gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:52:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Odd "Heroes And Villains" sections??  (Read 17744 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2006, 08:20:14 PM »

What out-of-the-ordinary sections have you heard in fan reconstructions of Heroes And Villains, and where in the song did they occur?

I heard of one that put the 'intro' from the boxed set after "You're under arrest!"  That actually sounded like a pretty good idea... sort of like a madcap Keystone Cops-type chase in the middle of the song.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 08:22:10 PM »

I heard one that placed the entire album internally inside H&V. Little sections between each track, framed by the acetate up to Cantina, then Sunny down at the finale. Way cool.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 08:49:36 PM »

That sounds like it would work... I'll try to track that one down.

I take back my thought that inserting "Fire" would sound cool... I just stuck "Heroes And Villains Intro" after 'you're under arrest', and it sounds horrible there!
Evenreven
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 04:37:27 AM »

No way, man! I've done that and it sounds groovy. The "bag of tricks" version sounds even better in there.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 10:20:42 AM »

Yeah I also did that at one time. I think it sounds quite good.
BTW I always tried to use the "horn intro" (which you hear as as link between "aum-di-di-wa-da" and the starting of the actual "H&V" on BWPS) as a "intro" to "Surf's Up". I think that sounds cool...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
DUMB ANGEL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 12:07:09 PM »

I've heard a rumor that there is a twelve minute version of Heros and villans out there somewhere. Any truth to this?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 12:11:30 PM »

No.
Except for fan edits.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 01:29:46 PM »

I know a guy who put together an extended mix that included the silly laugh from "She's Goin' Bald." He said yeah, it doesn't really belong there, but he thought it was a nice fit...I forgot what section he put that over, but it was an interesting fit...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Jason
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 11:30:32 AM »

I've heard a rumor that there is a twelve minute version of Heros and villans out there somewhere. Any truth to this?

What is this, 1990?
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 11:49:57 PM »

That 12 minute stuff is damn exciting to the SMiLE new fan.

At that early stage you're not aware that it's just tons of sections broken up that could potentially equal around 12 minutes. It sounds like it would be something else.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Evenreven
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 10:46:43 AM »

What is this, 1990?
Oh, you old-timer, you.

Dumb Angel, we were all new once, don't get discouraged.  Smiley
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 06:08:43 PM »

I'd love to hear a 12-minute "Heroes", if it wasn't just all a bunch of random segments taped together (like the 10-minute variations on bootlegs). 

How is that 15-minute "Good Vibrations" on the one Smile mix?? 
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 06:48:34 PM »

I'm more of a fan of the 45 second H&V.
Evenreven
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 06:51:27 PM »

Is that the one ending with "in the town of the heroes and aah aah aah aah aah aah aah aah aaaaaah"?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2006, 04:49:36 PM »

I heard one that placed the entire album internally inside H&V. Little sections between each track, framed by the acetate up to Cantina, then Sunny down at the finale. Way cool.

This sounds like a great idea. I have been wondering recently, is the H & V sections on The GV Box something that was put together separately from Brian? I.e. all the extraneous H & V stuff put together by an engineer specifically for the boxset without Brian's input or what? I thought I had read this but I can't find the boxset book where it probably mentions it at the moment. I'm curious as I'm trying to sequence my own Smile mix and it always bugs me as to where put the H & V sections. If it's just a compilation of fragments then it would make sense for me to just scatter them throughout ...

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2006, 04:54:18 PM »

This sounds like a great idea. I have been wondering recently, is the H & V sections on The GV Box something that was put together separately from Brian? I.e. all the extraneous H & V stuff put together by an engineer specifically for the boxset without Brian's input or what? I thought I had read this but I can't find the boxset book where it probably mentions it at the moment. I'm curious as I'm trying to sequence my own Smile mix and it always bugs me as to where put the H & V sections. If it's just a compilation of fragments then it would make sense for me to just scatter them throughout ...

A big chunk of the H&V sections track was indeed sequenced by BW on acetate in 67. From the Gee section continuing about 3 and a half minutes. Linett included this in proper order inside the bigg track which he compiled, originally for the mooted SMiLE release in 1988, then refined it for the box.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2006, 05:06:28 PM »

Hey this is great to know - thanks a lot.

Ian - you seem to be pretty clued up about this stuff. What's your opinion on the Can't Wait too long snippet that has the accapella intro, then the handclaps and the ooh ooh bit? It was talked about a bit in the Alan Boyd thread. To me it sounds totally Smile-era and feels like an earlier conception of the other CWTL stuff available.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2006, 05:11:30 PM »

Unfortunately I have no info on that to share, but I agree that it most likely is the earliest CWTL recording. A demo, to my ears.
It sounds more in the post SMiLEY back to the piano compositional mode of Honey to my ears, but I hear a lot of modal SMiLE tendencies as well. The song is a perfect meld of the dizzying SMiLE sound-movement-collage style and Honey's simpler and earthier R&B-pop tendencies.

Jason
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2006, 05:17:53 PM »

Hey this is great to know - thanks a lot.

Ian - you seem to be pretty clued up about this stuff. What's your opinion on the Can't Wait too long snippet that has the accapella intro, then the handclaps and the ooh ooh bit? It was talked about a bit in the Alan Boyd thread. To me it sounds totally Smile-era and feels like an earlier conception of the other CWTL stuff available.

That is actually a BW acetate of work done on the song during the Wild Honey era.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2006, 05:23:57 PM »

Seems like a pretty early acetate.

Jason
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 05:26:35 PM »

VERY early, my friend. November or December 1967. A lot of the important sections were actually cut during the Friends era.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 05:28:58 PM »

That is actually a BW acetate of work done on the song during the Wild Honey era.

Are you sure about this? I was so convinced it was Smile stuff, I feel disappointed! It just sounds so fresh and natural. The ooh bits remind me of barnyard - I've put it in my Smile mix and it's one of my favourite bits!

Jason
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2006, 05:30:34 PM »

Can't Wait Too Long was tracked on and off between November 1967 and June 1968, during Wild Honey and Friends. It is NOT a Smile track.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »

Yeah, DEFINITELY not SMiLE. It has far too much of a piano rockin' groove to be from the SMiLE period of creativity.
The Friends-era CWTL stuff sounds more SMiLE-y and modular. Great stuff, in any form.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2006, 05:35:38 PM »

Thanks for clearing it up. I knew CWTL was a post smile track but I'd always wondered if this segment was an early prototype that was recorded during Smile. Anyway I believe you - it's such a beautiful vocal bit though do you not think? Makes me wonder why he didn't use it for the more polished recording.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx