gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:21:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is everyone listening to?  (Read 38326 times)
bedshaped1987
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2007, 10:07:58 AM »

What is everyone listening to? Write down what's on your playlist and why.

I have Rose Rossi. Her song "Hello To You" has been on repeat for me, she has this Fiona and Tori vibe about which I love. Check out her myspace, she's worth it!

myspace.com/roserossi

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »

Welcome bedshaped 1987!

I am listening to some Christmas music. Yes, it's time! And I came across this holiday tune from The Moody Blues called "December Snow", from their album, December. Has anybody heard it? There's also a live version of it (which I like better) from their last live album. Justin sings it great.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 02:01:54 PM »

I am listening to some Christmas music. Yes, it's time!

NOOO! I think you ought to be forced to produce written permission for each Christmas song you listen to. Oh GAWD I despise most of the stuff. Even though I liked the BW Xmas album and think the BBs one has its moments, I can only listen to bits of them, too. Holiday music just doesn't do it for me.

As for my playlist, I'm trying to round up the year's highlights and those things I may have missed so I can produce something I feel semi-confident in as a year-end favorites list (even though I know that, as always, I'll discover something in Jan. 2008 that's from 2007, and I missed).

I'm also paying a lot of attention to two Herman Dune albums, Giant and Mash Concrete Metal Mushroom. The former, in particular, is flat-out brilliant.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:06:24 AM »

I just finished listening to the new Eagles record, "Long Road Out of Eden".  I have heard some people praising this thing and I just can't understand why!!  I'm just glad I didn't pay for it!  The first single, "How Long", is pretty good.  Nothing great, but a solid slice of harmless country rock with some really good harmonies, nice guitar work from Joe Walsh,  and a good Glen Frey lead vocal.  That is the only thing on this slick overproduced pop record worth mentioning.  I didn't have high hopes, but I expected seasoned veterans to do better.  If you are interested in hearing it, DON'T BUY IT!  There are plenty of, ahem, other ways to get it.  One more note about it, Timothy Schmidt should never be allowed to write or sing a song again.  His contributions to the record are worthless pap.

Now then, to get the bad taste of that album out of my mouth, I pulled up Ted Leo and the Pharmacists "Shake the Sheets" album.  If you haven't heard him, find his stuff immediately!  You won't be sorry!  Awesome pop/indie rock with killer melodies and guitar work.  The first song from that record, "Mia and Me", is a masterpiece!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 07:47:15 AM by CosmicDancer » Logged

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:30:22 AM »

Right now: this year's "The Unfairground" by Kevin Ayers, before that "Here, My Dear" by Marvin Gaye, an underrated classic if you ask me.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:22:35 AM »

Lately I've been listening a lot to Julia Kent's beautifully layered cello music:
http://www.myspace.com/julia_kent
Might appeal to anyone who's into the likes of Talk Talk, Arthur Russell, or any minimalist ambient music.
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 03:11:45 PM »

At present, the brand new PJ Harvey album (bought it on vinyl yesterday) and also Fu Manchu's We Must Obey and the Doors' archive release from this year, Live in Boston 1970.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2007, 01:45:22 AM »

Lee Hazelwood 'Cake Or Death'
Ry Cooder 'My Name Is Buddy'
Deep Purple 'Made In Japan'
Andrew Hill 'Passing Ships'
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 02:43:28 AM »

I've been listening to this band I recently discovered called Camera Obscura. They are a 6 piece indie pop band from Glasgow, Scotland. Their frontwoman Tracyanne Campbell has a beautiful voice. They remind me a little of The Cardigans, except not so loungy sounding. They have kind of a new wave meets 60s pop vibe to them.  Some of their songs sound like something from Today/Summer Days or Pet Sounds. They are also reminiscent of Burt Bacharach and The Zombies. The song "If Looks Could Kill" sounds like its straight out of the 60s.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 07:15:26 PM »

Been listening to a lot of Joanna Newsom lately, along with some Ladytron, and The Bird & The Bee.

[quote[I've been listening to this band I recently discovered called Camera Obscura. They are a 6 piece indie pop band from Glasgow, Scotland. Their frontwoman Tracyanne Campbell has a beautiful voice. They remind me a little of The Cardigans, except not so loungy sounding. They have kind of a new wave meets 60s pop vibe to them.  Some of their songs sound like something from Today/Summer Days or Pet Sounds. They are also reminiscent of Burt Bacharach and The Zombies. The song "If Looks Could Kill" sounds like its straight out of the 60s.[/quote]
Yes!!! There's a radio station I listen to, 91.7 FM  KTRU (which is the Rice University radio station), and they play them a lot. That's how I first heard of them. I was listening to that station, just tripping over the fact that my band finally got played on the radio(!), and they were the act that followed us on the playlist! So, yeah, I'm a bit of a fan.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 04:44:50 AM »

Been listening to a lot of Joanna Newsom lately, along with some Ladytron, and The Bird & The Bee.

Joanna's music is wonderful, maybe an acquired taste (it's not everybody's cup of tea), but her last record "Ys" is outstanding. Check out Marissa Nadler as well.

As for myself: a lot of Caribou ("Andorra"), Great Lake Swimmers ("Ongiara"), Radiohead ("In Rainbows" of course) and (former Merry-Go-Round member) Emitt Rhodes (various albums).
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 04:52:03 AM »

I've been listening to this band I recently discovered called Camera Obscura. They are a 6 piece indie pop band from Glasgow, Scotland. Their frontwoman Tracyanne Campbell has a beautiful voice. They remind me a little of The Cardigans, except not so loungy sounding. They have kind of a new wave meets 60s pop vibe to them.  Some of their songs sound like something from Today/Summer Days or Pet Sounds. They are also reminiscent of Burt Bacharach and The Zombies. The song "If Looks Could Kill" sounds like its straight out of the 60s.

There "Let's Get Out of the Country" album is absolutely wonderful.  I remember hearing the lead track, "Hey Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken" and being in pure sugary pop heaven!  Great band!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 10:05:50 AM »

I've been just getting into emitt rhodes stuff also.  I like it so far.  Amazing how much his voice (and songwriting for that matter) sounds like McCartney.

Hmmm...Oh I am also listening right now for the first time to Thomas and Richard Frost Visualize.  Very nice and laid back. December Rain, April Laughter is a brilliant heartbreaker of a track.  reminds me of a girl I once knew.  Undecided

I recently heard for the first time also The Millennium - Begin.  I love that album.  The more I listen to it, the more I fall in love with it. Great great production...The Island is so dreamy..It's You is incredible...actually the whole album is a winner.  How did I make it to 32 without hearing this one? 

I am also seriously digging the Turtles Greatest Hits these days.  Damn I cannot find a copy of Turtle Soup anywhere (produced by Ray Davies?) and I am not paying an outrageous import price for it! lol

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 01:37:01 AM »

I'm listening to the new FTD-release of Elvis' "Pot luck"-album:

Awesome stuff from what I would call Elvis' finest time as an recording artist ('60-'63/4). Of course there was still alot of great stuff afterwards but in the 60s it was overshadowed by the soundtracks. The 70s brought back some real great work.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 08:27:20 AM »

i am quilty of listening to a song over and over and over again until everyone around me leaves...lol

right now jerry lee lewis "rockin' my life away" and raspberries "overnight sensation (wanna hit record)"
can't get enough of them today....  Grin

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 02:43:29 AM »

Listening to the local radio, and they're playing Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet". Excuse me for a second while I unplug it and hurl it with great force through the nearest window. Utter garbage.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 05:25:52 AM »

Listening to the local radio, and they're playing Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet". Excuse me for a second while I unplug it and hurl it with great force through the nearest window. Utter garbage.

Would you rather that or the GIOMH album? Cheesy
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 05:39:15 AM »

I was just listening to Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet", a wonderful song..... Like the way she does the "Shh's".....  LOL

Nah, it's The Yardbirds again, with "Roger The Engineer", good stuff!  Cool
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 11:09:12 AM »

i am quilty of listening to a song over and over and over again until everyone around me leaves...lol

right now jerry lee lewis "rockin' my life away"

Great stuff ! His liveversions are even better imo. Check out this for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=044050IQkdw

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 12:45:51 PM »

A lot of the upcoming Mountain Goats album; also jazz pianist/composer Andrew Hill.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »

"Nighttiming" by Coconut Records, which is essentially a collection of solo material by actor Jason Schwartzman, the former drummer/founder of the power-pop band Phantom Planet.

I don't like all of the songs, especially the title track, but "This Old Machine" and "Summer Day" are great, catchy little songs that actually resemble organic music played by real person, which I can't say about everything produced these days.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2008, 06:52:30 PM »

Great artist: Kimya Dawson. Can't get enough of her, esp "Tire Swing"

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 06:03:02 AM »

Oh a Mike Kinsella trip atm....been listening to American Football and Owen. Actually just got over my American Football obsession stage and now been listening to a lot of Owen. Also got some new Joan of Arc stuff too which Im happy about.

Also been obsessively listening to my own stuff, see where to go and what to do with it.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 06:49:43 AM »

At the moment, Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy album.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 08:36:57 AM »

At the moment, Bob Dylan's Oh Mercy album.

Love it! I'm a big fan of Daniel Lanois's work with Dylan, although I'm not sure that you are, Luther. I like the sound they got on songs like "Political World", "Shooting Star", and especially "The Man In The Long Black Coat".

Although it's usually criticized, I also like Dylan's follow-up, Under The Red Sky. There are some Oh Mercy outtakes on it, but I think it's an interesting, quirky (in a good way) album.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx