gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:52:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your favorite Beach Boys soundalike group?  (Read 18062 times)
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2009, 09:30:22 AM »

Velvet Crush has an album titled "Teenage Symphonies to God".  Unfortunately, it sounds more like the Gin Blossoms than the Beach Boys.  It's still a good listen.
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2009, 05:53:04 AM »

Fleet Foxes are great! Lots of vocal harmonies.

Check out this song at 2mins28secs for a very SMiLE-like section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugxXqqGepCU
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2009, 06:16:20 AM »

Best ever: Side 1 of the album 'Sons Of The Beaches' by Flash Caddillac & The Continental Kids. The songs 'Time Will Tell' and 'Summer Night' would have done any pre-Pet Sounds album proud. I mean it, maaannn!

Further tips: The Flaming Groovies: 'Good Laugh Mun' (from Now!), Dave Edmunds: 'Where Or When', 'Little Darlin'' (from Get It), and of course 'London Is A Lonely Town' (a cover of the Tradewinds' 'New York Is A Lonely Town'), was a single, is available on Pebbles Vol. IV).

I don't know if the debut by the Shoes (Black Vinyl Shoes) can be classified as a BBs tribute album. But it surely is power pop at its finest, with great vocals and harmonies.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:17:24 AM by The Heartical Don » Logged

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2009, 08:35:24 AM »

Best ever: Side 1 of the album 'Sons Of The Beaches' by Flash Caddillac & The Continental Kids. The songs 'Time Will Tell' and 'Summer Night' would have done any pre-Pet Sounds album proud. I mean it, maaannn!

And, of course, their cover of "Summer Means Fun" from that same album....

I was just listening to Chicago's "Wishing You Were Here"; and, it never hit me before, but that would've been the perfect song for The Beach Boys to either perform live or record. Just picture Dennis singing Terry Kath's parts, including "Even though you're far away you're on my mind....", and Carl singing Peter Cetera's part, "And I'd like to change my life and you know I would....". Perfect fit.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 01:46:05 PM »

The Welsh band Super Furry Animals have been known to cite the 'Surfs Up' lp as their favorite album, and have a bunch of songs where they sound just like the songs from the period. I recommend them.
What songs do you have in mind? I have a lot of SFA mp3s that I downloaded after my Welsh teacher played us "Y Teimlad", which has a great Beach Boys-esque chorus but I haven't got around to listen to them yet.

it's all good really. You might want to try Rings Around the world, Hello Sunshine, Ysbediau Heulog, Fire In My Heart, Northern Lites, and their Hey Venus! record - Most of it's got a Sunflower/Smiley kind of feel

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 05:09:53 PM »

The Welsh band Super Furry Animals have been known to cite the 'Surfs Up' lp as their favorite album, and have a bunch of songs where they sound just like the songs from the period. I recommend them.
What songs do you have in mind? I have a lot of SFA mp3s that I downloaded after my Welsh teacher played us "Y Teimlad", which has a great Beach Boys-esque chorus but I haven't got around to listen to them yet.

it's all good really. You might want to try Rings Around the world, Hello Sunshine, Ysbediau Heulog, Fire In My Heart, Northern Lites, and their Hey Venus! record - Most of it's got a Sunflower/Smiley kind of feel

Sorry that I missed that for a few days...

I'd recomend the singles "The Gift That Keeps Giving" and "Show Your Hand" for sounding VERY 'Surf's Up' era BB. The entire "Rings Around the World" album is highly recommended. They actually have a new album out today, and I'm just starting to put it on now. So far, very good.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2009, 06:28:13 AM »

Follow up:

For anyone who might be midly interested, the brand new Super Furry Animals album is FANTASTIC. Possibly there best, and that's not any easy claim for me to make. Simply, a whole lot of fun.

If you're interested and would like to hear, it's currently only for download for a month from their website: "www.superfurry.com", and is well-worth the asking price.

End rant.
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »

I enjoy the Mailbus, total  BB & Jan & Dean influence - Matt Tyson does a great job or writing 21st century beach songs:

http://www.myspace.com/themalibusnow

www.cdbaby.com/cd/malibus

Phil

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »

Was just listening to some AM Radio Hits, and was enjoying "I Need You" by America. So many of these oldies would've and could still be good songs for the Beach Boys to cover. However, and sadly, I usually think of Carl Wilson as the best "fit" for the lead vocal part. "I Need You" is kinda Beach Boyish. And, I wouldn't mind hearing a mellow, "All I Wanna Do"-like Mike Love lead with a group of harmonies featuring Brian on top. I don't think "I Need You" has been covered by a major group. Just thinking out loud.... police
SG7
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2009, 12:37:27 PM »

Paul Steel has a great BB sounding song called "In a Coma." Really like that song.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2009, 05:36:59 AM »

If you're looking for a more Dennis - soundalike, try Eels. the Blinking Lights record is essential

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx