gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:24:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Had Brian gone to India with Mike in 1968...  (Read 4794 times)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2007, 01:27:43 AM »

Had Brian gone to Rishikesh with Mike in 1968, do you think it would have fuelled his creativity as it did with the Beatles?

I was just watching the Beatles Anthology at weekend in which they said they had time in the two - three months they were there to write lots of songs and have a veggie diet.

Well, I thought it would have been ideal for Brian. Meditation, healthy living, alongside the Beatles, no drugs for thousands of miles, no pressure.....

Ok so we may not have had the Friends album but it may have sparked something in Brian to get him back on track...

Just a thought  angel

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
XY
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:19:49 AM »

Brian would have stayed in his room all the time and the song "Dear Prudence" would be about him.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 06:39:14 AM »

somehow, i bet brian and paul would have collaborated

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:10:32 AM »

Brian would've gotten the Maharishi and all of the hippies there to sing 'Shortnen Bread' together.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:54:29 AM »

It didn't really do anything for Mike...

“We live in divisive times.”
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 11:08:07 AM »

Get Brian on a plane going all the way to India in '68?  I doubt it -- look what it took to get him over to Holland in '72.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 01:38:24 PM »

Eating Tofu....Naaah! Grin
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 02:00:14 PM »

Brian would've taught the Maharishi how to levitate, and then teach the Maharishi how to brush his teeth by singing..."eat a lot, sleep a lot, BRUSH 'EM LIKE CRAZY...."
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:22:51 PM »

Meditation, healthy living ... no drugs for thousands of miles

I wouldn't count any of the three. Specifically, I don't think anybody ever said there were no drugs there, and considering how resourceful Brian was about getting them over the years (based on the books and documentaries), I'm sure even if nobody else was partaking, if he had wanted to, he would have. I wouldn't be shocked to find out he was eating meat (it isn't like all of India is veggie, after all--just the food at the camp), skipping meditation half the time and smoking a lot of hash.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 04:35:38 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me if the fact that The Beatles went IS THE REASON Brian didn't.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 04:41:38 PM »

somehow, i bet brian and paul would have collaborated

But why would he even want to collaborate with Brian when he had Mike Love there to write "Back in the U.S.S.R." for him?    Roll Eyes LOL
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 04:42:32 PM by CosmicDancer » Logged

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
MBE
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »

I am surprised that this idea isn't being taken more seriously. Brian flew to New York to see Maharishi in Janurary 1968. He was not in bad mental shape at the time. Even Al Jardine said Brian was doing well during the Friends album. An interview Paul Williams did with David Anderlade said Mike did indeed change for the better for the experience and that Brian knew about TM as early as 66. All the accounts, even those in the tabloidl books, said there were no drugs there. Brian also wasn't an addict like he became later at that point. I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching herem but I think we are confusing the Brian of 1978 with one of 1968. I know he was very spirtually enlightened at the time, Dennis once said Brian was like a guru himself around that time.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 06:42:59 PM »

I am surprised that this idea isn't being taken more seriously. Brian flew to New York to see Maharishi in Janurary 1968. He was not in bad mental shape at the time. Even Al Jardine said Brian was doing well during the Friends album. An interview Paul Williams did with David Anderlade said Mike did indeed change for the better for the experience and that Brian knew about TM as early as 66. All the accounts, even those in the tabloidl books, said there were no drugs there. Brian also wasn't an addict like he became later at that point. I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching herem but I think we are confusing the Brian of 1978 with one of 1968. I know he was very spirtually enlightened at the time, Dennis once said Brian was like a guru himself around that time.

But you never opined as to why Brian didn't go...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 06:46:54 PM »

As someone who didn't like flying to the likes of Houston, I don't think it's too shocking that Brian didn't want to go to India. I don't know that it has to be more complex than that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 06:49:43 PM »

I agree Luther...I mean we're talking remote mountains in India..!!no pianos or Baldwin organs...burger joints....
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 06:52:41 PM »

As someone who didn't like flying to the likes of Houston, I don't think it's too shocking that Brian didn't want to go to India. I don't know that it has to be more complex than that.

Are you talking about simply the fear of flying? Or unfamiliar surroundings? Or both?

In 1967, didn't Brian fly to Hawaii and the University Of Michigan?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »

Sure, he did some flying. But in this case, I can relate to Brian pretty directly. I am TERRIFIED of flying. I've done it plenty, including quite a bit for a while for my (former--largely for that reason) job. But it never goes away. And so if Brian hated flying just to tour, yeah, he could get himself to take a trip to this place or that, but a four-hour flight to Michigan or Hawaii is one thing...a 16-hour one to India is quite another. I can easily believe it would have been torture for him to even think about it. Hell, if I were him, I'd have turned up any drug habit I had just to help myself relax on the way...TM, my ass!

MBE
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2007, 10:55:57 PM »

I am surprised that this idea isn't being taken more seriously. Brian flew to New York to see Maharishi in Janurary 1968. He was not in bad mental shape at the time. Even Al Jardine said Brian was doing well during the Friends album. An interview Paul Williams did with David Anderlade said Mike did indeed change for the better for the experience and that Brian knew about TM as early as 66. All the accounts, even those in the tabloidl books, said there were no drugs there. Brian also wasn't an addict like he became later at that point. I don't mean to sound like I'm preaching here but I think we are confusing the Brian of 1978 with the one of 1968. I know he was very spirtually enlightened at the time, Dennis once said Brian was like a guru himself around that time.

But you never opined as to why Brian didn't go...

Hm well Luther could be right that the trip was too much of a trek. Other reasons could be that Marilyn was pregnent and Friends was being recorded.
XY
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2007, 11:01:11 PM »

Other reasons could be that Marilyn was pregnent

Yep. That was probably the main reason.
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 07:58:13 AM »

Just to chime in for the heck of it- I'm not so sure had Brian actually gone to India that it wouldn't have been about the same as the health kick with the tumbling mats and all that stuff with the Smile-era posse. Happy to agree conceptually to healthy living and direct his friends to eat healthy and excercise, all while he's chowin' steak and birthday cake. This is not a dig mind you, because I think it's human nature to a degree to want to have benefits by believing something while not actually practicing it. I think Brian is a pretty good believer, but perhaps not so hot a practicer when it comes to that stuff- that's the impression I got about his spiritual thing in the late 60's as well. Happy to read the books, not really into living the life. I think India would have turned out about the same. Brian talking about how great it is and how it's really blowin' his mind, while he and Ringo are on a quest to have burgers smuggled into the compound and begging off on the hours of meditation and lectures.

Dean
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:00:29 AM by voxnut » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 11:08:25 PM »

Here's another question. What would happen if Charlie Manson went to visit the Maharishi?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 03:21:35 AM »

Here's another question. What would happen if Charlie Manson went to visit the Maharishi?

They'd realise that they had quite similar beards...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 07:51:40 AM »

He would've gotten sick of veggies and proceeded to eat the Maharishi...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx