gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:08:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rap  (Read 44243 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2016, 02:49:40 AM »

Ovi, I did my best. Many tracks are unavailable on YT. But I managed to catch "For Free? (Interlude)", "King Kunta", "These Walls" (studio and Ellen version) and "Alright" (I'd already heard "i"). It's certainly impressive, but like most jazz (and RAM) it's just not my scene.

Most of the videos were pretty off-putting----the only whites were evil policemen and all the women were just there for sex. Not nice.    
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 02:50:08 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2016, 03:34:02 AM »

Fair enough.

Here's a bit I wrote about MF DOOM, my favorite rapper at the moment, on Facebook:

MF DOOM is the natural reaction of a hip-hop era oversaturated with confessional, glimpse-into-their-mind artists. Rappers such as Biggie and 2Pac made hip-hop truly universal by adding the missing piece – that element that made the fans resonate. Maybe we could never fully put ourselves in their shoes, but we understood the feelings of dread, the eternal internal conflicts, the guilt. The suicidal thoughts of Biggie. The temptations of Pac. We, as the audience, connected. I’m referring to both the fans that were alive at the time and the rest who just listen to the albums in present time.

But as the 90s came to a close, way too many rappers were doing that. We needed some mystery. We didn’t need everything to be so Gosh Darn serious and personal. DOOM took it upon himself to embody all those needs. Scarred mentally from the unexpected death of his brother and band colleague in the early 90s, Daniel Dumile as is his real name quit the musical scene and in the next 5 years found himself nearly homeless. He came back though, right when the hip-hop world needed him, with a new name and a mask taken from the set of the Gladiator movie covering his face. Obviously inspired by the Marvel character. But still so much mystery attached to his persona. And to his lyrics as well, always full of metaphors, free associations and ambiguity. He doesn’t throw everything there is to know about him at us, which makes it twice as interesting because it lets the listener’s imagination to run wild. He’s not just the man behind the mask, but also the man behind the curtain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »

MF DOOM was in the "instructional" video, right? The samples in this are really cool----that piano riff! I suppose that's what I listen out for in hip hop----the track, and not so much the words.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »

I can't stop listening to Young Thug.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2016, 12:45:05 AM »

Honestly, I really don't get the trap thing. They all sound to me like something you would play at a house party in the background (not for dancing, but just like that). It sounds good, but not something I ever feel the need to return to. Not much substance. And indistinguishable songs. I've tried albums by both Future and ASAP Rocky, some Waka Flocka...
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2016, 01:27:09 AM »

MF DOOM was in the "instructional" video, right? The samples in this are really cool----that piano riff! I suppose that's what I listen out for in hip hop----the track, and not so much the words.

Yup, DOOM was the one with the misleading punchline ("One thing this party could use is more...booze"). I personally love his style, tho from what I've seen he's a hate-him or love-him type artist. It took me a while to get into him. The song I posted is from Madvillainy, the famous collaboration between him and the excellent producer and jazz-aficionado Madlib.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2016, 02:17:41 AM »

Another interesting aspect is that DOOM's discography reminisces that of Dylan's in that a lot of his decisions are unexpected and 180-degree turns meant to give fans the unexpected. He's both a rapper and a producer. He made a name out of himself back in 1999 with his debut album, which he both produced and rapped on. Fans dug his persona and his rhyming ability in particular. So on the next release he basically eliminated both, adopting a whole new name and character, King Geedorah, and focused mainly on making the beats, letting other artists rap over them. The fans still dug the album, this time for the instrumental side. So the next release is under yet another different name, Viktor Vaughn, and this time there is not a single beat on the album created by him, only by obscure, unknown producers. Likewise, a few years later, collaborations with two ultra-famous hip-hop producers, Madlib and Danger Mouse, proved to be successful. So now in 2014 he collaborated with a producer that is not only unknown, but has literally done nothing of note before this.

That's pretty cool.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2016, 04:04:50 AM »

Another interesting aspect is that DOOM's discography reminisces that of Dylan's in that a lot of his decisions are unexpected and 180-degree turns meant to give fans the unexpected. He's both a rapper and a producer. He made a name out of himself back in 1999 with his debut album, which he both produced and rapped on. Fans dug his persona and his rhyming ability in particular. So on the next release he basically eliminated both, adopting a whole new name and character, King Geedorah, and focused mainly on making the beats, letting other artists rap over them. The fans still dug the album, this time for the instrumental side. So the next release is under yet another different name, Viktor Vaughn, and this time there is not a single beat on the album created by him, only by obscure, unknown producers. Likewise, a few years later, collaborations with two ultra-famous hip-hop producers, Madlib and Danger Mouse, proved to be successful. So now in 2014 he collaborated with a producer that is not only unknown, but has literally done nothing of note before this.

That's pretty cool.

Thanks for the info. I've got three albums on YouTube lined up for dipping into: his debut, King G. and Viktor V, in that order.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2016, 05:14:19 AM »

That's pretty cool.

Thanks for the info. I've got three albums on YouTube lined up for dipping into: his debut, King G. and Viktor V, in that order.

Cool! Madvillainy is the real masterpiece though.
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2016, 07:41:51 AM »

Honestly, I really don't get the trap thing. They all sound to me like something you would play at a house party in the background (not for dancing, but just like that). It sounds good, but not something I ever feel the need to return to. Not much substance. And indistinguishable songs. I've tried albums by both Future and ASAP Rocky, some Waka Flocka...
Haven't really listened to Future, but I enjoy some A$AP Rocky.
I didn't start listening to Young Thug until last night, though I actually thought some of his lyrics stood out to me.

Are there some non-trap artists you'd recommend? Lately I've been trying to expand my rap music tastes.
My neighbor has been playing Chance for me a lot recently. I still need to listen to Acid Rap more.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:43:06 AM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »

Haven't really listened to Future, but I enjoy some A$AP Rocky.
I didn't start listening to Young Thug until last night, though I actually thought some of his lyrics stood out to me.

Are there some non-trap artists you'd recommend? Lately I've been trying to expand my rap music tastes.
My neighbor has been playing Chance for me a lot recently. I still need to listen to Acid Rap more.

The rap artists I enjoy the most besides the previously mentioned MF DOOM are The Wu-Tang Clan (plus all solo), Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Eric B. & Rakim, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, 2Pac, The Notorious B.I.G., N.W.A and Dr. Dre. Not any you've never heard of before, but there you go, that's what my hip-hop tastes revolve around.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2016, 03:03:44 AM »

That's pretty cool.

Cool! Madvillainy is the real masterpiece though.

I've listened to Operation: Doomsday all the way through. And enjoyed every second.

I think another problem I have with a lot of rap (besides the importance of the lyrics) is that it's so intense (to me, at least). O:D is like a breath of fresh air, a brilliant and often hilarious collage with so much going on and some great samples (some familiar, some not).

I've since moved on to Take Me To Your Leader, which has a more wide-screen feel to it.

To be continued!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 03:04:45 AM by john k » Logged

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2016, 03:57:04 AM »

I've listened to Operation: Doomsday all the way through. And enjoyed every second.

I think another problem I have with a lot of rap (besides the importance of the lyrics) is that it's so intense (to me, at least). O:D is like a breath of fresh air, a brilliant and often hilarious collage with so much going on and some great samples (some familiar, some not).

I've since moved on to Take Me To Your Leader, which has a more wide-screen feel to it.

To be continued!

I know what you mean. DOOM is one of the few rappers that doesn't take himself seriously which is great because at the same time he truly is one of the best. His bragging is cryptic and funny and he deliberately stays away from rap cliches such as materialism with lyrics like this:

"The rest is empty with no brain but the clever nerd / The best MC with no chain you've ever heard"

"I get no kick from champagne / Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all / So tell me why shouldn't it be true / I get a kick out of brew"

The last one is kinda obvious when you think about what kind of lifestyle is associated with champagne in the hip-hop world.

Madvillainy is in my opinion the culmination of what he stands for; pretty much every song is around 2 minutes with no more than a verse. Usually the punchline of the verse is the name of the song (Accordion, All Caps, Figaro) but you don't realize until the very end how that word/those words fits in the scheme of things. There's no big choruses, moreover, there's no choruses at all, no big concept, no big arrangements. Everything is subdued and this came in an era where every rapper had to make a statement with each one of his over-an-hour-long albums. Madvillainy is to Eminem what Ramones were to Yes.

I dig Operation Doomsday a lot too, but some of the samples have not dated too well (those 80s drums in Red and Gold, ugh). I'm assuming you've spotted the Beatles sample.

Glad you enjoy the albums!
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2016, 04:03:45 AM »

Just remembered another great, great lyric:

"How DOOM hold heat then preach non-violence? / Shhh, he about to start the speech, c'mon, silence"
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2016, 07:07:46 PM »

I know this isn’t huge, but The RZA (Wu-Tang mastermind) briefly mentioned The Beach Boys is an interview with RollingStone.

Here is the excerpt:

RZA: I think as far as my energy is concerned, I’m definitely at the level of life where I kind of take it seriously but don’t take it so seriously. I’ve definitely had fun in my day. It’s gonna be sunny days. It’s gonna be cloudy days. You look at a song like “Ana Electronic.” To me, you’ll never find a song like that on a Wu-Tang album. As far as my performance on it, it’s very quirky. I wouldn’t even say it’s lyrical. It’s not like I’m conscious of my lyrical content. I didn’t care about my lyrical content. Sometimes when an artist writes his lyrics, he’s trying to write the best as if he wants everybody to praise him. In the particular song, I was just having fun. It goes along with the fun in the music and the fun that his voice was bringing. It has not gravitas to it. It’s like listening to a Beach Boys' song.

I wish we could find out what albums/songs The RZA likes from the BB's catalogue. Him talking about Brian Wilson could be a whole interview itself

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2016, 01:47:33 AM »

I know this isn’t huge, but The RZA (Wu-Tang mastermind) briefly mentioned The Beach Boys is an interview with RollingStone.

Here is the excerpt:

RZA: I think as far as my energy is concerned, I’m definitely at the level of life where I kind of take it seriously but don’t take it so seriously. I’ve definitely had fun in my day. It’s gonna be sunny days. It’s gonna be cloudy days. You look at a song like “Ana Electronic.” To me, you’ll never find a song like that on a Wu-Tang album. As far as my performance on it, it’s very quirky. I wouldn’t even say it’s lyrical. It’s not like I’m conscious of my lyrical content. I didn’t care about my lyrical content. Sometimes when an artist writes his lyrics, he’s trying to write the best as if he wants everybody to praise him. In the particular song, I was just having fun. It goes along with the fun in the music and the fun that his voice was bringing. It has not gravitas to it. It’s like listening to a Beach Boys' song.

I wish we could find out what albums/songs The RZA likes from the BB's catalogue. Him talking about Brian Wilson could be a whole interview itself

Thanks for sharing, I'm a huge RZA fan.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »

I'm assuming you've spotted the Beatles sample.

Yes indeed, "Glass Onion". Brilliantly done----wow. I knew "The Finest " from The S.O.S Band's original version. They made some fantastic cuts. And "Big Black Cow" (Steely Dan). I'm now listening to Viktor Vaughn. MFD is certainly prolific! I see lots more albums by him (and his aliases) listed on YouTube. 

I also noticed a Magical Mystery Tour/Wu Tang Clan mash in the right-hand column of YT. I enjoyed The Grey Album (and I've only ever been aware of one song by Jay-Z, that "hard knocks life" one)----is this of the same calibre?   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2016, 03:36:05 AM »

Need a bit of a break. Three complete Doom albums in a row is quite something! But I still have Madvillainy bookmarked----one of these days... 

Will C.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2016, 10:09:52 AM »

If you dig The Beach Boys and Rap...

https://willc.bandcamp.com/album/adieu-or-die-album

Guess I should check out the general music section here a bit more often. It brought a huge smile to my face to see Ill Al Skratch "Where My Homies" mentioned on the SmileySmile board. YES!!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2016, 02:45:36 AM »

Hey Ovi----happy 22nd birthday, fella. Tonight I shall play Madvillainy in your honour. :=)

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2016, 10:50:44 AM »

Hey Ovi----happy 22nd birthday, fella. Tonight I shall play Madvillainy in your honour. :=)

Cheers dude!
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2016, 12:53:00 AM »

No lie.

I'm fully immersing myself in Kendrick and Chance lately. And admittedly some Kanye.

Kendrick is wonderful. I hate myself for not appreciating him more before.
And Chance is just sort of adorable. In a video I linked in another thread, Kanye joyously jumps up and down cheering on Chance the Prodigy.

Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2016, 04:13:53 AM »

New Kanye video for Fade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxGvm6btP1A
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2016, 04:39:55 AM »

Tonight I shall play Madvillainy in your honour. :=)

I see what you mean----it's the best of the lot! Love what MFD does with samples.

I didn't realize he was born in London...

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 09, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »

If you dig The Beach Boys and Rap...

https://willc.bandcamp.com/album/adieu-or-die-album

Guess I should check out the general music section here a bit more often. It brought a huge smile to my face to see Ill Al Skratch "Where My Homies" mentioned on the SmileySmile board. YES!!

This is amazing! I've always wanted to something similar to this (I actually made a 'Heroes and Villains' mix in this style after TSS came out, and sorta dabbled with this style for my LOVE album) but this is on a whole other level. 'Cabin Fever' - I'm blown away. Those sections of 'Til I Die' in 'Blue Blazer' are fantastic!

I'm skipping through the songs because I don't have time for a full listen, but I'll definitely be coming back soon for a full listen. Seems like a lot of gems in this. Thanks for posting!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx