gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 04:42:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just found "Disco Celebartion" on vinyl  (Read 1763 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2014, 04:55:02 PM »

I just got back form the thrift shop and low and behold they had "Disco Celebration" for only a dollar... haven't listened to it yet but will let you know what I think on here when I do,,,
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »

The 'California Girls' on side 2 is *SPOILER* the absolute worst Beach Boys related production ever - the first time I heard it I laughed so hard I cried.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:00:14 PM »

can't wait to hear it....lol.. right now I'm listening to "Disco Symphony" (track 1) sounds a lot like "Winter Symphony"  Shocked the horns are cool, but it sounds like the same song...or very close to it... the lyrics are very Mike,,,
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:01:54 PM by joshferrell » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »

so "Disco Symphony" track1 sounds like a mixture of "Winter Symphony" and "Roller Skating child".. I'll post my thoughts on here as it goes..
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:09:35 PM »

Not sure what Mike's role in the creation of the album was (if it specifies on the sleeve please tell me since he doesn't sing one note) but I like to think he oversaw the whole project. If there were a biography written about Mike along with his heavy input, I'd imagine it'd read something like this:

"Mike, sitting in the producers chair as a king would in a throne, went about creating yet another boundry-pushing album that should have rocked the world, but instead, like many of Mike's best artistic endeavors, it was lost in a sea of mediocrity.
Session Musician: 'Sir, how shall I play the saxophone on this song? Your voice on the original is too sexy to give justice to with only my humble saxophone'
Mike: 'Then give your instrument the feelings you need' Mike bellowed heroically 'to play the song. Feelings come from within you, as well as without you - Ynow, George Harrison told me that in India when........"

and then somehow Disco Celebration was made.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »

track #2 "you can count on love".... it seems that mike nor Brian are actually singing on these songs at least not any lead vocals.. the lyrics on this one sound like Mike....Bass sounding horns sound very Brian... This sounds more like Funk to my ears than Disco, muted guitar strings, muted bass etc...better than "Here comes the night" Disco IMO..but not great... ok end of side one must turn the record over.. (yes there are ONLY 2 songs on the first side...lol)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »

Not sure what Mike's role in the creation of the album was (if it specifies on the sleeve please tell me since he doesn't sing one note) but I like to think he oversaw the whole project. If there were a biography written about Mike along with his heavy input, I'd imagine it'd read something like this:

"Mike, sitting in the producers chair as a king would in a throne, went about creating yet another boundry-pushing album that should have rocked the world, but instead, like many of Mike's best artistic endeavors, it was lost in a sea of mediocrity.
Session Musician: 'Sir, how shall I play the saxophone on this song? Your voice on the original is too sexy to give justice to with only my humble saxophone'
Mike: 'Then give your instrument the feelings you need' Mike bellowed heroically 'to play the song. Feelings come from within you, as well as without you - Ynow, George Harrison told me that in India when........"

and then somehow Disco Celebration was made.
you're right he's only listed on here as a songwriter...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:14:55 PM by joshferrell » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 05:20:06 PM »

Side B track 1 "California Girls"... the only song that actually mentions Brian anywhere.... WTF..... lol.... I'm typing this as I listen...lol... you're right it's pretty bad...no singing just saxophone... ok now there's some background singing... sounds like possibly Mike and Brian back there, but not sure because it doesn't say...lol...is that Al in the background? kind of sounds like him, but again can't really tell.. ok it's over... now to track 2
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »

Side B track 2 "Party Girl", girls singing throughout so far, no real Beach Boy sound on this one so far...reminds me of "Here comes the night" Disco.. similar bass line... the lyrics (again) are very Mike.... again reminds me of "Roller Skating Child"... not a very good song...  Roll Eyes very long without any change... finally it's over...
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 05:32:27 PM »

Side B track 3 "First Love" yes this is the same one from Mikes first solo album.... of course Mike isn't singing lead...so far it sounds very similar to the original version just slower...actually I think it's a little bit too slow... sax solo... they love the sax on this album. this is by far the best song on here although it's not great...female background singers (no Mike or anything)... ok the song is over and yes the album is over too, that's correct only 5 songs on it...lol... I'm not pulling this out to listen to again anytime soon but I'll keep it as a collector...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 10:50:04 PM »

So was this officially released? I remember some debate about whether it was released after it was pressed.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 11:15:17 PM »

So was this officially released? I remember some debate about whether it was released after it was pressed.
it must have been because I found it...lol....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 11:58:10 PM »

Side B track 1 "California Girls"... the only song that actually mentions Brian anywhere.... WTF..... lol.... I'm typing this as I listen...lol... you're right it's pretty bad...no singing just saxophone... ok now there's some background singing... sounds like possibly Mike and Brian back there, but not sure because it doesn't say...lol...is that Al in the background? kind of sounds like him, but again can't really tell.. ok it's over... now to track 2

Mike's only involvement with this album was to sing bvs on this track. No other BB the album at all.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 12:03:22 AM »

Mike's only involvement with this album was to sing bvs on this track. No other BB the album at all.
cool thanks  Grin
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx