gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:15:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 414405 times)
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 18, 2007, 06:59:49 AM »

Are you referring to "I'll Bet He's Nice?"
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 18, 2007, 10:47:09 AM »

How about a prominent backup for Mike on the post-sax solo "you never give me a chance..." on "Come Go With Me?"
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #577 on: October 18, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »

That's Brian singing the Hawaii falsetto lines? It sounds so weird and creepy. sh*t, so much changes in 15 years.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 18, 2007, 12:44:47 PM »

I believe it is Alan on The Bells of Christmas, Mike is only on Belles of Paris.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 18, 2007, 12:53:01 PM »

I believe it is Alan on The Bells of Christmas, Mike is only on Belles of Paris.

Just gave them both a listen and I gotta agree. Good catch.  Afro
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 18, 2007, 01:05:48 PM »

At the end of "Winds Of Change", is there any way you could "up grade" Brian from prominent back-up to a lead vocal because of his singing, "won't last forever".

I've always found that part 1) unbelievably clear-throated based on Brian's other recent vocals, and 2) very emotionally sung, poignant actually. Just a thought...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: October 18, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »

Bruce told me it was Carl. I thought it was Brian, myself.

What song are you speaking about?
Whoops...I meant "I'll Bet He's Nice", the "baby-ooo" part.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 19, 2007, 07:46:34 AM »

How about a prominent backup for Mike on the post-sax solo "you never give me a chance..." on "Come Go With Me?"

That's actually Al, I think.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 19, 2007, 07:47:50 AM »

Al sings Bells of Christmas? Shows how much I listen to that! I'll take a listen tonight.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 19, 2007, 07:50:51 AM »

At the end of "Winds Of Change", is there any way you could "up grade" Brian from prominent back-up to a lead vocal because of his singing, "won't last forever".

I've always found that part 1) unbelievably clear-throated based on Brian's other recent vocals, and 2) very emotionally sung, poignant actually. Just a thought...

Ah, I dunno. That's standard BW schtick. If he was unaccompanied, perhaps. I only included it in prominent back-ups because he hadn't sung falsetto for a very long time, otherwise, we miss out Mike bass parts and Brian high parts because they're part and parcel of what the BBs do.

If there's a massive call for it, though...
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: October 19, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »

John, I know what you mean with Bells. I had to relisten to it myself, just to doublecheck but it is Al and the liner notes also list Al as lead vocal. 
As for Come Go With Me, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Al did all of the parts for Come Go with Me himself. Mike sang that part live though
MBE
« Reply #586 on: October 19, 2007, 06:46:48 PM »

I know Mike lip syncheed the Come And Go With Me line on TV back in 1981
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: October 20, 2007, 04:39:13 AM »

"Bells Of Christmas" lead vocal is Mike ? I don't think so, at least on the Ultimate Christmas track. Unless Alan can also sound like Mike imitating Alan.

Speaking of which, mention must be made that the version of "Melekalikimaka" isn't the same as the version that was circualting since the early 80s. Alan re-recorded some of his lead vocal.

[edit] - maybe next time I'll read all the subsequent threads. Duh !
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 04:42:40 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 20, 2007, 09:18:34 AM »

I listened last night, and blow me down, it is Al!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: October 20, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »

"Bells Of Christmas" lead vocal is Mike ? I don't think so, at least on the Ultimate Christmas track. Unless Alan can also sound like Mike imitating Alan.

Al is the Rich Little of the Beach Boys.  LOL
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 22, 2007, 12:46:01 PM »

John, I know what you mean with Bells. I had to relisten to it myself, just to doublecheck but it is Al and the liner notes also list Al as lead vocal. 
As for Come Go With Me, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Al did all of the parts for Come Go with Me himself. Mike sang that part live though

I'm aware that Al supposedly did all the vocals on CGWM but that notwithstanding I'm pretty sure that the second "you never give me a chance" at 1:32 is Mike, not Al.  (The first one, though, does sound like a double-tracked Al).  What's interesting is that there's a second vocal mixed in the background there that peters out, a rough double.  On the earlier mix of the song that appeared on the original MIU CD release, it's louder in the mix.  I suspect the second vocal might be Al, although it's hard to tell.

It's worth remembering that it's not even clear that the version of the song that Al DIY'd in '76 is the same recording that was ultimately released.  AGD probably has a better feel on this.  Everything else does sound like all Al, although if you told me Carl or Brian were on some of the background vocals (there are a couple of layers there, and extra vocals on the earlier mix), I could accept that too.  There's no question that the track was reworked, and it's easy to imagine Mike wanting to get a line on there just to make it more of a group recording.  That one line is something in the nature of an adlib and if you were going to add one of the other band members, that's the easiest place to do it.

I know it flies in the face of accepted wisdom, but I'm gonna stick with Mike for the one line on the song, Al with the rest.  I just can't buy that that line is Al.  Wrong timbre, wrong attitude.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: October 22, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »

According to ACJ hisself, the night they had a mobile up at Brian's place for recording in 1976, no-one else showed up, so he recorded what he wanted to and did it all himself. Seem to recall reading somewhere that the only element that survived to the MIU version was the drums. Boyd could give you the true gen on this.

And yes, that is Mike doing the bass "you never give me a chaaaaaaaaaaance", to these ears at any rate.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: October 22, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »

I heard the same thing, but I thought the drums were what was replaced?  The source was ACJ in Byron Preiss' book, I think.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: October 22, 2007, 06:48:39 PM »

Adam, I know exactly what you mean...the one bass vocal line sounds like Al, the other like Mike, and that's puzzled me for years.

In the Preiss book, Al said "drums were a little weird...I had to add a second set of drums".  He also said he "added the Beach Boys", so I think you're right on about another layer, probably with Brian & Carl, then Mike on that one line.  Some of these parts are better heard on the alternate mix.  I'd love to hear the mix that was considered for "15 Big Ones" and/or "New Album".  Would be interesting to know if the drums are Dennis or someone else...Kowalski is credited for most of "MIU", but it sounds like the final drums may have been added back in the "15 Big Ones" days, which would make it likely to be Dennis.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: October 22, 2007, 06:55:05 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Al did the bass vocals originally, then had Mike do them, but in the final mix Al preferred himself on the one line, and Mike on the other.   Probably an intonation thing. 

Desper said a similar thing happened on "Forever":  the "together my love" line is a composite, some syllables from Dennis and some from Mike.  Talk about picky.  BTW, other than Mike doing that line, it sounds like the vocals on "Forever" are 100% Wilson Brothers...according to Carl in 1982.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 22, 2007, 07:19:20 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Al did the bass vocals originally, then had Mike do them, but in the final mix Al preferred himself on the one line, and Mike on the other.   Probably an intonation thing. 

Desper said a similar thing happened on "Forever":  the "together my love" line is a composite, some syllables from Dennis and some from Mike.  Talk about picky.  BTW, other than Mike doing that line, it sounds like the vocals on "Forever" are 100% Wilson Brothers...according to Carl in 1982.

If you listen to the vocals only mix of Forever you can hear Mike adding the line "Baby" throughout...as in "Together my love...Baby". Kind of gets lost in the released version.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 22, 2007, 08:27:31 PM »

Sorry to "butt in" here, but isn't it Brian doing the verses on "She's Got Rhythm"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: October 23, 2007, 04:54:45 AM »

Sorry to "butt in" here, but isn't it Brian doing the verses on "She's Got Rhythm"?

Yep...his first full falsetto lead since what, '65?  '66? 
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 23, 2007, 08:31:49 AM »

Wait, what?

The non-falsetto bit is Brian? Because I've got the falsetto refrains (I couldn't call it a chorus because there's only one guy singing) as Brian of course, "Last night I went out disco dancing..." and the verses as Mike, because it sounded like Mike - the bits that go, "She came to my table" etc.

As to that bass vocal being mike, I'll have to listen. It's to my shame (or maybe not) that as you might have guessed, I don't listen to MI.U. that much.Wink
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: October 23, 2007, 09:42:06 AM »

Nope, the non-squeaky bits are Mike.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx