gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:41:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is everyone listening to?  (Read 37944 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2008, 07:58:49 AM »

Iron & Wine, The Shepherd's Dog.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2008, 08:18:41 AM »

Cool; I'm a big I&W fan.

Right now I find I'm spinning these a lot:

The POB reissue (of course)
Weezer's red album
Tusk, Fleetwood Mac
Wincing the Night Away, The Shins

... and also a few MP3s I found online by a band called Ambulance LTD which I really like. I think they have a full album available plus a few EPs, and I'd like to check them all out.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:19:39 AM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2008, 10:06:18 AM »

I'm listening to: BAD WATER - The Raelettes; ESQUINAS - Djavan; ELAINE - ABBA; El Perro Del Mar in general; THE DRIFTER - Steve Lawrence; Joshua Rifkin's Scott Joplin recordings; DUCK YOU SUCKER - Ennio Morricone; various Connie Smith & Skeeter Davis tracks; Del Shannon; Steely Dan; Marcos Valle; . Lots of stuff, really, but does it help?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »

Lou Reed's The Bells

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 30, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »

Lou Reed's The Bells

Don't have this one, quick comment on it?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 30, 2008, 04:06:37 PM »

I actually just wrote about it on Alan's board. http://s3.excoboard.com/exco/thread.php?forumid=31674&threadid=410449  If you can forgive the lack of paragraph breaks (wine really does a number on keyboards), it sums things up.

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 30, 2008, 04:39:53 PM »

Black Foliage (Animation Music Volume One), The Olivia Tremor Control ... pretty spacey in spots, just slightly weird, but leaning attractively toward poppy in other spots.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 04:44:52 PM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 30, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »

I think "Hideaway" is the best song they ever wrote. That and "I Have Been Floated." Both on that album. Frankly, I find a lot of their alleged experimentalism (I don't think there's anything particularly experimental about it) tedious, but when they set their minds to pop, they were a great band. Wish I'd seen one of their reunion shows last year.

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2008, 05:49:18 PM »

Frankly, I find a lot of their alleged experimentalism (I don't think there's anything particularly experimental about it) tedious, but when they set their minds to pop, they were a great band.

I tend to think similarly, inasmuch as I don't think their stuff is quite as trippy or odd as its reputation might suggest. I generally like 'em for their poppier side.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2008, 10:51:03 PM »

Lou Reed's The Bells

Don't have this one, quick comment on it?
As a Lou fan, I must say that it's okay, but not one of my favorites. Very weird, and a decent contrast with Street Hassle, which I think is just poetry (especially the title track). But still, The Bells has some lovely cuts, "City Lights" being my favorite (a huge Chaplin fan as well), "Stupid Man" and "The Bells," which George Starostin described as "a homebred version of Revolution 9." Just a bit tough to listen to all the way through, though Growing Up in Public is much worse and chronologically following.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:36:06 AM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2008, 10:55:06 PM »

I'm listening to a few albums today and tomorrow:
Wind and Wuthering-Genesis: which has grown to be my favorite post-Gabriel Genesis album. When Hackett split, that was it for me.
Under the Skin-Lindsey Buckingham: a terrific mellow and acoustic album, from a big Buckingham fan.
Real Gone-Tom Waits: much better than I thought it would be, just getting into Waits' work; which is fitting because he's touring and I just missed him Roll Eyes
Countdown to Ecstasy-Steely Dan: my favorite Dan album

Anybody else fans of these?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:10:04 PM by TdHabib » Logged

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2008, 12:10:27 AM »

Caroline Herring - Lantana
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2008, 09:46:02 AM »

**Anybody else fans of these?**

Yes. Me. All. I personally like all of Genesis in the '70s, even "And Then There Were Three." Lindsey Buckingham is amazing. He doesn't get the credit he deserves, probably because he came out of one of the biggest classic rock acts of the '70s, but "Tusk" and his solo albums are uniformely great. Strange lyrics, quirky vocals, crazy arrangements. And when he goes acoustic or does ballads, I love the introspective lyrics. There's a Buckingham tune on his third solo album called "Street of Dreams" that gets me everytime.

"Real Gone" is not a Waits album I listen to a lot. The first time I heard it, I thought it was a good rocker, but nothing stood out. I listened to it about five times last year and realized that I liked it a lot. It still hasn't yeilded anything stand-out, like most of his other albums have. But it's probably the only Tom Waits album for which I don't have complete and utter burnout.

"Countdown to Ecstacy" is amazing. The guitar solos on that one are probably the best of any Steely Dan album, in my opinion. There's not a bad song on there, though if I had to pick a favorite, it would be either "Razor Boy" or "My Old School." The cover of this album is genius too.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2008, 12:47:41 PM »

As a Lou fan, I must say that it's okay, but not one of my favorites. Very weird, and a decent contrast with Street Hassle, which I think is just poetry (especially the title track). But still, The Bells has some lovely cuts, "City Lights" being my favorite (a huge Chaplin fan as well), "Stupid Man" and "The Bells," which George Starostin described as "a homebred version of Revolution 9." Just a bit tough to listen to all the way through, though Growing Up in Public is much worse and chronologically following.
For some inexplicable reason, I would rather listen to GUiP anyday. I acknowledge that it's terrible in many ways, but so is The Bells. And here's a weird one--I prefer both of those two to the more highly acclaimed precedent and antecedents, Street Hassle and The Blue Mask, which I consider the two most overrated LR albums ever.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2008, 06:46:42 PM »

For some inexplicable reason, I would rather listen to GUiP anyday. I acknowledge that it's terrible in many ways, but so is The Bells. And here's a weird one--I prefer both of those two to the more highly acclaimed precedent and antecedents, Street Hassle and The Blue Mask, which I consider the two most overrated LR albums ever.
I'll tell you what Lou Reed album's overrated to me--Magic and Loss, I love the title track, but I can't get into anything else. Songs for Drella is much, much superior to my mind (one of my favorites from both Reed and Cale.)

I actually prefer Legendary Hearts to The Blue Mask, but both of them are my favorite LR albums from 1975-1988. Are you a Sally Can't Dance fan by any chance, Luther? We are a dying breed.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2008, 07:31:05 PM »

I love--well, really like--Sally Can't Dance. Coney Island Baby, too. The pop Reed is a good Reed. I am with you on Magic and Loss.

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2008, 06:17:01 AM »

I am with you on Magic and Loss.

As am I. Can't really sit through things like "Harry's Circumcision" very well. Personally I think Songs for Drella is the best thing he's done post-VU. Nothing else even comes close for me.

Now spinning: No Guru, No Method, No Teacher by Van Morrison. "In the Garden" is one of my favorite songs ever.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2008, 01:42:10 PM »

Personally I think Songs for Drella is the best thing he's done post-VU. Nothing else even comes close for me.

Not me. I don't like the sounds on that: those later 80s tones, especially without full band, don't do it for me. And I don't like the "academic" type of presentation. When Lou (and Cale) pretend rock is serious, it drains the life out for me. For me, Lou's best post-VU are by far a few obvious choices (that I'm not ashamed to share), Transformer and Berlin, and then things like New York, Ecstasy, and then CIB, SCD, RNR Animal/Live.

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »

For me, Lou's best post-VU are by far a few obvious choices (that I'm not ashamed to share), Transformer and Berlin...

Well, no accounting for taste. I find one of those lightweight and fake, the other incredibly turgid ...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 02:10:56 PM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »

Being lightweight is exactly what's great about Transformer. It's Lou Reed writing pop songs, and he's great at it. Fake? No harm in that. It's pop music, not autobiography. Bowie and Ronson were a great help, and Lou's songs were strong. As for Berlin, it's more problematic for me, and not as good. But Ezrin's production is great in an entirely different way than Bowie's was on Transformer. The whole album is the opposite, rather than hitting for a pop appeal it's trying to shock you, scare you, impress you. But it's good regardless, even despite the effort. Any faults it has are presented 10x more in Drella.

Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2008, 02:11:47 PM »

The production on Berlin is impressive, I grant you.

Any faults it has are presented 10x more in Drella.

No way.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 02:13:33 PM by Vega-Table Man » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2008, 02:12:15 PM »

Not much of a response I can give to that except "yes way," I guess.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »

Beck

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »

Luther, here are my 6 LR desert Island disks, I'm interested in what yours are:
Transformer (1972) (A+)
Rock ‘n Roll Animal (1974) (A+)
Berlin (1973) (A)
Songs for Drella (1990) (A)
Animal Serenade (2004) (A)
Coney Island Baby (1976) (A)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2008, 05:18:42 PM »

If I got 6 desert island discs and they all had to be Lou Reed (without including VU), I'd be pretty fucking pissed. But if it came down to it, I'd say Transformer, Berlin, Ecstasy, New York, American Poet and ... probably RnR Animal, but not for sure.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx