gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681020 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 02:05:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Found a "Landlocked" CD...  (Read 2011 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2007, 01:57:38 PM »

I was in a music store today and picked up a CD called "Landlocked and Rarities Vol. 2" for about 25 bucks... sound quality's pretty decent. 

Anyone know how this ranks among other "Landlocked" boots?
Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »

If you're talking about # 2 from the Dumb Angel series a small treasure. It has the proposed Landlocked album. So nothing new, some of them had an official release. The sound quality is OK, but the package is great because of all the extras. As I recall the extras are alternate versions of known songs. If you have an original, there's also a booklet. It explains the story of that album. It's a nice listen.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 09:21:01 PM »

Yep, it's an original, with the booklet intact.  The booklet raised a question though... it states that the BB's unreleased final Capitol album was actually meant to be titled "The Last Capitol Album", whereas the Bellagio discography calls it "Reverberation".

Which is the proper title?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 02:18:58 AM »

If you're talking about # 2 from the Dumb Angel series a small treasure. It has the proposed Landlocked album. So nothing new, some of them had an official release. The sound quality is OK, but the package is great because of all the extras. As I recall the extras are alternate versions of known songs. If you have an original, there's also a booklet. It explains the story of that album. It's a nice listen.

OK, looks like I'll be saying this from my deathbed - there never was any 'proposed Landlocked album' - at best it was the working title of Surf's Up for maybe two weeks until Van Dyke pitched in.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 02:23:06 AM »

Yep, it's an original, with the booklet intact.  The booklet raised a question though... it states that the BB's unreleased final Capitol album was actually meant to be titled "The Last Capitol Album", whereas the Bellagio discography calls it "Reverberation".

Which is the proper title?

According to the research of others, and Capitol memos, Reverberation is correct. the master is labelled "Last Capitol album", true, but then "Help Me, Rhonda" didn't get released as "I Hate Rock & Roll", did it ? According to the latest BB boot, the Wilson/Usher session of 4/16/62 actually took place  10/62 - good trick as one of the tracks was released the previous month. Beware bootleggers info.

TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 07:44:23 PM »

Ah, you're the person who wrote that discography I believe?  Just the person I was looking for!  Smiley  Incidentally, are you ever going to update that page?  I mean, now that "Mike Love, Not War" can officially be added to the list.

Incidentally, speaking of "Landlocked", what do you think about the booklet's note that "Til I Die" was an extraneous track not part of the 'album'?  I've never heard a Landlocked boot that had it, but if they're talking about the "Endless Harmony" version (which I believe they are), I would be inclined to agree with them... I wouldn't imagine that strange mix being intended for official release in any way.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 09:01:17 PM »

Ah, you're the person who wrote that discography I believe?  Just the person I was looking for!  Smiley  Incidentally, are you ever going to update that page?  I mean, now that "Mike Love, Not War" can officially be added to the list.

Incidentally, speaking of "Landlocked", what do you think about the booklet's note that "Til I Die" was an extraneous track not part of the 'album'?  I've never heard a Landlocked boot that had it, but if they're talking about the "Endless Harmony" version (which I believe they are), I would be inclined to agree with them... I wouldn't imagine that strange mix being intended for official release in any way.

Let's give Mike Love, Not War another coupla years before we report it officially MIA.  Cool

What do I think of the booklet note about "'Til I Die' ? That whoever wrote it doesn't know their basic BB history. That's a mix Steve Desper made for his own amusement - just like it says in the EH booklet.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 01:00:33 PM »

Stephen Desper has recalled going to the Warner offices and playing them what we call the "Landlocked" tape, implyting that it could have been an album if Mo and the powers that be had liked it - predictably they didn't, and it remained what it originally was, a compilation of tracks to consider for the next album.  By the way, what was the "official" name of this tape (on the tapebox) - wasn't it something like "Second Reprise/Brother album?"
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 01:19:16 PM »

Incidentally, what mix of "Til I Die" is on the other Landlocked boots then?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx