gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:24:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 414512 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #650 on: October 30, 2007, 02:17:35 PM »

may not be worth much, but back in 1977 i read an interview of earl manke about love you. in that interview he said that both brian and dennis sang mona and the vocal was a blend of those 2 voices. somewhere in my house i have that interview. may not be right but that is what earl said in that interview.

Hmm. That might be worth mentioning. I don't think Buck was thinking of that interview though, I just think he made a boo-boo. Maybe everyone should listen to Mona tonight, and see if they hear enough hints of Brian to mention it, and then we'll take a vote.

Brad Elliott said that Earle also told him that back when Brad was researching his book, so Brad credited both of them.  Dennis is defintely the dominant voice, although you can hear Brian on the second half of each line. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #651 on: October 30, 2007, 02:42:48 PM »

Regarding L.A. (Light Album):

Did Brian really contribute absolutely no vocals to that album?

I think I read that he's on "Angel Come Home" at least. Someone would need to confirm that though.

I can confirm that Carl said "Brian sang on 'Angel Come Home' and other background parts" (Time Barrier Express, 1979).  When asked if Brian had any production input into the album Bruce said it was "More vocally", and Carl said "It was more performance this time", and then Bruce said "On 'Angel Come Home' it's mostly three-part harmony...until the choruses, then we added Mike".  An article published right around the same time in "Grooves" Magazine said "Brian's only real contribution to the new album has been his singing on a few tracks".  In that article, Carl said "Bruce and I had a lot of fun doing the background parts in Japanese" (on "Sumahama"), which might imply Brian in NOT on that one.

However I can also confirm that Bruce said Brian did NOT sing on "Good Timin'" (in another interview around 1995 or so, and I think he said it was b/c Brian was in the hospital at the time), and we know that he isn't on "Here Comes The Night" despite the fact that Bruce intended to get him on the high part. 

I can confirm that Bobby Figueroa said he did a lot of vocal work on the album with Carl.

And I can't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Brian sang on "Shortenin' Bread" since they reportedly did the vocals in Miami.
MBE
« Reply #652 on: October 30, 2007, 08:47:01 PM »

I think Brian is mixed way to low on Mona for it to matter. I heard (what is said to be) the 1974 Good Timin instrumental with some bare bones vocal harmonies, I think Brian would be on that. Only when the title is sung in harmony would he be present though.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: October 31, 2007, 06:53:26 AM »

I heard (what is said to be) the 1974 Good Timin instrumental with some bare bones vocal harmonies

Wink

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: October 31, 2007, 06:59:27 AM »

However I can also confirm that Bruce said Brian did NOT sing on "Good Timin'"

So, who is singing the falsetto?  Huh

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #655 on: October 31, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »

However I can also confirm that Bruce said Brian did NOT sing on "Good Timin'"

So, who is singing the falsetto?  Huh

Mostly Carl.  Which might be the reason they had Dennis sing the lead at the Radio City Music Hall and Mike sing the lead on the Easter Seals Telethon in early '79:  because Carl was busy singing the falsetto (which you can hear him doing on tapes of those performances).  However, to be honest, that would mostly just affect the chorus of the song, not so much the verses.  But still, that's how they did it.  By May of that year, Carl was doing the lead in concert, and Bobby F. was handling the falsetto, although Bruce did a falsetto part at the very end.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: October 31, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »

The "response" falsetto definitely sounds like Carl to me.

I think we should mention that Brian on Mona thing, with a caveat. Thanks, C-Man!

Now folks, who's singing the "Here comes the Night, oh-oh" segment on HCTN, Alan or Mike?
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: October 31, 2007, 10:37:00 AM »

Carl is singing the falsetto on the RECORD??  Shocked   I hope my brother won't be too sad when I say that the falsetto isn't Brian.  Undecided

BTW My vote is that Al sings the part you asked for, John.

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #658 on: October 31, 2007, 11:03:45 AM »

Carl is singing the falsetto on the RECORD??  Shocked   I hope my brother won't be too sad when I say that the falsetto isn't Brian.  Undecided

BTW My vote is that Al sings the part you asked for, John.

Yep, that's Carl on the record. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #659 on: October 31, 2007, 11:11:53 AM »

Now folks, who's singing the "Here comes the Night, oh-oh" segment on HCTN, Alan or Mike?

The first pass is evidently The Vocoder Kid. Could be Curt, could be the studio janitor.

The next pass - at 2.28 into the LP version - is so obviously Mike that I can't believe anyone could think it's Alan.

However, the same phrase as sung during the chorus does have Alan mixed high in the stack.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Wilsonista
« Reply #660 on: October 31, 2007, 01:10:18 PM »

Why would anybody be sad that Carl sang a falsetto?  It's a beautiful part regardless of who did it.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: October 31, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »

Why would anybody be sad that Carl sang a falsetto?  It's a beautiful part regardless of who did it.

And Carl certainly sang a lot of them.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: October 31, 2007, 01:25:13 PM »

Well, my brother is a real big fan of Brian and is happy when Brian sings a falsetto since the mid 70ies (Getcha Back, MIU, Sunshine, etc), but he did already know that Carl is singing the falsetto on GD, I was the only one on earth that didn't know.  Razz

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #663 on: October 31, 2007, 06:41:28 PM »

I'd like to know who sings the falsetto in "Love Surrounds Me"...in the middle of the song, there's an impossibly high voice that just soars.  Couldn't be Christine I would think, since she normally sings in a lower range with a huskier voice; she does sing a high part quite beautfiully in the fadeout, but this part is much higher.  My guess is either Bruce or Bobby Figueroa, and I'm leaning toward Bruce.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: October 31, 2007, 08:52:59 PM »

Not to bracktrack, but untill I joined this messageboard and read otherwise, I always thought Brian sang Mona.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #665 on: October 31, 2007, 11:39:46 PM »

Peter Buck probably still does !

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 01, 2007, 12:15:13 AM »

Per Good Timin', I really think Dennis should have had the lead on this one. His vocal really does lend an edge to the song which is really lacking in the official version.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #667 on: November 01, 2007, 01:22:23 AM »

Andrew, did you ever contact Peter Buck's people for plagarizing part of your Love You review from your book for his feeble attempt at liner notes?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #668 on: November 01, 2007, 03:59:56 AM »

Nope. To be honest, it never occurred to me. Besides, people might think he 'borrowed' the mistakes too.  Cool

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 01, 2007, 08:46:05 AM »

The first pass is evidently The Vocoder Kid. Could be Curt, could be the studio janitor.

The next pass - at 2.28 into the LP version - is so obviously Mike that I can't believe anyone could think it's Alan.

However, the same phrase as sung during the chorus does have Alan mixed high in the stack.

I'll take another listen to it from 2:28 onwards.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 01, 2007, 09:04:24 AM »

Peter Buck probably still does !

REM's in town finishing up their album. If I run into Pete wandering around downtown, should I ask him about "Mona"?  LOL

« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 09:05:52 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #671 on: November 01, 2007, 09:11:51 AM »

It sounds awfully like Alan to my ears - and funnily enough, I can't believe anyone could think it's not him  Tongue

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 01, 2007, 09:22:18 AM »

I'd like to know who sings the falsetto in "Love Surrounds Me"...in the middle of the song, there's an impossibly high voice that just soars.  Couldn't be Christine I would think, since she normally sings in a lower range with a huskier voice; she does sing a high part quite beautfiully in the fadeout, but this part is much higher.  My guess is either Bruce or Bobby Figueroa, and I'm leaning toward Bruce.

I think Myrna Smith is on a LSM session somewhere. Maybe its her.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #673 on: November 01, 2007, 02:31:20 PM »

I think Myrna Smith is on a LSM session somewhere. Maybe its her.

Wow, OK, that would make sense.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:57 PM »

Regarding L.A. (Light Album):

Did Brian really contribute absolutely no vocals to that album?

I think I read that he's on "Angel Come Home" at least. Someone would need to confirm that though.

I can confirm that Carl said "Brian sang on 'Angel Come Home' and other background parts" (Time Barrier Express, 1979).  When asked if Brian had any production input into the album Bruce said it was "More vocally", and Carl said "It was more performance this time", and then Bruce said "On 'Angel Come Home' it's mostly three-part harmony...until the choruses, then we added Mike".  An article published right around the same time in "Grooves" Magazine said "Brian's only real contribution to the new album has been his singing on a few tracks".  In that article, Carl said "Bruce and I had a lot of fun doing the background parts in Japanese" (on "Sumahama"), which might imply Brian in NOT on that one.

However I can also confirm that Bruce said Brian did NOT sing on "Good Timin'" (in another interview around 1995 or so, and I think he said it was b/c Brian was in the hospital at the time), and we know that he isn't on "Here Comes The Night" despite the fact that Bruce intended to get him on the high part. 

I can confirm that Bobby Figueroa said he did a lot of vocal work on the album with Carl.

And I can't confirm it, but I'm pretty sure Brian sang on "Shortenin' Bread" since they reportedly did the vocals in Miami.

I've been told that Brian (believe it or not) is not on "Shortenin' Bread," and that it was done while he was still at Brotman.  FWIW.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx