gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:26:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: All Beach Boys/Brian Wilson music things you own  (Read 17122 times)
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »

I haven't played the LP, but someone years ago (before I bought the LP) gave me a tape dub. I listened to it once and put it away.
Yes, Murry does Warmth of the Sun and Al wrote the instrumental "Italia".
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2006, 10:31:28 AM »

Forgot a few: Good Vibrations Box Set, my real introduction to the BBoys (Best Christmas present EVER) after hearing "Surfin'", the first BBoys song I ever heard in the 90's. Pet Sounds Sessions Box, best bday  present ever. City Blues piano demo
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 10:34:05 AM by Old_Master_Painter » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2006, 10:41:37 AM »

I have both box sets as well. I thought it was implied when I said "all studio albums on CD".  I bought the GV box when I was in college - it was a financial choice between that and going to see the BB play at Massey Hall in Toronto(during the "box set tour" of all things!!! man am I still kicking myself over that one!) The PS box was my wife's (who then was my girlfriend) first Christmas present to me.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2006, 10:42:42 AM »

I only own this one thing and it's better than anything in the Beach Boys entire catalog!
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2006, 10:44:24 AM »

I saw that in a used record store in KC for the longest time. They priced it at $25-40 range!
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2006, 10:59:44 AM »

I got it for $2. and sent in some Solo plastic cup UPC labels. It's pretty awful, actually.
Should be called "Mike & Dean: Opportunty Whores."
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2006, 01:35:58 PM »

some of the BB Endless Summer TV shows from' 89

This  was a summer replacement variety show that aired in syndication in '89. The BB had just scored big with Kokomo so their profile was once again, fairly high. It featured then-recent BB concert performances, BB performances on the Universal Soundstage, musical and comedy guests (a then relatively unknown Ellen Degeneres was one such guest). But the highlight of each episode was the "campfire singalongs". The BB, most of their families, their sidemen, and others gathered around a capfire with acoustic guitars playing and singing a la the BB Party album. Pretty sweet stuff! This show was a brainchild of one of the Full House producers who had the good sense to hire Steve Binder to direct the thing. Binder was the guy who directed Elvis' 68 Comeback Special. Now that I think about it, the Campfire jams was probably Binder telling the BB, "I did this sitdown set for the Elvis special----I think it might make for interesting viewing". Alan Boyd included a short clip from this show in ENDLESS HARMONY (the clip of the guys playing "Surfin'")

BW Lost Hotel Tape

This was a home video shot at a hotel on an early 90's BB tour. It had Brian, BJ, Jeff Foskett, and John Stamos all around a piano shooting the sh*t and playing tunes. Great fun to watch (even if the quality is crap).
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2006, 01:39:43 PM »

Aside from the usual audio, video, books, and tour programs:

- The two albums of Beach Boys songs as played by the Hollyridge Strings
 - All of the little die-cast BB cars from circa 1999
 - Framed Frank Holmes Smile litho
 - The Beach Boys Barbie (circa 1988), including the little flexi-disc record with a song by Brian
 - A reel-to-reel tape of Wild Honey
 - An 8-track of Beach Boys Love You, purchased by my dad in 1977 and played only once
 - Smile concert program, signed by everybody except Brian after one of the first Smile UK concerts (thanks, Dan Lega!)
 - An Orange Crate Art poster, signed by Van Dyke Parks
 - A mint Capitol 45 of "Caroline, No" signed by Brian (autograph obtained by me at Brian's M&G at Tower Records in NYC, 7/24/98)
 - And the center of the collection...a battered 8-track tape called Good Vibrations, released in 1971 on the Pickwick label.  Even though it doesn't seem like much, this collection of songs is what showed me that there is more to the Beach Boys than what is on Endless Summer.  I obtained this tape in 1982 when I was 10.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
Noble Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Noble Surfer, he's the #1 man!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2006, 09:56:20 AM »

LP's:

All the mono versions, duophonic, and stereo(note, have Surfin' Safari mono with dual Side 1 labels, Concert w/inside pages, Party w/trading cards, Stack-o-Tracks w/booklet, Holland w/Fairytale EP)
All of the comilations(including various diff. colored labels)
Brian's 1 solo album, GIOMH, and SMiLE
Rarities
Endless Summer(Promo)
10 Years of Harmony(Promo)
Made in The USA(Promo)
High Water
GV Best of

45's:
GV
HMR
Surfin' USA
Cal. Girls
Brian's Your Imagination bw/Your Imagination vocals
All 3 colored BW GV 45's

(All records I own are either in mint or near mint. I wont settle for anything less  Grin )

CDs:

All the 1990 2fers and single cds
all the newer 2fers and single cds
Endless Summer
Endless Harmony, both versions
Still Crusin'
SIP
30 Years Boxed set
PS Boxed set
Sounds of Summer
Ultimate Christmas
Hawthorne, CA
BW's SMiLE
BW's WIRWFC
BW's 1st solo
BW's IJWMFTT
Orange Crate Art
BW's Imagination
BW's Live at Roxy
BW's PS Live
BW's GIOMH
Live in Knebworth
The Honeys
Many Moods of Murry Wilson
How To Speak Hip(I know it isnt BB's but I had to get it :D Grin )

Cassette Tapes:
Endless Summer
some 1990's tapes with Surfin' USA to Little Duece Coupe

8-Track Tapes:
Endless Summer
Spirit of America
Today
PS

Reel to Reel Tapes:
PS

DVDS and VHS:
Endless Harmony
Live in Knebworth
Beautiful Dreamer
American Band /IJWMFTT
BW A & E
Lost Concert
Some BB's Now and Then(some show on news ch.)
Misc. shows from around the TV ch's.
Full House and Baywatch episodes

Books:
David Leaf's
Tim White's
LLVS
Brian's so-called autobio
The BB:Silver Anniversary by John Milward

2 Frank Holmes SMiLE Litho's
Lot's of magazines with BB's or BW articles
Tons of BB's/BW pictures taken from concerts/magazines/internet
2 BB's shirts
old style SMiLE shirt and new style
misc. BB's/BW keychains, buttons, programs

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure that's all of it though.

SURF'S UP!!!
NOBLE SURFER

"I'm not a genius, I'm just a hardworking guy"-Brian Wilson
"Let the love I have for you, live in your heart...forever"-Dennis Wilson "Forever"
Evenreven
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2006, 04:46:05 AM »

Then I have (or got for my friend) a "Kokomo" liscence plate signed by Mike, Bruce and the rest of the band from last year.
That's beyond perfect. Congrats.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »

Wow -- I used to have one of those kites.   They fell apart, and I don't know what happened to them.  Had forgotten all about it.  I do still have a 15 Big Ones Frisbee.
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2006, 05:20:13 PM »

I haven't played the LP, but someone years ago (before I bought the LP) gave me a tape dub. I listened to it once and put it away.
Yes, Murry does Warmth of the Sun and Al wrote the instrumental "Italia".

Seems like Brad Elliott claimed a few years ago that Brian co-wrote one of the Murry tunes without credit on the LP.  It might have been "Heartbreak Lane."
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2006, 05:09:53 PM »

Yes, I do remember Brad saying that and I was going to mention it myself in my post, but I couldn't and don't remember the song title.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx