gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:17:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jan & Dean's "Carnival of Sound"  (Read 7319 times)
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2005, 06:05:33 AM »

This thread should continue from the old board . . .

Original Discussion:
http://comiclist.com/smileysmile/viewtopic.php?t=10681

JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 03:55:10 AM »

I´m a little bit late to this topic, but the new board seems like a great opportunity to chime in. Could someone post some mp3´s of the songs? Because all these torrent-rapidshare-sh*t doesn´t work for me (ok, I´m to stupid for it). I´ve only heard the string-demo of "Fan Tan" so far, and it sounds amazing.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 08:27:54 AM »

JRauch,

I'm sure someone else can post some mp3 files of the originals . . . but I thought I'd take the opportunity to help generate further interest in our forthcoming Jan Berry / Jan & Dean Tribute Album.

Our entire album has been mapped out ahead of time . . . note for note . . . based on Jan Berry's original music scores from the '60s. The following mp3 file represents a rough midi model (a mock-up, if you will) of "Mulholland" . . . a track from Carnival of Sound . . . that will appear on our tribute album.

The idea is to give listeners a better idea of some of the things that are happening on these tracks . . . nuances that are not fully apparent from listening to the original acetates and bootlegs (which are of poor quality).

As it stands right now, our album will feature at least five tracks from Carnival of Sound.

In this mock-up, the lead and backing vocals are rendered on organ, to simulate the vocal sustains. (Please understand that this is simply a model . . . and is not the actual track that will appear on our album).

This is Psychedelic Jazz . . .

MULHOLLAND — 1968 — (mp3) (Rough Midi Demo Only)
(Jan Berry - Roger Christian)

Jan Berry's Original Music Score Transcribed and Adapted by Mark A. Moore

All rights reserved.

M.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 08:56:55 AM by Mark A. Moore » Logged

JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 11:26:00 AM »

Smiley Thank you Mark. Sounds great, I´m really looking forward to this tribut-album.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
pins
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 12:32:48 PM »

i'm in the middle of getting this album right now.  it sounds excellent, just the kind of thing i want to listen to right now.  thanks for the recommendation.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 07:07:49 PM »

12 tracks are available for download via my blog:

http://idigworms.blogspot.com/2005/10/mp3s-jan-deans-lost-album-carnival-of.html
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 03:45:15 PM »

Mark,

I've been listening to Carnival of Sound quite alot lately and have also been enjoying a few cuts from the collection, All the Hits. Songs in particular that have have caught my ear were, "You Really Know How To Hurt A Guy" and "I Can't Wait To Love You". Any particular album I should look into for more songs like this?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2006, 06:46:14 PM »

Mark,

I've been listening to Carnival of Sound quite alot lately and have also been enjoying a few cuts from the collection, All the Hits. Songs in particular that have have caught my ear were, "You Really Know How To Hurt A Guy" and "I Can't Wait To Love You". Any particular album I should look into for more songs like this?

Heroes,

You'll want to check out Jan & Dean's Folk 'n Roll LP from 1965. Here's a link to the complete track list:

Folk 'n Roll — Track List and Credits

M.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 06:58:53 PM »

Mark --

Over the holiday I snagged a sealed copy of Command Performance/Batman CD at a record shop for $25.  Good price?  What do you think of the quality of the music/sound/mastering?  Also, per Ian's recommend, I got a copy of the Pop Symphony twofer also on One Way Records (much cheaper, $8 on eBay) that should be in soon.  After all of the J&D talk, I decided to sample some for myself.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 07:13:56 PM »

The track for Hawaii was deleted for inactivity.  Can you re-post it perchance?

Also In the Still of the Night.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 07:16:31 PM by Jeff Mason » Logged
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 08:37:42 PM »

Mark --

Over the holiday I snagged a sealed copy of Command Performance/Batman CD at a record shop for $25.  Good price?  What do you think of the quality of the music/sound/mastering?  Also, per Ian's recommend, I got a copy of the Pop Symphony twofer also on One Way Records (much cheaper, $8 on eBay) that should be in soon.  After all of the J&D talk, I decided to sample some for myself.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jeff,

For the most part, I like the One Way re-issues . . . They're pretty good renderings of the original stereo versions.

• COMMAND PERFORMANCE was "live" (finished in the studio). Most of the vocals are thin (unlike the studio versions), but you get a bit of the J&D humor onstage (especially in "Dead Man's Curve"). The cover of "Louie, Louie" kicks butt . . . with a radical vocal by Dean, great two-part harmony, and a solid brass arrangement by Jan.

The announcer is Roger Christian . . . and J&D take the stage to Jan's arrangement of "The Brave Bull."

• JAN & DEAN MEET BATMAN is a cult classic. Over-the-top comedy, with intricate sketches . . . descended from Stan Freberg and Dickie Goodman, but a precursor of the Firesign Theatre, Richard Pryor, and Lilly Tomlin, etc. The comedy sketches involved "Captain Jan, and Dean the Boy Blunder" . . . while the musical numbers referenced the Batman and Robin characters.

The instrumentals on this album are very strong . . . including Neal Hefti's "Batman Theme". And "Mr. Freeze" has a"spy" feel to it, with a brass arrangement that really matches the motifs from the 1966 TV show.

"Robin the Boy Wonder" is solid . . . and "Flight of the Batmobile" sounds like something out of a musical stage production.

Basically, Jan & Dean savage the TV show . . . even copping the use of alliteration.

But the most ingenious thing about this album is the series of "Bat Cues" and backing music themes that play between and under the spoken comedy sketches. I have the original music scores for these (arranged by Jan Berry and George Tipton) . . . and it's really intricate stuff, with a very exotic, moody, and Gothic feel to it. A hell of a lot of amazing work to be mostly buried in the sketches.

The "Batman" single and "Anaheim, Azusa ..." (the latter from the Little Old Lady LP) feature Jan's most complex vocal arrangements. For a musical breakdown of these two pieces, read my analytical essay — Jan Berry 101: A Study in Composition, with Bach, Old Ladies, and Bats — (ESQ version in PDF).

The narrator on the Batman LP is Roger Christian.

• POP SYMPHONY is a masterpiece. This was Jan's pet project of 1965 (arranged by Jan and George Tipton) . . . and it goes beyond a mere "strings" album. "Little Old Lady" and "Drag City" are full-blown works for symphony orchestra . . . and the latter features some fantastic concert snare drum work from Hal Blaine. If you didn't know the names of these two songs, you would not recognize them in their symphonic incarnations.

The two-part mandolin leads on "New Girl In School" are smile-inducing.

Jan had previously started to incorporate orchestral / symphonic elements into his 1964 productions "Anaheim, Azusa ..." and "When It's Over." In 1965, he also used orchestral arrangements for "You Really Know How to Hurt A Guy" and "It's A Shame to Say Goodbye" (aside from the Pop Symphony versions).

• DRAG CITY is the first important Jan & Dean album in terms of very strong original album cuts (aside from the singles). Stellar album cuts here include: "Drag Strip Girl," "Surfin' Hearse," "Popsicle Truck," "Surf Route 101," and "Hot Stocker."

The original version of "Dead Man's Curve" on this LP is sub-standard (a rush job), and is not the hit single version. Jan's lead vocal is bad, and it lacks the incredible 11-part brass and woodwind arrangement that Jan wrote for the hit-single version in 1964.

Full Track Lists & Credits for These Albums:

Command Performance

Jan & Dean Meet Batman

Pop Symphony No.1

Drag City

M.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 08:56:45 AM by Mark A. Moore » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 05:02:55 AM »

Just got this wonderful CD ! Fantastic ! Everyone: buy it ! You will love it !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 05:58:13 AM »

It's great, even if it isn't technically "Jan & Dean". Love the song about Laurel and Hardy!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2011, 06:39:49 AM »

Might as well ask. On the reissue of Save For A Rainy Day, the tracklisting is insane wrt to mono/stereo/instrumental variations. Does someone have a 'proper' sequencing to this record?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »

Might as well ask. On the reissue of Save For A Rainy Day, the tracklisting is insane wrt to mono/stereo/instrumental variations. Does someone have a 'proper' sequencing to this record?

Here's a link for the "Save For A Rainy Day" track listing:

http://jananddean-janberry.com/boards/index.php?topic=44.0

"Lullaby in the Rain" (aka "California Lullaby") wasn't on the self-issued JD-101 mono version from late '66. But it was on the Columbia version (which was cancelled in early '67).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 12:25:10 PM by Mark A. Moore » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 04:02:19 PM »

Here's a link for the "Save For A Rainy Day" track listing:

http://jananddean-janberry.com/boards/index.php?topic=44.0

"Lullaby in the Rain" (aka "California Lullaby") wasn't on the self-issued JD-101 mono version from late '66. But it was on the Columbia version (which was cancelled in early '67).

were there actually copies of the Columbia LP pressed? if so, how many? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 04:30:15 AM »

Why was it left off? That's one of the best songs on it! Thanks, Mark.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx