gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:45:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why I like the Beach Boys  (Read 9631 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2008, 02:50:56 AM »

As I was listening to "Some of Your Love" off KTSA, something struck me - "Why is it," I thought. "That alot of people don't like this song?"

Then I realized. I realized why I like it and others don't. Why I like the entirety of the Beach Boys catalogue.

I love lame things with group vocals. Look at it this way - if it's just one schmo by himself making crappy music, that's one thing. But if that schmo has convinced four other people to sing along with him, it gains a mythic quality. Even if Brian or Mike or whoever wrote a terrible song, they've somehow managed to convince the rest of the band that it's at least good enough to sing on. There must be something to the song that everyone'd be willing to contribute to it.

I love nostalgia. The first full Beach Boys album I listened to was Pet Sounds. Not because I was looking for mature music. Not because I was looking for baroque pop. Not because I'm a music snob. But because I wanted to listen to music from the 1960s. I like music from the past. I also like music that tries to sound like it's from the past.

I have an emotional connection to the members. I *love* It's OK. You know why? Because Mike sounds so happy on it. Can't you just imagine how he felt singing backing vocals on the Smile songs? Can you imagine how bored he must've been shaking his inaudible tambourine during the three-minute moog solo on Leaving This Town? How pained he must've felt when people were BEGGING him for Be True To Your School and all he could offer them was Vegetables and It's About Time? Now just imagine all that going away with It's OK. Don't worry Mike, it's okay now. Brian's back, Mike, and he's going to make everything alright for you. Screw being progressive, that's not what the kids want. This is how I can listen to Summer in Paradise with a smile.

It's amazing to see how a certain formula can be filtered through different genres. Here Comes the Night, in all of its ten-and-a-half minute glory, sounds like the Beach Boys. But it's disco! Smack dab in the middle of a soft rock album, at that! I love seeing the Beach Boys through the ages performing the same songs, too. The same clean-cut skinny boys in 1964 singing I Get Around are the same hippies in 1971 singing I Get Around and are the same bearded fat men in funny hats and long socks in 1980 singing I Get Around. I love the 1981 Brian at Long Beach performance of Don't Worry Baby because so much had happened to Brian since he first sang that song. I'm not even talking about his voice. But it's still the same Brian. And it's so interesting that a band well-known for its youth-oriented songs lived such adult lives.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 03:15:12 AM »

I like the Beach Boys because their music is so different and BETTER than everything else I've ever heard...and not only that, they are uplifting as if they couldn't help it. They could sing about jumping off of the Brooklyn Bridge and make it sound positive. They've been there, done that. In a Royal Rumble of bands, they would reign supreme. They span from one end of the spectrum to the other. Captian and Tenille, Fat Boys, Jan and Dean, John and Paul, Kennedy to Reagan, eight trillion others, and one Charles  (scumbag) Manson. 

Not only was their music better than everybody elses', but Brian's been through more than Led Zeppelin and Motley Crue combined, and he survived on top. Mike Love has damn near pissed off the entire world- WHATS MORE ROCK AND ROLL THAN THAT?? Carl and Dennis have created some of the greatest music ever, made all the more intriguing in my opinion in the fact that to this day it is relatively underground to the mainstream, and Alan is a Running Back who sings Help Me Rhonda...that's unbelievable. Bruce...is Bruce.....

Hell, I love the Beach Boys. It all comes down to the music.  Rock!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:16:53 AM by noname » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:47:02 AM »

I don't like The Beach Boys at all. They're horrible people.  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SG7
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:01:15 AM »

I don't like The Beach Boys at all. They're horrible people.  Shocked

LOL LOL LOL LOL Grin
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:43:47 AM »

Im a sucker for full grown men singin like angels..Allways have been..ANYTIME.. Im in any kind of weird or bad mood the music lifts my spirits..When i was a kid growin up same time their image gave this kid an idenity..{?}..No Pacifico.. !!..And much of their music is hard to play + sing..How many times have You gone in a club + seen a cover band playin their music
Hardly ever..!!..Brians 88lp got me thru a divorce after 10 yrs of marriage.. Never saw it comin.. Played his lp numerous times a day to get thru the sorrow..  BB are my friends.. Apart of the story + memories of my life.. I cannot imagine my life without BB music.... Being a semi pro musician myself i treat all musicians famous or not.. Like regular people.. BB when i meet them i shake + get very nervous + kind of speechless.. Which is not a good thing if ya ever wanna work with them..
LOL..!!.. Beach Boy boards are the only ones i really read or post on..After ALL these years im still obsessed..!!!!
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »

First of all I think the better question is Who can't like the Beach Boys? There are certain musically illiterate half-wits out there that can't appreciate the genius of the Beach Boys and that's OK cuz' they can go f*** themselves. As for me at 22 I've been a Beach Boys fanatic since the tender age of 7. I have every album (LP & CD), I've read several books, seen several films etc. and it never gets old to me. I'm a devout punk rocker and rock n' roll enthusiast but nothing for me tops Brian Wilson. My other favorite bands the Ramones and the Queers wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Beach Boys. Why would someone dig the Beach Boys? I don't even think it really needs an explanation really, it's rock music at it's finest, pop music at it's finest, vocal talent at it's finest, songwriting etc. I could go on and on...
 Cool
SG7
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 12:38:35 PM »

In all seriousness though, they are like the coolest band. You don't feel so detached from it then say The Beatles. There is way too many Beatles fans to the point it doesn't feel personal. Liking this band is such community. When I was left alone and my mom had to work two jobs and my dad the night shift and I was left alone most of the time, I came here to learn and have fun. It has been a crazy soon to be 5 years of liking this band. I am friends with people I would have NEVER would have known had it been for them. Plus there is so much variety in the catalog, it's insane. After hearing Pet Sounds at 15, my fate was sealed.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 01:37:59 PM »

When I was in my early teens (90-95), I was into stuff like Boyz 2 Men, All 4 One, Glad, Acapella and Take 6. I loved vocal harmonies. Then I discovered the Beach Boys and other oldies harmony groups like the Four Seasons, Jan and Dean, etc.

Of all the groups I've listed, the Beach Boys are the only one I still listen to today!! I still love the harmonies, but I've become more aware of the experimental/artistic backing tracks and lyrics. Now I am more into the later Beatles, Pink Floyd, ELO, REM, Radiohead, Flaming Lips, etc.

The Beach Boys were able to combine fun, strange, artistic and emotional into their music. And it makes me smile.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 01:43:04 PM »

Almost 50 years of good music and bad, hero's and villains, life and death. Sex, drugs and rock and roll as a soap opera. Tabloid Rock.

You can not make this stuff up!
MZ
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 02:45:44 PM »

There's a book, a work of fiction titled 'Boy's Life' by Robert McCammon. In the course of that tale, one of the characters hears the Beach Boys recording of I Get Around for the very first time. His reaction to it very much resembles my own first experience. It's impossible for me to describe it, but that account has always stayed with me and is probably the main reason I love the music.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 04:19:42 PM »

i like the Beach boys because of Brian's "girly" high voice, despite his disowning it in later years.  Wink

I like the Beach Boys because they were real people, and didn't get caught up in that "trying to be hip" thing that Lennon and McCartney fell into - Brian couldn't help but say what he was thinking, whether it was "cool" or stupid or deranged, and the others were the same.  Lennon was always playing mind games with people, Carl and Al and Mike and Dennis were more genuine.  Mike did try to be hip in the Surf's Up era as he attempted to justify his continued presence in the band (Student Demonstration Time) but he also wrote his best song (on his own) at this time, Big Sur.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 08:27:33 PM »

One of the main reasons why I still listen to Summer In Paradise is because 1992 was the year I first saw The Beach Boys. It gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. One of my fondest memories as a little kid(7-ish) is singing Little Deuce Coupe with my cousin...just him and I. Two people, singing five part harmony.  LOL Whoever mentioned "nostalgia" in this thread nailed it. Now, as a twenty two year old, I realise just how groundbreaking The Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson were. But, I suppose I keep coming back to that image of two little kids singing Little Deuce Coupe. Sure it's corny....but all that summer, fun in the sun stuff reminds me of one of the happiest times in my life.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »

I love ther fact that I can find a good song on *every* album, even "Still Crusin" (I just discovered that I like Somewhere Near Japan).

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 02:36:59 AM »

Yeah, that song is still one of the greatests of all time for me.

I love the Beach Boys, sure they don't rock like the Stones or sometimes you might think the Beatles are better, but it's everything about the Beach Boys. The people, the story and the music. I Get Around brings those happy days back when I discovered the Beach Boys. I like all albums, everyone has something for me. For every situation there is a Beach Boys song. If I am sad I listen to stuff like Warmth Of The Sun, Tears In The Morning, Don't Worry Baby, ... and there are too so many songs that makes me smile (Time To Get Alone, All Summer Long, etc). They do have pop songs, some rocking ones, even a bit classic, rap, disco, a little blues and jazz too, psychedelic stuff, surf music, waltz, they have everything, that's why I love them so.  Smiley

When I am really sad I just need to listen to Good Timin' and then everythings allright again. Thanks Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al and Bruce.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 03:42:29 AM »

My favorite line in American Grafitti is when the teen-age girl turns around to the guy who's driving and exclaims: "Everyone knows The Beach Boys are boss!". There will never be another band like The Beach Boys.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 04:05:54 AM »

I like the Beach Boys for many reasons. Among the top: It is a band with a sound dripping with positive energy. The songs make me feel real good, and start any day in an upbeat mood. The harmonies are uplifting, the arrangements imaginative, and the songwriting creative.
   A Big reason I like the Boys is because their songs can be listened too on many different levels. I can take in the whole sound, or I can listen to harmonic arrangements and be amazed, or I can listen to the musicianship and be amazed, and always hear something new everytime I listen, because so much is in there. That's part of what makes the music and the sound timeless.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 06:00:48 AM »

The Beach Boys...whats there not to like??

Brian, Dennis, & Carl

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 11:05:04 AM »

For 6 or 7 albums released in between '65 and '77. That is it, really. I find nothing that I'd want to emulate in any of their lives as far as I can tell from reading this board and the odd book or article. However much I think Brian, Dennis and Carl seem very genuine and sincere, only Dennis was a role model as such, but so far out he is out of sight to most mortals.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 02:59:27 AM »

There really hasn't been a single officially released song by the Beach Boys, together or solo, that I don't like in some way or another.  Now there are some unreleased songs that I can't bring myself to listen to all the way through (like almost all of Sweet Insanity and other early 90's Brian demos), but I think it's more because of the production quality rather than the quality of the actual songs.

I go through phases where I'll like a certain artist for a few months, and then it fades away.  There are probably less than 10 artists that I will always be a big fan of.  The Beach Boys are #1 on that list, and have been since I became a fan in 1991.  Watching and listening to them go through so many distinct phases in their career is just so interesting.  Listening to their music gives me pieces of the puzzle and I think about what the group was going through at that particular time.  I think that's why the 70's music appeals to me the most.  They were going through a time where they were struggling to find a new identity and there was a constant pull back and forth and every which way to get there.  All the music is beautiful AND is part of a very intriguing story.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 10:58:59 AM »

i like the Beach boys because of Brian's "girly" high voice, despite his disowning it in later years.  Wink

I like the Beach Boys because they were real people, and didn't get caught up in that "trying to be hip" thing that Lennon and McCartney fell into - Brian couldn't help but say what he was thinking, whether it was "cool" or stupid or deranged, and the others were the same.  Lennon was always playing mind games with people, Carl and Al and Mike and Dennis were more genuine.  Mike did try to be hip in the Surf's Up era as he attempted to justify his continued presence in the band (Student Demonstration Time) but he also wrote his best song (on his own) at this time, Big Sur.

Have to disagree with this.

I don't think that Lennon and McCartney tried to be hip. They were what they were, and this was considered hip at some points, less so at others. "Wings" were a desperately unfashionable band. In the mid 60s the Beatles had Brian Epstein styling them which is why they looked a lot better than Murry's Boys.

Lennon ... complicated person. Mind games, maybe. Ill-judged publicity, perhaps. Fake, definitely not. More committed and intellectual than any of the Beach Boys and an obvious inspiration for Dennis Wilson judging by similarities between Imagine and POB.  Very different person to Mike Love but both of them were rock'n'rollers.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2012, 07:06:52 AM »

I should probably think about this more before I post it, and I will probably want to come back and revise it, but here goes.  I think The Beach Boys music is the saddest music in the world, at least the songs I like, and this includes the "happy songs", the sad songs, and everything in-between.  I'm not sure why, but it has always been this way for me.  The "sad" songs need no explanation, I suppose.  Perhaps the reason the happy songs make me sad is because they point to an ideal that simply doesn't exist in this world.  Life has its happy moments, sometimes these moments last for a long time, but they never last forever.  The sadness always returns, sometimes you even realize this fact in the midst of bliss, which makes the bliss all thr more enjoyable, in some bitter-sweet way.  Brian's songs almost make you want to climb inside and live there....forever.  To stop time at that moment (or two minutes of moments) and live eternally in that bliss.  But that cannot be done in this life and this truth is heart-breaking.  It's been said that the saddest sentiment is "what could have been" and I think Brian's music either captures what could have been, the reminder of which is painful, or ponders the absence of  it.  It's like seeing a beautiful landscape in nature and not being able to capture it on film.  Or seeing a beautiful scene in nature and wanting to somehow touch it, or internalize it...or consume it.  Another impossibility.  You cannot "have" it even as you enjoy it, and once you turn away you have only the memory, which is yet another reminder of not actually having it, and now not even being able to sense it.

I believe that for me, Brian's music captures this but not just about scenery, rather about the most important things in life, love, relationships, the fleeting moments of good, the never-ending search for filling-up the empty, and so on.

Or something like that.

Sent via HTC Sensation Powered by Cincinnati Bell Wireless

Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »

I should probably think about this more before I post it, and I will probably want to come back and revise it, but here goes.  I think The Beach Boys music is the saddest music in the world, at least the songs I like, and this includes the "happy songs", the sad songs, and everything in-between.  I'm not sure why, but it has always been this way for me.  The "sad" songs need no explanation, I suppose.  Perhaps the reason the happy songs make me sad is because they point to an ideal that simply doesn't exist in this world.  Life has its happy moments, sometimes these moments last for a long time, but they never last forever.  The sadness always returns, sometimes you even realize this fact in the midst of bliss, which makes the bliss all thr more enjoyable, in some bitter-sweet way.  Brian's songs almost make you want to climb inside and live there....forever.  To stop time at that moment (or two minutes of moments) and live eternally in that bliss.  But that cannot be done in this life and this truth is heart-breaking.  It's been said that the saddest sentiment is "what could have been" and I think Brian's music either captures what could have been, the reminder of which is painful, or ponders the absence of  it.  It's like seeing a beautiful landscape in nature and not being able to capture it on film.  Or seeing a beautiful scene in nature and wanting to somehow touch it, or internalize it...or consume it.  Another impossibility.  You cannot "have" it even as you enjoy it, and once you turn away you have only the memory, which is yet another reminder of not actually having it, and now not even being able to sense it.

I believe that for me, Brian's music captures this but not just about scenery, rather about the most important things in life, love, relationships, the fleeting moments of good, the never-ending search for filling-up the empty, and so on.

Or something like that.

Sent via HTC Sensation Powered by Cincinnati Bell Wireless

If Beach Boys music makes you sad, then I don't know what else to say except you might want to see a doctor. Really.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2012, 11:34:47 AM »

I must've been drunk or something when I wrote that post. I just like the music because it's good music. it's so weird when people bump old threads, I feel like I'm a completely different person than I used to be.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »

If Beach Boys music makes you sad, then I don't know what else to say except you might want to see a doctor. Really.

That's a bit cold! What kind of monster doesn't listen to Pet Sounds occasionally, flashing back to f*cked up love and sobbing intermittently?

Mike Love: "Brian was melancholy."

Mr. Positivity had a point. Brian was and is and that sad, nostalgic melancholic flavor runs all through his work, through the forced grins.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:34:18 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »

Simple. They're the best.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx