gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:20:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson insane or is he???/  (Read 14796 times)
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2006, 10:12:50 PM »

Not insane. Just drunk. We're all buttholes to him, but Van Dyke is the biggest butthole in the wor-rold.
pavlos brenos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2006, 10:57:19 PM »

Suga, it is generally accepted that Brian has schizo-affective disorder which sits somewhere between bi-polar disorder (which itself comes in various forms) and paranoid schizophrenia. Brian's frenetic work-pace, family/business pressures and indiscriminate drug use all combined and acted in synergy in '67 and galvanised pre-existing problems. That's the concise answer to your question!
Try this link:
http://bipolar.about.com/cs/psychoticfeatures/a/bl_paranoia.htm
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 01:59:05 PM »

Brian self-diagnosed :

He just wasn't made for these times. Make what you will of it.

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2006, 02:36:49 PM »

Luther:  Prescriptive grammarian or descriptive, are you?  I'm not sure why that reads like Yoda.  Well, I know why, but not why I chose to phrase it that way, but more interestingly why I chose to include what could have simply been an inner dialog leading to me rewording the question.

Anyhow, to the topic of the thread, I think sanity is generally over-rated.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2006, 05:27:06 PM »

In my book there is so such thing as being insane. Eccentric, maybe. But in a good way.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2006, 05:31:45 PM »

In my book there is so such thing as being insane. Eccentric, maybe. But in a good way.

That strikes me as a pleasant, head-in-the-sand kind of thought. No such thing?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2006, 05:35:06 PM »

That strikes me as a pleasant, head-in-the-sand kind of thought. No such thing?

You don't burn your face at least  Smiley
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2006, 05:38:47 PM »

So a person who flies off the wall and starts on a killing spree with a can opener is perfectly sane?

Or just eccentric..in a good way?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2006, 05:39:12 PM »

In Minnesota, in January, that's the least of my worries.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2006, 05:39:53 PM »

I love the cold weather. It's the greatest time for fashion also. All those big puffy coats. Great stuff.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2006, 05:41:35 PM »

I went three years without wearing a coat, living in Minneapolis the entire time. Fact. Idiotic fact, but fact.

SurferGirl7
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2006, 05:42:21 PM »

I hate cold weather... one of my friends is going to Hawaii for four weeks and then Arizona. I'm so jealous  Undecided

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2006, 06:15:32 PM »

Stuck in Michigan. It was 50 degrees this fine late January afternoon. Sumptin's wrong with our weather.
Oh, by the way... Brian is insane. Sweet Insanity. The weather's insane, too. A butthole, just like Van Dyke parks.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2006, 08:17:59 PM »

2005 was something like the warmest year since 1898.

Just showing Global Warming and its delightful little changes.

It's been really warm where I am all year. Only had one snow storm and it was nothing worth noting.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2006, 08:20:42 PM »

Two words: Michael. Jackson.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2006, 08:22:35 PM »

Brian seems to have done alot of stuff that MJ would approve of.

Jungle Gym in doorway.

Business meetings in pool.

Gym assembled in living room, never to be used properly.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2006, 09:44:36 PM »

Don't forget underage love!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2006, 04:43:19 AM »

Personally, I would term Brian as insane.  I'm not a doctor, so ultimately it doesn't matter what my personal opinion is in the slightest.   Any way you look at it, though, Brian lost the ability to cope with his life, started a long road of self-destructive behavior, isolated himself from his friends and his family, had irrational fears like the previously mentioned bugs in his house... has audible hallucinations, offered his daughter lsd, for periods of time didn't take care of things like personal hygeine, etc. etc.

I'm not beating the guy up but if anybody was insane, Brian Wilson was.  Luckily he's pretty much a teddy bear and would never hurt anybody but himself, so it's not that big of a deal. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2006, 07:36:20 AM »

As the saying goes, he's much better now

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2006, 10:24:42 PM »

In my opinion, Brian is a little off. More so in times past than now.

A paragraph from the Holland promo booklet will always be in my memory:
As if things weren't hair-raising enough, there was the ticklish business of Brian. Brian had not budged in seven years, ever since he gave up touring with the band. His hearing is difficult and painful and he is intensely shy - perhaps the more so for having been dubbed "brilliant" or "genius" by various admirers. Any description of him as a homebody or private person would still fall short of the truth. He once retired to his room, somewhere in the rambling Edgar Rice Burroughs house in Bel Air, for six solid months. To further avoid even local travel, he constructed a substantial studio in the living room of this same house (a 30's Gothic affair, right down to the secret panels). With their passion for technological improvement, the group gradually made this studio obsolete by their own standards, and besides, Brian's wife thought it was about time to do some living in the living room. The studio was duly dismantled.   Getting Brian to Amsterdam was every bit as touch-and-go as getting Bobby Fischer to Reykjavik. A miasma of false starts and silences. His wife, kids and housekeeper went over first. Twice Brian got as far as the airport and turned back. The third time he appeared to get on the plane. A phone call went through to Amsterdam to confirm it. But three hours after the plane landed there was still no sign of him. A search of the aircraft yielded Brian's ticket and passport, abandoned on his seat. Oblivious to the panic was Brian who had shuffled off the plane and fallen asleep on a couch in the duty-free lounge, where he eventually was found.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2006, 12:48:46 AM »

I have been following this thread off and on, and I have to ask what we mean by insane? Insanity is a legal judgment, not a clinical judgment. From that standpoint, Brian was adjudicated as needing a financial conservatorship for several years.

The book most therapists use is the DSM-IV TR, and it is mostly a tool we use to help third party payers understand what is being addressed in treatment. There are certainly more than enough labels in that book to keep people busy.

Insanity is probably best defined as a social role connoting a type of inability to function according to accepted dominant cultural and social mores. I think that Brian's behavior would probably fit that definition in some domains of his life. But he certainly has shown some qualities that are far sane than most people too.

From a medical model, there are several forms of mental illness that would cause one to have trouble dealing with accepted cultural mores. The first would be schizoaffective or type II bipolar disorders. The second would be serious, long term addiction. Both of these fors of mental illness are very debilitating.

So, this is not a simple question, and I think it deserves some serious examination. It is not as easy to answer as it first appears. 

If it runs amuck, call the duck
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2006, 02:31:18 AM »

first appear?!?!?!!?
sheeyot mang,
what would a good thread be,
if it didnt end in a plus and add up to a negative?
insane? sh*t man, i think its pretty vague as far as brian is concerned...i love him...
i think we all ask ourselves the question....
    are we insane? 
nobody knows but me,
nobody knows but me,
who am i?
nobody else can see
JUST YOU AND ME, but
who are we?
OH MY LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2006, 06:42:20 AM »

People with mental illness are very loveable...and loving. What ever may be wrong, they are still people first. Labels aside, they are so much more than their illness.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2006, 08:34:39 AM »

People with mental illness are very loveable...and loving. What ever may be wrong, they are still people first. Labels aside, they are so much more than their illness.
So true.   Smiley

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Jason
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2006, 02:08:43 PM »

Post of the year.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx