gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681511 Posts in 27640 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 10, 2024, 09:39:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is everyone listening to?  (Read 39018 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 08:56:22 AM »

As you might have guessed, I've never been thrilled with the production on Oh Mercy. (I liked Lanois at the time--I recall being very excited by The Joshua Tree, just like the bulk of the known universe in the late 80s.) But I do like the songs, or at least some of them. It's an improvement over some of his then-recent stuff.

Under the Red Sky is more my style production-wise, but it's definitely not as deep in terms of songs.

After posting the above, I listened to World Gone Wrong for the second or third time this weekend. Now that's an album whose production really suits me, and whose material is top-notch. I'm very glad Dylan did the acoustic thing for a while there. It seems that he came back from those albums much stronger, like he used them as a springboard from which to really give the industry the finger and eschew production trends for the most part.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 09:12:30 AM »

After posting the above, I listened to World Gone Wrong for the second or third time this weekend. Now that's an album whose production really suits me, and whose material is top-notch. I'm very glad Dylan did the acoustic thing for a while there. It seems that he came back from those albums much stronger, like he used them as a springboard from which to really give the industry the finger and eschew production trends for the most part.

Interesting point; I think you'e right. I'm gonna give World Gone Wrong another listen myself.

Luther, buried somewhere below here is a Bob Dylan thread. I'd like to read your thoughts on various Dylan subjects; I know there are a couple of other Dylan fans lurking also...

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 11:57:54 AM »

Just picked up "Tommy" by The Who on CD.  First I've listened to the whole thing since I had it on an 8-track tape way back when.

If you're too young to remember 8-track tapes (or vinyl records), you missed all the good music.  Smiley

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »

"She's a Jar" by Wilco.

Not a bad song, though I prefer Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to Summer Teeth (save for "Can't Stand It", "I'm Always In Love", and "How To Fight Lonliness").

And as horrible as it is, I've got this weird urge to listen to the Summer In Paradise album.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 05:18:04 PM »

Mountain Goats. Lots of them.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 05:56:26 AM »

"She's a Jar" by Wilco.

Not a bad song, though I prefer Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to Summer Teeth (save for "Can't Stand It", "I'm Always In Love", and "How To Fight Lonliness").
I've always liked "Being There" too. Great band, Wilco. Can't go wrong really with any of their albums (that includes "Sky Blue Sky"). Check out the "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" demos as well, excellent stuff. 

I'm listening to another oldie: "Trouble Is A Lonesome Town" by Lee Hazlewood.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 09:04:32 AM »

"She's a Jar" by Wilco.

I've always liked "Being There" too. Great band, Wilco. Can't go wrong really with any of their albums (that includes "Sky Blue Sky"). Check out the "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" demos as well, excellent stuff. 

I'm listening to another oldie: "Trouble Is A Lonesome Town" by Lee Hazlewood.

The YHF demos are what got me into Wilco in the first place. Why "A Magazine Called Sunset" didn't make it onto the final cut of YHF is beyond me.

And right now I'm listening to...gasp..."Matchpoint of Our Love" from the MIU Album. Shocked

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2008, 01:44:50 PM »

I've rediscovered the Wondermints.  A nice little band.  I heard they've given up their career to back up some guy from the 60's on a comeback career.

I've also rediscovered early Beatles.     I didn't know it until I read the fine print, but it appears that they do several songs by that Perkins guy who played in the Psycho Movie!

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2008, 03:46:29 PM »

Still really loving "What The Toll Tells" by Two Gallants. A great mixture of early 60's Dylan, the Rawness of Nirvana, and the Americana feel of Modest Mouse. One of my all-time favorite albums.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »

Beatles '68 demos.

SG7
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »

Back to playing Message Of Our Love by The Association the stereo version a lot.

Also a lot of BW shows.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 03:34:53 AM »

I've also rediscovered early Beatles.     I didn't know it until I read the fine print, but it appears that they do several songs by that Perkins guy who played in the Psycho Movie!

-Edit-
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:54:09 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2008, 06:22:31 PM »

Southwest F.O.B. - Smell of Incense

Led Zeppelin 1 thru 4

Small Faces - Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Beach Boys - 1964 thru 1967 (misc.)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:29:28 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 11:19:16 AM »

Beach Boys, Ramones, Queers, Fear, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, X, Minutemen, Agent Orange, Dwarves....
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2008, 04:35:47 PM »

Willie Nelson's new CD, Moment Of Forever.

It's co-produced by Kenny Chesney, it's gotten mixed reviews, but I find it enjoyable. The sound is crystal clear, there are some good covers and interesting new ones, but most of all, Willie is in great voice!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2008, 04:41:29 PM »

Grand Archives, Mountain Goats, some Neutral Milk Hotel demos ('93-'95) and all weekend long, Zappa. Mostly the first four albums, but some of the other stuff up through 1970, too.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 06:06:11 PM »

Willie Nelson's new CD, Moment Of Forever.

It's co-produced by Kenny Chesney, it's gotten mixed reviews, but I find it enjoyable. The sound is crystal clear, there are some good covers and interesting new ones, but most of all, Willie is in great voice!

Willie's the man . Honestly, I pretty much despise country, but he 's an exception....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 08:00:42 AM »

I love the album he did with Ryan Adams ("Songbird"), I think it was in 2005.

Besides The Beach Boys, I'm still listening to another 'outlaw': the great Lee Hazlewood, plus various other albums (Van Morrison's "Veedon Fleece", R.L. Burnside's "A Ass Pocket Of Whiskey", Harry Nilsson, The Jayhawks, Alex Chilton, Scott Walker etc. etc.).

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 09:01:56 AM »

This past weekend, after rereading Stone Alone, I got out my Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings cds. 

If you like early 50's bop and R&B, you'll love this stuff.  Its been quite successful in the UK from what I hear, but less so here in the USA.

Bill on all bass...and on lead vocal here and there.  Lots of first rate guest vocalists you may not have heard...and a cracker jack band on every tune.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »

Dug out Lou Reed Live. I first got this album back in 1975(?) for free by subscribing to Creem magazine.

Good song selections - "Viscious", "Satellite Of Love", and "Sad Song".  Lou's "hit" single "Walk On The Wild Side". And an amazing dual guitar solo on "Oh Jim".
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 10:57:19 AM »

Currently reading Dominic Priorie's "Riot On Sunset Strip" book (thanks AGD for the recommendation) so feelin' in a bit of a mid-60's kinda mood - a soundtrack of Boyce & Hart, The Association ... and maybe later some Byrds and Turtles ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 11:25:30 AM »

Jefferson Airplane

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 11:28:07 AM »

A great read.    The Dumb Angel # 4 is a good companion piece to that book.  Really takes you for a tour of the era.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »

Late Night Curly - Montgomery E.P.

besides that:
Phoenix - United
Lou Reed - Transformer
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic

and various other stuff that are just mixed in...this is the stuff I have saved at work. ;x

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »

Dug out Lou Reed Live. I first got this album back in 1975(?) for free by subscribing to Creem magazine.

Good song selections - "Viscious", "Satellite Of Love", and "Sad Song".  Lou's "hit" single "Walk On The Wild Side". And an amazing dual guitar solo on "Oh Jim".

I think this and its companion live album are better as a historical document than as albums. I don't think there's a single song I prefer on there to its original incarnation. (I've always preferred Rock N Roll Animal between the two, mostly because I swear Reed comes in singing "Sweet Jane" before the band is ready for him. I mean, it's not like it matters, but the way the lead guitar is kind of mid-phrase is funny.)

I'd love to see an official video release of that (those? was it one or two that made those albums?) show. I know there is video--I've seen fragments in various Reed documents and on youtube. I think the entire thing, maybe with some special interviews or something, would be fantastic. I doubt you'd get Reed to speak of the shows, being mostly unwilling to talk about his past, but I'm sure they could get band members, other musicians and such. Ric Ocasek was probably at that show, they could ask him about it!

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx