965; SJB was, what?, November?

Let's check something else out, too...

On Surfin' USA, the Beach Boys covered "Let's Go Trippin'" and "Misirlou," both of which were popularized by Dick Dale, and both are on Surfer's Choice, which can be argued to be Dick Dale's most popular album by far. (BTW - those of you who haven't heard the album, it's a different version of "Misirlou" from what we're all familiar with -- it's got the same double-picking twangy guitar and everything, but it also has a string section; and it's called "Misirlou Twist" on the album.)

And you know that "Fanny Mae" riff that David Leaf mentioned in the Today!/Summer Days... liner notes in the description for the original "Help Me, Ronda"? Well, "Fanny Mae" is also covered on Surfer's Choice, complete with the harmonica riffs. That means there are THREE things the Beach Boys did that were on Surfer's Choice.

Guess what song is ALSO on Surfer's Choice, including vocals.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2006, 03:15:09 PM »

@37: Very interesting idea. Though I don't agree with all your thoughts, I think this is quite realistc. But I don't know if Brian really listened to Dick Dale very much. It was Carl who was into that I think.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2006, 07:34:18 PM »

Also, didn't they record it during the Recorded "Live" at a...Beach Boys' Party! sessions? Which of course were September 1965; SJB was, what?, November?

Did they? Is this on any bootlegs?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2006, 11:26:39 PM »

Also, didn't they record it during the Recorded "Live" at a...Beach Boys' Party! sessions? Which of course were September 1965; SJB was, what?, November?

I've never heard of them doing "Sloop" during the Party ! sessions, and it's not on the SOT boot. Anyone ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Carrie Marks
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2006, 03:59:11 AM »

@37: Very interesting idea. Though I don't agree with all your thoughts, I think this is quite realistc. But I don't know if Brian really listened to Dick Dale very much. It was Carl who was into that I think.

Sloop John B was part of the Beach Boys live repertoire from the start...a staple in their '62-'63 shows and that's because David and Carl wanted to add it to the set after hearing Dick Dale's version.  Maybe Al or Capitol suggested Brian record it...but the band had adopted that song long before Pet Sounds.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 18, 2006, 04:34:07 AM »

Sloop John B was part of the Beach Boys live repertoire from the start...a staple in their '62-'63 shows and that's because David and Carl wanted to add it to the set after hearing Dick Dale's version.  Maybe Al or Capitol suggested Brian record it...but the band had adopted that song long before Pet Sounds.

Now that's good to know. Thank you !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2006, 04:43:34 AM »

Mabe I should start a new thread for this one , but I'll mention it here as it was mentioned on a post or previously on this thread.
Re; Caroline No speed changing.

I don't like the slow version, Brian's vocal sounds.....well.. slowed down on it.
I've heard how Murray suggested that Brian Speed it up etc. But it sounds to me that Murray may have made this suggestion after the track was cut and PRIOR to the vocal being cut.
 What I'm suggesting is that brian cut the track , murray tells him to speed it up, brian does so and mixes it to one track of another multitrack at the new speed. He then overdubs the vocal.
I'm only suggesting this because to me the vocal on the slow version sounds like brian slowed down.
Of course I'm perfectly willing to be told I'm wrong  Grin
Mark L will know. if the vocal multitrack sounds like the album when played at 15ips then I'm right.  If not......I guess I'm dumb.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2006, 06:16:12 AM »

richard --

I have a similar theory about "It's Over Now." On most of the bootlegs, the song plays a bit faster than it does on disc 3 of Good Vibrations. Mark Linett [sp??] swore up and down that the song was mastered at the correct speed. However:
- Carl's voice sounds more natural and less...drunk...on the faster version.
- Marilyn actually sounds like a woman on the faster version. In fact, I didn't even KNOW that was a woman until I heard the bootleg!

On the other hand, as it is on disc 3, it's in the same key as Brian's demo.

My thinking is that Brian recorded the song in F#, but when Carl and Marilyn overdubbed their vocals, the playback was in G, so their voices are lowered when the tape is played back at original speed.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx