gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:31:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Friends
5 - 106 (54.4%)
4 - 67 (34.4%)
3 - 18 (9.2%)
2 - 2 (1%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 182

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friends  (Read 119950 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2005, 09:25:06 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Friends, released June 1968.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 01:15:25 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 12:35:50 AM »

Gorgeous. A modest triumph. The TM song is, well, ironically discordant, but the rest is blissful. Replace TM with "I Went To Sleep" and you have the perfect summer album to cool out by/with/to. Four and a half stars, rounded up.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
APPLEI
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 06:53:08 AM »

satisfying is the word that desribes FRIENDS
i believe it was released around the time bobby kennedy was killed
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 07:42:16 AM »

Friends generates a nice, pleasant "AAaaahahhhhhhhhh..." out of me every time. Not quite perfect -- you'd have had to include some things like Time to Get Alone, I Went To Sleep and maybe finished versions of something like Lonely Days for that. But it is wonderful, relaxed and subtle, high-quality music that is so understated it would be easy to not notice it. It was the third BB disc I purchased, and it's always been a favorite.

As an amusing aside, a friend of mine is working toward his doctorate in music composition at the local university, and he 1) doesn't even like the BBs, but loves this album, and 2) uses several of these tracks in his course on pop music, showing how good writers can use 3/4 time, showing how to write outside of a standard aaba form, etc. Last year he brought me in to guest lecture on the Beach Boys! (OK, that was completely out of the topic. Sorry.)

I love Friends. I'd give it a 4.65 if we could use fractions, but I will instead have to round up.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 01:15:34 PM »

Flawed. Insane. Brilliant. 'Nuff said.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 01:19:04 PM »

5. Completely genius in every way.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 05:10:21 AM »

Like "Pet Sounds", another that everyone hails as a triumph that doesn't connect with me much at all.

Could any album with "When a Man Loves a Woman" and "Be Still" on really be 'perfect'?

The gorgeous title track kicks the sh*t out of everything else, production-wise, and there are a few truly beautiful songs "Diamond Head, Little Bird, Passing By" and many that are just two minutes of... well, nothing.  Things with no emotional weight, things that just literally do absolutely nothing (Be Here in the Mornin', Transcendental Meditation, Anna Lee) for their duration.

2 1/2.   Sounds even more detatched to me than Smiley.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 12:05:37 PM »

Sweet album. Very flowy. Doesn't get a lot of play from me but I like it. I find it nicely mellow. I find the TM track more funny then annoying.

3 1/2 - 4 stars  Grin
Jason
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 12:08:41 PM »

You have it on vinyl, I'm jealous!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 12:14:27 PM »

It's pretty easy to find the Brother vinyl twofer. That's the one to grab, the quality is streets beyond the Capitol. Same for ALL the Capitol LP's, from PS on.

SurferGirl7
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 12:17:19 PM »

Yeah that's how I got Friends with Smiley Smile. There is always ebay too  Grin
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »

Oh... Friends! I though it said Fiends?!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 08:13:30 PM »

My favorite Beach Boys album, and the least favorite of anyone that's been in the room/car when I've been listening to it.

The vocals are amazing, the lyrics are peaceful, and the entire album gives me a nice, soothing feeling... until Transcendental Meditation, a rocking tune that sends you back to the real world.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 08:26:51 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous.  Someone once said that if there was ever an album to base a religion on, Friends would be it.  I agree wholeheartedly.  This album has so much great chillout music and the human element in so many of the songs totally seal the deal.  Two huge greasy thumbs up.  A shameless 5!

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 08:39:08 PM »

Someone once said that if there was ever an album to base a religion on, [blank] would be it. 

This would be a cool thread in the General Music Discussion section.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 08:40:07 PM »

Do it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 08:41:03 PM »

You.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 08:43:13 PM »

OK.

Chris D.
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 09:56:33 AM »

Like "Pet Sounds", another that everyone hails as a triumph that doesn't connect with me much at all.

Could any album with "When a Man Loves a Woman" and "Be Still" on really be 'perfect'?

f*** yeah.  If I could, I'd hump it.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 11:00:44 AM »

foda yeah.  If I could, I'd hump it.

Me, too.  LOVE this album....it's got a gentle vibe that isn't duplicated anywhere else in the BB ouvre. 

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »

Friends is a favorite of mine, but add on Time to Get Alone, Were Together Again, and I Went to Sleep and it's a 5 star album.  Considering those would have perfectly fit in with the other slow waltzs and they were written and probably recorded the same time as the other tracks. 
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 08:50:09 AM »

Friends is a favorite of mine, but add on Time to Get Alone, Were Together Again, and I Went to Sleep and it's a 5 star album.  Considering those would have perfectly fit in with the other slow waltzs and they were written and probably recorded the same time as the other tracks. 

Lot's of people call out TM as the "off" track for Friends. When I first heard the album I thought it was a great track and had a cool drum sound.

I can't imagine the album closing with "I Went To Sleep" it'd be almost too calm and serene, I think it needs that jolt at the end with the TM song.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 08:53:02 AM »

I absolutely love Transcendental Meditation. The saxes are awesome, the feel is jazzy and really unique to the Beach Boys, and Brian's singing is really cool and 'out there'.

Watch out for snakes!
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 11:19:03 AM »

I give it a 3. Very average for me. I tend to rate the album based on the strength of the songs, and there are a lack of classics on this one as far as I see it. A lot of the songs seem to just meander along without really going anywhere. Never been a big fan of "Busy Doin' Nothing". I guess if you can get into the whole "laid back" feel it could be more enjoyable.

That being said, there are tunes on the album I really like. Mainly the title song, "Little Bird", and I LOVE Transcendental Meditation.

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 11:38:33 AM »

I'd have babies with this album if I could.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx