gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680996 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 10:54:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Friends
5 - 106 (54.4%)
4 - 67 (34.4%)
3 - 18 (9.2%)
2 - 2 (1%)
1 - 1 (0.5%)
0 - 1 (0.5%)
Total Voters: 182

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Friends  (Read 124936 times)
DefMode66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2010, 09:43:02 AM »

Friends is the 14th studio album of the Beach Boys. Released in June of '68 the album  takes full advantage a very talented Dennis Wilson on "Be Still" and "Little Bird. Still a very talented band the Beach Boys sound continues to shine. Interestingly Friends only managed to hit #126 in the US but was highly successful in the UK hitting #13. Mike was MIA for most of the album to concentrate on transcendental meditation. Mike returned in March '68 to complete his vocal sessions.   

Side one
"Meant for You" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) – 0:38
Features Mike Love on lead vocals
"Friends" (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Dennis Wilson/Al Jardine) – 2:30
Features Carl Wilson on lead vocals
"Wake the World" (Brian Wilson/Al Jardine) – 1:28
Features Brian Wilson and Carl Wilson on lead vocals
"Be Here in the Mornin' " (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Mike Love/Dennis Wilson/Al Jardine) – 2:16
Features Alan Jardine [sped-up], Brian Wilson and Carl Wilson on lead vocals
"When a Man Needs a Woman" (Brian Wilson/Dennis Wilson/Carl Wilson/Al Jardine/Steve Korthof/Jon Parks) – 2:06
Features Brian Wilson on lead vocals
"Passing By" (Brian Wilson) – 2:23
Features Brian Wilson and Al Jardine on lead vocals

Side two
"Anna Lee, the Healer" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) – 1:51
"Little Bird" (Dennis Wilson/Steve Kalinich/Brian Wilson [uncredited]) – 1:57
Features Dennis Wilson on lead vocals
"Be Still" (Dennis Wilson/Steve Kalinich) – 1:22
"Busy Doin' Nothin'" (Brian Wilson) – 3:04
"Diamond Head" (Al Vescovo/Lyle Ritz/Jim Ackley/Brian Wilson) – 3:37
Instrumental
"Transcendental Meditation" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love/Al Jardine) – 1:49

Foreign editions
The Australian release of Friends had "Good Vibrations" replace "Diamond Head" on Side 2.

The Japanese release of Friends added "Do It Again" as the first song on Side 2.

Singles
"Friends" b/w "Little Bird" (Capitol 2160), 8 April 1968 US #47; UK #25
"Wake the World" featured as the B-side of "Do It Again"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:45:35 AM by DefMode66 » Logged
tomstuart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2010, 03:02:31 PM »

If only they'd ended with We're Together Again - which would have perfectly brought the whole friendship theme from the opening two tracks back again for the close - instead of with Transdental Meditation than i'd have given this album a 5. As it is, a very healthy 4.
Be Here In The Mornin' my fave track - experimental, melodic, witty, fantastic track. I also love Little Bird and Busy Doin' Nothin'. And some great instrumentals - Diamond Head takes some really interesting and weird routes.
In my top ten, if not my top five.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2010, 12:00:17 PM »

Friends is the 14th studio album of the Beach Boys. Released in June of '68 the album  takes full advantage a very talented Dennis Wilson on "Be Still" and "Little Bird. Still a very talented band the Beach Boys sound continues to shine. Interestingly Friends only managed to hit #126 in the US but was highly successful in the UK hitting #13. Mike was MIA for most of the album to concentrate on transcendental meditation. Mike returned in March '68 to complete his vocal sessions.   

Side one
"Meant for You" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) – 0:38
"Friends" (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Dennis Wilson/Al Jardine) – 2:30
Features Carl Wilson on lead vocals
"Wake the World" (Brian Wilson/Al Jardine) – 1:28
Features Brian Wilson and Carl Wilson on lead vocals
"Be Here in the Mornin' " (Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Mike Love/Dennis Wilson/Al Jardine) – 2:16
Features Alan Jardine [sped-up], Brian Wilson and Carl Wilson on lead vocals
"When a Man Needs a Woman" (Brian Wilson/Dennis Wilson/Carl Wilson/Al Jardine/Steve Korthof/Jon Parks) – 2:06
"Passing By" (Brian Wilson) – 2:23
Features Brian Wilson and Al Jardine on lead vocals

Side two
"Anna Lee, the Healer" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love) – 1:51
"Little Bird" (Dennis Wilson/Steve Kalinich/Brian Wilson [uncredited]) – 1:57
"Be Still" (Dennis Wilson/Steve Kalinich) – 1:22
"Busy Doin' Nothin'" (Brian Wilson) – 3:04
"Diamond Head" (Al Vescovo/Lyle Ritz/Jim Ackley/Brian Wilson) – 3:37
Instrumental
"Transcendental Meditation" (Brian Wilson/Mike Love/Al Jardine) – 1:49

Foreign editions
The Australian release of Friends had "Good Vibrations" replace "Diamond Head" on Side 2.

The Japanese release of Friends added "Do It Again" as the first song on Side 2.

Singles
"Friends" b/w "Little Bird" (Capitol 2160), 8 April 1968 US #47; UK #25
"Wake the World" featured as the B-side of "Do It Again"

I apoligize in advance if I come off like a twat here, but I'm sure everyone here knows the stats on all of the BB albums...this is where the hardcore fans hang out...it's not n00b city.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2010, 12:52:55 PM »

1) Meant For You 5/5.  Short and sweet the album states it's intentions right up front.
2) Friends 5/5.  Could be their most underrated single of the "second golden era". Much more complex musically beneath the surface then you might realise I suspect.
3) Wake The World 5/5. Lightweight beyond belief yet none the less enjoyable for it.
4) Be Here in the Morning 5/5. See comment above. (Also marks the start of the whole Al sounding just like Brian thing).
5) When a Man Needs a Woman 4/5. A little too sugary perhaps but nice enough.
6) Passing By 5/5. Beautiful track. Can't really say more.
7) Anna Lee The Healer 3/5. Nice harmonies but by this point the band are in danger of being out rocked by Herman's Hermits.
Cool Little Bird 3/5. Nice enough but let's face it within a year the man's compostions would be blowing this out of the water.
9) Be Still 4/5. Dennis looking deep into his soul. Won't be the last time.
10) Busy Doin' Nothin' 2/5. Proof positive why Brian wrote the music and Mike the words. Again much more musically complex than you might think at first listen.
11) Diamond Head 3/5. If "All Summer Long" and "Smile" were to make sweet love this would be their bastard offspring.
12) Transcendental Meditation 5/5. Someone switches Brian's Valium for Purple Hearts on this one as the mellow chill fest is shattered by Al and Brian wailing somewhat off key to wacky sax on this jazzy groover.

Final rating 4/5
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 12:56:14 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2010, 11:59:09 PM »

I don't think there is a song on this album I don't like. Even some of the less popular songs on the albums blow me away. Like, for example, the middle section of "Diamond Head" transports somewhere else every time I listen to it, and I honestly can't get enough of the harmonies on "Anna Lee, the Healer".  Sometimes I'll admit that I'm not in the mood for the organ drones of "Be Still", but it's still not a good song. Also, while the vocal take of "Transcendental Meditation" is cute and a nice joke, I'll oftentimes wish I could hear a more fully realized version.  Still, definitely a 5/5 for me.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2010, 04:23:03 PM »

As everyone else has said, the album has this perfect relaxing atmosphere to it. It's great.
Though I personally would've replaced "Anna Lee" with "I Went to Sleep" and "Transcendental Meditation" with "Time to Get Alone".
LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2010, 05:07:08 PM »

5. When a Man Needs a Woman is a bit weak, but still not enough to keep it from being a 5 for me. I actually like Transcendental Meditation. It sounds like something George Harrison would write with all the dissonance. Past TM, it is a relaxing album to listen to.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 14, 2010, 06:51:54 AM »

Five Stars.

I'd rate this my 2nd favorite Beach Boys album (Behind Pet Sounds). From the bass line in 'Little Bird' to the ocean feel of 'Diamond Head' this album is perfect - until the last song...

My View On 'Transcendental Meditation':

Just imagine yourself having listened to the entire 'Pet Sounds' album; you are on the closing bars of 'Caroline, No' - seconds later, 'Transcendental Meditation' comes blasting through the speakers. This is how annoying I find that song. It is so out of place on the album.

Other than that song (which I just skip whenever listening to 'Friends') I find the album to be one of my favorites. It has every element that makes a good record.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2010, 09:51:25 AM »

Wow! I must be the only person who likes that song (Transcendental Meditation). That's actually one of my favourite songs from the album. I just love Brian's vocal on that one
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:47 PM »

Wow! I must be the only person who likes that song (Transcendental Meditation). That's actually one of my favourite songs from the album. I just love Brian's vocal on that one

I like it too, in fact I love it. Great song to end a great album. 5/5
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2010, 12:52:15 PM »

I would have a threesome with this album and 'Wild Honey'.  'Smiley Smile' and '20/20' could watch.
SmileySam
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 23, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »

I would have a threesome with this album and 'Wild Honey'.  'Smiley Smile' and '20/20' could watch.

LOL I'll invite Sunflower too! But for gosh sakes, don't even think of inviting 15 Big Ones. He's such a buzz-kill
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 24, 2010, 05:36:22 PM »

i'm baaaaaaack!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 24, 2010, 06:16:06 PM »

i'm baaaaaaack!
Lovely. Who are you, and when and why were you gone?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 24, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »

i'm baaaaaaack!
Lovely. Who are you, and when and why were you gone?
Luther, i'm the guy that turned a blind eye into the sky, then flew back down...
             cursed the concrete, and hit the street, pounded out a 4/4 beat.

i was thusly exiled when i had crushed a smile back in 2005.

Now i'm reborn again. Living in the Pac-northwest. I promise to be good.
 Hood.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:24:34 PM by Lorenschwartz » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 24, 2010, 07:02:03 PM »

Grand.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 22, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »

Listening very carefully to Busy Doin' Nothing, I think there is a theremin line buried underneath the mix coming out of the right channel, at the start of the second verse. Has anyone else noticed it?
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 22, 2011, 12:17:12 PM »

I did! It's quite easy to hear when you OOPS it.

A discipline daddy.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2011, 07:09:26 PM »

Listening very carefully to Busy Doin' Nothing, I think there is a theremin line buried underneath the mix coming out of the right channel, at the start of the second verse. Has anyone else noticed it?

I'm listening to Friends right now with my studio monitor headphones - I can't believe I haven't tried listening to this album with these headphones before. Definitely heard the theremin and I'm also hearing so many different sounds that I've never heard before....such as:

:28 seconds into 'Wake the World' there is some very distant background chatter - it is incredibly faint. There is also some chatter around the 1:21 mark.
At exactly 1:23 into 'Be Here In The Mornin'' there is a short and faint high-pitched humming coming out of the left speaker.
At :44 in 'When A Man Needs A Woman' someone says "yeah" - I can only hear this on my headphones. Also, there sounds like there is a separate vocal recording around the 1:42 mark - it's a falsetto being sung in the same key - I can't understand the lyrics, but the melody fits the song perfectly...unfortunately it is buried in the mix.

This album is incredible. Okay, totally happy that the SMiLE boxset is coming out, but I'd be really happy if I had a Friends boxset too! Please!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2011, 07:17:38 PM »

Friends boxset yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2011, 07:24:01 PM »

Haven't tried it yet, but am going to try it in the dark with headphones later on...However rab I couldn't wait to tell you how much I love your new avatar!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »

Haven't tried it yet, but am going to try it in the dark with headphones later on...However rab I couldn't wait to tell you how much I love your new avatar!

LOL thanks! The world just wouldn't be the same without Gary Abusey!

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »

I'm listening to Friends right now with my studio monitor headphones - I can't believe I haven't tried listening to this album with these headphones before. Definitely heard the theremin and I'm also hearing so many different sounds that I've never heard before....such as:

:28 seconds into 'Wake the World' there is some very distant background chatter - it is incredibly faint. There is also some chatter around the 1:21 mark.
At exactly 1:23 into 'Be Here In The Mornin'' there is a short and faint high-pitched humming coming out of the left speaker.
At :44 in 'When A Man Needs A Woman' someone says "yeah" - I can only hear this on my headphones. Also, there sounds like there is a separate vocal recording around the 1:42 mark - it's a falsetto being sung in the same key - I can't understand the lyrics, but the melody fits the song perfectly...unfortunately it is buried in the mix.

This album is incredible. Okay, totally happy that the SMiLE boxset is coming out, but I'd be really happy if I had a Friends boxset too! Please!

Agreed. On WAMNAW I've always thought the extra vocals are actually a kid or baby. Also right after that part listen for the extra strong kick, which I guess is like a baby kicking in the womb.
I also love the doorbell on the chorus of Be Here in The Mornin'

This is secretly Brian's best album.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »

This is secretly Brian's best album.
And maybe not even that well-kept a secret. Really great as it is, with the depth and intelligence but without any pretentiousness.

Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2011, 05:13:42 PM »

I always loved how the title cut was a waltz. Musically it's really great, like the opposite of Heroes and Villains, as that song "goes all the way down" Friends goes all the way up, like a Friendship growing stronger and stronger. The stumbling waltz rhythm is like the give and take, the dance of friendship.

A lot of the songs are really clever like that, Busy Doin' Nothing and Passing By especially. Brian just did really well on them.

There doesn't seem to be much of anything that was recorded that didn't end up on the album, "Spanish Guitar Instrumental" was from Friend's sessions. Then there's "You're As Cool As You Can Be" and "Untitled #1". So there's probably not much that could be put on a Friends sessions box. Those songs were probably only fragments anyway.

What other songs would you guys put on Friends? I Went to Sleep? Time To Get Alone? We're Together Again? Ol' Man River? Walk On By?

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx