gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680716 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:50:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 414281 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: February 25, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »

rare Vocals in question

-Thank Him (obviously Brian. is Bob Norberg on there?)
-Back Home from 63 (Brian's on lead and I feel like I hear mostly Carl on backing vocals, but assuming it's all the guys?)
-Barbie (lead-Brian. I feel like I read somewhere it was Carl and Audree on backing vocals)
-Luau-group vocal? I hear mostly Brian, Carl, and Mike on bass. Who sings the line: "Girls with a hula, Boys will all sing"?
-Lonely Days (both versions on Hawthorne and Get the B00T)- is it Brian who counts them off for the instrumental tracking? Some guy says "I can't get used to it Brian, f***, give me a chance." or something like that...it doesn't sound like Carl's voice, but with the way he's talking about playing, I know Carl has been known to use the harsh language when it comes to not performing well (ie: Girl Don't Tell Me sessions), but he usually apologizes.  Wink  Vocally, I hear Carl, and then is it Bruce I hear on the line "crowded highway, goin my way." Then the chorus comes in, kinda sounds like either Mike or Al joins in.
-With a Little Help from my Friends-Bruce on lead, then Carl and Denny on backing vocals?
-Brian's Back (early version with just choruses sung, nothing sung but backing vocals on the verses)- I hear mostly Brian, Al, and Mike.
-Calendar Girl- Brian on chorus, kinda sounds like his vocals are doubled, but then again, on a different version it sounds like Bruce singing it with Brian. Of course, Mike on verses.
-Jamaica Farewell-I'm thinking this is California Music and not the BB, but then again, I recall them recording a version after L.A. but before KTSA, but I could be wrong. I feel like I hear Bruce on this track...or is this one of those Brian played organ or keys on?
-Michael, Row the Boat Ashore- Mike on lead. I hear Al, Brian, and maybe Carl on backing vocals. BTW, I love the backing vocals to this song, I wouldn't mind hearing a complete/remastered version, maybe the backing track wouldn't sound so cheesy.
-Mony, Mony- Al on lead vocals. Then I hear mostly Brian on backing vocals. A little bit of Mike's bass.
-On Broadway- Al on lead....Brian mostly on backing.
-Runnin' Bear- Mike on lead
-Shake Rattle and Roll- Al on lead, Brian and Carl on backing?
-Let's Go to the Hop- Mike on lead, Al, Carl and Mike (bass) on the backing vocals
-Runaway (live)- Al on lead
-Hard Time-Blondie on lead?
-Problem Child- Carl on lead, Mike on bass?
-Imagine (live)- Mike on lead
-Buzz Buzz Buzz (live)- Al on lead?
-Happy Birthday America (live)-Mike on lead
-Sister Golden Hair (live)- idk?
-Draggin' (live with Roger McGuinn 1974)-lead Roger McGuinn?  LOL
-Merry Minuet (live in 1980)- Al and Mike on lead (real dorks too!)
-California Beach/Skatetown USA- Mike on lead...backing vocals, hard to tell, I wanna say Al and Carl, but the quality makes it hard.
-Da Doo Run Run- Carl on lead, Mike and Carl on backing vocals
-Let's Dance/Do you Wanna Dance- Mike on lead, sounds like Al chimes in on the chorus, but again the quality is really bad, even hard to hear on headphones.
-Little Girl- Carl on lead vocals.
-River Deep, Mountain High-Brian on leads
-Go and Get that Girl- Carl on lead

I'm sure I missed a lot, I just wanted to throw a lot of the more rare stuff out there and see if anyone heard something I didn't or has been listening any closer.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1251 on: February 25, 2011, 11:18:40 PM »

I think Mony Mony might be Billy Hinsche, otherwise I agree with you or dont know...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1252 on: February 26, 2011, 01:12:27 AM »

-Thank Him (obviously Brian. is Bob Norberg on there?) - yes

-Back Home from 63 (Brian's on lead and I feel like I hear mostly Carl on backing vocals, but assuming it's all the guys?) - no BB except Brian on the track, vocally or instrumentally

-Barbie (lead-Brian. I feel like I read somewhere it was Carl and Audree on backing vocals) - bvs are Carl, Audree & Alan

-Luau-group vocal? I hear mostly Brian, Carl, and Mike on bass. Who sings the line: "Girls with a hula, Boys will all sing"? - Dennis

-Lonely Days (both versions on Hawthorne and Get the B00T)- is it Brian who counts them off for the instrumental tracking? Some guy says "I can't get used to it Brian, f***, give me a chance." or something like that...it doesn't sound like Carl's voice, but with the way he's talking about playing, I know Carl has been known to use the harsh language when it comes to not performing well (ie: Girl Don't Tell Me sessions), but he usually apologizes.  Wink  Vocally, I hear Carl, and then is it Bruce I hear on the line "crowded highway, goin my way." Then the chorus comes in, kinda sounds like either Mike or Al joins in. - Carl, I think

-With a Little Help from my Friends-Bruce on lead, then Carl and Denny on backing vocals?  -whole band

-Brian's Back (early version with just choruses sung, nothing sung but backing vocals on the verses)- I hear mostly Brian, Al, and Mike. - yup

-Calendar Girl- Brian on chorus, kinda sounds like his vocals are doubled, but then again, on a different version it sounds like Bruce singing it with Brian. Of course, Mike on verses. - possibly

-Jamaica Farewell-I'm thinking this is California Music and not the BB, but then again, I recall them recording a version after L.A. but before KTSA, but I could be wrong. I feel like I hear Bruce on this track...or is this one of those Brian played organ or keys on? - indeed CM, and yes, Brian played organ

-Michael, Row the Boat Ashore- Mike on lead. I hear Al, Brian, and maybe Carl on backing vocals. BTW, I love the backing vocals to this song, I wouldn't mind hearing a complete/remastered version, maybe the backing track wouldn't sound so cheesy.

-Mony, Mony- Al on lead vocals. Then I hear mostly Brian on backing vocals. A little bit of Mike's bass. - lead vocal is Billy Hinsche

-On Broadway- Al on lead....Brian mostly on backing.

-Runnin' Bear- Mike on lead - yes to all the following unless the answer isn't yes... err, if you see what I mean :-)

-Shake Rattle and Roll- Al on lead, Brian and Carl on backing?

-Let's Go to the Hop- Mike on lead, Al, Carl and Mike (bass) on the backing vocals

-Runaway (live)- Al on lead

-Hard Time-Blondie on lead?

-Problem Child- Carl on lead, Mike on bass?

-Imagine (live)- Mike on lead

-Buzz Buzz Buzz (live)- Al on lead?

-Happy Birthday America (live)-Mike on lead - no other BB on the track: 'hidden' track on the Rockin' 4th of July album

-Sister Golden Hair (live)- idk? - Gerry Beckley

-Draggin' (live with Roger McGuinn 1974)-lead Roger McGuinn?  LOL

-Merry Minuet (live in 1980)- Al and Mike on lead (real dorks too!)

-California Beach/Skatetown USA- Mike on lead...backing vocals, hard to tell, I wanna say Al and Carl, but the quality makes it hard.

-Da Doo Run Run- Carl on lead, Mike and Carl on backing vocals

-Let's Dance/Do you Wanna Dance- Mike on lead, sounds like Al chimes in on the chorus, but again the quality is really bad, even hard to hear on headphones. - those are from the sessions Mike did with Adrian Baker in 1982: no Alan

-Little Girl- Carl on lead vocals.

-River Deep, Mountain High-Brian on leads

-Go and Get that Girl- Carl on lead

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1253 on: February 26, 2011, 05:08:08 AM »

Yes, Al sang the lead on their live version of Buzz, Buzz, Buzz.  They did it at the '84 DC July 4th gig, so there's probably video out on youtube or somewhere.  Interestingly, a couple of weeks back I was in my local grocery store, and I heard this song (by the original doo-wop artists) come over the instore speaker system.  It took me a verse or two to realize what it was, as I think the only rendition I'd ever heard was the BBs, and that was ages ago.  I take that back, Huey Lewis and the News also did a version, but again, that was light years ago.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: February 26, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »

I also thought that it was Al that sang Mony Mony, and as I was getting ready to post something about that here we have another instance when even BB associates sound like other Beach Boys, I listened to the song again and it didn't sound like Al anymore. Weird.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 26, 2011, 10:45:11 PM »

On the last thirty seconds or so of Da Do Run Run, I keep hearing a rather shrill sounding high voice that sounds a lot like Brian did in the early to mid 180's. Are yo sure it's only Carl and Mike?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 05, 2012, 04:41:03 AM »

With the new album out, isn't it time (ahahaha) to dissect the vocal lines here so that we can add to the lead vocal sticker thread above?

(Please begin, those of you with better ears than mine!)

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 05, 2012, 05:22:30 AM »

With the new album out, isn't it time (ahahaha) to dissect the vocal lines here so that we can add to the lead vocal sticker thread above?

(Please begin, those of you with better ears than mine!)

The Smile Sessions need it, too. I'd be very willing to help, I made a thread about this about a week ago, but it was quickly buried.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Paulos
« Reply #1258 on: June 05, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »

Can one of the mods add TWGMTR to the vocal credits list? I ask as the original creator of the thread doesn't seem to have posted in 4 years.

That's Why God Made The Radio

1. Think About The Days        - Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce and Jeff in harmony
2. That's Why God Made The Radio     - Brian, Mike and Jeff?
3. Isn't It Time              - Brian, Alan, Mike and Jeff?
4. Spring Vacation           - Mike, Bruce and Brian
5. The Private Life Of Bill And Sue     - Brian   
6. Shelter                       - Brian, Jeff/Bruce?
7. Daybreak Over The Ocean         - Mike, Christian Love?
8. Beaches In Mind           - Mike and Brian?
9. Strange World                   - Brian with Jeff doubling?
10. From There To Back Again          - Alan, Brian
11. Pacific Coast Highway        - Brian
12. Summers Gone           - Brian

I realise this may not be very accurate but it's a start, people with much better ears than I can make the necessary corrections.

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 05, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

Ill have a go at this, just for starters...

1. Think about the days - Brian, Mike, Alan, Bruce and Jeff

2. That's Why God Made the Radio - Verses and B-section: Brian. Second part of first verse Brian and Mike (Cruisin at 7...). Last line prominent vocal bij Alan (Capturing memories...) and Bruce (...In my car). Chorus prominent vocal by Jeff. Last line prominent vocal Bruce (That's why God...). Second part of second verse Brian and Alan (...). Last line prominent vocal by Alan (Receiving a signal...). Tag prominent vocals by Jeff, Mike and Bruce.

3. Isn't it time - First verse Brian, prominent bass vocal by Mike?. Chorus by Bruce and Jeff (first and third part), Alan (second part: Every time I think...), Mike and Jeff (fourth part: Isn't it time?). Second verse: Mike. B-section: Jeff and Mike

4. Spring vacation - First verse: Mike (first and second line), Bruce (third line) and Alan and Mike (last line). Chorus: Brian and Jeff. Second verse: Mike (first and second line), Alan and Mike (third line). B-section: Bruce and Mike (prominent bass vocal).

5. The Private life of Bill and Sue - Verses and B-section: Brian. Chorus: Brian and Jeff alternating, prominent falsetto by Bruce. Radio reporter: Skip Masters.

6. Shelter - Verses: Brian. Chorus: Jeff

7. Daybreak over the ocean - Verses: Mike. Chorus: ? Prominent response vocal on verses and chorus by Christian Love
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:23:04 PM by GuyO » Logged
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: June 05, 2012, 12:58:48 PM »

8. Beaches in Mind - Chorus: Brian and Jeff most prominent. Verses: Mike (first and third line), Mike and Alan (second and fourth line). B-section: Mike

9. Strange world - Brian

10. From there to back again - Verses: Alan. If you just call.. part by Brian and Jeff. Last verse: Brian. Prominent bass vocal: Mike. Whistling: Alan.

11. Pacific Coast Highway - Brian

12. Summer's gone - Brian. Very last word  ...Yesterday vocal respone by Mike
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:24:06 PM by GuyO » Logged
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 05, 2012, 09:45:50 AM »

where is the proposed vocal list for TWGMTR?  Doing that comes up against the established discrepancy that the liner  notes omit Dave....and it's apparent that he is singing in all the promotional materials. We have been down that road before, and only some revelation by Capital or the band will clear it up.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 05, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »

I am pretty damned positive that Brian and Mike both sing Summer's Gone in unison almost the whole way through, ala Kiss Me Baby.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1263 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:18 PM »

My ears aren't as skilled as yours but I'll chime in a little, correct me if I'm wrong

Isn't It Time - Brian prominent on chorus on "...danced the night away" "...just like yesterday"

Strange World - Jeff doubling Brian on chorus

Daybreak Over the Ocean - Features backing vocals by Christian Love, Hayleigh Love, and Adrian Baker. Al (I think?) prominent on the beginning "Bring back..."

Spring Vacation - Falsetto in chorus by Jeff?

Shelter - Last lines of the chorus someone doubles Jeff, sounds like Mike but not sure

Summer's Gone - Similar to above, someone doubling Brian on various parts, could be him as well

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 05, 2012, 06:02:57 PM »

I am pretty damned positive that Brian and Mike both sing Summer's Gone in unison almost the whole way through, ala Kiss Me Baby.

If anyone is singing with Brian, I'd put my money on Jeff.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 05, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »

Mike is the one singing along with Brian on several sections of "Summer's Gone." He answers on the "Maybe I'll just stay" line as well. I don't hear him throughout the tune, though.

Shelter features Brian, Jeff on the first part of the chorus, the Mike on the second part of the chorus. "Do you ever still think of me / and the way that we used to be, etc ..."

I suspect that a handful of the bass vocals on the record are by Brian. Certainly the "bom boms" in the Spring Vacation bridge sound a lot like him.
H Robinson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 13, 2012, 04:13:12 AM »

Could someone please tell me who says:

"Not for us now!" on All Summer Long (All Summer Long)

and

"You're under arrest!" in the Cantina section of Heroes and Villains.

Much appreciated.
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 13, 2012, 05:38:04 AM »

Dennis.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1268 on: July 13, 2012, 05:55:47 AM »

Sounds to me like Jeff doubles Brian for the entirety of That's Why God Made the Radio, in addition to his other vocal tracks.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 27, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »

Hate to see a valuable thread like this cast adrift; i sthere anywhere else it could be moored for easy refernce?

“We live in divisive times.”
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 27, 2013, 10:24:45 AM »

Dennis.

I think that was determined to be Brian.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 27, 2013, 10:38:42 AM »

And yeah, Jeff doubles all of Brian's lead on "Radio" as well as Mike's brief lead before the last chorus. I don't understand why they opted to do something like this on such an important song in their career.

Hate to be critical, I like the album a lot, but it feels like the condition of the guys' voice was intentionally masked throughout the entire record and it kind of sucks and sells the guys way shorter than they deserve. The whole vocal mix and production is a big mess.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 27, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »

Great solution, many thanks Mods. Much appreciated.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 27, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »

Great solution, many thanks Mods. Much appreciated.

It was so intrusive before.

RITE?

REITE?

EIORIOOHHHHH

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 27, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »

Tbh, I find myself automatically skipping the top four posts in the General thread menu now… this solution's better than them being cast adrift to sink to the bottom of the sump.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:05:25 PM by John Manning » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx