gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680775 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 02:47:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wouldn't It Be Nice To Live Again  (Read 191724 times)
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 07, 2013, 03:42:39 PM »

It will.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 07, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »

Though it is seldom hyped as a blockbuster, one of a kind classic

It happens all the time around here.

But apparently not memorable to Al Jardine, I asked him about it and he seemed to have no clue. He asked me three times to repeat the name of the song so he could remember to check it out for the boxset.

Who knows if Al's even heard it. Things weren't so linear and involving of all members starting in the late 60s. I'm sure there's several songs each member has no clue about.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 07, 2013, 03:48:09 PM »

There is unique, and then there is this, which looks almost unprecedented. Have other run-of-the-mill BB's reference and/or promo CD's for otherwise uneventful albums projects sold for this kind of money?

I honestly haven't been following any recent eBay activity for this kind of stuff (e.g. unique promos, rare acetates, one-offs/near one-offs, even master tapes, etc.)

But...I'll say this much: Had the seller specifically noted in their description as to the exact holy-grail rarity that was enclosed within...it would've sold for a helluva lot more than 400 bucks...lol! I've seen wall posters sell for that much!

(And...there would have been more than five bidders) Smiley

I'd be very surprised if the seller really knew what a rarity they had; they obviously were aware it was an in-house CD and therefore a rarity, but had they known exactly what they had there's no way they would have let it slip away. Not that I think they're sad about receiving $400 for a CD they were given for free

Beach Boys TWOTS CD compilation producer, Capitol Records: Cheryl Pawelski
Ebay Seller: Cheryl Pawelski

Sure she knows the original track listing and what a rarity it is!  Wouldn't be a bit surprised if she has more of 'em!

SO...  You've personally dealt with this seller and know from this their actual name is Cheryl Pawelski?  ( I'm betting not)
  I doubt she has the time to borrow from her day job to sell all the items to get an 8603 feedback.  

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 07, 2013, 03:50:09 PM »

Though it is seldom hyped as a blockbuster, one of a kind classic

It happens all the time around here.

But apparently not memorable to Al Jardine, I asked him about it and he seemed to have no clue. He asked me three times to repeat the name of the song so he could remember to check it out for the boxset.

Who knows if Al's even heard it. Things weren't so linear and involving of all members starting in the late 60s. I'm sure there's several songs each member has no clue about.
Yeah, it was obvious that Al didn't remember the track. But it was cool that he promised me he would check it out for the boxset (he did confirm that a boxset was being compiled). I really stressed to him that the hardcore fans really wanted to hear it.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 07, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »

Hopefully that counted toward something if it was ever in limbo at all. I mean they have to be aware of it being the most wanted unreleased Beach Boys track among the fanbase, generally speaking. They've mishandled some stuff in the past, but hopefully they know what the right thing to do is, in this case.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:57:55 PM by runnersdialzero! » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 07, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »

Hopefully that counted toward something if it was ever in limbo at all. I mean they have to be aware of it being the most wanted unreleased Beach Boys track among the fanbase, generally speaking. They've mishandled some stuff in the past, but hopefully they know what the right thing to do is, in this case.
I hope so. Al was very cool and we spent a good part of our conversation on the box. Some New tracks leftover from Radio, then I brought up WIBNTLA. He certainly understood I wanted it.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 07, 2013, 04:05:43 PM »

There is unique, and then there is this, which looks almost unprecedented. Have other run-of-the-mill BB's reference and/or promo CD's for otherwise uneventful albums projects sold for this kind of money?

I honestly haven't been following any recent eBay activity for this kind of stuff (e.g. unique promos, rare acetates, one-offs/near one-offs, even master tapes, etc.)

But...I'll say this much: Had the seller specifically noted in their description as to the exact holy-grail rarity that was enclosed within...it would've sold for a helluva lot more than 400 bucks...lol! I've seen wall posters sell for that much!

I'd be very surprised if the seller really knew what a rarity they had; they obviously were aware it was an in-house CD and therefore a rarity, but had they known exactly what they had there's no way they would have let it slip away. Not that I think they're sad about receiving $400 for a CD they were given for free

Sure she knows the original track listing and what a rarity it is!  Wouldn't be a bit surprised if she has more of 'em!

SO...  You've personally dealt with this seller and know from this their actual name is Cheryl Pawelski?  ( I'm betting not)
  I doubt she has the time to borrow from her day job to sell all the items to get an 8603 feedback.  

As Lee said in an earlier post, Cheryl's other Ebay auctions are all promos and industry comps. Coincidence? And since she's no longer with Capitol, she's probably got more time on her hands now. Or maybe it's even someone selling for her (friend/relative) using her name, who knows.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 07, 2013, 04:07:14 PM »

As Lee said in an earlier post, Cheryl's other Ebay auctions are all promos and industry comps. Coincidence? And since she's no longer with Capitol, she's probably got more time on her hands now. Or maybe it's even someone selling for her (friend/relative) using her name, who knows.

yeah, Lee making a supposition, which could be right or wrong.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 07, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »

I seriously doubt she (or he) knew it either. There would've been something in the description, and more likely the subject line itself. This is a seller who obviously deals in this kind of stuff on a serious level.

Though, I'd reckon that *after* it sold for 400 bucks, that same seller probably suspected *something* was up..lol.

(I'm actually a tiny bit envious of the bidders who were able to catch this one. Very impressive!)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 07, 2013, 04:42:12 PM »

I hope so. Al was very cool and we spent a good part of our conversation on the box. Some New tracks leftover from Radio, then I brought up WIBNTLA. He certainly understood I wanted it.
Are you saying that Al said there would be TWGMTR outtakes on the box set?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #360 on: April 07, 2013, 04:44:44 PM »

Yeah, it was obvious that Al didn't remember the track. But it was cool that he promised me he would check it out for the boxset (he did confirm that a boxset was being compiled). I really stressed to him that the hardcore fans really wanted to hear it.

These guys sometimes or often don't pay attention to the minutae the way we do. I find it hilarious usually. Like the 90's interview footage where George, Paul, and Ringo are together and George can't remember what song is on what album. It's hilarious.

Al may well recognize WIBNTLA if he heard it; he may remember the song more than the title, who knows? I remember a fan saying they ran into Al in the 70's to get an autograph, and handed him "Smiley Smile", and Al seemed fascinated as if it was some gem that had never come out or like it was a boot or something. Yet in later years, Al has ofen discussed the album and specifically that it was the "replacement" so to speak for "Smile."

There's an interview from 1985 of Brian promoting the new BB album where he's asked about the "Surf's Up" album and "Take a Load Off Your Feet", and he acts as if he has no clue what the interviewer is talking about. I find that hilarious for some reason, and it also makes me glad we have superfans and archivists to actually pay attention and care about this stuff. Smiley

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 07, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »

These guys sometimes or often don't pay attention to the minutae the way we do. I find it hilarious usually. Like the 90's interview footage where George, Paul, and Ringo are together and George can't remember what song is on what album. It's hilarious.

This is very, very true. Another example is when some musicians began using teleprompters to help them with lyrics while performing (a certain Mr. Wilson being among them). Some fans are outraged, in that they know every word. Fact is, many musicians don't. Most musicians I've known--obviously on an entirely different level--don't recall the level of detail about their own work that the average poster here does about the Beach Boys'. In fact, I don't recall my own songs, timelines, or recording facts as clearly as I do the Beach Boys' sometimes.

The experiences of being a musician and being a fan are very different. And that's for the best: would you really want musicians to be so self-absorbed as their fans are? To start writing self-referential music to the point of parody, for example? (oh, sorry, mike.)

I kid.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 07, 2013, 05:04:43 PM »

Are you saying that Al said there would be TWGMTR outtakes on the box set?

Yup. This was last August mind you. He said they were going to be doing some more vocals on some trackks. He mentioned Waves of Love specifically. Course, things change in time

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: April 07, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »

True, and there is also that bit edited together where they all start telling different versions of the same stories, I've referenced that before whenever someone gets miffed because Brian couldn't remember some part of Smile.  Smiley

But...consider that apart from George's lapse in memory there, he goes into very specific and very minute detail on various things in the Anthology book, and various interviews before and after, so it's not like his memory was totally shot. Little bits of events like them getting roughed up in the Philippines are brought out in amazing detail, probably because it affected them more than something the fans want to know.

Like anyone else who isn't a rock star, they hold some memories closer and remember them in more detail than others because the memories may be more cherished or important to them than, say, memories of the song "Take A Load Off Your Feet" might be to a BB's fan.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 07, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »

I really enjoyed the Alan Boyd (?) version someone posted a few pages back. I have given that and the AMCB version quite a lot of plays this last week.  LOL

Link seems to be gone, can someone please post it again?

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 07, 2013, 05:44:15 PM »

True, and there is also that bit edited together where they all start telling different versions of the same stories, I've referenced that before whenever someone gets miffed because Brian couldn't remember some part of Smile.  Smiley

But...consider that apart from George's lapse in memory there, he goes into very specific and very minute detail on various things in the Anthology book, and various interviews before and after, so it's not like his memory was totally shot. Little bits of events like them getting roughed up in the Philippines are brought out in amazing detail, probably because it affected them more than something the fans want to know.

Like anyone else who isn't a rock star, they hold some memories closer and remember them in more detail than others because the memories may be more cherished or important to them than, say, memories of the song "Take A Load Off Your Feet" might be to a BB's fan.  Grin

Didn't someone tell a story about Al being absorbed by the memory of an obnoxious goat from the Pet Sounds photo shoot?  Arguably the best album in the rock era, and Al's focus is on the goat.

That's not to make fun of him, just to say that memory is a funny thing.  Most of us don't remember the mundane details of our work, but if we're repeatedly attacked by an animal, even in a somehwat harmless way, it stays with us.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 07, 2013, 09:10:04 PM »

What else is there to say about Pet Sounds anymore, though? I'm basically tired of hearing about it at this point, I can't imagine how Al or anyone else feels when the billionth question about the Pet Sounds title or cover or whatever comes up.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 07, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »

If I was on a record like Pet Sounds I'd never want to hear the end of it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #368 on: April 07, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:03:22 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 07, 2013, 09:40:31 PM »

I made Pet Sounds, of course I do.

"The theremin was Carl's idea"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 07, 2013, 10:17:28 PM »

Doesn't BRI browse this board regularly?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 07, 2013, 11:57:13 PM »

So we've been informed. But it doesn't seem like anyone is up to any shenanigans they would care about.

More's the pity, really ...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: April 08, 2013, 12:05:37 AM »

Oh most definitely yes. I tell you true, when the board went down for a bit I thought that had something to do with it. The timing was nuts.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 08, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »

I don't know if you're being facetious but if you're not, who at BRI would be doing that? I want that job!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: April 08, 2013, 12:46:15 AM »

Not being facetious in the least.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx