gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:00:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is everyone listening to?  (Read 38447 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 07:16:53 PM »

Dug out Lou Reed Live. I first got this album back in 1975(?) for free by subscribing to Creem magazine.

Good song selections - "Viscious", "Satellite Of Love", and "Sad Song".  Lou's "hit" single "Walk On The Wild Side". And an amazing dual guitar solo on "Oh Jim".

I think this and its companion live album are better as a historical document than as albums. I don't think there's a single song I prefer on there to its original incarnation. (I've always preferred Rock N Roll Animal between the two, mostly because I swear Reed comes in singing "Sweet Jane" before the band is ready for him. I mean, it's not like it matters, but the way the lead guitar is kind of mid-phrase is funny.)

I'd love to see an official video release of that (those? was it one or two that made those albums?) show. I know there is video--I've seen fragments in various Reed documents and on youtube. I think the entire thing, maybe with some special interviews or something, would be fantastic.

You know, it's funny, other than "Oh, Jim", I don't think I prefer any of the songs to the original incarnations either, yet I enjoy the live versions ALMOST AS MUCH as the originals, if that makes any sense.

A video would be excellent. Are there any Lou Reed concert DVD's out there?

What I'd really like to see is some creative re-packaging. Do Rock And Roll Animal and Lou reed Live sell anymore? How about re-packaging them together under Lou Reed Live In Concert along with an accompanying DVD?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 07:21:07 PM »

There are a couple of Lou Reed live dvds. One is from Montreux, circa 2000 or so (it's the Ecstasy tour, I know). Then there is the VU reunion from 95 or so. I want to say there's another 2000 one, too, but I can't recall.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2008, 03:43:23 PM »

A couple posts up I plugged Willie Nelson' new CD Moment Of Forever.

The title song is a Kris Kristofferson song, and it is great. "Moment Of Forever" is right up there with "Always On My Mind" IMO. And Willie, who will soon be 75 years old, sounds about half his age on this track, and the entire album.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2008, 04:01:41 PM »

At the moment I'm listening to Passing Ships, a 1969 album by jazz composer/pianist Andrew Hill. While I've only discovered Hill in the past few months, I am thrilled by him. This album is like a cross between the quirkiness (especially rhythmically, on the piano) of Thelonious Monk and the Gil Evans-Miles Davis big ensemble collaborations (The title track here is especially reminiscent of parts of Sketches of Spain).

And it's really a great band: Hill joined by woodwind player Joe Farrell, trumpeters Woody Shaw and Dizzy Reece, ex-Miles bassist Ron Carter, drummer Lenny White and one apiece on french horn, tuba and trombone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

bedshaped1987
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »

I wanted to post again! This time with a new band I'm really into called The Black Summer Crush. And the song "Between the lines" has been playing on my ipod over and over.. they're really amazing and have a sound that's reminiscent of the beatles and the who. I'm sooooo digggin it. I highly recommend you guys checkin them out.. myspace.com/theblacksummercrush

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 04:49:50 PM »

Roll Eyes Someone should ban this guy. I think it's a bot.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 09:57:51 AM »

hmm 3 out of 4 posts he does mention the same band...we'll see.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 02:04:03 PM »

I'm guessing he's the second guy from the right's little brother, doing some press for free. Either that or he's the guy who rips off the Pink Floyd bits (check it out..."Lucky Girl") and since he's not busy at the moment (awaiting Wishing You Were Here to arrive--it's expected any day!), he thought he'd put in a little eLeg Work.

If that's right, do I win some back issues of Beach Boys Minutiae Magazine or something?

PS, I love the guy at the bottom right.

And the one at the top left. They're trying so hard to look like rock stars.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »

If you're right, I'll let you be a dick for a day without any repercussion.

and LOL at the picture...I honestly thought you pulled that from some old 60s band's site til I read the name...

--
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 02:51:50 PM »

If you're right, I'll let you be a dick for a day without any repercussion.

So if I'm wrong I get banned or something?

Oh well, I had a good run.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »

No, its a win-win-win situation for you...

--
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

Those are my favorite situations (followed closely by sticky and tricky, and miles ahead of no-win).

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2008, 10:26:33 AM »

Working on another compilation for the car....I like themes....This one's kind of country/folk/rock, sort of....This is what I have so far:

1. CCR - Born On The Bayou
2. Beach Boys - Cottonfields
3. Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
4. The Band - The Weight
5. Kris Kristofferson - Help Me Make It Through The Night
6. Bob Dylan - Lay Lady Lay
7. Kenny Rogers - Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town
8. Johnny Cash - Sunday Morning Coming Down
9. Willie Nelson - The Warmth Of The Sun
10. Elvis Presley - Always On My Mind
11. Ricky Nelson - She Belongs To Me
12. Tammy Wynette - In My Room
13. The Byrds - Mr. Tambourine Man
14. Gordon Lightfoot - Early Morning Rain
15. Doug Sahm - Mendocino
16. Merle Haggard - Okie From Muskogee
17. Ronnie Milsap - Smokey Mountain Rain
18. Skeeter Davis - The End Of The World
19. ?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »

^ Look up the now-defunct Beachwood Sparks' album Once We Were Trees. I think you'd like plenty of that, and find several tunes worth including. A little Uncle Tupelo might fit in there pretty well, too.

I'm currently listening to the album "Trumpet," by Foot Foot. I've got to review it, and am sad to say I really don't think it's very good. I find that to be an awkward position, especially when I know a band is young and earnest. They've got moms and dads and boyfriends and girlfriends and egos.

doob
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2008, 11:11:22 AM »

I mix it up a bit. Put some CDs in the car player & hit shuffle.

McCartney-Band On The Run
Beach Boys-Surfs Up
Monkees-Pisces Aquaurius Capicorn & Jones
Brent Cash-How Will I Know If I'm Awake
Super Hits of the 70s Vol 14

That's what's in there now...
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2008, 11:22:31 AM »

Super Hits of the 70s Vol 14

I love that series, a lot of hidden gems in there. I recently came across "Woodstock" by Matthew's Southern Comfort on one of those CD's.

Hey, Luther, who are you reviewing for?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2008, 11:27:26 AM »

30music.com. Mostly indie stuff, although I try to sneak in a little material for the "older folks." (I'm just 31, but to some of them, things like Wilco or Belle & Sebastian are old-people music. When I talk about things like Tom Waits and Bob Dylan, I may as well be their grandpa.)

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »

30music.com. Mostly indie stuff, although I try to sneak in a little material for the "older folks." (I'm just 31, but to some of them, things like Wilco or Belle & Sebastian are old-people music. When I talk about things like Tom Waits and Bob Dylan, I may as well be their grandpa.)

Yeah, but look at it this way, you're "educating" them! police
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »

I like to think of it working the opposite direction, too. In the years I've (on and off) written for them, I've been introduced to Herman Dune, Half-Handed Cloud, Puerto Muerto, Sons & Daughters, Inara George, Voxtrot, the Paper Chase, Fiery Furnaces and a handful of other artists I hadn't before heard that I now hold in high regard. There are more misses than hits, but I'll take a mom & pop diner over a McDonalds every time, you know?

doob
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2008, 11:52:11 AM »

Have to say my favorite on that particular disc is So You Are A Star by The Hudson Bros.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2008, 12:26:27 PM »

Have to say my favorite on that particular disc is So You Are A Star by The Hudson Bros.

?? What disc?

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2008, 01:43:06 PM »

'cause of doing a little "school" ( Wink ) work, believe it or not, i am listening to the hollyridge strings play the beach boys song book vol 2 at the moment.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
doob
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2008, 02:18:07 PM »

?? What disc?

Rhino's Super Hits of The 70s Vol 14
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »

?? What disc?

Rhino's Super Hits of The 70s Vol 14

Ah. You were quoting unrelated posts, so it was a little confusing.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2008, 02:04:35 PM »

Listening to She's Got Rhythm, such a catchy song, I don't care what anyone says.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx