gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 06:31:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stars & Stripes-sessions  (Read 9500 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:45:03 AM »

I'm listening to this CD these last days and I wonder if some of the falsetto-parts were done by Brian (doubled probably with Matt or whoever). "Be true to your school" and "I get around" both made me think about this. Does anybody know? Mr Boyd?
To hear how great the Boys sounded makes one sad that no new album was released back then. I guess I'm the only one though, who wished there would've been a vol. 2 because I think if they would've done it right that time (right performers, right material, etc.), it could be a very cool album and vol.1 wouldn't stand as the last Beach Boys-album.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 11:28:58 AM »

As I recall, Brian has said that the only falsetto part he sang on S&S was "Little Deuce Coupe", all others were by Matt Jardine.  I too, listen to the Boys' vocals on this CD with amazement (how really GOOD they were) and sadness (that they were wasted on this... )

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 07:47:03 PM »

I don't own this album, but I'll never forget the first time I heard the Stars and Stripes version of "The Warmth of The Sun". 

The music began, along with a stack of background vocals that sounded like a choir of heavenly angels.  I was transported to somewhere else, a wonderful place, lost in the bliss of pure musical enjoyment.

Then Willie Nelson started singing.

Nothing against Willie, but this ain't the kind of song he should be singing. 

He also should never ever undertake a duet with Julio Iglesias.  Dear God, that song makes my ears burn. 
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:11:28 PM »

I think the Beach Boys blend actually improved their sound with Matt Jardine in the mid 90's. Nothing against Jeff Foskett, awesome voice, but Matt blended better with the Beach Boys, probably because he was family to one but there is a noticeable difference when he  is singing. In fact, Bruce even said Matt was his favorite "Brian replacement"
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 11:35:49 PM »

I think the Beach Boys blend actually improved their sound with Matt Jardine in the mid 90's. Nothing against Jeff Foskett, awesome voice, but Matt blended better with the Beach Boys, probably because he was family to one but there is a noticeable difference when he  is singing. In fact, Bruce even said Matt was his favorite "Brian replacement"

I agree...I love Foskett, but Matt really had a nice falsetto sound that fit well with the others.  Obviously nobody could really replace 60's Brian voice-wise, but Matt brought a nice youthful sound that had the same strength that Brian used to have.  And as you said, having the family ties didn't hurt matters either.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 04:01:07 AM »

I agree too. Matt's voice is awesome. I like his singing on "Hushabye" even better than Brian's.

I wondered about the falsetto in "Be true to your school", as I believed to hear a voice broke, which sounded like Brian's imo, while the other kept on singing.
Oh and do we know if something like audiotune was used? I think Mike's bass vocals sound kinda strange (not bad of course) though maybe that is because of the doubling....?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 04:06:15 AM »

I too have to agree with Bruce and everyone else, Matt was the closest to Brian.

I don't own this album, but I'll never forget the first time I heard the Stars and Stripes version of "The Warmth of The Sun". 

The music began, along with a stack of background vocals that sounded like a choir of heavenly angels.  I was transported to somewhere else, a wonderful place, lost in the bliss of pure musical enjoyment.

He also should never ever undertake a duet with Julio Iglesias.  Dear God, that song makes my ears burn. 

I agree, I don't think Willie Nelson is suited to this song at all. Well atleast I don't like this version mainly because of him. As for the background vocals on this song I agree, they are superb. Nothing compared to the original song but still magnificent.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 04:48:16 AM »

I too have to agree with Bruce and everyone else, Matt was the closest to Brian.

I agree, I don't think Willie Nelson is suited to this song at all. Well atleast I don't like this version mainly because of him. As for the background vocals on this song I agree, they are superb. Nothing compared to the original song but still magnificent.

I agree about the Julio Iglesias-song but WOTS imo is just great. He makes it toally his own and Mickey Raphael from his band is probably one of the best harmonica-players in the world. Such a touching performance. But I guess it's probably sounding too much country for some people because much of the other recordings on S&S are so mainstream, while Willie really gets to the song and makes it country. Some of the other cuts sound like country but they aren't. If that makes any sense... Dunno what I try to say... sorry...

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 05:13:21 AM »

I agree about the Julio Iglesias-song but WOTS imo is just great. He makes it toally his own and Mickey Raphael from his band is probably one of the best harmonica-players in the world. Such a touching performance. But I guess it's probably sounding too much country for some people because much of the other recordings on S&S are so mainstream, while Willie really gets to the song and makes it country. Some of the other cuts sound like country but they aren't. If that makes any sense... Dunno what I try to say... sorry...

I agree with you. "The Warmth Of The Sun" could appear on a Willie Nelson album and you wouldn't even know it was a Beach Boys' song. I put it on a compilation for my car, right after Johnny Cash's "Sunday Morning Coming Down". Fits perfectly. Then I follow it with Elvis Presley's version of "Always On My Mind". Love it!

I can't remember the exact source, but I recall reading an interview with Brian where he states that "The Warmth Of The Sun" is the only song on Stars And Stripes where he contributes his falsetto.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 05:19:48 AM »

I agree with you. "The Warmth Of The Sun" could appear on a Willie Nelson album and you wouldn't even know it was a Beach Boys' song. I put it on a compilation for my car, right after Johnny Cash's "Sunday Morning Coming Down". Fits perfectly. Then I follow it with Elvis Presley's version of "Always On My Mind". Love it!

I can't remember the exact source, but I recall reading an interview with Brian where he states that "The Warmth Of The Sun" is the only song on Stars And Stripes where he contributes his falsetto.

Well, that's new to me. I never would've thought that Brian's doing falsetto on that song. You can hear Matt clearly but of course Brian may doubling him.
BTW Jasper told me about a performance of Willie Nelson at Farm Aid in '96/'97 (iirc) doing WOTS and Brian (not the Beach Boys) backs him up. Has anybody seen this?

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 06:06:44 AM »

Well, that's new to me. I never would've thought that Brian's doing falsetto on that song. You can hear Matt clearly but of course Brian may doubling him.
BTW Jasper told me about a performance of Willie Nelson at Farm Aid in '96/'97 (iirc) doing WOTS and Brian (not the Beach Boys) backs him up. Has anybody seen this?

Yeah, Willie joined Brian onstage. Willie was fine; it wasn't one of Brian's better days. He sang some stuff from Imagination.

And, yes, Matt probably did double Brian, or vice versa, on Stars & Stripes "The Warmth Of The Sun". You know, I can kinda hear Brian on that song....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 06:31:54 AM »

Yeah, Willie joined Brian onstage. Willie was fine; it wasn't one of Brian's better days. He sang some stuff from Imagination.

And, yes, Matt probably did double Brian, or vice versa, on Stars & Stripes "The Warmth Of The Sun". You know, I can kinda hear Brian on that song....

Man it would be great to see and hear that. Willie joined the BBs in the 80s, but Brian wasn't with them.

Well, I think in the video it at least looks like Brian tried to get some high notes, so it might be possible. But I still think I hear him on some other cuts too....

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »

Rocker, it was in 1988 and it was terribibble... I call it that because calling it simply "terrible" is being far too kind. It was still the Joe Thomas era...*shudder*. I'll say this though, I wish Brian of today would do those setlits. He's gotten so much better.

I'll say this, though. That *is* Brian on WOTS, but he also has a part on Caroline, No, in the background parts.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:51:26 PM by The Sabremetric-toothed Tiger » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »

I'll say this, though. That *is* Brian on WOTS, but he also has a part on Caroline, No, in the background parts.

Yeah, that's Brian singing the words "Caroline no" during the tag; it's not falsetto but it's oddly appealing.

I think Joe Thomas did a tremendous job producing the vocals on both Stars And Stripes and Imagination. Everybody sounded good...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 09:56:21 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 10:07:49 PM »

I was told that Brian produced the vocals  on S&S or at least did a lion's share of that. I'm not sure if that was indeed the case, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 03:13:35 AM »

Rocker, it was in 1988 and it was terribibble... I call it that because calling it simply "terrible" is being far too kind. It was still the Joe Thomas era...*shudder*. I'll say this though, I wish Brian of today would do those setlits. He's gotten so much better.

I guess you mean '98 ? Do you have the live-recording of Willie and him ? If so, maybe you could pm me...?

Yeah, I love that part on "Caroline no". The backgound vocals on that song are great imo

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 09:54:19 AM »

The background parts on Caroline No are excellent I agree...Its Carl, Brian, and Alan delivering the goods very clearly one final time together. They all sounded phenomenal
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 11:57:40 AM »

I think the Willie Nelson version of "The Warmth Of The Sun" is just as touching as the original. It's the absolute highlight of the album for me.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 01:13:28 PM »

I think the Willie Nelson version of "The Warmth Of The Sun" is just as touching as the original. It's the absolute highlight of the album for me.

I feel the same way. Some people commented that Brian's weathered voice on BWPS's "Heroes And Villains" fits the lyrics/theme of the song. Well, that's what I think about Willie's version of "The Warmth Of The Sun".

Brian's 1964 version, with his youthful voice, reminds me of losing your first love, your first heartbreak, coming of age if you will. But with Willie's weathered vocal, which I love, it gives the feeling of an older guy, who knew the "love of his life" for awhile, and he gets really wasted over it. I can picture Willie singing it in one of those southern honky tonks, although he probably never did... police
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 03:58:45 PM »

Hate to correct the Sheriff, but on the Stars and Stripes docu you can see the Boys recording the vocals for this tune, and Matt is clearly doing the falsetto.

Listened to S+S again, it could easily be Brian on "Little Deuce Coupe," it's not that high, possibly "Be True to Your School," but I'm less sure...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »

Hate to correct the Sheriff, but on the Stars and Stripes docu you can see the Boys recording the vocals for this tune, and Matt is clearly doing the falsetto.

Listened to S+S again, it could easily be Brian on "Little Deuce Coupe," it's not that high, possibly "Be True to Your School," but I'm less sure...

Hating the music to the point that I absolutely won't go back to confirm, don't consider this definitive. But I would never trust studio footage. At any given time, what is being shown on the screen may be all of the finished product, may be part of the finished product, or may be none of the finished product. As Mr. Parks once said, Movies is Magic. (And so are recording studios.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 10:34:27 PM »

On the 'S&S' video, I'm pretty sure those shots of the boys singing around a mic are lip-sync'd or at least done after the fact... so it is possible that Brian did a falsetto part on the actual recording.

I too love Willie's interpretation of "Warmth"... but his voice is clearly not for everyone.  That scene where Mike comes in and tells him how to sing it is so hilarious and so uncomfortable at the same time. Willie handled him so well. And I love how Brian points out what an ass Mike made of himself.  LOL

It's a shame that 'S&S Vol. 1' was such a pandering attempt to cash in on the mainstream (speaking of Mike), instead of being a really solid tribute to American music. Country/Western and the Beach Boys... it doesn't get much more American than that. This album could have been so much better... but I'm still glad they did it.

I realize the entire project probably would never have happened if it weren't for the "hot new country" boom of the mid-90s, but I just wish they had focused more on the legends of country music and less on the flash-in-the-pan pretty boys  (James House anyone?) I would have really loved to hear George Jones or Merle Haggard sing a Wilson tune.

It's a crime that Tammy Wynette was left off the album too (I know they were planning a Vol.2, but still)... her scene in the video brings me to tears every time I see it, especially when you consider it was her final recording session.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:42:09 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 02:39:59 AM »

While we're at the videos, why was Carl missing on the WOTS-clip? You can clearly hear him on the recording...

I would have really loved to hear George Jones or Merle Haggard sing a Wilson tune.

It's a crime that Tammy Wynette was left off the album too (I know they were planning a Vol.2, but still)... her scene in the video brings me to tears every time I see it, especially when you consider it was her final recording session.

Haggard was supposed to sing "California", at least that's what I heard. I probably did this too often on too many boards, but I think it would be fun to make a tracklist with artists that would make a great record. What's your choices? I quote myself from the review-thread on this board:

I think "Let the wind blow" would have been THE perfect song for Johnny Cash, I actually can hear him in my head singing this song. Add to the great cuts of the original album (Nelson, etc), plus Wynette, Crowell and Haggard, George Jones doing "God only knows", Jerry Lee Lewis with "Got to know the woman" (hell, can you think of that !!?) and let Bobby Bare sing one of the car songs (maybe "Honkin' down the highway"), while Kris Kristofferson might have done "Forever" and it would have been a great album imho

I should mention that not all of the guys mentioned are alive anymore.

Add to that Glenn Campbell (why was he not on vol. 1? I think a participation from him should've been a given). Maybe someone could take "The trader" or "Hold on dear brother". "Back home" would be great for Hank jr. or maybe Waylon Jennings (RIP), who actually did write a song with that name on his "Closing in on the fire"-album. Would've been cool imho.
BTW was "Sail on sailor" really recorded for the album ? In the video it's just a rehearsal-performance I believe.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 04:41:51 AM »

John Denver should've sang Long Tall Texan. I know he would've been great at it, because I actually happen to have a recording of John Denver singing Long Tall Texan in 1966 with the Chad Mitchell Trio.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 08:23:09 AM »

The scenes of everybody in the studio "recording" are done later, for the video.   At any rate, as I said on the first page, Brian did an interview (and yes, I know how trustworthy Brian's interviews are) wherein he said the ONLY song he did a falsetto on was LDC.  He is many other places on that CD (including TWOTS), but not doing a falsetto. At least that is what he said...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 08:24:33 AM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx